InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pure ❯ The Hanyou and the Miko ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter One: The Hanyou and the Miko

She sat at her desk, idly fingering the shikon no tama, it's pinkish glow illuminating her fingers slightly. Naraku defeated, the jewel shards collected...it appeared as though their journey had ended. The miko sighed, her eyes gazing out her bedroom window expectantly. If that was true, it sure didn't seem like it. They had tried using the jewel shortly after it had been completed, each comming up with a different wish, only to find that none of the wishes worked. Miroku had wished for all of the company's saftey, a simple wish yet not one that had worked. Sango had wished for the return of her brother, who had died in the battle of Naraku, still no response from the jewel. Shippou had wished for a father figure, of any sort, but the jewel seemed to ignore this wish as well. InuYasha had made his wish in private, and had told no one of his desires, but the jewel had obviously not answered him either for, no matter what they seemed to try, the shikon no tama remained impure. Not to mention, now more than ever InuYasha was gone off on his 'trips', refusing to tell anyone where he was really going, though deep down...Kagome knew. He was sneaking off to see Kikyou, and though the reason for his frequent visits may have something to do with the shikon jewel, it didn't make her feel any less upset. Would he ever see it? Would he ever be able to tell that she felt this way about him? 'I love him' she thought, sadly, 'when did I figure that out?' Oh, what did it matter, anyway? She loved him, and that was that. But she'd rather battle one thousand Narakus before admitting that to him. Sango had voiced her opinion about it many times, most reccently, just yesterday...

Sango smiled, almost sadly, at Kagome, shaking her head as she watched Kagome stare at InuYasha retreating back. Kagome blushed, suddenly aware how obviuos she was being, and looked back at the exterminator. "Tell him, Kagome, there's no better time." Kagome shrugged off her friend's comment and looked intently at the ground beneath her.

"He's...occupied...with the jewel and, well, other
stuff..." Sango rolled her eyes, wishing she could make her see, that InuYasha really, truely felt the same, despite Kagome's humble thoughts...

"If you mean his sneaking off, you know that's just because of the Shikon no tama problem we're having, even if he IS going to see Kikyou." Kagome forced a smile for her friend, silently disagreeing with her words.

"Maybe..." Sango bit her lip. Who was she to point fingers? When had SHE ever confessed her feelings to that certain monk...Kagome didn't bring that up, though, not today, for she was already deep in her own thoughts.

Kagome frowned at the memory. She'd always appreciated Sango's support in the matter, but she only wished she could belive the same thing. Groaning in frustration at their current situation, she rubbed her temples angrily. 'InuYasha and Kikyou...the jewel still impure...Sango insisting I should spill my guts to the hanyou...'

And ontop of all that, she was falling drastically behind in her schoolwork. Being her last month of school, the homework was really piling on thick, and it was almost too much for even her, the girl who could do it all, to handle. Kagome sighed again and picked up her pen, prearing to re-write the report, already a day late, that the stupid hanyou kept inturrupting. 'If he's not annoying me in my thoughts, he's annoying me in real life!' she thought, shaking her head. This entire ordeal was doing nothing to help her already bad mood. As if on cue, a large blur of red burst into her room, looking somewhat disgruntled. "Yo, Kagome, what the hell are you doin???" he asked loudly, looking down at her open notebook.

"Well, I WAS going to finish this paper, before you inturrepted!" 'again!' she thought in dissmay, 'Will I ever get this finished?' InuYasha snorted, not willing to take any disagreement.

"More school stuff, huh? That's no suprise...anyways, wench, we have some work to do-" Kagome cut him off before he could finish.

"Anyways, baka, I have some homework to finish, so I'm not going anywhere until it's done!"

"Wench! Come on, we ain't got time for this homework shit you do, we gotta go figure out that shik-"

"The shikon no tama, yeah yeah, I know!" She replied, annoyed. Whenever he came for her and mentioned the sacred jewel, that awful feeling in the pit of her stomach returned, and she had a pretty good idea why. "But you have to let me study, or..or...or I'll never come back!" She knew this was an obvious lie, and apparently he did too, for he rolled his eyes in non-belief.

"Keh. Now you're lying."

"How do you know? And, what do you care? What's it to you if I never come back? Can't you do everything on your own? You don't even care about me!" The words were out of her mouth before she even had time to realize what she had said, and by the time she did, it was too late. InuYasha blinked slowly, staring at Kagome with a trace of shock.

"Wh-what did you say, wench?" Kagome frowned and looked away, blushing.

"I didn't mean it," she mumbled, embaressed, "it just sorta...slipped out..." InuYasha shook his head. After all those times he'd protected her, the times he'd risked his life to save her, always carrying her around, making sure she was alright...after all of this, and she honestly thought he didn't care about her? He should have been angry, he should have yelled at her, called her an ungrateful wench...but instead, he felt like finding the highest tree in the fudeal era and staying in it for the rest of his life. "Am...am I...upset?' he thought, hardly believing it. He tried to tell himself it was all in his head, but he knew...those words had hurt him. Instead of saying anything at all, he turned and walked away, leaving Kagome standing behind. He made his way slowly to the well house, and jumped into the well before she could come after him.
But not before he smelled her tears.

