InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices of the Heart ❯ Enter the Players: Part One ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

All Normal Disclaimers Apply

Title: Sacrifices of the Heart
Author: Scottishfae
Rating: M
Warnings: A/U, sexual themes

Summary: A struggle for power within their home village leaves Kikyo and Kagome competing for the position of high priestess of the powerful local shrine. However, when war approaches and the only way to protect themselves is through a pact with a local demon tribe, which woman will step up to become the mate of the tribe's leader.
 
Sorry for the delay in this chapter. It took quite a while to get it near decent and I'm still not satisfied with it. However, it did end up being 19 pages, so hopefully that is a nice consolation prize.
 
I'll have the 2nd part of the chapter out soon. I have a new idea for a Naruto fic that I'm going to be alternating writing with this one (along with homework for my classes that start back next Wednesday).
 
Enjoy and don't forget to review!
 
******************
 
Chapter One: Enter the Players: Part One
 
Kaede walked slowly down the polished wood floors of the temple. Her graying hair was held tightly in a low ponytail that hung down the length of her back. Her clothes were the simple red and white of a priestess.
 
The aging High Priestess had called a meeting with council of elders and was now slowly making her way to the meeting grounds.
 
It had come to Kaede's attention recently that her age was catching up with her. In a rather stupid accident while fighting off an attacking demon, she had been injured. Her eyesight in one of her eyes was now gone, as the eye was ruined from the claws and poison of the beast, and she was forced to wear an eye patch. It had taken her several weeks of training to adjust her skills to having just one eye and even still she had the occasional problem of misjudging distances.
 
With these things heavy on her mind, Kaede had finally made the decision to call for the selection of possible successors to her duties at the temple. It wasn't an easy task, giving up the running of such an important monument to the village. The position as head of the temple was one of great power and responsibility and Kaede feared that bringing in an outsider could lead to the temple's ruin and corruption.
 
It was really the Boushi family Kaede was worried about. The ever power hungry family had been looking to topple the temple's power for decades, but the importance of the shrine held strong. Now it was up to the elderly woman to keep that power safely in the hands of someone who would do what was best for the whole, and not what was best for just the rich.
 
The High Priestess took her time going to the meeting of the elders, knowing they would wait for her no matter how long she took. She had decided already that the people best suited for the spot would be those from the area. Those that understood what was going on, and those she could easily read for the proper qualities.
 
Reaching the temple's gate she paused to look off to her right. In the distance she could see the older children, teens and adults working diligently in the many fields the temple owned.
 
By itself the temple could easily sustain itself and half of the city's population with its harvests and livestock. In fact, when the temple was first built and the village much smaller, the bounty of the sacred lands had sustained everyone.
 
Now the children sent to live at the temple were employed to help the resident monks keep up the land. The bounty would later be divided up. Some would be stored for winter or times of drought, and the rest would be divided between what was needed to feed the people at the temple and the needy families of Kokufu, many of which had family working to harvest the fields anyway.
 
It was a good system and benefited all that were involved.
 
“I remember when this temple was still ran by Houshi-sama. Such a wise and generous man he was. That woman—high priestess or not—has nothing on him,” an elderly man's voice cracked through the air.
 
“Father please,” a woman's voice followed.
 
Kaede walked out of the gate and turned to face the elderly man who had been praising the founder of the temple. He was hunched over, and dressed in ragged clothing. Signs of balding were evident even with his hair still kept long and tied at the base of his skull. A long goatee came to a pointed end on the chin of the malnutritioned face.
 
A younger woman, probably the daughter of the older man, stood next to him. They were both dressed similarly in weathered clothing. Holding the woman's hand was a young boy and behind them, a young woman silently followed.
 
The family all held expressive eyes that, even within the old man, mesmerized those that looked into them. The woman held remnants of beauty within her work hardened frame and she had passed on that beauty to her daughter.
 
The young woman stood behind her family. She had blue-black hair that shimmered in the sun, unlike her younger sibling and mother who both had fine brown hair. Even with the obvious signs of poverty the girl had still maintained relatively pale skin and beautiful white teeth. From her eyes to her vibrant smile, the girl radiated friendliness. There was no doubt that this girl could get along with or befriend anyone.
From this young woman Kaede easily sensed a strong and pure spiritual power. Even with the obvious signs of poverty and a very rough life, she shone with an innocence and kindness that was hard to find.
 
Ignoring the old man who had insulted her earlier, and the horrified look of his daughter, Kaede greeted the family. “Good evening to ye.”
 
