InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reunion ❯ Chapter Twenty-two: Reunion Realized ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-two

A/N: Greetings, true believers! I think that people are getting fed up with me for taking so long getting to the face to face. Well, the wait is over! Now, the real fun begins! This chapter is delicate, so it has taken a while to develope. I have known some of the elements and how I want to use them, getting them down correctly is another story! Let me know what you think and if it is what you anticipated. Heads up to PJ, thanks for the kind reviews, my avid Kagome fan! Anyway, it is time to begin this chapter, so, I don't own Inuyasha or any of his pals.

Inuyasha was nervous. With every step that brought him closer to the audience hall, he could feel the knot in his stomach getting tighter. Thoughts kept running through his mind. 'What if she doesn't like me? What if I'm not what she expects? What if she is disappointed in who I am and what I have done? What if ...' His thoughts were interrupted by a hand on his arm. He looked down in surprise and found out that it was Kagome.

She smiled at him. "It will be alright. She will love you as you are."

"How?"

"Did I know what you were thinking? It was easy." Kagome stretched up and kissed him on the cheek. "Don't worry, Inuyasha. She will love you, as much as I do."

Inuyasha took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Thanks, Kagome. I hope you're right."

"I know I am."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'What if he doesn't like me?' the Lady Mariko thought.

"Mother, stop it."

Lady Mariko looked at her son in surprise. "How?"

"Did I know what you were thinking?" Genki smiled at his mother. "Occupational hazard of being your son. I know you too well. Don't worry, mother. He will love you, if he has any sense at all."

A servant came to the door. "My lord, they come." He left the chamber.

"Finally, Mother. We get to see him again." He paused for a moment. He laughed slightly, "I wonder what he looks like now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daremo halted before the doors of the audience chamber. "My lord Inuyasha? Would you step here to the front? They will want to see you first."

Inuyasha stepped up to the front of the group. When he was in position, Kagome stepped up to his left side and placed a hand on his arm. When he looked at her in question, she just smiled and said, "I'll be right here." He nodded his thanks.

Daremo placed his hand on the door. "Ready, my lord?"

"Wait!" said Inuyasha. His friends looked at him in surprise. He turned to look at them. "Look, I'm no good with words. I just want you to know that I'm glad you came with me." Inuyasha looked directly at Sesshomaru. "You too, brother."

Sesshomaru said nothing in return. But he did incline his head in acknowledgement of what Inuyasha had said. He then stepped forward to be on his brother's right.

Jaken's mouth dropped open. "My lord!" he began, indignantly.

"Silence, Jaken." Sesshomaru said evenly. "I have stated that I would suspend protocol, in this instance. That is my decision to make and none of your affair."

"But, but..." Jaken took a deep breath and sighed. "Yes, my lord." He then took his customary place behind his master.

Inuyasha looked at Sesshomaru in surprise. He had thought that his brother would have stayed at the door to be announced later instead of standing with him. And in a subordinate position, no less! He nodded his head in thanks to his brother. Sesshomaru kept his face impassive but returned the nod. Kagome beamed at the brothers. Maybe they hadn't reconciled, yet, but it was a start!

Rin stepped up next to her lord and took his hand. He looked down at her. His features softened, slightly, and he squeezed her hand, softly. She looked up at him and smiled. "My lord?" she asked. "Who are we waiting to see?"

"The Lord Tanaka and the Lady Mariko, Inuyasha's cousin and aunt. Be on your best behavior."

"Oh! Yes, my lord." Rin paused a second. "My lord, if they are Inuyasha's cousin and aunt, aren't they your cousin and aunt, too?"

"No, Rin. I'll explain later."

"Yes, my lord."

Shippou had taken this opportunity to get next to Kagome. He leapt up to get Kagome to catch him but he was intercepted. Inuyasha grabbed him by his tail and picked him up to eye level. "Oi, runt! What do you think you're doing?"

"I was just going to get Kagome to carry me!"

"Nothin' doin'!" Inuyasha brought his free arm up beneath the kitsune and then let him go. Shippou scrambled up his arm to his shoulder. "You can ride on me. I can carry you easier than Kagome can." He looked at the kitsune on his shoulder. "Besides, I want my son with me." Shippou beamed at Inuyasha and hugged him around the neck. "Ugh! That's enough, runt! You're choking me!"

Miroku and Sango smiled at the interchange between Inuyasha and Shippou. They fell in behind their friends.

When everyone had found a place Inuyasha turned to Daremo and spoke. "Alright, we're ready."

"Very good, my lord. Now, just stay behind me and I shall announce you to the Lord and Lady." Daremo turned back to the door and pushed it open. Slowly, he advanced into the room, with Inuyasha and his friends behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the door on the far side of the room opened, Genki and his mother straightened. 'Finally!' both thought. They watched intently as Daremo stepped into the room. Lady Mariko's eyes went immediately to the young man behind Daremo. She smiled to herself and congradulated herself on her own imagination. 'I knew that it would be a good idea to send father's robes. Now, I know exactly who I am looking for.' Her eyes misted as she looked at the hanyou who slowly advanced toward her and her son. 'He is so tall! Oh, I will not cry, I will not cry! I won't embaress him that way!' The closer Inuyasha came to her, the harder it was to contain herself. 'He looks like his father.' she thought. 'He has Itami's mouth, though. Oh, by the gods, I want to hold him!' Her heart beat hard in her chest as she struggled with the desire to throw protocol to the winds and embrace her lost child. Daremo came to a halt before Genki and bowed. "My Lord Tanaka, I wish to present to you the younger brother of the Demon Lord of the West, your cousin, the Lord Inuyasha."

Before Genki could acknowledge his cousins presence, a movement caught his eye. He turned to see his mother stand. Tears were streaming down her face. "I am sorry, my son, but protocol be damned! I have mourned his death and have rejoiced at hearing of his rebirth. I will not wait any longer!" She faced the startled hanyou and took a step toward him. She held out trembling hands for him. "Inu-chan! I have not held you since you left with your mother. Please, let me hold you now!"

Mariko saw the beautiful young woman at Inuyasha's side take a kitsune from his shoulder. She had tears running down her face as well. She nudged Inuyasha and encouraged him. "Go on, Inuyasha! I told you she would want you!"

Inuyasha took a step toward her. Then another. Suddenly, he rushed into her arms and held her in a tight embrace. He began to cry as the years rolled back and he felt the love of his mother's sister, the woman who he had loved as much as his mother. And, finally, a piece of his soul was able to heal.

Mariko's tears fell into her nephews hair as she held him. She felt a peace come over her that came from holding her nephew. "It is alright, my little one." she soothed, as she did years ago. "I am here and I will let nothing seperate us again." She looked over his shoulder at the others who she just now truly noticed. 'An interesting group.' she thought. 'I must get Inuyasha to tell me who they are. Though I think I know the inu-youkai.' This thought passed on, though, as she turned her attention back to Inuyasha. 'But it can wait.' she thought, as she tightened her grip on her long lost nephew. 'For a few minutes more, it can wait.'

A/N: Well, I tried. I hope that this was worth the wait.