InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Persistence ❯ Inu Nabe ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own nothing but Eidan, not Across, not Inuyasha, not even the other Across girls (my friends own them) *sighs* but what I would give for Fluffy-sama. He's my new muse you know… and yet I still don't own him.

Chapter 1

"Welcome to Inu Nabe High. There are four grades here and they all interact. Our teachers are top quality and work with the students to achieve highest potential. We have a wide variety of classes, including college courses. Our campus is large and is, in general, a nice place to be, take note of the 'in general' and any other warnings I absentmindedly slip in. The cafeteria is in the back, and the food can kill, off campus lunch is allowed, time is cramped. The classes are spread evenly throughout the school, though there are some classrooms gathering dust in the west wing. We have no school nurse. Before and after school groups are numerous, read the fine print. The roof is off limits, it's the best place to go if you feel the need to jump. We pride ourselves in the fact that our school is one of the most open, though that tends to attract the idiotic and criminally insane. I hope you enjoy your time with us and if you wish to have a meaningful life, stay away from them," Eidan, his guide, ended her speech by pointing to a group of girls who were skipping and singing "A-ku-ro-su". The whole time she had spoken quickly in a recited manner. "I'll see you around, here's your schedule." She shoved a piece of paper at him, then skipped off to join the "A-ku-ro-su" girls.

As he found his way to his first class, he reflected on why he was joining this insane asylum in the first place. His mother and father had divorced when he was nearly one and his father had quickly remarried and had another son. After something around thirteen years, his mother had finally decided to talk to his father. Tsuyosa, his mother, and Yanagi, his step-mother, had quickly become friends. Now, four years later and a year after Yanagi's death, his parents were back together and he, Sesshoumaru, was forced to go to his half-brother Inuyasha's school. He wasn't happy to say the least. As he was entering the classroom, after skirting a brush with the "A-ku-ro-su" girls, who seemed content to fawn over him, he ran into someone… a not very happy someone.

"Hey, watch where you're… FLUFFY?!" A growl escaped his throat as he stared down at his half-brother. "What in the seven hells are you doing here?"

"I have told you repeatedly not to call me by that despicable name. As for why I am here, you should have listened to father when he spoke to you this morning." With that said, he pushed his way into the classroom and took a seat near the back. It wasn't long before he realized that there was someone sitting next to him, and they weren't in a good mood, not that anyone really seemed to be that day. Except for the already loathed "A-ku-ro-su" girls… he really needed to find another name for them.

"Inu no baka. Baka, baka, baka. Why can't he mind his own business? Stupid, stupid, stupid dog. He's worse than Jii-chan," she grumbled, slouched in her seat. Her ebony hair was pulled up loosed, pinned with a butterfly clip, blue-grey eyes glaring at nothing.

He stared at her for another minute or so before she finally realized he was there.

"Inu… wait. You're not Inu. Who are… Wait, are you… No… are you? You are, aren't you?" Her eyes brightened and dimmed as she spoke, though that didn't accomplish much.

"I cannot answer your question if you do not complete it," he responded in his usual semi-monotone voice, straight-faced, though his eyes concealed mild amusement and slight anger at being called Inu.

"You are Sesshoumaru aren't you?" she asked, sounding it out slowly, looking at him in a way a kindergarten teacher might look at a student who was having trouble, that patient understanding with a hidden annoyance.

"Indeed, but is it necessary for you to talk slow in order to remain articulate?" He watched in growing amusement as she clenched her fists, snapped her jaw shut, and to face grew a bright, cherry red.

"Inuyasha was right, you are an ass."

"Now that is something I never believed I would hear."

"What? That you're an ass?" she questioned incredulously, anger still evident on her face.

"No," he replied, fighting the smirk. This girl had not ceased to amuse him. "That Inuyasha was right about something." She huffed, crossing her arms and pouting in semi-defeat.

"Inuyasha may be an idiot, but at least he's got manners." Her voiced revealed that she didn't believe her own words.

"Indeed? That, too, is something I never expected to hear. You are rather full of surprising revelations, aren't you, girl?"