“Good evening Kaede-sama. Please excuse my father. He...”
 
“Excuse me? Why would you excuse me?” The older man quickly found his mouth covered by his daughter's hands, who was looking nervous and apologetic to the High Priestess.
 
Kaede in turn just chuckled and waved; trying to assure that there was no need to worry.
 
“Child.” Kaede turned to face Kagome. Her head snapped back to focus on the woman addressing her. “We would be honoured if ye came to work in the temple.”
 
Kagome's eyes dulled but she nodded. Her mother's head lowered and a somber mood fell on the small family. It seemed that the family had already been discussing sending the young woman off.
 
Kaede walked up to the girl. Her short stature mixed with her aging hunched posture put her below Kagome's height. She lifted a hand to the younger's cheek and patted it gently. “Come to the temple in two days time.”
 
“Two days? But I-I thought I could join anytime.” Kagome asked.
 
Kaede smiled a knowing smile. “Two days.”
 
Kagome just nodded, mystified at what was going on. The High Priestess nodded to the rest of the family and turned to begin her trek again. She stopped after a few steps and turned back. “Your name child?”
 
“Higurashi Kagome.”
 
Kaede nodded and set off again.
 
………………………&# 8230;……………
 
“This is absurd, having to wait for this hag to show up. Her age is making her dangerous to the good of this village and the good of the temple. We should ask for her resignation immediately,” Akogi preached standing before the elders and other leaders of Kokufu.
 
“Because you always have the good of the temple and village in mind Boushi-sama?” One of the lesser members mumbled.
 
Akogi turned to glare at the young man. The intensity of the narrowed gaze had him turning from the angry Boushi.
 
“You may have forgotten but it was /my/ family who made this village what it is today.”
 
“How can one forget when he reminds us every meeting,” another member mumbled, this time quietly enough so that Akogi didn't overhear.
 
“Akogi-san, please calm down and return to your seat. We know that your family has done a lot for Kokufu, and continues to do so, but if I recall, it was the temple and Houshi-sama that saved this village from its poverty. Without Houshi-sama, the Boushi family would not have even had the opportunity to become as great as it is today.
 
“We will not undermine the temple or Kaede-sama's power by asking something so absurd as her resignation,” One of the elders declared.
 
The elder's still held the power over the rest of the council and Akogi had no choice but to agree. He gave a curt nod and returned to his seat.
 
The doors to the meeting room opened moments later and Kaede walked in. The group stood and bowed to her. She waved them off for the formality she had never felt suited her and walked up to the position Akogi had just moments ago occupied.
 
“Kaede-sama,” one of the elders began to address but was interrupted by the High Priestess.
 
“Boushi-san is correct,” a series of gasps floated through the room. “My age has come to a point where there is a need for my replacement.”
 
A roar of protests and comments overtook the crowd making Kaede pause in her speech. She took note of Akogi's pleased smirk.
 
“Normally the replacement would come from a higher temple,” she began once the murmuring had dulled some. “After much deliberation, however, I have decided that instead of sending off for someone who doesn't understand the temple and its unique relationship with the village, I will pick a local to train for the position of temple leader.”
 
Another round of murmuring broke through the crowd forcing a pause once again.
 
“Kaede-sama, are you sure this is wise?” An elder spoke up.
 
Similar protests and question followed suit. The elder woman patiently waited for the talking to come to a stop.
 
“My decision has been made. Let it be known that in two days times anyone who would like to be eligible to train for the position may come to the temple. From those who come, I will select those with an impressive spiritual power, along with other important qualities to begin the training.”
 
Finishing her announcement she looked around for questions. The crowd was silent for the first time since she had begun.
 
“Anyone is eligible if they are from the region?” Akogi asked.
 
“Aye, anyone.” She replied steadily.
 
Kaede knew of Akogi's only daughter and her high spiritual ability. However, it wasn't only spiritual powers that would determine the next successor. “Anything else?” She asked.
 
Silence answered her once again and she began her trek out of the room back to the temple.
 