___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________


'you BAKA!' Kagome screamed mentally, pacing around her room, salty tears spilling from her eyes. 'HOW COULD YOU DO THAT? After all he's been through, all that stuff he's done for you..and you have the gall to tell him he doesn't care? You are such a...a...a BAKA!' She sighed angrily, plopping down on her bed. She grabbed her pillow and burried her face into its soft cotten fabric, not even trying to contain the tears that fell rappidly from her sad brown eyes. Why did she say that? How could she say that? She had only ever wnated to make him happy, to be the reason he smiled...instead, she said something she knew would hurt him. 'you think it's true, don't you?' a nasty questioning voice in the back of her head asked her. 'you MEANT what you said. You don't think he cares about you.' She shook her head furiously, sitting up-right in her bed. 'that's riddiculous! I know InuYasha cares about me! He's always protecting me, saving me...' she gasped suddenly, as another thought breeched her already full mind. 'it's the jewel! He doesn't want you, need you...he only cares about the jewel.' But, as soon as the thought had come, she shoved it instantly out of her brain.

"No," she whispered feircely, "He cares about me. I know he does. Even if it's just as a friend, that should be enough."

So why didn't it feel like it was?

_____________________________________________________________ ________________________________________


InuYasha raced through the forest, seeking the solitude of the Goshinboku. He was used to Kagome's anger, the fights they shared...but this was different. She had taken the one thing he was sure she knew, the one thing he had accomplished in his life so far...taking care of her. And to think it was all because of the sacred jewel? That thought was almost unbearable. Did she have no idea what she did to him, how much she meant to him? 'No,' he told himself, 'because you never let her in.' He sighed quietly, something he usually never did, and jumped up into the comferting branches of the God tree. How many times would this happen? Fighting, when they could be...'together?' he thought sadly, 'is that what you were thinking? Pathetic hanyou. You can never be together...you don't deserve her.' It was true, he wasn't worthy of her affection...no one chooses to be with something like him- tainted, vile, half human. She deserved better...better than him. He shoved his hands into the sleeves of his haori, looking up at the moon. 'She didn't mean it,' he thought forcefully, 'she knows you care about her.' He shifted uncomfertably on the limb of the tree, trying to convince himself this was the truth. 'It might HELP, baka...' he thought angrily, 'if you didn't keep sneaking off like that all the time! You know exactally where she thinks you're going, and that just hurts her more!'

"Yeah, yeah, I'm a horrible person..." he muttered in frustration. He knew he should go talk to her..."Keh! Why the hell should I? SHE needs to aplogize to me! I didn't do nothing!" Of course, she was still under the impression he was sneaking off to see Kikyou...he knew this would happen, and that was his cover. "She has a right to know," he whispered to the moon, eyes reflecting it's silvery glow, "and she will...soon enough."


A/N
ohh yeah, first chappie is done. Go me. And...is he really going off to see Kikyou? Hm. You know what people say when you assume things..

------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------


Chapter Two: The Exterminator and the Monk



Kagome stoof up, galncing around her room hopefully. There were no visable signs that InuYasha had ever decided to stop in and visit, r come back for her, and it had been three days since their...well...she wasnt sure what to call it. 'Oh, man,' Kagome thought miserably, 'he must really hate me!' Not that she could balme him. But...if he wasnt such a BAKA!!! No, she couldnt blame this on him. It was her fault. So she had to fix it. SHe nodded her head in approval, she made up her mind. She was going back to the fuedal era to make things right. She gathered her things slowly, remembering she had a few things yet to finish in her time so this trip would have to be quick. Shoving a few packets of ramen into her bag, she smiled to herself. She knew she couldnt live long without him, even three measly days. For some reson, that discovery gave her comfert. She knew it in her heart, he was the one. Always had been, always would be.

"Bye, mama!" Kagome called out to her mother as she ran towards the well house. "I won't be long!" She opened the door of the small wooden hut and peered cautiosly into the well. "Hmm. Maybe I could put this off for a little while..." she gulped nervously. "No. No, I have to go apologize. Now." She told herself this, but couldn't get her legs to respond. "Any minute now, I will go down that well..." She sighed hopelessly. Why was this so hard? It shoudlnt be. She swung her legs over the side, and took a deep breath, as if she were about to plunge into and endless sea. "Okay,girl, let's go." she hopped into the well, the time slip engulfing her, and as she floated in the gap between five hundred years, she saw something that made her look twice. "I-InuYasha?" she murmmered, shocked. He stood (well, not really STOOD, seeing as thery're in this blueish floaty space thingy...) there next to her, looking just as suprised.
"Keh." was all he said in response. Staring at one another, neither of them spoke as their feet landed softly on the ground of the well in the fuedal era. She blushed and lloked away, hitting herslef mental for not thinking about what she was going to say to him.

"Um...InuYasha, I just...I came here to..." InuYasha stood, silently, waiting for her. He was so used to that now, waiting...just for her. "Well, what I mean is...I...what I said earlier..." InuYasha snorted.

"Don't choke on it." There was a trace of seriousness in his voice, and not the slightest bit of sarcasm. He wasn't going to ignore this any more than she was.

"I'm...I'm so sorry." She could feel her eyes sting with tears, but she didn't dare let them fall down her cheeks. InuYasha shifted uncomfertably, always unsure what to say to that.

"Don't worry bout it. No harm done." Kagome looked up, an expression of complete and total shock on her face.

"I...I...InuYasha?" Was he...being nice? Since when had he been this forgiving. He blushed and turned his back to her.

"Are you gettin on, or are we gonna spend the whole day down here?" Kagome felt herself smile, and hopped on his back.

"InuYasha? Umm...th-thank you..." He snorted. She sighed contently, and didn't see the grin growing on the hanyou's face.

____________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________