InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 2: Defiance ❯ Christmas Wish ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 17~~
~Christmas Wish~
 
~*~
 
 
“Finger.”
 
Toga wrinkled his nose but did as Sierra asked as he shifted the papers from one hand to the other and reached over to stick the tip of his index finger into the configuration of ribbons where she needed his `help'.
 
She tied the bow, trapping his finger underneath and giggled. “Oops. Sorry.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“What do you want for Christmas?” she asked as she leaned forward to reach the scissors she'd accidentally kicked out of her reach.
 
“I don't need anything,” he remarked absently. “Just leave my fingers attached, okay?”
 
She shook her head and opened the scissors to curl the ribbon. He winced at the noise but didn't comment. “Everyone wants something for Christmas,” she countered, “so tell me what your Christmas wish is.”
 
He smiled, glancing up from the merger proposal with a soft chuckle. “Are you going to spend some time with me?”
 
She nodded as she set the scissors aside and arranged the ribbon.
 
“That's good enough.”
 
Fingers stilling, Sierra slowly looked up at him. “Really?”
 
He dropped the proposal he had been going over and smiled, turning to lean against the sofa with his elbow on the cushions. “Really. Is it that hard to believe?”
 
Shaking her head, she ducked her chin but not before he saw the trace of pinkness seep into them. “Sometimes I think you're too good to be true.”
 
“Far from perfect,” he remarked with a wince. “What do you want for Christmas?”
 
“I don't need anything.” She gathered bits of paper and ribbon and stuffed them into an empty shopping bag. “Mom asked me if I was going to bring anyone to Christmas dinner . . .” she trailed off, a shy smile twitching the corners of her lips. “I don't suppose . . . you'd like to go with me?” Wrinkling her nose, she grinned. “That is, if you're not busy.”
 
Toga chuckled. “All right.”
 
She smiled as she got up to throw out the small bit of trash. She stopped in the doorway and glanced back at him. “And no peeking in that bag.”
 
Toga blinked in surprise as he eyed the bag he was supposed to stay out of. Leaning forward just a little, he sniffed cautiously but smelled nothing other than the plastic bags and the dusty scent of the wrapping paper. With a dejected sigh, he sat back, wondering if there was another way to get around `peeking' . . .
 
Sierra breezed back from the kitchen with two bottles of water. Laughing when she spotted the almost pouting expression on his face, she handed him the water and retrieved the bag. “I know that look,” she remarked over her shoulder as she headed down the hallway to stash the mystery bag somewhere. “You can wait `till Christmas.”
 
“If you already got something for me, then why did you ask what I want?” he grumbled. `I could find that bag, if I wanted . . . I didn't learn tracking for nothing . . .'
 
Sierra shuffled back into the living room. “Well, the thing I got you is really small. I thought I'd get something else, too. So tell me what you want.”
 
He shook his head. “I told you: I don't need anything.”
 
She made a face. “You are so full of it. I saw how excited you were when I told you to keep out of that bag. Admit it, Toga. You want to know what's in it.”
 
He snorted. “Keh.”
 
She knelt beside him and tugged off his glasses. “Better. Those things hide your eyes.” Her smile faded as she stared at him. Eyebrows drawing together thoughtfully, Sierra slowly reached out to touch his cheek. “Toga?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
She cleared her throat and opened her mouth to speak before closing it again, as though whatever it was she wanted to say was difficult for her. With a slight shake of her head as her cheeks pinked in nervousness . . . or was it embarrassment? He had trouble discerning the difference between the two, she finally managed to speak. “Can I . . . would you . . . show me your real face again?”
 
Surprised by her request, Toga stared at her.
 
Sierra took his momentary lapse as hesitation and made a face. “Forget it . . . I just . . . it's not important.”
 
“No . . . I was just . . . you caught me off guard,” he told her. Closing his eyes, Toga released the concealment spell. He knew it worked when Sierra sucked in a sharp breath.
 
“Why are your markings blue?” she asked as she idly traced the lines on his cheeks.
 
Momentarily bemused by the touch of her fingers, Toga cleared his throat and blinked as he struggled to comprehend her question. “I don't know . . . they're the same color as my grandfather's, or so I've been told.”
 
She frowned as she considered that. “Your father . . . he has a mark on his forehead, doesn't he?”
 
The mention of his father drew a grimace from him, and Sierra leaned back at the blatant show of fangs. “Sorry,” he muttered, pushing away the irritation that he just couldn't help. “As for my father, yes. The crescent moon denotes him as a poison-bearing youkai.”
 
She nodded slowly. “That makes sense . . . but you're not?”
 
“No,” he agreed. “Aiko is, though. She bears the crescent moon seal.” He suddenly chuckled and shook his head. “She scratched me once, when we were pups. I didn't think it was ever going to heal. It took forever. She was mad. I took her doll and threw it up in a magnolia tree in the back yard . . . Uncle Yasha said that's what I deserved for taking something from a girl.”
 
She smiled. “Ahh, you were a bully.”
 
