InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Possessive Streak ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Possessive Streak
An Inuyasha Fanfiction by Besa

Timeframe: Sometime after book 16, but before the Shichinintai arc.

::Chapter One::
----

Another day dawned bright and clear in the Sengoku Jidai of Japan. The wind played with the trees, the birds were singing, the ramen was burning. . .

“Oi, wench! Get the fuck up and fix this!”

Higurashi Kagome woke to the acrid scent of burning plastic. When Inuyasha called out to her, she sighed. This is the fifth time this week. . . The girl stumbled out of her sleeping bag to grab her water bottle.. As she dumped the contents onto the remains of what had once been food, Inuyasha heard Kagome muttering about “trying Cheerios” and “the supposed inflammable properties of fire rat kimonos.” He figured it was better if he didn’t ask.

Kagome dug into her enormous yellow backpack, feeling around for a second container of instant ramen, as well as a breakfast cereal bar for herself and another water bottle. She handed the ramen to Inuyasha, warned him to read the directions or else suffer her wrath, ate the cereal bar, and took a swig from her water. Grabbing her bathing supplies, Kagome glared at her companion warningly.

“Don’t you dare peek, Inuyasha!”

“Yeah, yeah. . . “ Inuyasha was putting a water-filled teakettle on top of the fire, waiting for it to boil.

Taking his response for as much of an answer as she was going to get, the girl wandered off to the nearby hot spring. I wish Sango was here, she thought.

Sango and Miroku had split from Kagome and Inuyasha a few days beforehand, off to check rumors of a village terrorized by a colony of snake demons. Kagome tried to shake off her thoughts as she reached the edge of the spring.

She took off her shoes and socks, sitting down on one of the many boulders surrounding the spring, letting her feet dangle in the water, her mind wander. It touched upon various issues from the last year: from being dragged down the well, to shattering the Jewel, to discovering about Naraku, to this most recent expedition into the past.

Kagome slipped out of her pajamas and slid into her bathing suit, wincing a little as she stretched scabs still sensitive from wounds received in battle days before. After locating the best way to enter the pool, Kagome stepped into the warm water.

“Mmm. . . This is heaven. . .” The problems of her life melted away as she relaxed and cleaned up, gently scrubbing at her body and hair. However, reality intruded all too soon as Kagome noticed the water turning pink, accompanied by a metallic scent. “What the. . . Blood?”

She swam to where the pink tinge was most concentrated, rested her hand on the rock ledge behind her as she stood in the waist-deep water and looked around. “With this much blood, some animal must be injured or --” Kagome felt liquid splatter on her shoulders, “--something!” She looked up and resisted the urge to vomit.