InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pill Poppers Anonymous ❯ Mel-adromatic ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha

chihiro-san: Hellooooooooo! How're all of you doing? I'm CRAP. I just got my `progressive report' from school and I got all B's and one C. For me, that's CRAP. >.< Grrrrrrrrr… Why do you hate me, homework Gods? Why? Ah well. By de way, the fabulously amazing Queen Klu asked a very good questionie when she reviewed. She asked if Kagome was really crazy or not. You see peoples, sickness of the head isn't always extreme. Kagome seems to be schizophrenic (i.e.: eye-tracking dysfunction, neglecting hygiene, staring at something unmoving for days on end (very extreme), dilutions, etc.). Not every mental disease involves hopping around like a lunatic singing randomness. Trust me on this; I did a LOT of research for this ficcy. I did more research for this than I do on most school projects! (Which would explain my grades…-.-o) Either way, you probably don't want to here me ramble, so buh-bye!

~*~*~*~

Finally the endless day came to a close and Inu Yasha could breathe a little more freely. There was even a slight bounce in his step as he trekked up and down his wing. One last routine check on his patients and he'd be free to go. First he peered into Kimi's room. She was sitting on her bed, hugging her thighs, and mumbling to herself. Nothing unusual there. He coughed loudly, causing her to jump in surprise.

"Bedtime Kimi," he informed her. She nodded and slid under her covers. He closed the door noiselessly and opened the one next to it. Two more left and he was a gone gosling. He peeped through the narrow opening he created to see Todachi, preening himself and making `bauwking' noises.

"Bed, Chicken Boy," he barked. `At least he didn't steal the eggs from the cafeteria fridge today,' sighed Inu Yasha as he closed the door. Now it was Kagome's turn. She'd expressed bluntness earlier today, as well as a terrible lack of expression. She seemed…empty. And quite reclusive. These were not good signs. `I wonder how she's doing?' he mentally asked himself as he silently pushed open her door.

Kagome was seated at her desk, hunched, and apparently writing something. Inu Yasha slipped into the room and took a little look around. On the walls were a few pictures of friends, family, pets, and places that seemed to be snipped out of magazines. On her bed was a multi-colored quilt and a stuffed kitten. She even had a small mirror hung above her desk with old movie ticket stubs taped to it. He directed his gaze back to his patient in pink plaid p.j.'s. She seemed calm. Normal. But then, in the middle of writing her letter, she switched hands and began writing with her left. Inu Yasha frowned. `She's showing signs of mixed-handedness. This is not good, but normal for a schizo. She really does take after her grandfather,' he inwardly noted. Just then, Kagome glanced up in her mirror, saw her doctor, and whipped around in her chair.

"Oh doctor!" she exclaimed, clutching her chest with her hand. "You scared the bejeezus out of me!" Inu Yasha laughed a bit at her before moving up beside her.

"What are you writing?" he asked as he leaned against the wall.

"Just a letter to my friends, explaining that-well, you know," her expression quickly dropped. She folded the letter neatly and placed it to one side. They stared strangely at one another before Inu Yasha smiled.

"I like the decorations," he voiced.

"Really? You're not just saying that?" she queried.

"Actually I am just saying that. Guys don't really go for quilts and kittens, but it's nice all the same." Her jaw went slack at his rude comment, then clenched in indignation.

"You're an awfully coarse doctor," she grumbled.

"Coarse, huh? Haven't heard that one before. Maybe I should write it down. Either way, it's time for lights out. Get in bed."

"Or you'll what?" she sneered. He scourged his mind for a good, simple, effective threat. Instantly one came to him. He snatched the stuffed animal up off of Kagome's bed and put a claw to its neck.

"If you're not in this bed in ten seconds the kitty gets it," he warned. Quicker than lightning she was under her quilt and looking up expectantly at him. He raised an eyebrow at her.

"What's that look for? D'you want me to tuck you in?" he growled.

"Gimme my kitty," she hissed. He glanced down at the moldy old stuffy as he handed it over. Why would she keep something so ragged and old? He motated over to the door and flicked off the light. He was almost out the door, when-

"Goodnight, Dr. Yasha!" she called. He jolted to a halt before easing the door back open.

"G'night Kagome. And it's Inu Yasha, not Dr. Yasha."

"But you're my doctor."

"Yes, but your mother is the only one who addresses me that way."

"So I can't?"

"Not unless you want to be like your mo-Kagome. Stop. No more talking; it is time for bed. Good night," he curtly spat as he shut the door with a snap. Kagome stared at the empty darkness for who knows how long before she tuned over in bed and began to cry.

~*~

"Going home?" Sango asked. She held the door for Inu Yasha while he caught up to her.

