InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Revelation, Realization & Redemption ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters they are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. This story was written for the purposes of entertainment and I by no means will profit from the story other than the satisfaction of exercising my imaginative and writing abilities.
 
 
Chapter 4: Kagome's Secret
 
 
Dispassionate amber eyes regarded the scene before him; his face expressionless as the taiyoukai regarded the interloper. Inuyasha stood between him and the miko, eyes glinting with that all too familiar hatred. Tetsusaiga's energy pulsed in the air, awaiting its release. Sesshomaru was certain that the hanyou before him was prepared to use the sword in the miko's defense. He was just as certain that his brother would not waiver in using its power against him; defense of the miko or not. There was much to justify his brother's animosity and the taiyoukai once more regretted the promise he had made long ago.
 
Despite this the Taiyoukai could not help the feeling of disappointment in his brother. He had been here speaking with the miko and no one had rushed to her defense. They all had lay sleeping. True, it had suited his purposes for he did not wish their interference, but the smells of others surely should have roused his brother from his slumber before this moment. This only confirmed that they needed his help more than they would have liked to admit. All of them, including his brother were ill prepared for what lay ahead.
 
Unfazed, undaunted and unperturbed by the threat that hung in the air, Sesshomaru spoke, his voice emotionless though his words left no doubt as to what he thought of his brother's tardiness in defending the miko. “You choose to protect her now. Do not make me laugh brother. While you lay dreaming in the treetops I could have taken her life several times over. You should be grateful it was not the smell of her blood staining the ground that roused you. Put your toy away, we don't have time for this today.”
 
Amber eyes glittered defiantly as they locked with Sesshomaru's emotionless ones. His brother's words served only to feed the anger and hatred that was boiling within him. His words came out in an angry snarl. “I didn't know you were so ready to die, brother.”
 
With that said Inuyasha pulled his arm back poised to release the power held within the sword and finally be rid of at least one foe. Before he could finish the forward swing a familiar touch to his arm staid his movements and he turned his head. His eyes meeting the eyes of the woman he sought to protect. His unasked question evident on every feature of his face hung in the air unsaid.
 
“Inuyasha” Kagome's soft voice was like water thrown onto the fire in his soul, calming the beast within, but not lessening the building confusion. “Inuyasha it's okay. He's the one that put up the barrier. Sesshomaru protected us last night. I think we should hear what he has to say. Can't you feel the energy?”
 
Everything seemed to stop moving at that moment, as both brothers gave their undivided attention to the woman who had just spoken. Neither could believe what they had just heard her say, nor could they believe that she had stopped Inuyasha's attack.
 
Sesshomaru looked upon the woman as if he was seeing her for the first time. Astonished the taiyoukai could not fathom what had changed her mind. Only mere moments ago she looked as if she would flee for her life. The taiyoukai instinctively knew that she had intended to rouse Inuyasha from his sleep to aide her. Yet, now his brother had come to her rescue and she had staid his hand. Could it be that she believed him? He could only hope that she meant the words she said.
 
Inuyasha however was incredulous that she could be so stupid at a time like this, especially since it concerned his brother. The hanyou regarded her intensely trying to figure out what had happened. He looked deep into her midnight eyes, searched her face, and observed her demeanor looking for any indication that she had been possessed. In his mind that could be the only explanation. Because he couldn't figure out what she was talking about, he didn't feel any energy. “What the hell are you talking about?” The hanyou asked his voice full of angry bewilderment. “I don't feel any energy.”
 
The sound of running footsteps and heavy breathing briefly drew his attention to Miroku and Sango who had come running up at that moment, followed closely by Kirara in her true demon form. If there was any energy Inuyasha knew one or the both of the humans would be able to sense it. The only things Kagome could sense that they could not were the jewel shards.
 
“Miroku, Sango do either of you sense any energy or strange barriers around us?” Inuyasha growled the question in their general direction, his eyes and attention back on his brother, ready to strike at the slightest provocation.
 
“No, I feel no energy from a barrier, but I do feel the energy of a demon.” Sango said coldly her glance taking in Sesshomaru and Jaken, “actually two demons.”
 
