InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 3: Forever ❯ Misconceptions ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 38~~
~Misconceptions~
 
The softest kiss brushed over her cheek woke Nezumi from a deep sleep. Smiling before she fully regained a semblance of coherence, she started to roll over but was stopped when tiny pinpricks bit into the skin of her belly. She'd nearly unseated Yukitora, and the kitten wasn't impressed with the interruption.
 
“Morning, Nez,” Ryomaru murmured as he lay back down, nuzzling against her neck.
 
“I'm still sleepy,” she complained. “Is it even light outside yet?”
 
“We can stay here,” he offered as he pulled her closer. “This is nice.”
 
She giggled as he rubbed his cheek against her shoulder. “You're not going to let me sleep, are you?”
 
“Sleep if you can,” he remarked, nipping at her shoulder through the thin t-shirt fabric. She shivered. He chuckled. “What's wrong, Nez? Don't feel like sleeping anymore?”
 
Nezumi rolled away from him, burying her face in the pillow and dumping Yukitora off her stomach. The kitten mewed plaintively but curled up beside Nezumi. Ryomaru tossed a leg over hers to pin her down and slowly rubbed her back. Nezumi broke into a chorus of fake snoring and hid her smile when he heaved a heavy sigh. “You're not cooperating, wench,” he complained.
 
“I can't hear you when I'm sleeping.”
 
“Feh!”
 
With a shriek, Nezumi tried to scoot away as Ryomaru grabbed her sides and commenced tickle torture. Trying to toss him off as she wiggled around, she gasped for breath between bouts of laughter. “Ryo . . . this . . . isn't . . . fair!”
 
“It's fair,” he argued. She bucked her hips again, and he abruptly rolled off her. “Okay, that's enough of that.”
 
Leaning on her elbows, Nezumi stared at Ryomaru. “What? Are you all right?”
 
“Never better,” he muttered tightly. “I'm starving.”
 
She frowned as he got up and strode out of the room. Something was bothering him, but what?
 
`That was really strange, wasn't it? What's gotten into him, anyway?'
 
She was wide awake. With a sigh, she stood up and stumbled out of Ryomaru's room to get dressed. She wasn't sure what time it was, but she figured it was around seven.
 
She discarded her t-shirt before reaching for a bra. A single tug on the bow was enough to dislodge the flannel sleeping pants, and she idly kicked them off while she adjusted her bra. Dragging on a sky blue tee shirt that was a little tighter than Nezumi liked, she made a face. A couple tugs did little to alleviate the snug fit, and she flopped back on her bed, jerking on the hem of the shirt and sticking her knees in it to stretch it out a little.
 
“Oi, Nez, I---damn.”
 
Squeaking out a shrill little cry as she jerked her legs free and hurriedly sat up, Nezumi tried not to blush as Ryomaru stumbled into the room and knelt beside the bed.
 
He opened and closed his mouth a few times, staring at Nezumi's legs with wide eyes. She winced and started to tuck them under when an odd thought crossed her mind and stuck. `He . . . he likes . . . my legs?'
 
“Kami,” he croaked, slowly lifting his gaze to meet hers. Eyes wide, expression almost worshipful, he stared at her. “Nezumi . . .”
 
It seemed like the most natural thing in the world, to reach for him. Wrapping her arms around his neck and leaning forward, touching her lips to his as he rose up on his knees, Nezumi let him pull her off the bed into his lap. His kiss was gentle, searching, a curious mix of hunger and tenderness. His strength enveloped her as she sighed.
 
Nibbling her lips as she tried to recapture the kiss, he held her steady as the nerves in her body exploded, one by one. Tendrils of heat coursed through her, siphoning her strength as the need to be lost in him took over. Her hand slipped down his shoulder, onto his chest. Massaging the smooth flesh under her fingertips, she couldn't help the soft whimper that escaped her as she tried to remember that she needed to breathe.
 
He was holding back; she could feel it. As if he was afraid that he would scare her away, his hesitation touched her and maddened her. She wanted more but wasn't sure how to tell him. Unable to fit together anything more than fleeting thoughts that didn't make sense, she pressed her body closer to his, and he groaned in answer. His thumb caressed her cheek as he tilted her head back, as he dropped his mouth to her neck.
 
The banked fire ignited, spread, the flames of deeper emotion raging hotter, brighter, more intense and more beautiful than the rising sun. He caught her hand, held it close, and she could feel his heartbeat as he kissed her once again.
 
The chime that rattled through the house cut through the haze surrounding Nezumi's mind. She heard the sound though it made no sense as she leaned her forehead against his shoulder. Ryomaru's breathing was ragged, harsh. When the chime sounded again, he growled then sighed. “I'll get rid of them,” he grumbled, kissing Nezumi's forehead before she slid off his lap onto the floor.
 
She watched him go, leaning against the bed for support. Her lips felt swollen, tender. Lifting her fingers to her lips, she smiled as a nice little shiver slipped down her spine.
 