Finally defeated, the girl abruptly stood, her chair toppling over at the force. Without so much as a glance in his direction, she stalked to the door, grabbed the arm of another girl standing there, and plopped down in the front seats, as far away from him as she could get.

His amusement continued to grow. He didn't even know her name, but she was even more entertaining than Inuyasha, and that was saying something. As she ranted to her friend, she threw glares back at him, then turned the glare to the friend as she started to laugh. It was then that class began.

"Ohayo," the teacher croaked as he walked in and Sesshoumaru nearly face-vaulted. Jaken, his previous history teacher, a once employee of his fathers, and one of the many banes of his existence, was here, once again his teacher. He had never figured it out, but Jaken seemed to idolize him. It wouldn't surprise Sesshoumaru if he was stalking him.

"I am Mr. Jaken and I will be your teacher this year in place of… whatever her name was. Now, I will take roll and we will begin."

"Ano… Jaken… sensei?" It was one of those girls, and she kept glancing back at him.

"Yes… uh…"

"Jen," she said, looking at Jaken in disgust as he turned his greenish face toward her. "We have a new student in class, don't you think you should introduce him?"

"Ah… what? Oh! Yes, yes." Jaken scanned his list. "Ah! Sesshoumaru-sama!" he shrieked, "Please forgive this Jaken, he did not know you were coming here!" There was an awkward silence among the students as everyone turned to stare at Sesshoumaru who continued to stare ahead with an annoyed stoism. His earlier amusement long gone. Meanwhile, in the front row, the girl's shoulders shook in silent laughter.

The class continued that way with Jaken croaking his apologies, Jen fawning over Sesshoumaru, Sesshoumaru staring ahead, the class staring at him, and the girl in the front now laughing aloud.

***

By the time lunch rolled around Kagome was prepared to move to New York. That or London… or maybe somewhere in the Sahara Desert, or the Amazon Rain Forest, somewhere far away where it would be hard to find her. Sesshoumaru had been in every one of her classes. It seemed like he was stalking her - not that he didn't have his fair share of stalkers himself, in fact, she doubted there was one person in their insane asylum of a school who didn't have a stalker - and he obviously took enjoyment in her suffering. She half expected him to be standing there, next to Sango and Miroku, waiting for her so they could go to lunch. Luckily for her questionable sanity, he wasn't. Inuyasha, however, was, and she was still angry with him. Hojo, who had, just the day before, been eating with them and was prepared to ask her out, was now eating in the cafeteria with a black eye and a fear of anyone close to Inuyasha.

"Hey, Kagome," Inuyasha started as Kagome reached them. "You know-"

"Shut up, Inuyasha. You're forgiven, just don't do it again," Kagome sighed, rubbing her temples to fight the migraine that had slowly crept up on her in the course of the day.

"Are you… okay?" he asked, slowly backing away in case she turned Psycho Kagome on him.

"You know, Inuyasha, your brother is drop-dead gorgeous, but he's an asshole."

"Half-brother," Inuyasha corrected automatically as her statement processed in his brain. "I've said he was… wait… did you say gorgeous? Please say you didn't. Fluffy is not gorgeous. If you think he's gorgeous then that means you're attracted to him in some way, and that's bad… ugh, bad image. You didn't say gorgeous, did you? You -"

"Inuyasha!" Kagome yelled, smacking him on the back of his head.

"What?!" he snapped, rubbing the spot where she hit him.

"You're rambling. Don't worry, I'm not going to chase after your brother. Besides, he's got his hands full with Across as it is." Over her shoulder Sesshoumaru could be seen, flaring in Inu's direction as Across stalked him, "hiding" every so often in the most ridiculous places. Inuyasha just turned and slinked off, grumbling to himself.

"Well, I have to agree, he is hot," Sango said, smiling slightly. "I kind of feel sorry for him, what with Jaken and Across after him." Miroku put on a hurt face and took the opportunity to be himself and was rewarded with a twenty pound bag in his face.

"Stupid lecher," Sango grumbled, walking off in Inu's direction, leaving Kagome to deal with the unconscious pervert.

"Here we go again," Kagome sighed, stepping on Miroku to follow after the other two who were now nearly out of sight.