InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Punishment ❯ Chapter 2: Mamoru ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2: Mamoru
 
Kagome lay on her side in the long grass. Freshly dried tears clung to her face as she lay with her knees drawn to her chest. Kagome was very averse to crowds and lately had avoided all human contact but now she suddenly felt drawn to people.
 
Something had been accomplished within her soul when she involuntarily remembered the day her life changed, and with it came a thirst for accompaniment. She was so weary after a whole month of concentrated misery and gloomy agitation that she longed to breathe, if only for a moment.
 
It sometimes happens that we find ourselves interested from the first glance in complete strangers, even before we have spoken to them. A man who had been observing Kagome from his hidden vantage point for a long time made such an impression.
 
“Ahem…” Kagome sat up straight and stared at the strange man only a few yards away from her.
 
She kept her eyes fixed on the man, partly because the man gazed at her equally steadily and plainly wished to enter into conversation with her. He was a man of over forty, of middle height and build, with mussed hair and a large bald patch. His face was bloated with continuous drinking and he was obviously drunk already.
 
His complexion was yellow, even greenish. From between his swollen eyelids his little reddish slits of eyes glittered. But there was something else very strange about him, his eyes had an almost euphoric shine, they seemed to hold both intelligence and good sense, but gleams of something like madness showed in them as well.
 
After a short while the man addressed Kagome in a loud and decided tone:
 
“You, why do you weep? Will you allow me to speak some words of truth to you? Although you bear no evidence of distinction, I feel you are a person of great importance.” The man moved closer to Kagome and sat next to her.
 
“I am…I was…my name is Kagome…”
 
“I am sorry, my name is Mamoru. I was in the business of education. Are you studying?”
 
“No, I…not anymore” replied Kagome, surprised at being addressed so directly and partly because of this mans peculiarly florid manner of speech.
 
In spite of her momentary wish for contact, of whatever kind, with other people, no sooner had this contact actually happened than she felt the old unpleasant feeling of exasperated dislike for any person who violated her privacy.
 
“A student, than, or a former student…if you'll excuse me…” Within the folds of his robe Mamoru pulled out a rather large bottle of sake and a glass and began to drink rather hastily, as if he hadn't had anything to drink for several days.
 
Although he was drunk he spoke rather fluently, only occasionally hesitating and losing his place. The avid attention Mamoru placed upon Kagome made it seem as if he had no one to talk to for several days.
 
“My dear lady, is it said where you come from that poverty is no crime?”
 
“Where I come from?”
 
“Yes, I took the impression from your attire and mannerisms that you are not from this area, forgive me if this was misguided.”
 
“I could say the same about you…” Kagome was only slightly offended because the statement was, in fact, true. `Not any more' she reminded herself.
 
“Yes, well, we could say that the men you have had chance to meet are quite unlike me” he said with a small chuckle that turned into a hard, deep cough “I am from a larger village to the north. We pride ourselves in the divine art of learning.”
 
“I see…why do you ask about poverty?”
 
“I am among the unlucky thrown into poverty against their will, and they do say that drunkenness is a virtue…that they do say…” Tears began running down the man's face, slowly tracing a path through the dust and dirt.
 
Kagome took a small handkerchief she kept with her at all times and began to wipe the tears from his eyes. Mamoru took the piece of cloth and examined it, the handkerchief wasn't special, just one of the few things her father had given her before he had died.
 
“Better?” She asked.
 
“An undeserved kindness, my lady”
 
“What do you mean by that?”
 
“Beggary, my lady, beggary is a vice. In poverty the honor may still be preserved, but never in beggary, not by anybody. In beggary a man is driven forth from human society, no, we are only swept away with a broom. My dear lady, a month ago my wife was beaten by the headman of my former village. While I…I was begging for my life back.”
 
“That's horrible…”
 
“It has been five days hence my wife and I and our three children were swept from my village. We have been traveling south ever since. I cannot…the children cannot travel anymore.” He filled his glass again, drank it off, and sat in deep thought.
 
Looking at the state of his clothes and hair Kagome found it easy he had neither dressed nor washed for five days. His greasy red hands were particularly dirty, with black-rimmed nails.
 
 
-------2 Months Ago-------
 
 
Kagome opened her eyes and found herself in a deep forest she didn't recognize. The only light came from a small opening in the canopy.
 
Kagome looked around after her eyes adjusted to the light. In the distance she saw a clearing. She struggled through the trees and emerged in a small grass filled area bathed in light.
 
In the middle of the clearing lay her brother, Souta. She rushed over to find no signs of life in him, “Souta…” she whispered.
 
“Souta!” Kagome screamed as she held her brothers head to her chest. Violent sobs wracked her body, sending strong shivers up her spine.
 
A familiar feeling took paramount in her mind. She felt jewel shards all around her, coming closer at an alarming rate.
 
Kagome stood and looked around, if there really were jewel shards, she should be able to see them, and they should be in the clearing by now. The trees around her shuddered and fell, the demon Naraku came at her from all sides.
 
“No…that's impossible, you are dead!” She shouted.
 
Flash
 
Rain pouring down in sheets fell on the hissing remains of the demon Naraku. Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru stood facing each other, having just killed the demon with their collective power.
 
Kagome stood off to one side, having also been instrumental in the bringing down of the demon. But helpless to end the suffering of Inuyasha, who had just lost Kikyo; or Sesshoumaru, who just lost his mate, Kagura.
 
Flash
 
Sango sat cradling Kohaku's broken, lifeless body. Naraku, hoping the power of the completed jewel would save him, removed the jewel and tossed aside the body. Effectively ending Sango's brother's life.
 
Miroku stood over Sango offering words of comfort that never reached her ears.
Kagome stood off to the side, nothing she could do could ever help.
 
Flash
 
One of Naraku's runners flashed through the air, aimed at Kagome, the arrow, aimed at his heart, missed the runner and killed the demon instead.
 
The appendage was stopped from impaling Kagome by Shippo, who flung his body in the way.
 
Shippo's body lay on the ground. Kagome was relieved to see the kit would live, however he may never walk again.
 
The love and adoration she saw in Shippo's eyes was the last thing she saw before…
 
Flash
 
Kagome was once again in the clearing. She looked up to see an image of Inuyasha, swinging Tetsusaiga in a wide arc connecting with Naraku.
 
The vision of Inuyasha and Naraku both vanished at the same time.
 
Kagome was left alone holding her brothers lifeless body. Closing her eyes, Kagome focused all of her energy on her brother, hoping that she had at least something that would save him.
 
Kagome opened her eyes again and looked up into a warm face.
 
“Inuyasha.”