“Keh! Aiko and I were typical, I guess. We fought often enough. One time, she and I got into a yelling match—we were very young, and it was shortly after Uncle Yasha followed Aunt Kagome through the well—and I used one of Uncle Yasha's more colorful words . . .”
 
“What word?” Sierra asked reluctantly.
 
Toga laughed. “Bastard . . . he told me that it was his way of telling my father how much he cared about him.”
 
“Oh my . . .” Sierra giggled.
 
Toga shook his head. “Mother wasn't impressed. Come to think of it, neither was Aunt Gome.”
 
Sierra frowned suddenly. “Followed her through the well? What does that mean?”
 
Toga sighed. “It's a long story. I'll tell you if you want to hear it, but . . . it's a really long story.”
 
She settled down and wrapped her arms around her legs, resting her cheek on her knees. “We've got time, don't we?”
 
He nodded, raising his eyebrows as he drew a deep breath. “All right . . . but don't say I didn't warn you . . .”
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
Sierra sat up and rolled her head back and forth to alleviate the stiffness in her neck. “You were right. That was a long story.”
 
Toga shrugged. “I warned you.”
 
She grinned and flopped back on the floor. “Are you sure that it's true?”
 
He chuckled, pulling her back against his chest as he wrapped his arms around her and wondered just how it could be that Sierra felt so very perfect right there with him. “Cross my heart. After everything else you've learned about me, do you really doubt this story?”
 
“Good point,” she conceded with a sigh but still looked dubious. “But that would mean your father is . . . over six hundred years old?”
 
“Actually, he's older than that . . . We stopped counting.”
 
Her smile faded, and she turned her face away. “I'm sorry, about you and him . . . I feel like it's my fault that you're not talking to him right now . . .”
 
Toga shook his head. “Don't feel that way. He chose it. He had no right to do what he did to you.”
 
She didn't look comforted. “But he's still your father.”
 
“He's my father,” Toga agreed. “I respect him, but I don't like what he did, and I won't let him do it to you, ever again.”
 
She turned her head, green eyes cloudy with a strange undercurrent of emotion as she slowly pulled away and scooted around to face him. Staring at him for what felt like forever, she smiled. “You said you'd protect me.”
 
He nodded.
 
She laughed softly. “Like your uncle promised your aunt?” she teased as she flopped back, stretching out on the floor.
 
He nodded again as he laid down next to her on his side, propping his head on his hand as he stared down at her.
 
Her cheeks pinked prettily, and she shook her head as a rather shy smile quirked the corners of her lips. “I get the feeling it's a big promise, isn't it?”
 
“Yeah, but . . . I didn't want to scare you.”
 
Her smile dissipated, replaced by a serious look in her eyes. “I'm not scared anymore; at least, I'm not scared of you.”
 
“Sierra—”
 
She leaned up on her elbows and pressed her lips against his to silence him. Drowning in the fragrance of apple blossoms, lost in the warmth of her, Toga reached around her neck, supporting her head with his free hand. She sighed softly, her breath misting his lips, sending pulses of electrifying need shooting through his body.
 
She leaned to the side to free one of her arms. Sinking her fingers into his hair, she kissed him slowly, tenderly, teasing him with the softest brush of her lips on his. He dragged his fangs over her mouth, a low growl issuing from him. The feel of her silky flesh against his fangs was too much, too nice, too perfect . . .
 
Trembling against him, Sierra let him support her, let him coddle her, let him hold her tight. The sensation, the pure rush of adrenaline shot through him. A complete tenderness, the rise and fall, a heady emotion, an unerring sense that the sun, the moon, the stars all met in her, Toga was humbled and empowered, damned and sanctified in a singular moment, in a beautiful purity of absolute completion.
 
Her body whispered to his, the shifting of scent, the draw of emotion, the overwhelming desire to lay claim to her was tempered by another need, another wish. To cherish her, to protect her, to love her . . . Breaking the kiss was a hard thing to do. A soft whimper wrenched from her as he pulled back, Sierra's gaze was unsteady, her breathing ragged and rushed. She closed her eyes for a moment, managed a weak smile that was no less stunning to him, no less amazing.
 
“I, uh . . . I think I got carried away,” he admitted, his voice still husky.
 
She laughed unsteadily as she reached up to hold tangle her fingers into his. “I think I did, too.”
 
“Sierra . . .”
 
“Don't apologize, Toga.”
 
He kissed her fingers, nipped at the tips with his teeth. He heard her catch her breath; he felt the shiver run down her arm. “You are amazing.”
 
She smiled despite the light flush that dusted her cheeks. “You are insane.”
 
With a sigh and a grimace, Toga shifted slightly, willing his body to understand that the moment was gone. Too bad that it wasn't listening . . . Grinding his teeth together as he sought to ignore the absolute ache that was like to kill him, he heaved a sigh and shook his head. “I'd better go.” He kissed her fingers again and let go then gathered up his things and shoved his glasses back onto his face as he secured the disguise once more.
 
Sierra stood up, a confused frown on her face. “It's only eight . . .”
 
