InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 6: Shameless ❯ Centrifugal Force ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 4~~
~Centrifugal Force~
 
 
Gavin stood back with a scowl on his face as he waited impatiently for his cell phone to ring. The latest email from Mickey B. had alluded to the idea that he knew that Jillian was in Cancun and was threatening to follow her there. As it was, Gavin was worried that even the security surrounding the undisclosed location of the shoot would be compromised, and it grated on his nerves that he really had no idea just who this Mickey B. was. He hated having to wait while Bas ran the guy's IP address through the system. As much as Gavin wanted to do something to help, he had to admit that Bas, with his position as one of the heads of the Youkai Special Crimes Unit, ultimately would have a much simpler time obtaining information.
 
Jillian didn't know a thing. Pasting on a sultry expression as she rolled onto her belly and peered up at the camera lens, she was completely unaware of the worry that wrapped his stomach in tight knots. The waiting was killing him, though, and that was worse than anything . . .
 
Smothering a low growl as Jay-Jay carefully powdered the cleft between Jillian's breasts, Gavin told himself for the millionth time that it was their jobs; that there wasn't anything personal in what they were doing.
 
It didn't help much.
 
It had completely appalled him, the way they'd treated Jillian during the diamond bikini shoot. Unable to sit during breaks because of the risk that something would happen to the bikini, Jillian hadn't complained at all. He'd sensed it though, hadn't he? Her discomfort at being made to stand all day long while everyone else took breaks when necessary was something that she tried to hide, to no avail. Gavin could sense it. He could see the weariness in her gaze that she tried to cover with a bright smile while the crew relaxed in the folding chairs that had been set up near the caterer's tent. In the end, Gavin had scooped Jillian up, letting her rest against him since they wouldn't let her sit in a real chair. The security team hired by the jeweler was a little too thorough, even following Jillian into the bathroom to make sure she didn't try to steal the bikini. When Gavin had figured out what they were doing, he'd gone along, too, pinning the four security guards with the fiercest glower he could muster as he planted himself between Jillian and the guards, standing immobile with his arms crossed over his chest and a foreboding scowl on his features so that he could block the girl from their view as she took care of her needs. It was on the tip of his tongue to tell them all to go to hell. Jillian, however, acted as though the entire affair were no big deal. That was the only thing that had kept him calm . . .
 
`At least she's back to normal swimwear today,' he decided. With the current troubles fresh in his mind, he wasn't so sure he'd be able to be very patient with anyone, especially overzealous security guards who seemed to have forgotten that the girl wearing the bikini was still a person.
 
His cell phone rang, and Gavin hurriedly answered it. “Hello?” he growled, careful to keep his voice down since Hans was already irritated with him because he dared to protect Jillian the day before.
 
“Gavin, where's Jilli?”
 
Scowling at the unorthodox way Bas Zelig had greeted him, he glanced at the girl in question. “She's right here . . . almost done for the day, or so they said.”
 
“I mean, she's can't hear you, can she?”
 
“Nope. Why?”
 
Bas sighed. “There's been another email. Dad thinks . . . well, he'll call you later, I'm sure, but he wants you to think about taking Jillian somewhere to hide her.”
 
Gavin shook his head. “Hide her? Why?”
 
“There're more pictures,” Bas said. “Pictures of you and Jillian having dinner at some restaurant in Cancun.”
 
What?
 
“Dad's going to talk to Jilli's manager; see if he can't get him to cut the shoot short. Don't tell anyone about your plans. Just get out of Cancun as fast as you can. Ordinarily, Dad would have you bring her straight back here, but with the security around the mansion compromised, that's not really a good idea, either. As it is, Dad's on his way to take Mom to the airport.”
 
“The airport?”
 
Bas let out a deep breath. “Aunt Nezumi miscarried, so Mom wanted to go there. Anyway, Dad's staying here, but he figured it would be safer for Mom to be in Japan until we can get more information on this guy.”
 
“God, I'm sorry . . .”
 
“Yeah, we all are. In any case, Dad's afraid to send Jilli anywhere with any of us. This guy knows who her family is, and if he followed her to Cancun, he'd follow her to Japan, too. She's probably safest with you, at the moment. That way the bastard might not realize that we're trying to find him.”
 
“I see.”
 
“Do you have somewhere you can take her?”
 
Raking his hands through his hair, Gavin tried to come up with a solution. “I don't—I—” Cutting himself off abruptly, a sudden thought solidified in his mind. “Yeah,” he said slowly, “there is a place . . .”
 
“Okay . . . good . . . Dad'll call you when he's back from seeing Mom off. Just don't let Jillian know, okay? Don't let her worry.”
 
