InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifice ❯ Sacrifice ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifice

Prolouge

By: Lazuli

<lazulidreamer@yahoo.com>

Now, its not really a new Fanfiction. *sees people come after her with flamethrowers* It's something I've been working on for awhile! I promise I'll finish Shared Blood. This is something new, tell me what you think. Inuyasha does not belong to me.

Kagome felt sick as she left her family's graves, wishing that she could stay, that she could cry out her grief of their loss. She couldn't even stay at the shrine, though, taking care of it. She wasn't trained, and she couldn't maintain her ancestral home without her full training as a miko.

She quickly threw some items into her bag, wondering if her cousin really was going to take her in--train her as she was supposed to be trained. She sighed. She didn't want to leave. She decided to visit the well house one more time. Her favorite legend that her grandfather had told her was about the well.

"This well is very old, Kagome. It goes back many centuries. It would eat the bones of anything evil that passed through there, and those that were good were rewarded with something that they never knew existed, but was what their heart desired all along."

She made sure that the miko robes she wore were neat and orderly...even if she wasn't fully trained, she wanted to be, and it didn't hurt to wear the outfit one more time before she discarded it for a long time.

Peering into the darkness of the bone-eaters well, she smiled at her grandfather's words. "Something my heart desires?" She asked quietly "It wouldn't hurt to try you out, eh?"

Climbing carefully into the well by the wooden ladder, she quickly made it to the bottom and leaned against the cool earth walls.

"I could just hide out here. No one would miss me." She sighed softly, holding her bag in her hands. "They could find me years later...make up stories about the great miko who traveled between times!"

She laughed softly to herself, knowing no one was around to hear her. She knew that she couldn't stay. It wasn't as if they boxed ramen and frozen dinners would actually feed her in the well--there wasn't an outlet she could plug a microwave into--she would starve. She got up with a sigh, putting one hand to the earth covered wall...

Wait...where was the ladder? Did she fall asleep or something and someone pulled it away? She growled. She wasn't *serious* about staying in the bottom of the well!

She swore lightly under her breath, and threw the pack over one shoulder as she grabbed onto the hanging vines, hauling herself bodily out of the well. She was sweating by the time she got to the top, falling on her rear more than once.

Looking around her, Kagome's eyes grew wide. There had to be some truth to her grandfather's legends after all. The well didn't eat her, didn't give her a heart's desire, but inserted her a some place that was unknown to her.

She pushed out of the brambles abruptly, her eyes taking in the scenery around her in shock. This wasn't her home. There wasn't anything remotely familiar, and she wondered what had happened and where she was. She walked slowly to examine her surroundings further.

Instead of her temple grounds, she was staring at a narrow path to a village, water on both sides of the earthen walkway. She got up slowly and made her way toward the village.

"Halt!" Kagome looked up at the man standing at the entrance of the village, his expression fierce. He relaxed when Kagome fully came into view, and he smiled.

"A miko! Come in, please. The gods must have sent you." Kagome stared at him, bewildered, before following him.

Kikyo looked at the young girl in front of her, her expression serious. When Touya had brought her in, he claimed she was a miko. Kikyo sensed the miko power about her, but it was wild and untrained. She didn't miss the fact that this girl looked hauntingly like her.

She looked at her eyes, and bit back a gasp. How could she have not seen it before? This girl…her eyes were a startling blue-gray color-she was filled with water, and bad luck.

"Stupid witch! We should kill you right now." The rough voice of the villager grated on her ears, and Kagome winced as she was thrust against the hard packed ground, her body already aching from the position she had been forced to sleep in last night. Her wrists were sore from the ropes that were tied around them, and she knew that some of her ribs were bruised from the kicks she had been receiving in her side by her villagers that now held her captive.

Kagome didn't bother to reply to the angry man who was standing guard over her. He believed that she brought the floods on his house, killing his wife and child. Why should she try and make him believe any different? He was a man filled with grief and anger, and anything spoken by her wouldn't change a thing.

"I'm glad we're letting a youkai get a hold of you, though. It's more than you deserve, but at least I know you'll be dead--like my Midori and Emi are dead." He spat at her feet, and she moved away the slightest bit so that she wouldn't get spat *on*.