“I don't feel anything either, nor do I feel traces that any such thing existed.” Miroku added, as he looked around in confusion. He had heard Kagome's assertion. The monk knew better than doubt her abilities. The question was; if there was a barrier what did Sesshomaru really want if he hadn't come for the sword Inuyasha held in his hand.
 
“Whatever you've done to her, you better undo it now” Inuyasha growled at his brother. His grip tightened on the sword as fear shot through him. Sesshomaru had targeted Kagome. That knowledge was enough to make his fiery demon blood run cold. His brother was a formidable enemy, one that would not easily be defeated and he would be hard pressed to defeat the bastard, but he would to save Kagome.
 
“I'm not under a spell.” Kagome snapped indignantly as she dropped her hand from his arm. She turned her confused gaze towards her friends who had come to her aide. She searched their faces as she posed the questions to them once again. Her voice left them no doubt of her conviction that she did indeed feel something. “Can't you feel it? Can't you feel the energy? Miroku you must? …Sango?”
 
Both the monk and the taijiya shook their heads wishing that they had felt something. Sango and Miroku both knew without a doubt that she felt something. Whether it was a trick or not was what they were unsure of. Their eyes darted from Kagome to Sesshomaru looking for any indication, any sign of a trick and could find none.
 
Inuyasha dropped his arm to his side, but he did not sheath the tetsusiaga. His eyes and attention fully on the young woman who stood behind him, once more he watched her for any signs that she may be under some sort of spell. He could hear the urgency in her voice as she asked Miroku and Sango. He still could see no sign that she was being controlled.
 
Kagome searched their faces and only saw their confusion and mistrust. She had been possessed before, and nothing could be clearer than the energy that she felt surrounding them. As she stood there trying to find a way to make them understand, to make them believe that this was not a trap of some sort without talking about the souls she possessed another feeling came into her stream of consciousness. This time she knew immediately what it was: demons. She had traveled long enough in this era to know what that feeling meant. Kagome was certain that the others must feel them too as the presence was getting stronger. None of them gave any indication that they felt it, all eyes were still mostly focused on her filled with confused concern.
 
Midnight eyes turned back to the taiyoukai, and locked with amber ones that glinted like polished topaz. One word entered her mind then… TRUTH, he was telling the truth. Midnight eyes cleared as the enormity of what Sesshomaru had been telling her this morning began to weigh heavily upon her shoulders. It was then that she realized that no one else could help her understand the powers that flowed within her.
 
The irony was not lost on Kagome, and right now she would rather not think about it. She had awoken from a peaceful slumber where her dreams made more sense than what was happening around her. Well, come to think of it, her life these past two and a half years had been stranger than most of her dreams. However, this latest most unexpected twist required from her a leap of faith she wasn't certain she was ready to take. Yet instinctively she knew she must find it within herself to do so. Whatever had happened before meant nothing and should be set aside, forgotten.
 
A tug on her skirt reminded Kagome once more that Rin was there. Kagome could not believe that the young girl had stood there in silence as they played out some sort of sordid melodrama before her. Out of the corner of her eye she saw everything she had pulled from the pack still lay on the ground.
 
Breakfast...
 
The word brought to mind the forgotten task, a welcome distraction from the confusion that surrounded her. “Rin, are you hungry?”
 
The little girl nodded her head vigorously as the others in the group looked at Kagome as if she had lost her mind. Kagome simply ignored them and asked the girl to pick up some little sticks for her as they needed to build a small fire to heat the water to heat the Ramen.
 
“What is going on? Is she under some sort of spell Miroku?” Sango asked the monk as the two of them walked behind Kagome and the little girl. The taijiya's eyes watched her friend's every move, looking for some sign of dementia…something that would give her some insight into this strange behavior. Kagome appeared normal as she stacked the sticks handed to her by the small child and started a small fire to heat the water she had poured into a pan.
 
“No, I don't sense anything from her.” The monk whispered back. “Yet, I can't help but think that you are right, she's acting strangely. Something must have happened that we don't understand. Kagome senses something though, of that I'm certain.”
 