Toga sighed and grimaced as he turned back and saw the hint of hurt in her expression. “Sierra . . . it's not you. I . . .” Trailing off as he struggled to find a way to explain to her, Toga tilted up her chin, stared into her eyes. “I've never felt this way before, but you . . . you're precious to me. I won't do anything that might hurt you.”
 
She didn't look like she agreed. Finally she nodded. “Will I see you tomorrow?”
 
He managed a smile. “Do you want to see me tomorrow?”
 
Her eyes lit up when she smiled, too. “Yeah . . . I think I do.”
 
He hugged her quickly then kissed her forehead. “Good night, Sierra.”
 
“Good night, Toga.”
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
“Inutaisho? Toga? Hello?”
 
A sharp cough beside him shook Toga out of his musings. Toga blinked quickly and cleared his throat. “I'm sorry. You were saying?”
 
Mike Sampson shook his head slowly but grinned. “There'd better be a damn good reason for your preoccupation, Toga. Do I know her?”
 
Toga felt his face warm as the other people in the room sniggered. “It won't happen again,” he said, ignoring his boss's warped sense of humor.
 
“The second oldest lie in the book, Toga,” Mike said with a chuckle. “Care to update us on the Whitestaff-Hamlin merger?”
 
Taking a few moments to look through his files for the contract that he didn't need, Toga straightened his glasses before answering. “The finalization should be confirmed Wednesday, and the press announcement is ready to be released to coincide.”
 
Mike grinned broadly, his ruddy complexion deepening by degrees. “Good . . . excellent! So all your cases will be wrapped up by Christmas? Would you mind helping Kari with a couple of hers? It'd be great if you could look over the Stockton-Eaton merger.”
 
Toga glanced over at the young woman. Fresh out of college, she'd been brought in just after Toga. She offered him a small, tight smile that somehow matched the severe knot she wore at the nape of her neck. “Not a problem,” he answered.
 
“I knew I could count on you!” Mike declared happily. “Okay! That's it!”
 
The others stood to leave. Toga sighed as he started gathering his files together. He was more anxious than normal to see Sierra. Stuffing the folders into his attaché case, he was caught off guard by the manicured female hand that reached out to help. He glanced up in time to catch another strained smile.
 
“I don't really need your help, you know,” Kari remarked brusquely as she stepped back.
 
Toga snapped the levers on his case and jammed his hands into his pockets. “I didn't say you did.”
 
She offered him a very tight little smile. “But you agreed to help me.”
 
Sparing a moment to stare at the woman, he shook his head and shrugged. “Mike asked me to.”
 
She narrowed her gaze on him. “Of course he did,” she replied in a clipped tone, as though the entire situation made perfect sense to her. “He wants you to look over the Stockton-Eaton merger, right?”
 
“Yes,” he agreed slowly.
 
She nodded, giving him a look that made Toga feel as though he were three years old all over again. “So that one is supposed to be signed tomorrow morning unless Stockton backs out at the last minute.”
 
“Tomorrow?” he echoed incredulously.
 
She nodded again, her eyes darting over him in a very candid assessment. “Yes, tomorrow,” she stated once more. “So do you want to get some dinner?”
 
“What did I just miss?” he asked slowly, tamping down the desire to tell her that he already had plans for the evening. Springing this on him at the last moment? `Thanks a lot, Mike,' he thought ruefully.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
Toga grabbed his briefcase and glanced at his watch. “Well, you just got done telling me that you don't need my help . . . now you're asking if I want to get dinner?”
 
She shrugged. “It's not like we've been given a choice, and I'm hungry.”
 
“All right,” he agreed since what she said was true enough.
 
“I'll get my coat,” she said as she strode out of the conference room.
 
Toga sighed and dug out his cell phone. Dialing Sierra's number, he stifled a sigh.
 
“Hello?”
 
A sudden pang shot through him. All he really wanted to do was to spend the evening with her, after all. “Hi, Sierra . . .”
 
“Hey! I figured you'd already be here,” she said.
 
Pushing the door closed enough to drown out the sounds of the busy office, Toga let out a deep breath. “Yeah, I'm still at the office.”
 
“Working like a dog, huh?” she teased. “I rented a couple of movies and got popcorn. You'll probably think that the movie's girly and all that, but I really wanted to see it . . .” He could tell from her tone that she was smiling.
 
He winced, wondering just how lame he was about to sound . . . “Yeah, about that . . . Something came up. I can't make it, after all.”
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~ =~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
Hikaru1617 ------ DarklessVasion ------ cjflutterbye ------ Iggy Lovechild ------ chichiwvu ------ Kyonarai ------ angelica incarnate (in dog form? Sure … If you draw it … ) ------ FullmetalArchivist
==========
FFnet
myeerah ------ Flames101 ------ BloodyKitsune ------ Clawfang ------ Akihanah ------ Ryguy5387 ------ Jasmine Fields ------ SilverStarWing ------ katie janeway ------ lil-epad
==========
AFFnet ------ AScom
akdreamer ------ snowfall ------ Kadaede ------ fruitcake ------ Jaxomruth
==========
Final Thought from Toga :
That sounded … so lame
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Defiance): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~