`Today is going to be a really, really good day . . .'
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
Staring in absolute dismay at the array of magazines and brochures, Nezumi felt her mouth go dry. Hoping she didn't look nearly as horrified as she felt, she slowly shook her head as Kagome sat back with a happy sigh. “So what do you think, Deirdre?”
 
“I . . . uh . . . don't know what to say,” she muttered, wishing that Ryomaru hadn't gone outside with InuYasha.
 
“InuYasha and I had a small wedding,” Kagome remarked as she shuffled through a pile of brochures. “But Ryomaru should have a big wedding. He's the oldest, and there are a lot of people who might be offended if you don't invite them . . . I'd imagine your father probably has some people that will need to be invited, too?”
 
“I haven't asked him,” Nezumi said as she fought down a wave of panic. “This really isn't necessary . . . I'd hate to put you through so much trouble . . .”
 
“With you working, I'd imagine that it would be harder for you to plan this . . . I'd be glad to help you!”
 
“Mother, Nez doesn't want a big wedding,” Ryomaru commented as he blew inside with a blast of frigid air. “I don't, either.”
 
“Even if it isn't a big wedding, it should be traditional,” Kagome insisted.
 
“Let them get married the way they want,” InuYasha grumbled as he stomped inside.
 
“Of course,” Kagome agreed. “A small traditional wedding. I got it. What is your dress size, Deirdre?”
 
Nezumi shot Ryomaru a frantic look. Ryomaru winced. InuYasha rolled his eyes and snorted. “Come on, wench. Time to go.”
 
“But we need to talk about some other things!” Kagome complained as InuYasha grabbed her hands and dragged her to her feet.
 
“Let the pups plan their own wedding,” he argued. “At the rate you're going, they'll elope . . . and I can't say I blame `em.”
 
“InuYasha!”
 
Nezumi didn't let her breath out until InuYasha closed the door behind them. Shaking her head as she stared incredulously at the mountain of magazines and brochures, she shot Ryomaru another helpless look. “She's set on a traditional wedding, Ryo.”
 
Ryomaru sighed and rubbed his forehead. “Yeah, she is, but if you don't want that . . . we'll figure out something.”
 
“Do we have to get married?” she asked, only half-teasing.
 
A fleeting glimpse of a shadow flickered to life behind Ryomaru's gaze, and Nezumi stood up. “The old man said Kich told him that I'd called him to ask about marking. I guess Mother figured out that we were . . . closer. If you don't want to get married . . .” He shook his head. “I didn't know they were coming over. I'm sorry.”
 
Nezumi waved away his apology and piled the magazines into a neat stack that she hoped to never have to touch again. “Don't worry about it, Ryo. It's just . . . Can we deal with one thing at a time?”
 
He finally smiled and drew her into a hug. “I think that's a good plan,” he agreed. “And first things first: I want you to be marked.”
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
Kichiro glanced from Ryomaru to Nezumi and back again. Neither had spoken while he'd explained the process. It was hard to tell just what they were thinking. Nezumi looked pale and drawn. Kichiro figured it was from fear of the blood transfusion. Ryomaru was slowly pacing the floor, and it wasn't really surprising to see traces of guilt evident in his expression. As tough as Ryomaru acted, as hard as he liked to pretend to be, he'd always had a soft spot for Nezumi, and her fear would be enough to crack that exterior . . .
 
“I think it's possible to put you under anesthetic for the procedure,” Kichiro said. “You'll be on monitors, so there won't be any danger.”
 
“Okay,” Nezumi remarked, frowning as she stared at her hands. “How long does it take to recover from this?”
 
Kichiro shook his head. “The worst you may experience is bruising at the transfusion site . . . Speaking of . . . Ryo, do you know where Nezumi is supposed to be marked?”
 
He glanced at her and made a face, ears flattening for a moment before popping up again. “Yeah . . . her right shoulder.”
 
Nezumi looked surprise, and Kichiro narrowed his gaze at his baka brother. Apparently he hadn't bothered to tell Nezumi that he knew where her mark should be, and that figured. Ryomaru had a habit of not telling her things if he thought it would lead to her being upset or frightened. Kichiro supposed it was a noble thing for Ryomaru to have done. Still it would have been easier if Nezumi had known this, too.
 
“The shoulder might be sore,” Kichiro allowed. “Other than that, I don't foresee any other problems. It's pretty much standard practice now. The real trick is in starting the influx of blood before any blood vessels collapse.”
 
That earned him a glower from Ryomaru as Nezumi's already pale face took on a sickened, chalky color.
 
“Maybe you should talk to Sierra. She went through this procedure when she and Toga were mated. She could probably explain things to you in less frightening terms,” Kichiro hurried to add since Ryomaru looked like he might try sharpening his claws on him at any given moment.
 
Nezumi seemed to perk up at the idea of talking to someone else, and she nodded. “All right,” she agreed, casting Ryomaru an uncertain look. That was all it took to send Ryomaru stalking away for the telephone.
 