The monk cast a curious glance over his shoulder at the taiyoukai. Something was going on. He knew Kagome well enough to know that she normally would have waken them at the first sight of him; even after what had happened yesterday… there was something Kagome wasn't telling them, of that he was certain. Something had happened to change her perception of the demon lord. But what could have happened in so short a time?
 
The smell of ramen drifted through the air tickling the hanyou's nose, drawing his gaze to Kagome. His brother had not moved since Kagome had walked away. Carefully backing away towards where the food was, Inuyasha made his way to be closer to the girl, careful to keep an eye on his brother, ready to react at the slightest provocation. He too was slightly baffled that Kagome would set about making breakfast just as they were in the middle of something. Maybe it was the strange child that was with his brother.
 
“Inuyasha put the sword away. Sesshomaru won't do anything.” Kagome said sternly as the hanyou approached her and Rin. She had not missed the fact that Rin's brown eyes were wide and focused upon the sword he still brandished, and she was not about to let the young girl be frightened of them.
 
Inuyasha looked back at Sesshomaru, who still stood motionless, watching Kagome intently. Grudgingly he muttered something under his breath as he sheathed the deadly blade. Distractedly he accepted the bowl Kagome handed him, his eyes never leaving his brother as he sat on Kagome's sleeping bag narrowly missing Shippo who was just beginning to wake up.
 
Turquoise eyes looked curiously around the group as the kitsune felt the tension in the air. Something was up and he wasn't quite sure what it was and was quite confused that he had slept so long, and so deeply. He hadn't done so since his mother had died. It was then he noticed Rin was back with them. He blinked his eyes knowing that Kagome said that Rin had gone off with Sesshomaru yesterday. Maybe she had gotten lost again, but as his eyes focused and he looked around he could clearly see the terrifying form of Inuyasha's brother standing not so far from them.
 
Turquoise eyes filled with confusion as he looked around the group again, Sango and Miroku were eyeing Kagome carefully from where they sat. Kirara was on Sango's shoulder looking unperturbed. Kagome was busy with breakfast. None of them seemed too concerned about Sesshomaru…well except for Inuyasha who was sitting right next to him muttering under his breath between bites.
 
“Kagome, what's going on? Why is Sesshomaru here? Why aren't we fighting him?” Shippo asked when Kagome came over to give him his bowl of Ramen.
 
“She's being stupid and trusting like always and she's going to get herself killed because she doesn't want to listen to anything anyone else is trying to tell her.” Inuyasha replied testily as he stole another glance to where his brother still stood.
 
Midnight eyes glittered angrily, almost turning black as she looked at Inuyasha. She still didn't understand it herself, but she knew that Sesshomaru was not here to fight. It was his barrier that protected them, and it was frustrating trying to explain it when Inuyasha didn't trust her. She couldn't blame him for not trusting Sesshomaru, even with what she felt Kagome was still having a hard time reconciling everything that she had known to what was happening now. “I already told you what I know. If you can't trust me and accept it, I don't know what else to tell you. I felt it. I still feel it. That's why we all slept so well last night, it's not a spell, and I'm not crazy.” Kagome ground out in frustration before she turned away to get two more bowls.
 
Inuyasha watched her in silence. Soon it dawned upon him that she intended to offer his brother and that stupid toad that traveled with him some food. The little girl was one thing, but he was not about to let her give some of their food to his brother.
 
“What the hell do you think you're doing?” he growled as Kagome stepped past him.
 
“It'd be rude not to offer him something to eat when the rest of us are all eating.” Kagome replied stiffly as she continued with her intended task, more than aware that all eyes were on her, and that all of them probably thought she had lost her mind. “I already told you, he helped us last night. The least we could do in return is to offer him something to eat. Honestly what's your problem with that?” Kagome continued without thinking, and regretted the words as they left her mouth. Why couldn't Inuyasha just trust her for once without argument? Kagome sighed. She knew why, she wished she didn't have to try to convince him when she was still trying to convince herself.
 
“It might have something to do with the little fact that he has tried to kill me. But that doesn't seem to matter to you now that the two of you are best friends.” Inuyasha growled.
 