“Understood,” he agreed, biting back the impatience that Bas would even suggest that Gavin would do anything of the sort. Snapping the cell phone closed, he tightened his jaw stubbornly. Protecting Jillian had become second nature over the years. He certainly knew better than to tell the girl anything that would make her worry. Letting out a deep breath, Gavin tried to calm his temper. Bas wasn't trying to offend him, he knew. He was simply reminding Gavin; that was all.
 
`He's followed her to Cancun . . .'
 
“Penny for your thoughts, Gavvie,” Jillian said as she sauntered toward him.
 
“Not even worth a penny,” he quipped.
 
“Sure they are,” she argued. “You looked like you were a million miles away.”
 
“What do you want for lunch?” he asked, deliberately mentioning the one thing that would be sure to distract the water-youkai.
 
“Hmm,” she mused, mulling the question over in her mind. “Another cheeseburger would be nice,” she said slowly. “Who were you on the phone with?”
 
Gavin grimaced. “Your brother,” he answered truthfully. He could tell her part of it, he supposed, even if he couldn't really tell her everything. Besides, she'd be more upset if he didn't tell her and she found out that he'd known. “Your aunt miscarried.”
 
Jillian's pale blue eyes rounded in alarm. “Aunt Nezumi? But how?”
 
“I don't know. Bas didn't say. He just said that your father was taking your mom to the airport so that she could fly back to Tokyo.”
 
“Poor Nezumi,” Jillian said, her eyes filling with tears. “The baby . . .”
 
Gavin grimaced, hating the smell of her upset. “Don't cry, Jilli. If you do, that damned Justin will probably throw a conniption fit.”
 
She waved a hand but sniffled, blinking back the tears with commendable effort. “Mama's going to be with her?”
 
Gavin nodded, pulling Jillian into a comforting hug. “Yes.”
 
“Then that's okay,” she decided, heaving a tremulous sigh.
 
Gavin sighed, too.
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Jillian got into the rented white Mercury Leviene and slumped back against the high headrest. It had been a long day. To her surprise, Hans had come to her trailer a few minutes after calling it a night. He'd looked distressed, but he said that something important had come up and that the remaining three days of the shoot were being cancelled. It was fine with her, though. She was looking forward to going home.
 
Starting up the engine, Gavin spared a moment to cast her a worried glance. “You all right?” he asked quietly.
 
“Fine,” she told him, savoring the feeling of doing absolutely nothing for another moment before digging into her bag for her cell phone. “Why don't we get out of here? We could be back in the city by midnight—if we can get a plane at this hour.”
 
He smiled wanly and slowly shook his head. “We could,” he agreed. “You look tired, though.”
 
“I can sleep on the plane,” she said. “Besides, I want to get home . . . Daddy said that Belle was all upset when she called to tell Mama about Aunt Nezumi.”
 
“That makes sense,” he mused. “I'll call the airport while you're showering. How's that?”
 
She nodded, opening her phone and dialing her father's number. “Daddy?” she said when he answered on the third ring.
 
“Hi, Jilli. Is everything all right?”
 
She frowned at the weariness in her father's soft tone. “Of course it is,” she assured him. “Did you get Mama off to the airport?”
 
“I did,” he agreed. “She should be in Tokyo by morning.”
 
Jillian clucked her tongue, hating the complete feeling of helplessness that she couldn't do something more for her aunt. “They don't know why Nezumi miscarried?”
 
Cain sighed. “Not really.”
 
“Well, my shoot got cut short, so I'll be home soon . . . maybe I should go to Japan, too . . .”
 
“I don't think you should do that. Let your mother help them out. The last thing they need is everyone descending on them. Give them some time, okay?”
 
Jillian snorted in obvious disagreement, but she heaved an acquiescent sigh. “Okay,” she allowed. “Do you think flowers would be too much?”
 
She could hear the smile in Cain's voice when he replied. “I think flowers would be a great idea.”
 
“I'll send them as soon as we get back to the hotel,” she decided.
 
“You do that . . . Gavin's there, right?”
 
Jillian nodded. “Of course he is!”
 
“Why don't you let me talk to him for a minute?”
 
She wrinkled her nose. “You're not going to threaten him, are you, Daddy?”
 
“Would I do something like that?”
 
“Hmph,” she grunted, catching the phone between her shoulder and ear as she turned in her seat to stick the earpiece in her companion's ear. “Daddy wants to talk to you,” she informed him, lowering the phone and plugging in the cord.
 