"No, actually, I was going to go rob a bank and then go crash a few cocktail parties," he grumbled.

"Oooo. Someone's a sarcastic grumpy-butt tonight," she whimsically grinned before setting off for the parking lot. "What's with the lovely mood?"

"Oh…nothing," he sighed.

"It's that new girl, isn't it?" Sango prodded. His eyes grew with shock before narrowing in apprehension.

"How did you…" he trailed off. She giggled as she reached her car.

"I'm psychic," she smirked. "Don't worry. Anyone would be grumpy with Higurashi's daughter for a patient."

"It's not that, it's just…I think her condition is worsening. I know that I haven't interacted with her long, but she seems pretty messed up. I just feel bad for her," he added.

"Inu Yasha, you have to quit feeling sorry for patients. I know that a lot of them are pathetic and deserve your feeling of grief, but lets face it; if you continue to sympathize as intensely as you do now, you'll have a nervous breakdown before you're twenty-five," she stated. He kicked a loose bit of gravel out of the way, preferring to look at his feet than at Sango. Finally, as they reached her aqua blue Volkswagen, he had to ask.

"Um, Sango?" he grimaced. She stopped unlocking her door and stared at him. The seriousness of his voice caught her attention.

"Yeah?"

"I kinda need a ride home, and since Miroku left with that nurse, could you give me a lift?" he sheepishly asked. She rolled her eyes at him.

"Hop in," she sighed. He smiled broadly at her as he dashed over to the passenger side of the Bug.

"Thanks a million. You're a lifesaver."

~*~

Slowly, gradually, a few days slipped by. Things were going quite smoothly for everyone at NIMH, except Kimi. Her condition was worsening and she seemed on the verge of collapsing from exhaustion and despair. Her personalities kept her up until all hours of the morning and trying to keep them at bay was wearing her to the bone. Finally, when she seemed to be on her last legs, Rin delivered the goods to Inu Yasha. She presented him with a golden retriever puppy, roughly nine months old, and was so happy with herself that she seemed ready to burst.

"Look, Inu Yasha! I got the puppy like you asked for!" she bubbled. He grinned and ruffled the poofy fur that crowned the pup's head.

"He's a cute one. What's his name?"

"Mini Yasha!" she chirped. Inu Yasha balked and turned a lovely shade of pale.

"WHAT?!" he yelped.

"Just kidding. His name's Charles," she grimaced and pulled a face. "Icky name!"

"Yeah, it does sound a bit odd for a pup. It's more of a name for a CEO of some computer company. Hmmm…. Why don't we name him-"

"Chuckles!" Rin pipped.

"No, not Chuckles. How about Charley?" She considered his proposal and grinned.

"Okee-dokey. He does kinda look like a Charley, doesn't he?"

"Yeah. Now hand him over; I want to give him to Kimi straight away." He took the leash from a reluctant Rin and marched the puppy down the hall. Okay, marched wasn't the operative word. More to the point, Inu Yasha was dragged down the hall by a surprisingly strong pup that inquisitively sniffed anything and everything. They reached Kimi's door in no time flat, even though Charley felt the need to peep into every room before hers.

"Kimi!" he called when he and the pup finally reached her semi-open door. "I have a present for you." He side stepped through the door and forced the pup into a sitting position on her gray carpet. She stared at the pup for a while, and then a small, sweet smile crept onto her face. She slid off of her bed and crouched down in front of the pup.

"What's his name?" she asked.

"Charley," Inu Yasha announced. Her smile widened as she played with the puppy's fluff. But as soon as she rubbed the tips of his velvety, golden ears, she frowned.

"What's wrong?" her doctor asked.

"His ears aren't as soft as yours," she mumbled. The corners of his lips lifted ever so slightly at her honesty.

"No, maybe not. But Charley's your puppy now." Her head lifted sharply to look at him. The eyes that usually held a confused expression melted in front of him and filled with utter happiness and love.

"Oh thank you, Inu Yasha! Thank you!" She leapt to her feet, stumbled past her pup, and flung her little arms around her doctor's neck. He was thrown back a bit, but gained composure and hugged her uncomfortably back.

"You're welcome," he gasped. She backed away from him, knelt by her puppy again, and sighed.

"Isn't amazing? Doctor gave us a puppy!" she breathed.

"Yeah, amazing. That jerk has never done anything for us before," she spat.

"I like Doctor Inu Yasha."

"Me too. He's nice."

"At times."

"Yeah, when he wants to be." Kimi glanced back up at her doctor, who was staring at her in an incredulous way. She had just bashed him and defended him at the same time. How was he supposed to feel about that? He slid his hands into his pockets and smiled back at her.

"Well, I gotta go Kimi. Rin will be `round later to drop off Charley's things."