She heard rustling in the distance, and her eyes widened the slightest bit. She could pretend all she wanted she wasn't scared of her fate, but if she was given to this youkai, she knew that she wouldn't have much time left. Why did she have to be born with blue gray eyes? In this time, she was only seen as a curse-one who would kill all that let her remain around.

"Kikyo should have killed you from the beginning." He muttered. "She knew you were bad luck…that you weren't really a miko."

"Feh. You're sacrificing your miko to youkai now, human? You really are a demented bunch of people."

Kagome heard the annoyed voice of a young man, and she risked looking upwards, and her eyes caught a flash of red robes before the person moved from her sight, but not before his eyes met hers.

"Gods, you people are sick. Just tossing a girl out because of the color of her eyes." Kagome didn't dare move. Even the youkai didn't want her. He probably thought she was bad luck too. She wanted to laugh, but she could find nothing humorous in the situation.

"I'll take her out of your hands. Hope you feel guilty for the rest of your lives." Kagome didn't have a chance to breathe before she was hauled to her feet to look into a pair of amber eyes.

"C'mon, girl. I don't know what I'm going to do with you, but I'll think of something." Nodding slowly, Kagome followed the youkai out of the village, leaving behind the life that she once knew, stepping onto the path of a new one.

Resting against the side of a pine tree, Kagome watched the youkai walk up ahead, not even realizing that she stopped. He had gotten her out of the village safely. Everyone thought she was dead, and it wasn't like she could go live at another town--not with her blue eyes. She could stay out here forever--her fate would be the same, either way.

She closed her eyes, wondering what she was going to do. She wasn't the type to roll over and die--or else she would have done so earlier than this.

"Oi, girl! Get moving." Kagome looked up in surprise to see the youkai bending over her, his eyes narrowed in annoyance. "Are you just going to stand her all day?"

Kagome shook her head. "I wasn't planning on it." She muttered. "Look, are you going to kill me anytime soon? If it's all the same to you, I'd like to get it over."

He stared at her. "What the hell are you talking about? Why would I kill you?" His voice was condescending over her stupidity.

"Then why'd you save me, huh? What purpose do you gain from it?" She was confused--she was sure that she was going to die, what youkai liked humans enough to save them?

His eyes narrowed. "It's none of your damn business, girl." He snarled, and grabbed her roughly by the arm, dragging her with him.

"You're too slow." He said, and paused for a moment. "Get on my back." She stared at him, incredulous.

"What?" He must be joking...He shook his head impatiently.

"I said get on my back. We'll get there much faster if you aren't wasting so much time." He crouched down slightly, and she tentatively climbed on, gasping slightly when he grabbed her legs. She clutched his shoulders as he suddenly leapt into the air, going from one tree to another at an incredible speed.

"Hey, you...if you're not going to kill me, can you at least tell me your name?" Kagome clung tighter to the boy and hoped that her request was heard by him.

"Feh. Why should I tell you?" He asked, and paused for a moment on a thick branch of a tree. She rolled her eyes at him, wondering what would happen to her if she tried to get off his back at this point in time.

"If you're not going to get rid of me, and you're not going to kill me, it would be polite to know your name. My name is Kagome."

He looked at her steadily, a smirk gracing his face. "My name is Inuyasha." He said, then picked her up, traveling through the forest again.

They landed in another small village area, and Inuyasha walked quickly to a house that was set apart from all the others, clearly for a higher status…like nobility. Her eyes widened when Inuyasha walked in the front door, and she slowly followed him in, unbelieving that he lived here.

"What?" He snapped. "You surprised that a lowly demon like me can live here? My mother was a hime." He said, going into another room.

Kagome nodded. She wasn't complaining, and for some odd reason he was keeping her here. "Your mother was a human?" She asked. He came back into the main room, staring at her.

"How did you know that my mother was a human?" He demanded. She shrugged. "I didn't think a youkai would live here." She said. "I'm sorry if I assumed wrong." She bowed her head, still wondering what he had planned for her.

He snorted. "Whatever, girl." He left her alone in the middle of the room, and she crumpled on the floor, crying. The stress of her families deaths, her arrival in this strange time, and her being 'sacrificed' to a youkai that took her for some weird reasons of her own-it was all catching up to her. She wrapped her arms around herself and sobbed into the floor.