InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reincarnation Isn't Always a Good Thing! ❯ 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Back with the original group........
(Last time: "What if......?" Koga said quietly, so quietly no one heard him. "What if this time, this time they fail us? What if, this time, we're wrong? We're risking our children because I did what I thought was right?')
Koga paced in his room. It had been days since that last conversation, and his words still haunted him.
'I'm too edgy.' he thought, still pacing. He sighed and stopped his movements.
'I have to do something.....' he thought, sitting down. He closed his eyes trying to meditate so he could see into the near future- what could it hold for them? He sat perfectly still, slowing his breathing down to that of a sleeping person. He sensed the others in the house by their aura imprints, noting where each was. Miroku and Sango- library. Kohaku was in the kitchen, Nari on her way towards him. Inuyasha and Kagome were in their room, talking. Kagura was in the bathroom, doing her hair. Shippo was missing, but Koga already knew where he was- a few hundred years in the past, impersonating a centipede woman. Koga blocked the movements out of his mind, concentrating only on one thing- Time's weave.
A light shone in his eyes, and then he 'saw' it. It was a beautiful tapestry, but large enough to span the world five times over. Billions uopn billions of threads made up the weave, some much shorter then others. And each tiny thread on the large weaving represented another, smaller weaving- a human, hanyou, or youkai. Koga concentrated further, picking out the lives of his child, and the others with her.
Good, no immediant danger. But who was that with them? He searched, and finally found the weaving belonging to her life. He had to stop and stare for a moment. The weaving was beautiful, but only in a way a wounded dove is. Sad, but with an awesome beauty that couldn't be denied. He quickly decided that she wasn't dangerous to the children, nor they to her. He also sensed a power- a force- living in her, but he couldn't figure out what it was. It was comforting, but also disturbing.
'Another problem for another time.' Now he searched for the future of those in the building with him.
Odd. A great change was going to come over everyone, but he would be the second-most affected. He throughly searched the lives of those with him. Nothing with Shippo, though he'd be affected. Same with Sango, Kagome, and Nari. Kohaku, Miroku, and Inuyasha were clean too.
But Kagura.......
Koga's eyes snapped open in his real body. He sprang to his feet and raced out the bedroom door with a speed that put all his old ones to shame.
Too late. The warning had come just a minute too late. A bloodcurdling scream echoed from the other end of the house- the bathroom area. Where Kagura was.
"Kagura!" he bellowed, running past people as though they didn't exist. Why hadn't he seen this before?!
He kicked open the bathroom door just in time to seen something he had hoped never to see again.
The mark of the spider.
*Kagura, a few minutes earlier*
'I hope Kotan's okay.' Kagura thought, for the hundreth time that day. She put her brush down. It had been about a week and a half since they were kidnapped.
"Kotan...." she said put loud, grabbing a hair tie so that it wouldn't get in her face. She glanced at the mirror.......
....and froze.
"No." she whispered. The man behind her laughed, raising his right hand.
It was glowing slightly. Odd.
"Remember me?" He laughed as he shoved a hand through her ribcage- his right hand. He grabbed her heart, not caring or not noticing that blood splattered all over his white fur. His black hair shone in teh dim light as Kagura choked. With a mighty wrench, Naraku at last held her heart in his hands again. It bubbled and melted into his flesh, the wound in Kagura's chest healing. She kneeled in front of him on the floor, clutching at where her heart had benn.
"AHHHHHHH!!!!!" She was screaming. When had she started screaming? Her back was burning. She doubled over, breathing hard, feeling Naraku's eyes look at her with contempt, eyes and mouth sneering.
"Wha.... what....?" she asked, her voice a gasp. The pain subsided, and she managed to kneel with her back straight. "What have you done?!"
"Is that anyway to speak to me? I will not tolerate this from you again, Kagura....." with a laugh and two quick movements of his tentecles, he slashed open the back of her kimono.
There, large as life, was a burn mark, in the shape of a spider.
"No." Kagura whispered, tears coming to her eyes. "No........ this isn't happeneing.. I.. I'm dreaming..." She looked at Naraku, who merely smirked.
"NOOOOOOO!!!!!" she wailed, her voice more high pitched then any banshee's. Suddenly, there was the sound of wood breaking, and a frantic Koga ran in.
"Koga.... LOOK OUT!" she screamed as Naraku moved.......
......towards her. He was picking her up, taking her away....
"KOGA!" she screamed, making eye contact with him. She reached out for him, the other hand reaching for her sword. He barely caught her hand, and time seemed to move slower. Kagura could- later- vaguely recall her handing her sword to him as Naraku pulled her farther away. Koga stared at her, taking the sword, tears in his eyes, but he was nodding. He understood. He grabbed her sword and tried to get her...... to pull her back... but she was gone, only her katana was left. He fell to his knees as the others raced in, drawn by the shouting and the smell. He was crying, he didn't care who saw. He clutched her katana, her last words echoing in his mind.
'"Take this...... please.. remember me... I need you to take this. Hold it for me. Take this so that I don't...."' Koga shut his eyes tightly at the memory of the end of that senetence, but those words echoed louder then the others.
'"Take this so that I don't use it."' He stood up in a daze and ran past the group, running down the stairs, out the door...... anywhere but that room. He ran until his lungs burned, finally collapsing near a mountain lake, complete with a waterfall. It made him feel almost at home. He staggared over to the water, loving the way the wind carressed his hair, but, at teh same time, hating it. It reminded him of Kagura.
It had been his fault.
Not Naraku's. Not Kagura's.
His.
He hadn't seen the danger in time, and now Naraku had a powerful bargaining chip. Hells, Naraku had Kagura's life in the palm of his hand! Naraku knew that the most precious things to him were his wife and his daughter. He had been brough to his knees by the reincarnation of a human turned half-breed!
All because of one woman. His world. Since he had met her, his world had revolved around her- first finding her to kill her, then he had loved her.
His fist pounded teh soil as he stewed in his own self-loathing. Finally, as night fell, he ran back home, fists bloody and heart sore, but he was alive and well.
Unfortunately, had he been paying more attention, he may have noticed that one other person had returned to the castle under the cover of night. One who had fled seconds before Koga had, but carrying so much more.
Behind his pelt, Naraku smiled.
"This will be interesting." he said to himself, keeping all eyes on the castle. The spell he was about to weave was small, but awesome in its ability to read the hearts and minds of those within an area, and to make whatever was in those hearts and minds public.
It would take energy, but it would be worth it to hear that the Gods had disbanded after years of peaceful rule. Fighting between the elements would wreck havoc upon those in the world, leaving the seat for awesome power open. While Fire and Wind, Earth and Water, Water and Air, and Air and Metal, warred, he would take that power for himself.
"What would happen if the Gods suddenly said every little doubt they ever had about their relationships out loud?" Naraku smirked as he felt the power rising.
'Let's find out.' He thought, and released his sleep, letting it wash over each of the Gods, soaking into their skin. They glowed in the dark for a few moments, but remained asleep. The spell was complete.
'Sleep well, Gods.' he thought scathingly. With the twinkling of an eye, Naraku disappeared.