Kichiro sighed. “Sorry, Nez . . . I didn't think about how that sounded.”
 
Nezumi nodded and let out a deep breath. “It's all right, Kich. I just . . . it sounds a little scary, and after your parents' visit today . . . It's all gotten really, really . . . weird.”
 
Kichiro made a face. “Mother and the old man came over? I can guess how that went. When I told her that Ryo had called to ask about marking, I think her mind skipped over it to the wedding . . . assuming there'll be one?”
 
Nezumi sat back with a sigh, dragging Yukitora onto her lap. “It's not marrying him that bothers me,” she admitted in a low tone. “She is set on having this fancy wedding, though, and I . . . I'd end up flat on my ass or worse. It's a really bad idea.”
 
“Okay, Sierra's on her way but she's bringing that baka she mated, too. Apparently Toga thinks she'll go into early labor if he so much as lets her out of his sight,” Ryomaru remarked with a pronounced snort as he flopped onto the sofa beside Nezumi.
 
Yukitora hopped up onto Ryomaru's shoulder and curled up in a ball, partially hidden in the strands of Ryomaru's hair. Moments later she erupted in a smooth purr, and Kichiro rolled his eyes.
 
“So are you two going to start a family, too?” Kichiro asked, mostly to distract Nezumi, who was staring at her hands with a thoughtful frown.
 
“A . . . huh?” Ryomaru sputtered, rounding on his twin with an incredulous expression. Nezumi glanced up but didn't appear to have heard the commentary.
 
“A family. Pups. Lots and lots of them. Mother would welcome that . . . she might give up the idea of a big wedding if you bribe her with babies instead.”
 
“Babies?” Nezumi choked. “Babies?
 
“Yes, babies,” Kichiro remarked dryly, “as in, tiny people---the ones that cry, and you feed them or change them and they sleep till they cry again.”
 
“There will be no babies,” Ryomaru grumbled, cheeks reddening as he quickly shook his head. “At least, none till Nez wants `em, and not to bribe Mother, damn it.”
 
“Can we not talk about babies?” Nezumi rasped out, cheeks as red as Ryomaru's.
 
“All right, all right,” Kichiro relented, hiding his amusement. At least he had managed to get her mind off the impending marking. He intercepted Ryomaru's glower. Though his brother was obviously still irritated in the way Kichiro had gone about it, he did nod his thanks for the much-needed distraction.
 
Kichiro grinned in silent response then sighed as his cell phone rang. It was his secretary. “Look, I have to take this call, but let me know when you want to do this, okay? It's a good idea to have it done . . . just to get it out of the way . . .”
 
His meaning wasn't lost on Ryomaru. “I know.”
 
Kichiro didn't say more. The renegade youkai hadn't been heard from, but neither had the youkai hunters who had been sent out, in the first place. There was a strange unease in the air, and if Kichiro felt it, he knew Ryomaru did, too.
 
Heading for the foyer to take the phone call, Kichiro glanced back in time to see Ryomaru lean in to say something to Nezumi that he couldn't catch. Nezumi smiled, cheeks pinking, and she quickly kissed Ryomaru's cheek.
 
`Better than you deserve, baka,' Kichiro thought with a smile of his own. `Who'd have thought it?'
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~ *~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
kamackie21 ------ Firetrixs ------ yasha 101 ------ notzathros ------- inuyashasluverforever ------ thefaeryofpurejoy ------ kurisu no ryuujin ------ OROsan0677 ------ leyley ------ Suze ------ Terrasina Dragonwagon ------ trinigirl524 ------ phantomflame ------ Zirra Nova ------ Wlfhund ------ Kitkat99 ------ rage2velvet ------ cj flutterbye ------ Green Arrow ------ Darksquire ------ DarklessVasion ------ TheGreatMinionRalph (No, you can read Purity 4 without worry for spoilers thus far!) ------ Bandit the Army Brat ------ CJ Finnegan ------ Jason C ------ Akihana ------ Ultima X (I removed the arts because I got slammed despite the person knowing that I only JUST started digital art … I get way more than enough crap for the fictions. I don't feel like dealing with crap over art, too.) ------ Rawben ------ nerwenfaelvirin ------ Shiga
==========
FFneteave
Flames101 ------ Little Baldwin ------ BakaBokken ------ Drake Clawfang ------ Ryguy5387 ------ Anna Sakurai (Nezumi has always had black hair. Sierra is strawberry blonde) ------ kestral-tudorica ------ kogaswolfgrl ------ Tiger Timberwolf ------ InuyashasChic612 ------ SilverStarWing ------ Toya's Gurl ------ SkaQueen ------ Dogiegurl26 ------ ILOVEINUS589 ------ breezy99 ------ zorioko ------ agent-doo ------ Fishbowl ------ Shilyn ------ Fairia13 ------ Nerwen Faelvirin
==========
Final Thought fromRyomaru:
Between markings and weddings
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Forever): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~