InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reunion ❯ Chapter Twenty-three: Intoductions ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-three

A/N: Overwhelmed. That is the word that I am looking for. I am pleased that so many of you enjoyed the latest chapter as much as you did. I hope that I continue to please you. I would like to thank Mitsuki-chan for her reviews. Deviant art, huh. I must say, you called me to task on several things. I appreciate that. I must confess that part of my errors are based in laziness, either by not taking the time to proofread or by not researching enough. Grammatical errors are mostly due to lack of practice. I have done no creative writing, except for poetry, since college. (18 yrs ago) chuckle My 'little' sister has called me to task for my spelling and grammatical errors, as well. She is a Spanish teacher who has also taught writing. Please feel free to chime in at any time to let me know what you think of the story or to bring any other errors to light. (FYI Mitsuki - My 14 yr old daughter is obsessed with the Inu-youkai demon lord, too!) This goes for all of you who have taken a liking to my story. I hope that you feel free to say whatever comes to mind when you review. I am easy to get along with and accept criticism, as long as it is constructive. Again, my thanks to all my wonderful reviewers. Now, to begin this chapter before you guys get a lynch mob together and find me! I don't own Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru, or any of their friends or followers.

Inuyasha inhaled deeply, taking in the scent of this woman who had meant so much to him in his youth. It was a scent that brought back memories of comfort and peace. He had stopped crying and was just basking in the warmth of her embrace, and enjoying the feel of her stroking his ears. He didn't let just anyone touch his ears. Only a lucky few, Kagome, her mother, his mother, and his aunt, had ever touched his ears with permission. Well, there was one other, but they had been kids and she was either an old woman now or dead. He took another deep breath and raised his head. Slowly, he pulled back away from his aunt to get a better look at her. The years had been kind to her, but it was still a shock to really look at her. Time had passed differently for the two of them. To him, not much more than eleven years had passed. He knew that it was actually sixty-one years but seeing his aunt go from a woman of twenty-two to a woman of eighty-three was a little unnerving.

Mariko read some of what was going on in his face. "Have I changed that much, Inu-chan?"

"I'm sorry, Aunt Mariko. It's just that, for me, the last time I saw you was eleven years ago. To me, you should only be in your thirties. I never thought much about being pinned to that tree for fifty years, until now."

Mariko's face darkened at the mention of his time on the tree. "Yes. Being on that tree robbed us all. We could have brought you home much sooner had we known that you were still alive. When we found out that you were, it was too late." she took a breath. "That 'priestess' had pinned you to that tree!" She looked at her nephew. "We were told that she died shortly after. I would have liked to gotten my hands on her before she did, though."

"Uhm, uh, well..." Inuyasha began. He was interupted by a womans voice.

"Er, pardon me, Lady Mariko, but the story gets pretty complicated."

Inuyasha snapped his head around to look at Kagome. She had come up behind him, holding Shippou. He could see the others waiting patiently, except for Jaken and Rin. Rin was getting restless and Jaken was getting nervous!

Lady Mariko raised an eyebrow at the young woman with the kitsune cub in her arms. "Inu-chan? Would you be so kind as to introduce me to your friends?"

"Of course, Aunt Mariko." Inuyasha was relieved that he got out of that one for a while. He held out his hand to take Kagome's in his. "Aunt Mariko, I would like to introduce you to Kagome Higurashi. She is the miko who freed me from the tree. She is also my best friend." He looked at her with a twinkle in his eyes. "And, my mate."

Lady Mariko stepped forward and gathered Kagome in for a hug. Shippou scampered to Kagome's shoulder before he got caught between the two. "My dear, you are most welcome. I am in your debt for freeing Inu-chan from the spell that witch put on him!"

"Uhm, uh, well... I was glad to do it!" Kagome stammered. "Besides, I think I got a good deal out of it." She winked at Inuyasha.

"Now," Mariko looked at Inuyasha after she disengaged from the hug. "You said 'mate'?"

"Not officially." Inuyasha blushed, slightly. "We haven't mated, yet. We have a task that we have to finish, first."

"I see." Strangely, Lady Mariko didn't pursue this. Instead, she changed the subject by looking at Shippou. "And who is this handsome young man?" she asked, reaching out to stroke his head in much the same way as she did Inuyasha's.

"I'm Shippou!" he declared before either of his adopted parents could speak. "You're a nice lady!" He leaned into her hand as she started scratching him behind the ears. "Ooohhh! A very nice lady!"

Lady Mariko gave a delighted laugh. "Why, thank you! And you seem to be a very nice young man!"

"Feh!" muttered Inuyasha. "A lot you know!"

"Now, Inu-chan! I am sure that he is no different than other little boys his age." Her eyes twinkled, merrily. "I seem to recall a great deal of mischief from you at his age!"

"Hey!" protested Inuyasha. "That wasn't all me! Genki had a hand in it, too!"

"Leave me out of this, Inu-jiji!"