“Yes, sir?” Gavin answered without taking his eyes off the road. Buzzing along the country road, he listened to whatever Cain had to say.
 
Jillian rubbed the back of her neck, closing her eyes.
 
“I think so,” Gavin said. Jillian spared him a glance. Something in his tone . . .
 
Turning her attention out the window, she gasped as a coyote ran out in the road in front of them. “Gavin!” she hollered, bracing her feet against the floor. He hit the brakes hard—she heard him stomp down on the pedal once—twice—before the car responded, and Jillian pitched forward only to be jerked back by the seat belt as the car screeched to a stop. The coyote ran across the road, pausing on the other side to stare at the car. “You all right, Jilli?” he asked.
 
“Fine,” she replied, giving him a bright, if not somewhat shaky, smile.
 
He nodded, looking around carefully before taking his foot off the brake pedal. “Wha . . .? No . . . a coyote ran out in front of us . . . no, she's fine.”
 
Stifling a yawn with the back of her hand, Jillian settled against the seat and closed her eyes as her heart slowly returned to a normal cadence. It would take at least thirty minutes to reach the hotel in Cancun. She might as well catch a little nap . . .
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
`Damn it . . .'
 
Gritting his teeth as the rental car screeched to an abrupt halt on the stretch of road below the high cliff, he hunkered down a little lower. Overshadowed by sharp crags that rose around him, he was fairly certain he was safe from view, even if the occupants of the vehicle chanced to look up.
 
He'd hoped he could get the nastiness of his task out of the way quickly enough. It didn't look like it was going to be as simple as he had thought.
 
`If he hadn't showed up, it'd have been a cake walk,' he fumed. `Damn city boy . . . I fucking hate dogs . . .'
 
Narrowing his eyes as the car inched forward, slowly picking up speed as it moved on, he pushed himself to his feet and sprinted over the rocky ridge. He had a few more days to get it done. He'd figured it'd be easier to get to Jillian Zelig out here in the middle of nowhere. She could be gone longer before she was missed. In the city, it was too easy to lose track of his prey. In the city where the smells and sounds were easily masked, it would be harder to close in on her, let alone to find her where there would be no witnesses . . .
 
There were just too damn many people around the little princess, weren't there? A brother—a rock star, for the love of God . . . another brother who was destined to become the next tai-youkai . . . and her father, damn him, was the worst of them all. Entirely too much power resided in that one family—not simply the Zelig, himself, but his wife's family back in the Old Country. It was a dangerous venture, at best, but the payoff would be worth the risk . . .
 
“Smile pretty for now, Jillian Zelig . . .” he mumbled as he ran. “Soon enough, you and your secrets will be mine . . .”
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Gavin rubbed his face tiredly, dropping his cell phone onto the coffee table and plopping down on the sofa. Everything was set up; he just had to convince Jillian that he was telling the truth. Trouble was, he'd never been able to lie to her. She'd see right through it, wouldn't she? Of course she would. `Who am I trying to fool?'
 
`Come on, Gavin . . . you know how important this is. Don't let her down . . .'
 
He nodded. `Don't let her down. Right . . .'
 
Bas was right. Gavin had seen the snapshots from the restaurant they'd been to last night. Because of that, Cain had told Gavin to take Jillian and get out of Cancun but not to bring her home. Luckily for him, Jillian had fallen asleep in the car, and he'd been able to tell Cain that she'd be safest at his ranch in Montana. As far as he knew, the stalker didn't know anything about the ranch, and if he found out about it, all of Gavin's hired hands were youkai and had worked the place for years. She'd be safe enough there, he didn't doubt. Cain had ultimately agreed.
 
Since the mansion in Maine had been targeted, Cain hadn't wanted Jillian to go back there, either. The idea of sending her to Japan had been discussed but was discarded at length, too. Neither Cain nor Gavin wanted to apprize Jillian of the situation, and neither thought it wise to tell Gin, either; at least, not yet. No, better to have her go on an impromptu `vacation' with Gavin than to let her run all over Tokyo, especially when Mickey B. knew that she had relation in the old country.
 
Now if he could just convince Jillian of his sincerity, he'd be one step ahead of the game.
 
He'd just gotten off the phone with the ranch's foreman, Hank Preston—a bobcat-youkai whose father used to work the ranch for Gavin's grandfather years ago. Hank was a couple years older than Gavin, and the two had grown up together. A simple man who loved the ranch almost as much as Gavin did, Hank said he'd explain the situation to the other men. The cover story was that Gavin had to go to Montana to take care of some things that had suddenly cropped up. Jillian had been bugging him for years to take her there. He smiled wanly. She had a way of getting exactly what she wanted, didn't she?
 
