InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifice ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Well, I know that you all have been waiting for the next chapter of this…*grins* I hope that you enjoy and don't stop reading! I am working on my stories, I do promise you. They just aren't getting posted due to less than usual computer time and inspiration. ^^; Inuyasha is property of Rumiko Takahashi. Japanese words used: Youkai-demonMiko-priestessGomen ne- I'm sorryYukata-a lightweight robe usually made out of cottonSakura-cherry blossomDozo yoroshiku-pleased to met youKonnichi'wa-good afternoonSumimasen-Excuse me SacrificeChapter ThreeBy: Lazulilazulidreamer@yahoo.com Kagome felt even more helpless as Inuyasha took over yet another 'simple' task for her. Was she ever going to survive here? His taunts alone hurt her more than she would admit, but it wasn't as if she had a choice in doing in this way. She was glad that she had enough training to at least make tea and miso soup, but for other things…she simply wasn't prepared for the bare items she had to work with… for cleaning and cooking. Luckily, she knew how to prepare a bath, but Inuyasha had given her strange looks when she said she usually had a bath every night. "That won't happen here." He had said, and left her to herself. He did that a lot, but she couldn't really blame him. Here she was, a useless girl that couldn't even make a decent bowl of rice… the cooking materials she had to use were to primitive for her at first, and she was too impatient. She had brought some microwave able meals, but cooking them over the fire turned out to be a disaster, the box catching fire and Inuyasha avoiding the area for almost a full day, leaving her alone in the house for the first time, scared that he wasn't ever coming back. "Feh. Stupid wench." Inuyasha muttered as he spooned the coarse rice into two bowls, setting one in front of Kagome. She ate her food slowly, head bent over the bowl to hide the tears rising in her eyes. "I know you wish you had Kikyo here instead of me, Inuyasha. She can probably cook and clean and sew…unlike me. I'm sorry that I'm not more useful to you. You got a pretty poor bargain keeping me around. You can still take her, you know. I can… do something. Maybe find training." His eyes glanced at her sharply, her voice muffled through the curtain of hair that hid her face. "Sure you can. No miko is going to train a youkai, though." Her head snapped up at that, and her eyes were incredulous as she took in his serious expression. "I'm not lying, Kagome. They think you're a youkai. If I couldn't tell you were a human by your scent, I would think so too. You're not like a human. You're never sick, even with all the people in the village down. I think they took you for a youkai at that point, if not before. You don't have any training like a human, you're bad mannered and you sure don't act like a proper woman." She knew that he was only telling the truth, but it still hurt. She pushed aside the screen door, grabbing her shoes as she went out the door. She didn't care that Inuyasha was calling for her. She wished that she could be more useful. Maybe if she got lost, Inuyasha would find someone that would actually be useful to him. "Baka…I'm no use to anyone in this time. Why was I brought here?" She muttered, walking slowly away from Inuyasha house. She heard the whisperings of the villagers on all sides of her, and her stomach clenched. So they thought she was a youkai? She turned around and glared at all of the spiteful women, and trudged onward, trying to trip on the frayed hem of her pants. A figure jumping in front oh her stopped her, and she blinked in surprise at the confused face of Inuyasha. "Why are you leaving? Dang it, Kagome, come back…" She turned away from him, tears still in her eyes. "Find someone useful. You said yourself that you never wanted me around. Why are you still keeping me around?" She didn't to admit to him that she liked being around him. He grabbed her shoulders, forcing her to face him. "I never said you were useless. I like having you around, Kagome. Sure, you're strange, but you're not scared of me…you treat me like a real person. Even Kikyo wouldn't do that… she'd have an arrow in me, and I'd be dead somewhere. It was a last ditch effort…I wanted to be purposely killed." Kagome stared at Inuyasha in surprise. The look in his eyes…he looked so lonely. She couldn't believe it. They were both lonely…she put a gentle hand on his shoulder, smiling at him. "I didn't know…I'm glad that you got me. It's not a good thing to throw your life away." Her voice showed some of the sadness in her heart, but she didn't want to reveal too much. She was homesick for her time, but even if she did have the chance to go back, there was a great possibility that she wouldn't be able to see Inuyasha again. She had grown to care for the hanyou a great deal, and didn't want to lose him. She realized how close they were standing to each other, and blushed slightly, pulling away. His face was tinted with a slight blush too, and he smiled at her, grabbing her hand and walking back to the house. He glared at the villagers that were looking at them with wide eyes. "Mind your own business. I don't stare at you when you're with your mate." He didn't see the look on Kagome' face, and walked on further, tugging on Kagome's hand when she didn't move. "C'mon, Kagome. Time for bed…" The absolute insinuation led the villagers scurrying back to their homes while Inuyasha snickered. There was one nosy woman, her beady black eyes seeming to bore holes into Kagome and Inuyasha, who were about to walk into the house. Inuyasha rolled his eyes, whispering into Kagome's ear. "Gomen ne…" Before Kagome knew it, Inuyasha lips covered her own in a quick kiss, leaving her dazed before she finally followed the laughing Inuyasha into the house, his reply drifting back to the old crone. "That'll teach ya to keep your eyes to yourself, you old hag."

Inuyasha immediately turned to Kagome once she was far enough

back in the room, his expression pleading for forgiveness.

"I'm so sorry, Kagome…I didn't think…but…I don't want them talking

about you…"

She shook her head quickly, recovering from her shock of what he

did, and had thought about why he had done it. People would have talked…

and he saved her morals to a credible degree. At least she wasn't some

prostitute to warm his bed…she was seen as his 'mate.' Therefore she

was still going to be outcast for having a hanyou husband, but not so much

as she was before.

"You did it for me, ne?" She smiled softly at him, and nodded slowly

back, feeling slightly stupefied from that gentle smile.