“What is your problem?” Sango asked Inuyasha who she knew was deliberately trying to egg Kagome on at this point. Though the taijiya agreed with him, she knew her friend had a good reason for whatever she was doing and they weren't going to get any straight answers if the hanyou didn't stop antagonizing her.
 
“My problem is just the fact that she's sitting here giving our food to a demon who has always gone out of his way to try to kill me. Hell he's tried to kill her at least once. Can't she see that he is dangerous? When he tries to kill her again I'm not going to let her forget I tried to tell her.” Inuyasha spoke loud enough to be sure she heard every word he had said.
 
Kagome whirled around to face him then. She knew he was right. The same concerns and emotions had gone through her head this morning as well, but things had changed. Just like that day she had fallen through the well; everything she knew and believed had changed. She had accepted that, and she would accept this as well, and he would too even if she had to `sit' him into it.
 
“Inuyasha, “ Miroku interjected as he saw the glint in Kagome's eye and he realized that she was actually very close to using him to create another crater. The monk doubted very much that was something Inuyasha wanted his brother to see, “Kagome is often able to sense things that we cannot, we must trust her.”
 
“You're crazy too.” Inuyasha looked at the monk.
 
“We're not saying that we won't be watching his every move.” Sango interjected then, her gaze flicking to where the two demons still stood just to emphasize her point. “I can't say that I trust either of them. I agree that this may be a trap, but I trust Kagome…”
 
“As should you, Inuyasha. There have been many times she has been able to do things or sense things but we haven't been able to figure out why. Nor have we found out how to tap into that power on a consistent basis. Her instincts haven't been wrong yet. No matter how the rest of us don't like it, she senses something from your brother. So you, like us, need to just accept it.” Miroku finished for the taijiya. Sango also looked uneasy, but he was glad she had chosen to trust Kagome's instincts.
 
“You're all crazy.” Inuyasha growled out. He quickly ate the rest of his ramen in angry silence, before standing. Amber eyes glanced around taking in the group at various stages of eating. As he caught a glimpse of his brother and the imp eating out of the bowls Kagome had given them he felt a fresh surge of anger. The hanyou knew now was not the time to act, Kagome would not allow him to do that. He had to release it somehow.
 
“We'd better get going if we're going to find Naraku.” He practically barked the order to the rest of them. And he began storming around the camp gathering things up in an effort to speed their departure.
 
Sesshomaru watched the scene before him with interest. Long ago he had thought that Inuyasha was the leader of this little `pack', but this morning was proving yet another of his theories wrong. There was no clear leader of this small group; they all seemed to look to each other of support and approval. He had noticed that when the young girl had asked the other two humans if they felt the energy. This was another unexpected development and he was uncertain if it would work to his advantage or disadvantage in the long run. For now, it appeared to be in his favor.
 
Sesshomaru released the spirit shield that encircled the area surrounding the group when he saw that they were ready to continue their journey.
 
Inuyasha took the lead needing to distance himself from the others. His anger was not likely to dissipate too soon. If Kagome wanted Sesshomaru to travel with them it wasn't going to be by his side. None of them understood his brother. None of them understood what went on in his head, and he couldn't find the words to make them understand it. If only they knew the truth they wouldn't have welcomed his damned brother for any reason.
 
Miroku walked next to Sango, who as usual had Kirara on her shoulder. The two of them were also confused as to this most unexpected development. Both were torn about how to react to this new rift between the hanyou and the young woman. It was true that the two of them often traveled in anger such as this from one argument or another, but this time was different. This time a dangerous taiyoukai traveled with them, and they did not want to give him the opportunity to hurt Kagome. Swift glances over their shoulders from time to time were proof of this, though what they saw gave them no answers only more questions.
 
Kagome as usual walked in the rear of the group silently pushing her bike along. Shippo sat quietly in the basket. The kitsune had traveled with Kagome long enough to know that she was in no mood to talk. In addition to that knowledge the fact that Sesshomaru was walking right beside her kept him quiet. The young kitsune had no desire to draw the taiyoukai's notice. Rin sat atop the backpack Kagome had strapped to the back of her bike. The little girl looked positively delighted at this new way to travel, but she too remained silent. The only sound from the group was the incessant muttering from the small imp that brought up the rear, respectfully keeping his place five paces behind his Lord.
 