"Okay. Bye doctor! And thanks again!" she added. He chuckled quietly to himself as he exited her room…only to run headlong into the Mistress of the Underworld herself. Dr. Higurashi quickly hopped to her feet, glaring at Inu Yasha with the most icy, fiery, electrifying way that only she seemed to know how to give. He gulped and cringed, still rooted to the floor where he fell, and smiled weakly. What had he done now?

"You…" Higurashi hissed.

"Me?" he squeaked.

"I don't believe you." Her words slashed at his feelings like icy knives. At every syllable he shrunk deeper and deeper into the tiles he sat on. His boss may have been speaking in little less than a whisper, but everything she breathed stung like alcohol on an open wound. She continued: "You incompetent, worthless, addle-brained, fool of a mongrel! Why do I trust you with anything? Do you know what you've done this time?"

"N-no, ma'am," he winced.

"Whom did you tend to this morning?"

"W-well, I-I saw Todachi, ran a few mental tests with him, and gave him his medication."

"Go on," she urged quietly.

"Th-Then I saw Mel, ran a few tests with him, and gave him his med-"

"Did you now?" she interrupted in a dangerous voice. "Which medication?"

"His medication."

"Really? Do you have it with you?"

"Yeah, I - " she snatched the orange tube out of his hand right as he pulled it out of his pocket. She examined the tube once before handing it back to him.

"Rin has Todachi's medication, I presume?"

"Yes. I gave it back to her when I was through with it, and that's when she presented me with Kimi's new treatment. I wanted to get it to Kimi as fast as poss-"

"Whose medication are you holding? Read the prescription out loud." She crossed her arms and raised a finely arched eyebrow at him. He looked down and read the label on the bottle, even though he knew whose it really was. An immense feeling of shame and guilt flooded over his whole body as if someone had dumped a bucket of cold water over him. Reluctantly, he responded.

"Todachi's," he whispered.

"That's right. It's Todachi's, isn't it? You mixed up their medication, didn't you?" she sneered.

"Yes ma'am, I'm sorry, but apparently I did."

"You're sorry? That's all you have to say? When Kikyo did her morning rounds to everyone in the hospital did you know what she found?"

"No ma'am."

"She found that Mel was dead. You killed him. Your stupid, ignorant mistake killed an innocent man and all you can say is you're sorry. Sorry won't bring him back to life, you filthy cur!" Inu Yasha felt his jaw go slack. He had what? But Mel was alive and kicking only hours ago. It seemed so surreal. Images swirled before his eyes, forcing Inu Yasha to clamp them shut in order to keep himself from throwing up. He moved to his knees and gripped his hair in agony.

"I-I…..ohmigawd….huuunngg…." he whimpered. Somehow, through the swimming images and the distorted noises, he heard Higurashi speaking.

"People have died before. It is not uncommon. I'll inform Mel's family of the incident and tell them that he had overdosed on purpose when his bipolar disease fell into its depressive stage. But I must warn you, Dr. Yasha, I am giving you one month, and if you don't shape up and start helping your patients instead of killing them, I'll fire you and make damn sure that you never have another job as a psychiatric physician again." She stomped off, leaving the desolate hanyou to his own devices. But his own devices seemed to be broken, for all he could do was clutch his knees to his chest and shudder. It wasn't until Kikyo rounded the corner on the way back to her wing an hour later that he stopped. She rushed over to him, fell into place beside him, and draped her arms around his shoulders.

"Oh my goodness, Inu Yasha," she simpered. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" he choked as he stood on wobbly legs. "I'll tell you what's wrong: I've killed somebody! That's what's wrong!" She hopped to her feet as well and tried to hug him.

"I'm so -" she began to say, but he shrugged her off and shuffled down the hall away from her.

"Not now, Kikyo. I have to check on Kagome. Her condition seems to be getting a little worse and I have to try not to kill anyone else in this God forsaken place," he mumbled over his shoulder. She watched him wander down the hall and into Kagome's room. When he had disappeared behind her pale gray door, Kikyo pulled a face and folded her arms over her chest.

`Higurashi's daughter? You'd rather find sympathy in Higurashi's daughter than with me? I don't by your innocent "checking up on Kagome" act for a minute, buster. If you two start acting cozy…' she mentally fumed and stormed back to her wing.

~*~*~*~

chihiro-san: Well-y well well! That certainly set the mood for this fic, dontcha think? ^_^ Gomen nasai, everyone! I was on an extended vacation in Palau and Japan and couldn't write to you! Please forgive me! My vacation, however, inspired me and I've thought of a brand new fanfic idea! I've written up the first chappie, so all I have to do is type it. But, I'm swamped with homework overload! I'll try to write it soon >.< I'll inform all of you when it's up.

Ja ne!