She bent down at began picking up the bowls from their abandoned

meal, bringing the emptied bowls to the tub of water that she had set up

before she attempted cooking. She felt Inuyasha's presence behind her,

and she wondered what he was thinking.

"Kagome…also…about the kiss…" She turned around at the sound

of his nervous voice, wiping her hands on the front of her red pants, her eyes

inquiring.

"I didn't mean to push it on you…I mean…I'm not that type of guy…

even though I'm a hanyou…I'm sorry…" His tirade was cut short by a shake

of her head, and her shy smile.

"I didn't mind, Inuyasha. I kind of liked it…" She quickly turned away

to hide her burning cheeks, and set to scrubbing the bowls and chopsticks

again, then making sure each item was dried carefully, trying to avoid Inuyasha's

gaze as long as possible. He was very silent behind her, and she wondered

what that meant, and what he thought of her comment.

"You know, Kagome. If everyone thinks that you're my mate, we have

to get you some proper clothes. I won't have them saying anything else low

about you."

She turned to him in surprise, wondering what brought the sudden

change on. Was it the kiss, or her admittance to liking it? She had never

asked for new clothing, just silently worn the fraying miko robes without

complaint. He grinned at her, and she smiled back at him. This could work

out after all.

Kagome looked down at the new outfit, smiling. She hadn't worn

a yukata in such a long time. It was a dark green color, the fabric sprinkled

with a white sakura pattern, the obi a cream color. The yukata ended at mid-

thigh, loose pants completing the outfit. It was so comfortable to move around

in, and she was glad that Inuyasha didn't force her to wear anything like the

women in the village wore.

"They are see you as a different person, Kagome. Why change

their minds now?"

She heard a slight tapping at the screened door, and she padded

across the tatami mats to answer the knocking. Inuyasha was asleep in

his room, and she peeked in on him once to see him curled up on his side,

holding his sword like she held her teddy bear back home.

She was met by several of the village women, and she faltered,

taking an unconscious step back at the looks of hostility on their faces.

Some had fear mixed in, and a there were a few that actually looked

concerned and pitying. Kagome wasn't sure which was the worst.

"Konnichi'wa." The seeming leader of the group stepped forward,

and bowed at the waist, the rest mimicking her movement. Kagome bowed

slowly, wondering what this unexpected visit was about.

"We've come to greet Inuyasha-sama's wife, and welcome you. "

Kagome bowed again, and gestured to the inside of the house.

"Come inside, but please, keep quiet. Inuyasha is sleeping." They

nodded, and the small group of six filed into the house, sinking onto the pillows.

"I'm sorry if we seemed hostile. Inuyasha had never indicated that

he had found someone to marry, and we assumed the worst of you.

Sumimasen."

Kagome smiled nervously, not sure how to reply. They all seemed

so different from her, so submissive, almost as if they were scared of her.

"Anou…what is your name?" The leader looked down at the hem

of her yukata, her face slightly pink. Kagome smiled. "Higurashi Kagome.

Dozo Yoroshiku."

"Kurata Midori. Dozo Yoroshiku." Kagome smiled at Midori. They

might be able to be friends. The next words out of her mouth though, made

Kagome tense up in anger.

"Why did you have to be with Inuyasha? He was hardly ever here;

we never had to think too much about a youkai living in our community. Now

he chose a girl that used to be a miko? Where was your training? Why did

you not kill him when you had the chance?"

Kagome bristled, and tears came to her eyes. She wasn't a good

miko. She never had complete training when she was growing up; she had

never planned to take over the shrine. That was going to be for Souta. As

for Inuyasha…why she chose to stay here?

"I…I…" Her admittance was cut off by the sound of a door sliding

open, and Inuyasha walked in the room a few moments later, his eyes

angry as they swept over the village women.

"I see how you think of me now. You forget that I own this land.

My mother left it to me, and the only reason why I have let you stay

here is that you have never been a problem to me. You insult Kagome,

though, and you will leave here. Is that understood?"

His voice was low with his anger, and Kagome shivered at the

darkness in his voice that he had never shown her. Was it because

of her that he was this angry? Would he be so angry if someone threatened

his 'real' mate? She was just his mate in name. In the same he thought he

was denying her a family of her own, she was denying him.

Midori's face pale, and one of the other women squeaked in alarm

as Inuyasha flexed his claws, his gaze intent on them. "Leave my home, now."

He muttered, and the girls lost no time in scurrying out of the house.

Inuyasha turned to Kagome once everyone was gone, and put

one hand to her face. "Are you all right, Kagome?" His voice was soft,

and she marveled at the change from before.

She nodded slowly, happy that he was so concerned over her.

His hand gently stroked her cheek, and she could feel her cheeks heat

up at the contact, but she didn't pull away, instead wishing she had the

bravery to lean further into his caress.

"Kagome…I…" She shook her head, leaning against his chest,

not knowing why she was doing it, but she knew it was the right choice

when his arms wrapped around her. She felt safe and protected. Her eyes met

his, and she tilted his face up when his lips met hers. He pulled away after a

second, and she smiled at him.

"Kagome…I'm sorry…again…those harpies out there wouldn't

let up, would they? I wish I came out sooner…why didn't you *tell* me?

Were they the same ones that made fun of you before?"

Kagome nodded slowly, her face turned away. "They didn't say

much, Inuyasha. I don't blame them. I mean…they are only scared, aren't

they?"

Inuyasha looked at her in amazement as she continued. "I

mean…they are only concerned over their families. They want them

to be okay…not die…" Her voice broke as her tears fell, and she let

them silently wrack her body as Inuyasha put his arms around her.

She sobbed into the folds of his robe, finally letting her grief and

loneliness wash out of her.