`That's because you're a big ol' sucker,' his youkai voice pointed out in a rather gleeful tone.
 
`Who asked you?' he shot back.
 
“Gavvie?”
 
Snapping out of his reverie, he dropped his hands from his face and glanced at Jillian. Clad in a short sleeved white sweater that bulged sharply at odd angles, and a pair of faded blue jeans, she also wore a coquettish expression that worried him. “Why do you look like the cat that ate the canary?” he asked dubiously.
 
“Do I?” she countered, her clear gaze brightening in the warm light of the living room.
 
“Yes, you do,” he answered. “What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?”
 
“You think I'm pretty?” she teased.
 
Gavin rolled his eyes. “You know I do, Jilli.”
 
She giggled. “Want your birthday present, Gavvie?”
 
He blinked in surprise. In the chaos and concern over Jillian's well being, he'd forgotten his own birthday . . . “Sure.”
 
“I have to tell you, it was nearly impossible to find,” she said with a shake of her head. “But I think you'll like it . . . I hope you'll like it . . . If you don't like it, you can pretend to so that I don't feel bad, okay?”
 
Gavin chuckled despite his grim thoughts. It was impossible not to laugh around her, wasn't it? “Okay, I swear I'll like it,” he replied.
 
“Come and get it, Gavvie,” she said, holding her arms out to her sides and gesturing at the misshapen sweater.
 
“Jilli,” he began in a warning tone, unable to staunch the flow of blood that heated his cheeks.
 
“Don't you want it?”
 
He snorted.
 
“But I bought it for you . . .”
 
Staring at her for a long moment, he slowly strode over to her. Pinching the fabric of the sweater, he tugged on it until the festively wrapped package fell onto the floor. Letting go of the sweater, he bent over to retrieve the gift, turning it over in his hands as he scowled at it. She'd decorated the paper, herself. It was a tradition in the Zelig family. That she'd put that much effort into his birthday made him smile. She was thoughtful like that . . . “What is this?” he asked.
 
She giggled, clapping her hands before grabbing his arm and squeezing. “Open it!”
 
He shot her a quick look but did as she commanded, slipping his claw under the edge of the paper and carefully slitting it open. “Oh, wow,” he breathed as he pulled the paper away. “Wow . . .”
 
“You like it?” she asked breathlessly. “He's the one, right? The one you needed to complete your collection?”
 
Gavin nodded absently, staring at the first edition Luke Skywalker mint in package action figure. He'd been looking for the figure for years and hadn't found anyone willing to sell. Star Wars action figures were hard to come by these days, and the farm boy Luke Skywalker one . . . well, it was damn near impossible to get. “This had to have cost you a small fortune,” he mumbled, unable to take his eyes off the collectible. “Jilli . . .”
 
“He is the one you needed, right?” she asked again. “First edition . . . released in 1978 as part of the early bird package along with Chewbacca, Princess Leia, and Artoo-Detoo . . .? The brownish-haired one—you already have the yellow haired one . . .”
 
He shook his head. Sure, he'd commented a few times that he needed one figure to complete his collection, but he'd never told Jillian which figure, exactly . . . How had she known? “Jilli . . . how did you know . . .?”
 
She smiled. “Evan helped me, you see. He knew which doll you needed.”
 
“I can't believe you—they're not dolls!
 
“Sure, they're dolls . . .”
 
Gavin wasn't impressed, and he quickly shook his head as he tried to disabuse her of that particular notion. “They're action figures.”
 
“Yes,” she agreed happily. “Action figures . . . dolls . . . same thing.”
 
He snorted.
 
“Anyway, you like it, right?”
 
“I love it . . . even though it's not a doll.”
 
“Good! I'll get a cake for you as soon as we get back to the city,” she promised. “Did you call the airport?”
 
The abrupt change in topic was like a dousing of cold water, snapping him out of his bemusement in a harsh sort of way. Clearing his throat as he carefully set the action figure on the coffee table, he stuffed his hands into his pockets and sighed. “About that,” he began, carefully choosing his words in hopes that she wouldn't see straight through the lie he was about to tell her. “How'd you like to go on a vacation of sorts?”
 
“A vacation?” she echoed, gathering her things and pausing long enough to glance at him before resuming her task. “You never go on vacations,” she reminded him.
 
He nodded. “That's true . . . it's not really a vacation for me, though. Some stuff's come up at the ranch, and I need to go up there for awhile.”
 
She arched her eyebrows and shook her head as she stopped long enough to peer at him. “So I'd be on vacation, and you'd be working the entire time?” she asked lightly.
 