………………………&# 8230;………
 
The western region of Eiga, where Kokufu was located, was one that had very few human outcroppings. 
The Taiyoukai of the region wasn't very tolerant of humans and made no move to prevent his fellow demons attacking the villages.
Several demon slayer villages had sprung up in response to the demand for protection and temples were built to ward demons off from nearby lands.
However, not all demons in the area were quick to attack humans.  One tribe, located at the halfway point between Kokufu and the Western Palace, was a warrior tribe that kept the demon's of the area in line according to the Taiyoukai's ruling and kept unwanted demons out of the Western territory.
The infamous band of demons was more like a troop of soldiers of the Taiyoukai's, but the leader of the tribe was hardheaded and didn't want to be enslaved directly under the Taiyoukai's rule.  However, he was bound to the Western Land by blood and so would protect it no matter what.  The Taiyoukai allowed this “tribe” to exist because of his relationship with its leader.
The leader was a half-demon of the same paternal blood as the Taiyoukai himself. The Inu youkai Lord felt that his half-brother was below him in every way, however, the blood relation and a powerful sense of duty, kept the elder, full demon from slaughtering the “pest”.
........................................
Near the border of the Southern region, a lone monk crossed into the Western lands.  He made good speed on an ox-driven cart that held a multitude of treasures.  The monk had not wanted to come to the Western region because of the high chances of attack, however, seeing as all his current possessions had recently belonged to a rich, lord-like merchant living near the border, he had to quickly escape before the merchant discovered what was missing.
The monk, a dark haired youth with purple eyes, had been born into the priest caste.  His actions as a thief, lecher, and drunkard did nothing to reflect his sacred position, though at times he did reflect a certain moral insight.
The monk traveled all around Eiga, and into other countries when needed, under the guise of purifying and blessing homes, fields, and other various objects. Most often the “ominous cloud” that loomed over the monk's patrons was completely created by the dark-haired youth. This worked out to his advantage, obviously, and he had become rather rich by stashing his acquired goods all around the country.
He was now off to store his newest acquisitions up in the Northern lands with his youkai ally Hodgi. Again, the Western lands weren't a place he would have normally gone, especially carrying his sole form of income, and the proof stood with the demon's he already felt rapidly approaching.
The ox too seemed to be sensing danger and began to speed up.  His speed, combined with its skittish movements of the scared animal, jostled around the monk and the cart's contents.  The stolen treasures began to fall out of the cart.
“Hey you wretched beast stop it,” he yelled while trying to rein in the ox. 
As the demons neared the ox's thrashing became more panicked as it tried to throw off the cart.  The cart remained fast on the yoke, however, the monk did not.  A quick turn and a surfaced root had the cart in the air.  When it came down the monk fell to the ground watching as both ox and cart made quickly into the woods nearby.
“My staff,” he sighed realizing one of his only truly precious possessions was still on the cart.
Standing up with only slight pain from falling so unceremoniously, he dusted himself off and quickly began chasing after the ox.  It wasn't until he got a few feet into the woods that he realized what a mistake it had been. 
The canopy was thick and let very little light through.  The dense forest was home to youkai plants as well, and not only were these a problem if one wandered to near but they also messed up his own senses.
A few of his stolen goods were littering the path and he quickly began to follow them.  However, he did not get far before he began to be attacked. 
The monk cursed himself for not picking up on the silence of the woods sooner. The predators had easily lured him into the area knowing he would be even more helpless. However, they didn't judge him to be so agile and for many minutes, the monk was able to dodge the attacks from the various youkai that sprang out at him.
For the second time that day a surfaced tree root became the monk's worst enemy as he flipped backwards and lost his footing. The demons took this for their advantage and a few moments later a swift kick to his ribs had him thrown backwards until he connected with a rather firm tree.
The monk looked up, blood leaking from the corners of his mouth while he tried to catch his breath. The youkai were circling him, the biggest of the group coming up to finish off their prey.
It was a centipede demon that made the next move. She wormed herself around the large tree, capturing both tree and monk in a crushing embrace.
“You may not look like much but your spiritual powers as a monk will make you a delicious morsel,” the female youkai entrapping him hissed.
“I can assure you madam, that I would taste awful.  In fact, I'm often told by various women that I'm `too bitter,'” he said mockingly wheezed. 
The demon laughed.
“Hentai!”  Came a scream from the monk's right, quickly followed by a large bone weapon.
In order to protect itself the youkai was forced to release the monk.  Said man went falling down to the ground and hit with a loud smack. He groaned as he leaned back against the tree trying not to think about the large bruise that would be marring his butt for the next few days. 