Inuyasha spun to glare at his cousin. Then he snorted. "Look who is calling who old! You are in no position to call me old!"

Genki smiled ruefully and looked down at himself. He shrugged. "True. But, then again, I didn't get to sleep the last fifty years away." He grinned. "I'm glad it was only sleep. I have missed you, cousin. It is good to see you." He opened his arms to embrace Inuyasha. Inuyasha grinned and picked up his cousin in a tight hug. "Ooof! Put me down, Inu-jiji! I'm too old for this nonsense!" Inuyasha laughed and set his cousin back on the floor. "Now, why don't you introduce me to your friends, as well."

"Well, as you have heard, this is Kagome. And the attention hog, there, is Shippou. He is my adopted son."

"Actually, I adopted him first. It took Inuyasha some getting used to before he decided to adopt him, too."

"Feh! That doesn't matter, I've adopted him now." Inuyasha stopped and looked at the rest of the party. 'I guess I should introduce Sesshoumaru, next. No need to insult him by making him last.' "Genki, Aunt Mariko, I would like to introduce you to my brother, Sesshoumaru."

Sesshoumaru stepped forward with Rin holding his hand. When he came up to the startled Genki and Lady Mariko, he inclined his head to them. "It is an honor to be in this house." He turned his gaze to the Lady Mariko, alone. "It pleases me that you still live, Lady Mariko."

"Sesshoumaru! Oh, I'm sorry, I should say Lord Sesshoumaru! I thought that I recognized you!" Mariko looked at him appraisingly. "You have grown into a handsome demon, but then, you were handsome when you were younger anyway." Mariko looked at the young girl at Sesshoumaru's side, holding his hand. "And who is this lovely young lady? Is she your daughter?"

"No, she is not. She is human." he replied with a touch of stiffness. " She is my ward, Rin."

Rin ducked her head and was suddenly overcome with a bought of shyness. She hid behind Sesshoumaru's leg.

"It's alright, child. I don't bite. Come out so that I can get a better look at you."

"Yeah, come on Rin." called Shippou. He jumped down and went to her. He took her hand and pulled on it to get her from behind Sesshoumaru. "She's a nice lady."

Rin allowed herself to be pulled forward. She trusted Shippou and new that he wouldn't stear her wrong. She bowed to Lady Mariko. "This Rin is pleased to meet you. Are you really Inuyasha-sama's aunt?"

"Yes, my dear, I am."

"Why aren't you Sesshoumaru-sama's aunt, too?"

"Rin. I told you that I would explain later." Sesshoumaru admonished the child, softly.

"I'm sorry, milord."

"It's alright, Lord Sesshoumaru. I don't mind the question." Lady Mariko smiled at Rin. "Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru have the same father, but Inuyasha's mother was my sister. They met and married after Lord Sesshoumaru's mother died."

"Ohhh! I see!" Rin looked up at Sesshoumaru. "I'm sorry about your mother, milord. I never thought about you having a mother."

Several of the adults standing nearby suddenly developed fits of coughing at the child's innocent remark. Inuyasha openly snorted. "That's one way to put it." he mumbled.

Sesshoumaru cast an icy look his brothers direction. "That is quite alright, Rin. Now, we need to let Inuyasha continue with his introductions."

Inuyasha grimaced slightly at the next person to introduce. 'I might as well get this over with.' sigh "The other person in Sesshoumaru's party is his vassal. His name is ...." That was as far as he got before he was interrupted by his aunt.

"Jaken." she finished for him. "Oh, yes. I remember him from the last time he was here." Her face wore the look of someone who wished they didn't.

"Really!?" exclaimed the little toad demon. "It is nice to meet a human who finally recognizes..."

"Jaken, be silent." ordered Sesshoumaru, interupting what he knew would be a very long winded speech.

Jaken visably deflated and then sighed. "Yes, my lord."

Lady Mariko looked at Sesshoumaru and mouthed the words, "Thank you!" Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow and allowed the corner of his mouth to quirk up slightly in acknowledgement.

Inuyasha breathed a sigh of relief that his brother had shut the annoying toad up and continued with his introductions. "This lady," he said, indicating Sango, "is the demon exterminator, Sango."

This statement caused intakes of breath from his cousin and aunt. Genki recovered first. "You travel with a demon exterminator! Why doesn't she try to kill you?"

"She did, the first time we met. But Kagome got her to come around to the idea that not all demons or hanyous are evil."

"It wasn't just Kagome, Inuyasha. It was being in close contact with you and Shippou that convinced me that there were both good and evil demons." Sango made this statement, quietly. "My father and the rest of my village never took the time to see if there were good and evil demons. They just assumed that all demons were evil unless they could be used as companions, like Kirara." The firecat demon looked up at her mistress and meowed.

"Sango is a close and valued friend. She has saved the lives of everone in our party at one time or another." Kagome made this statement while moving over to put her arm around Sango's shoulders.