“Not all the time,” he grumbled, scratching the back of his neck in a decidedly nervous fashion. “Thought you said before you wanted to go up there sometime.”
 
“I did,” she allowed, “but I can't just run off . . . I have bookings and stuff . . .”
 
“So call Tate and tell him that you need a break. Not like you need the money,” he reminded her with a marked lifting of one eyebrow.
 
Jillian considered that for a moment then made a face. “He'll be awfully angry,” she predicted.
 
Gavin scowled, trying to decide exactly what tactic would work better to convince her to accompany him to Montana without having to admit the truth of it. “It'd be good for you, Jilli. When's the last time you had a vacation—a real vacation?”
 
Jillian considered that for a moment. “He'll be awfully angry,” she predicted.
 
“It'd be good for you, Jilli. When's the last time you had a vacation—a real vacation?”
 
She sighed. True enough, she didn't take vacations. Of course, her job wasn't quite as stressful as his, and she certainly had free time to spare. Still, he could see that she was seriously considering his words, and that bolstered his courage. “Come on, Jilli . . . keep me company?” he prodded.
 
“It has been awhile, hasn't it?” she murmured. Her tone wasn't completely convinced, but she sounded rather hopeful.
 
“Fresh air . . . beautiful scenery . . . you could get some really great pictures up there . . . though you might get a little bored.”
 
“Why's that?”
 
He shrugged, sensing that the battle was over—and that she didn't doubt his story in the least. “Well . . . there're no red carpets in Montana . . . at least, not the kind you're used to.”
 
She narrowed her eyes at him for that and wrinkled her nose. “You make me sound like a snob, Gavin Ryan Jamison,” she pointed out, “and I'm not.”
 
`Watch it, Gavvie . . . she just used your full name . . . that can't be good . . .'
 
“You're not a snob,” he placated. “I've never thought you were.”
 
“Anyway, I think your ranch sounds wonderful,” she went on airily. “Oh, I'll have to get some cowgirl clothes, huh?”
 
He rolled his eyes but grinned. “If you think so, Jilli,” he agreed.
 
“I didn't bring my camera, though. Do we have time to go back to New York? I should talk to Tate, too, don't you think?”
 
“It's pretty urgent,” Gavin remarked. “I really need to get to the ranch.”
 
“You could go, and I'll fly in after I talk to Tate and pack.”
 
“That's okay. I'll buy you whatever you need once we get there. That'd be okay, right?”
 
“I have my own money,” she pointed out. “You said so.”
 
He chuckled. He handled her finances, too, since Jillian and bookkeeping just didn't mix. He'd encouraged her to buy a few homes since real estate was always a worthwhile investment, and he was constantly monitoring her stocks to make sure that she was financially sound. “Come on,” he cajoled again.
 
She sighed then giggled, dropping the things in her arms on the sofa and hurrying over to hug him. “All right, Gavvie . . . I can't wait!”
 
Breathing an inward sigh of relief, Gavin returned her hug. Whether he'd really acted that well or because she desperately wanted to go on a prolonged trip with him, he couldn't say, but considering he'd gained her acquiescence easily enough, he supposed he couldn't complain, either. “Neither can I,” he said softly, quietly, closing his eyes as the welcoming scent of her hair enveloped his senses. “Neither can I . . .”
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~ =~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
I've posted anewone-shot entitled Purity: Revolution. Feel free to check it out. Rather long, but it tells a lot of story that has been bugging me for quite awhile.http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/121391 /
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
Katgirlofthenight ------ RisikaFox ------ Usagiseren05 ------ kamackie21 ------ BladesoftheValkyrie (yep… gotta love those right spelling/wrong word type things… I can spot them in other people's stuff at 100 yards but never see them in my own :sigh: ) ------ sweetsauve ------ Deceptress ------ OROsan0677 ------ Rawben ------ angelfire777 ------ artemiswaterdragon ------ futekioosha ------ Inu_sesshomaru_luver ------ Child Of The Millennium ------ Simonkal of Inuy ------ NekoKamiFL ------ JasonC ------ Southgirl4life ------ oblivion-bringr (try holding down CTRL and hit “Refresh” on the review page after you've logged in. This should reload the page and show that you're logged in) ------ Kurisu no Ryuujin
==========
Forum Reviews
RogueDestiny ------ kamackie ------ My Own Self ------ ErinBerin ------ TenshiKaika ------ psyco_chick32 ------ cutechick18 ------ Shadow_Within ------ OROsan0677
==========
Final Thought fromJillian:
I've always wanted to go to the ranch!
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Shameless): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~