InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Plea of a Fading Soul ❯ He's There ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One
He's There
The Shadow Man…
Kagome had first seen him that day in the village - when everything had seemed to be ordinary and as right as rain.
Inuyasha bowed his head and frowned in thought, his arms folded. Now that he actually had time to think he wondered where Kagome could get the help she craved. Clearly he wasn't helping her enough.
It had been so long… Kagome was at the point of no return. Either this Shadow Man guy left her alone or she was going to be driven mad.
Inuyasha felt a chill run down his spine, turning the blood in his veins to ice water. He turned. Without even seeing him, Inuyasha knew someone was standing within the shelter of the trees - hiding. Could it be…?
Straightening up, Inuyasha narrowed his eyes.
“I've been expecting you, hanyou…”
Inuyasha shrugged off the stranger's purring tone. He unfolded his arms and clenched his fists.
“I know who you are,” Inuyasha warned, his voice ringing with anger. The silhouette within the mass of trees encircling Inuyasha, laughed. Chuckling pitifully - a predatory sound. Almost sympathising. It was as if he had just won a fight… or knew he was going to win one…
Inuyasha felt his control over the situation slipping already. “I mean it!” he cried, backing away uncertainly. He had no idea why he felt so affronted by the person before him, but the sound of his voice made Inuyasha want to turn on his heel and run.
The figure began making his way forward, approaching Inuyasha and entering the clearing - setting a challenge.
Inuyasha felt a tremor run up his leg. A muscle jumped - an instinct he was born with.
Quit now! Run away! Danger, danger, DANGER!
Inuyasha felt the world slipping from him. I'm not afraid… I'm not afraid… He kept trying to tell himself. But his defences were buckling and his expression was one of pure fear. His pupils were tiny, his skin was pale and his lips were trembling in anticipation.Say something…
Inuyasha clawed up his fingers and snarled, his last shot at redemption. He had to be brave… he had to be- “I'm not afraid of you!”
The shadowy figure froze for an instant and then softly shook his head, exasperated. And Inuyasha saw his face, then. But he refused to believe it… refused to
see It - It's not possible…
“Poor,
poor hanyou. How can you not fear when I am Fear itself…?”

Kagome was on the steps of a shrine, her head resting lightly on Sango's shoulder as she slept. But even in her dreams - even then - the Shadow Man could still reach her.
Her brows were furrowed, arcing downwards in fear or pain. The sweat and tears had dried on her face and all that remained was the corpse-like white of her skin and the trembling of her lips.
Sango, however, blinked - apparently awake. The sun had risen, the sky was a glorious blue and the moon was fading into a backdrop of rose-coloured clouds. The ghost of the night was slowly receding. Sango smiled.
Birds whistled in the surrounding trees, Shippo's light breathing was soft and peaceful, and the sound of the breeze flitting past lulled her into a false sense of security.
Only Kagome noticed the darkness under its `beautiful morning' façade.
Her eyes flickered open, pupils wide at the prospect of a storm-free morning. No shadows. No darkness. Everything's going to be fine! And then there it was. The foreboding feeling that crept into her gut every time she awoke. Shadows… shadows everywhere. Where is he?
She sat bolt upright - the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end. Sango turned to face her, a grin splitting her face in two. “Nice morning, isn't it, Kagome-ch-?” she didn't finish. Kagome looked like a frightened animal that was slowly backing its way into a corner.
There he is… Her eyes were fixed on an object in the distance, staring at some sort of well that was still in use.
Her face was skeletal and pale, and her body throbbed with every breath, every tremble.
“Kagome?”
Sango put a hand on Kagome's shoulder, offering support. But her friend flinched and jumped backwards. “Don't touch me!” Kagome snapped, looking alarmed, angry and startled. She stood up, and was beginning to run away when strong hands grabbed her lower arms, reaching from behind - wrapping around her.
One name came to mind - only one person who was capable of emerging out of thin air. Shadow Man!
“Let me
go!” Kagome screamed, trying to pull away whilst kicking out with her legs. I can't do anything… The Shadow Man has no weaknesses… Sango! Sango, can't you see him? It's the Shadow Man! Help me, Sango, help me-!
“Oh no you don't!” snapped a familiar, scolding voice. No… it's just a trick. Don't listen to him, Kagome, it's the Shadow Man - it's his trickery! Keep trying to escape! But Kagome was slowly going limp like a puppet without strings.
Her breathing was reduced to gasps and pants. The pressure on her arms didn't loosen, and neither did she expect it to. “Inuyasha,” Kagome sighed, relieved that her voice was steady.