They walked in silence for some time. Sesshomaru matched her slower pace, and soon the others were far enough ahead that he was certain they were out of earshot. Sesshomaru had not uttered a word to the rest of them; he had only spoken to his brother. The taiyoukai knew they were distrustful of him, and he did not blame them for it. Throughout their acquaintance with his brother he had given them more than ample reason to despise him, and the taiyoukai expected, and anticipated much, but the woman's reaction had caught him off guard. She had staid his brother's arm, effectively stopping his attack. He had decided then to watch and assess what had happened.
 
Sesshomaru regarded the young woman out of the corner of his eye from time to time. It was apparent that she was still not totally at ease with him, but yet she had forced the others to let him into their presence without a fight. The girl had mentioned the barrier, but she did not tell them about the powers she possessed. Not one word had passed her lips about the souls and her miko powers. The taiyoukai thought this very strange behavior for a human. He would have thought she would have mentioned her abilities with that detestable pride humans possessed. Again she had surprised him.
 
It was evident the others in the group knew that she was capable of other things. The monk was more than adamant about respecting her abilities and had pressed this point with his brother and the female taijiya. Both of whom acquiesced, albeit reluctantly, trusting their friend rather than him. Sesshomaru had not expected this much.
 
The taiyoukai's curiosity was piqued, and seeing that no one besides the children were within earshot he decided to pose the question to her. “Kagome, why did you not tell the others about the souls?”
 
“Why didn't you?” she retorted. Surely if he wanted them to know so badly he could have said something instead of standing there letting her argue. It occurred to her then that he could have told them that he had put a barrier around them as they slept. “Why didn't you tell them that you put the barrier around us?”
 
Sesshomaru turned his gaze upon her fully then, an arched silver brow the only indication of his surprise at having been addressed so by her. “Would they have believed me?” His voice was calm revealing nothing of what he felt about her impertinence and anger. Amber eyes watched her face as the varying emotions struggled for supremacy. He knew she had accepted what he said as the truth. She knew as well as he that if he had spoken it only would have made things more complicated. As it was he had accomplished what he had meant to do, and that was to make her understand that he was speaking the truth.
 
“No.” She finally acquiesced. Her voice low, barely above a whisper, it was evident that she was grudgingly admitting that he was right.
 
Kagome raised her eyes to meet his. He still seemed to be scrutinizing her, waiting for her to answer his initial question. She inhaled deeply as she fought for the words to make her feelings known without sounding too silly and without revealing too much.
 
“They,” she began slowly nodding at the others who walked ahead of her, “all of them look after me so much already. If I have this power in me, and I could have used it all this time, what would they think of me? I still don't think I have all the power that you think I do. Besides, they already know that I possess Kikyo's soul. I didn't think it made a difference if I possessed some other miko's soul as well. Besides I don't like reminding them that I'm Kikyo's reincarnation, they're only too aware of that.”
 
Sesshomaru had been watching her intently, and he did not miss the way her voice lowered when she spoke Kikyo's name, or that her eyes darted to Inuyasha as if waiting for him to react to it spoken. He had seen her interaction with his brother today, his reaction to her touch. The way she had looked at him pleadingly, even now her face betrayed her feelings. Sesshomaru understood all too clearly that she was in love with his brother.
 
“Them or Inuyasha?” Sesshomaru posed the question to her. He saw her face pale, and her midnight eyes cloud with the varying emotions coursing through her. This human girl was so transparent, wearing her emotions so openly for everyone to see. “You have great feelings for him.” He stated plainly.
 
Kagome could feel the heat rise to her face. She looked away only to meet Shippo's round turquoise eyes staring at her in undisguised wonder. Immediately she looked away casting her gaze downward, and slowing her pace even more. She was embarrassed that not only did Sesshomaru stumble upon her feelings, but the small kitsune had witnessed all of this. She had hoped to keep this to herself, no matter how heavily it pressed upon her heart.
 