"Not as many times as Inuyasha has!" protested Sango.

"True. But he can't do everything and be everywhere!"

"Feh! What's that supposed to mean?"

Genki nodded in satisfaction. Mariko smiled at the exterminator. "You are welcome here. I am pleased that Inuyasha has so many good friends. I know that most hanyous don't."

"Well, there is only one person left to introduce." He motioned for Miroku to step forward. "This is Miroku. He is a lecherous, hentai monk. But, he's pretty good in a fight."

"Thank you for that flattering introduction." Miroku said, deadpan. He bowed to Lady Mariko. "It is always a pleasure to meet a beautiful lady such as yourself." He smiled and took one of her hands in both of his. "If I may be so bold, would you consider bearing my child?"

Shippou groaned. Rin giggled. Sango and Kagome gasped. Inuyasha swore and reached for his sword. The Lady Mariko smiled and began to laugh, low at first and building until she had tears running down her face. "Oh, my goodness!" she was able to say after she got control of herself. "Thank you, monk! That is the best compliment that I have recieved in years!" She suddenly smiled a sly smile. "But, I have to know. What are you going to do when I accept your offer?"

"Accept, my lady?!" Miroku was startled.

"Why, of course!" Mariko smiled at him, coyly. "It has been many years since a man as handsome as yourself has offered to spend the evening in my arms. But it hasn't been so many that I have forgotten what it feels like!"

"Mother!"

"Aunt Mariko?!"

Kagome was speechless. Sango was doing a slow burn. Shippou was the first one to get it, perhaps because he was the most devious one there. He started laughing. He ran over a leapt into Mariko's arms. After she caught him he leaned into her and in a stage whisper said, "How long are you going to string him along?"

"I think that perhaps this is long enough." she replied, as she began scratching his ears. She winked at Miroku. "Be at ease, friend monk. I will not subject you to an old woman's embrace."

Miroku smiled at her. "Somehow, I doubt that the experience would be entirely unpleasant. You intrigue me enough that I begin to feel disappointed."

"Be careful, monk! I might change my mind!"

"Miroku!" snarled a very ticked off Inuyasha. "If you know what's good for you, shut up!" Suddenly, he stopped and smiled, nastily. "Or would you rather me sic Sango on you?"

"You don't need to sic me on him." came a frosty voice from behind the monk. Miroku's face paled. "I intend to have words with our friend here when we return to the inn and I retieve Hiraikotsu."

"Lady Sango, that won't be necessary!" Miroku said in desperation.

Sango smiled at him sweetly. "Oh, yes it will be, houshi-sama!"

Mariko smiled at the interchange and was about to comment when a voice from the door of the audience chamber distracted her. Her face paled and she shared a quick look with her son as the voice spoke.

"Forgive me, Lord Tanaka and Lady Mariko. I know that you didn't want to be interupted but..."

The woman's voice trailed off as she saw the group before her. The group turned to look at the very beautiful young woman who had entered the chamber. Her eyes centered on Inuyasha and she turned white. No one was prepared for her reaction. "Inuyasha?"she said and then fainted.

Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango, Kagome, Daremo, and Genki all rushed to the woman's side. Daremo dropped to his knees and supported the woman's head. Kagome knealt beside her to see if she could render first aid. "Let me help, Daremo. Lord Tanaka, could you get a servant to bring some water?"

"Of course, Lady Kagome."

"Inuyasha? Do you know this woman?" asked Miroku.

"Never seen her before. Her scent is familiar but I don't recognize it or her face."

"Are you sure, Inuyasha?" Lady Mariko asked, as she came up behind the group that had rushed over.

"There is something, but I can't put my finger on it." He looked at his aunt. "Who is she?"

"Inuyasha. Please, before I tell you, please don't be angry with me. I wanted to spend some time with you before I brought her back into your life." Mariko was looking desperate.

"Aunt Mariko!" Inuyasha took her hands in his. "It's alright! I'm sure that it can't be that bad. Now, who is she?"

Mariko took a deep breath. "This is Yukiho."

Inuyasha was stunned. "But that's impossible!"

"So, you do know this woman." stated Miroku.

"It can't be! Yukiho was seven when I went into exhile! She would be Genki's age now! This woman," he indicated the woman on the floor, "can't be much more than twenty!"

"No, Inuyasha. It is the same Yukiho." Genki had returned from summoning a servant.

"But, it's not possible."

"It is if she is mated to a demon."

"Yeah, maybe. But, who is her mate?"

"Inuyasha! She claims that it's you!"

Kagome's head shot up. "What!?" she exclaimed. Suddenly, her eyes rolled back in her head and she fainted across the woman she had been tending to.

A/N: Yes, I am an evil man. Have I snared you yet? Are you ready to give me anything I ask for just to see how this ends? hahahaha Just kidding. I welcome the flames that are coming. Next up will be some explainations, and are they going to be good! Until next time, Fyrloche.