The grip Inuyasha held on her slackened slightly in uncertainty. Kagome ignored him. Instead, she looked back up at the well. H-He's still there…
“Can't you see him?” she said finally, her voice timid - pleading and squeaky, afraid.
Oh God, I don't want to be insane… but they must be able to see him, they mustbe able to…
Inuyasha had been looking down at her, but now he turned his gaze on the well. He felt the nausea hit him hard, as it always did, and he felt the churning in his stomach. His eyes stung and his lips trembled as he replied, “There's no one there, Kagome.”
But I wish there were, his mind finished. Because then I'd know you weren't insane…
Kagome seemed to cave in on herself, defeated. She looked away. Sango had been watching with anxiety and worry plastered across her face. No, she hadn't been shocked by Kagome's outburst - she knew that her friend had become… unstable. Which had made the search for the jewel shards ever more challenging. Could they really trust her judgement any more?
She still cared about Kagome, despite her sudden actions and harsh words. And it was why she was here, watching with pained sympathy.
A tear traced its way down Kagome's cheek as Inuyasha physically turned her so they were facing each other. Kagome looked up guiltily, their faces inches apart. She could practically feel the tension reverberating off of him in waves. She wanted to grab his hands, say some comforting words… but she wasn't ready to.
Not until he sees him. Not until he knows I'm right, that the Shadow Man really is there…
Inuyasha's amber eyes were now the colour of spun gold - they always turned semi-yellow when he was upset. When he spoke, his voice was thick and concerned.
“You've gotta stop doing this, Kagome,” he said softly. “You say that you keep seeing people, but-”
“No,” Kagome cut in.
Inuyasha, startled, opened his mouth. Kagome shook her head.
“Just the one. You said `people', but I only see him,”
Inuyasha's insides knotted up. “Who?” he asked softly. He already knew the answer.
Kagome averted her eyes, not looking at him. Instead she found herself staring at the shadowy figure lounging carelessly by the well. He was smiling - his eyes laughing at her. They'll never believe you, Higurashi…
Kagome gulped, feeling warmth spilling out of her eyes. She couldn't get around the blockage in her throat, and it made her want to gag - just staring at that mocking expression… knowing that she was going mad, that no one else could see him and nobody could stop him…
“I - I don't know who he is…” she spoke, her voice rising as the emotion overwhelmed her. “I don't know how he got here, or what he wants - but all he does is FOLLOW ME! And I want it to STOP, okay!” she stopped talking to her friends and turned on the dark apparition in the distance.
“Do you hear me! STOP IT! Leave me alone!” she screamed. Inuyasha grabbed her back again, roughly. He was angry now, she could tell.
You stop it, Kagome! There is nobody there! All you're doing is hurting yourself!” he cried, shaking her furiously.
Kagome's head lolled back and forth dangerously, but Inuyasha didn't stop. “What is with you!” he shouted, his cheeks pink with fury, “Why are you doing this? To get attention?”
“Inuyasha, stop! You're hurting her!” Sango protested. Miroku, who had been asleep a ways off, was slowly blinking the sleep from his eyes. He was sitting up, confused. “Houshi! Houshi, make him stop!” Sango called. “He's yelling at her again!”
“I-Inuyasha?” Miroku began, but he saw how Inuyasha was treating Kagome. He stood up and rushed over, grabbing his staff hastily.
“Give me a
name, Kagome - a name! Who is this guy you think you see? Who is he, huh?” Inuyasha roared.
He felt as if he were being shredded into pieces with every word. He hated treating her like this, but he wasn't getting a reaction. Why didn't she just sit him, for crying out loud?
“S-S-S-S…” Kagome was stammering. The world was a blur of colour as she was shaken to and fro. “Sh-Sh-Sh…”
Inuyasha leant in closely, his eyes narrowing to slits. “
Tell me!”
“Shadow Man!” Kagome cried - backing out of his grasp - tears flowing freely out of her eyes. “I call him the
Shadow Man! I don't know who he is, I don't know his name, but he's here and look what he's doing to us…”
Inuyasha took a furious step forward, clenching his fists, when Miroku appeared behind him. His own face was stormy. “That's enough, Inuyasha,” he said, calmly, glaring at the half-demon.
Kagome dropped to the floor, bowed her head and sobbed. Sango put her arms around her friend.
“I'm so afraid, Sango… so afraid…” Kagome wept into her shoulder. Each tear was a dagger in Inuyasha's side. He buckled, and then began walking away, his head bowed.
He shook his head - suddenly tired. “Go back to sleep, Kagome. Just go back to sleep…”