Sesshomaru watched the color spread into her cheeks. Not for the first time realized how much she had grown since she had come into this world. The long raven tresses now hung gently past her hips, her legs had more definition to them, and her figure was definitely more womanly than the first time he had laid eyes on her. She had grown up physically. But yet she still persisted with this childish dream of a future with his brother. Sesshomaru knew he would never understand humans and their fantastical wishes for what could never be.
 
Sesshomaru's voice brought her attention back to him. “You are young though you are no longer the girl you were when you entered this time. I can clearly see now the vestiges of a woman where once a girl had been, yet you seem to persist in the same childish dream. I know what I say brings you sorrow, but I assure you I don't say this to bring you that pain. I know you are not of this world as do you and those that you travel with. When this is over, what will you do? Will you remain here?” He paused watching her reaction then. When she did not speak he continued. “No, you will return to your time, and your friends will remain here.”
 
He could see the storm of emotions reflected in her eyes the pain, sorrow understanding and anger. He understood that she didn't like to be reminded of what was to come, but knew that he must. The feelings she had for Inuyasha could be asset or liability and he was not willing to take a chance. He continued. “It is to your credit that you have great loyalty and devotion to your friends. Those affections are natural in humans. Many times I've seen humans accomplish much because of such feelings; I have also seen them crushed because of them. Emotions are a double edged sword. They can be your greatest strength as well as be your greatest weakness.”
 
“What are you trying to say?” Kagome asked impatiently when Sesshomaru paused again.
 
“You know what I'm saying. I was trying to spare your feelings. It will hurt you to hear this, but I must speak plainly. There is no future for you with my brother. Not now, not in this time,” he paused there and saw the tears that welled up in her eyes, and forced himself to continue. “I don't know what your time may bring, but you should look to the future for your heart's desire, not here in the past.”
 
“How?” was the only word she was able to utter through the emotions that swirled around in her. She forced herself to put her emotions in order, and make herself understood. Finally the words formed and she pushed them out in indignant anger that came out in little more than a whisper. “How do you know where I come from? How do you know how I feel?”
 
“It's my duty to know what happens on my lands, as for your feelings they're easy enough to see. Humans wear them so openly and change them so often; I often wonder how they get through each day. All too often humans allow their emotions to get in the way of their duties and obligations.”
 
Kagome looked at him for a moment, studying him before she said testily, “It must be very sad to not feel anything, to go through life just doing things out of obligation.”
 
Sesshomaru almost shook his head in disappointment over her reaction, but it was not unexpected. How typically human it was to lash out with anger at whomever spoke the unwanted truth. “I never said that we do not feel. We feel things far greater than you can ever imagine, but we are able to think clearly and logically and set aside emotions and feelings if need be to accomplish what must be done. To show emotion is to show weakness to one's enemies, they must not know what it is that drives you. You need to let me know before today is out if you will accept my offer to help train you how to wield your powers.”
 
Kagome blinked a couple times at his reply. Having been around Inuyasha for so long she had expected him to yell at her after what she had said. Sesshomaru was not his brother, and she felt silly and childish for acting out in anger like she had.
 
“I do want your help.” Kagome said soberly, “I realize that you're the only one who can really help me. They all care about me, but I know what we face is beyond all of us, and I`ll have to be strong if I'm to help. This is my fault in the first place.”
 
Sesshomaru suspected that in the end she would have to do more than just help. The taiyoukai kept this suspicion to himself; as he was not yet entirely certain of what her true role would be. Kagome was not yet ready to hear the true extent of what he believed.
 
“No, it is not your fault Kagome. No one can control destiny, they can put it aside for a while, but eventually it will have its own way. Destiny has chosen this as the time. An ancient battle will finally have a resolution. But now I must leave you for the moment, I will return before the evening as I have other duties I must attend to. I will leave Rin in your care.”
 
Without another word the taiyoukai motioned to the imp who eagerly stepped forward onto a mist of energy that suddenly formed at Sesshomaru's feet. Moments later the two demons were airborne headed towards the boundaries of the Western Lands.
 
Kagome watched them go, wondering what he meant by an ancient battle, yet another question to think about. She looked ahead to the others, and had caught Miroku glancing back at her. They all had questions, and the only one with the answers wasn't very forthcoming with the answers. As it was, she still wasn't sure what to say to her friends about this morning.