Several oddly dressed humans jumped out from the tree coverage.  The weapon that had been thrown returned to its owner, the only woman in the group.  She was tall with her dark brown hair held up in a high ponytail.  The monk's lecherous eyes were drawn to the tight, black and pink outfits she wore.  The men of the group wore things similar.
A young boy jumped down from the canopy; weapon in hand, to guard the fallen monk.
The monk, for his part, did nothing but watch as the group easily defeated all three demons.  Once the battle was over and any lesser demons distinguished, attention returned to the monk.  The boy was the first one to address him. 
The boy was about nine or ten years of age and his dark hair kept in a short ponytail on the top of head.  His outfit was green and black.   “Hey houshi-sama, are you okay?” 
The monk smiled and nodded he was fine.  He finally picked himself off the ground and patiently dusted himself off.  The boy's attention had not left him.  “Hey, what did you mean back there?  What did your comment to the madam centipede mean?” 
The monk turned and repressed a smirk.  He opened his mouth to reply but the voice from before interrupted him.  “Kohaku!”  The woman said coming over to the two.  “Don't pay any attention to this perverted old man.”
The monk felt his eyebrow twitch at the old “old man” comment.  He was barely in his twenties, and looked ever younger. There was certainly nothing “old” about him.
“But Sango, I want to know,” the boy Kohaku whined to the woman.  She interrupted him.  “No!”
The monk decided to make his move.  “My lovely lady, you have saved my life.  What can I do to repay you?” 
He approached her and as he got closer Sango's face darkened.  “You can get your hand off my ass,” she all but growled.
The monk jumped back and laughed.  “I apologize.  My hand is cursed and tends to do such in appropriate things to beautiful young women all on its own.”  He held up a hand that was covered in a cloth wrist binding and prayer beads wrapped around the hand and arm.
Sango wasn't convinced and stalked off towards the other members of the group.  “Let's go Kohaku.”
He nodded but didn't budge.  He was fascinated with the man before him that had been able to bring the slightest of blushes to his normally cool demeanored sister's cheeks.  “Is your hand really cursed?” 
The monk gave a cheeky smile and winked.  Kohaku couldn't' help but laugh.  “My name is Kohaku.  That's my sister Sango.  We're both members of one of the local demon slayer clans.”
“I am Miroku, just a humble and devoted, traveling monk.”  A snort from Sango indicated that not only was she listening but that she didn't believe him.
“Are you going to Kokufu to train to be the head temple monk?  They announced yesterday that anyone within the region could try for it.”
Miroku paused.  He had heard of Kokufu.  It was a rather rich place, meaning there would be people to swindle and teahouses to occupy.  “Yes, I believe that is where I am going.” 
Kohaku looked at him strangely for both the momentary pause and the lecherous grin he had plastered on his face.
“Hey monk,” Sango cried out from near a cluster of trees.  “Is that yours?”
Miroku walked over to see his golden staff leaning against a tree.  “My staff!”  He stepped through the bush to grab it. 
“Fox Fire!”  A weak, blue flame of youkai aura came streaming at him.  Moments later he watched as a small demon ran off with Miroku's staff.
“It's only a baby fox, probably attracted to the shiny quality of the gold,” Kohaku explained.  “The fox youkai in this area are very kind and helpful.  We don't hunt them because they don't hurt humans and keep to themselves.”
Miroku turned to the two demon slayers.  “I thank you again for saving my life.  I hope that I can see you again in the near future.”
Sango crossed her arms and looked away.  “Not likely pervert.” 
Kohaku answered at the same time.  “I hope so!  Good luck Miroku-sama.” 
The monk quirked a smile and ruffled the boy's hair.  “Be good kid.”
With that said, Miroku turned and took off after the rapidly disappearing fox.
………………………&# 8230;….
Akogi swept quickly into the main home of his house.  The giant estate had grown more into a palace over the decades. 
Along with the main house there were at least ten other buildings for various uses, a sizable courtyard and several gardens.  All of these were tiered on a hillside enclosed with a large protective, wooden wall. 
Lower in the valley of the hill were the pasturelands where the Boushi family raised their sheep.  Small huts scattered the vast pastures where the sheepherders lived. 
The herders were just a proportion of the Boushi's family large servant stock.  From everything to scullery maids to master weavers could be found bound to the family. 
It was a strict rule within the family that once you became a servant, you and any family that came to live on the estate would forever be servants of the Boushi's or face death. 
This was done to protect the secrets of the wool.  However, even with having to deal with the Boushi's superiority complex and snootiness, they still treated the servants well.  They were given plenty of food, decent homes and clothes, and enough spare money to live a comfortable life.  This was a lot more than some of the poorer in Kokufu could say. 
These conditions made for very loyal servants.
“Good evening sir,” and elderly servant greeted, bowed low for his master.  Three more servants were behind him on their knees and bowed over to the floor.
“Evening Jiji,” Akogi said to his head servant. 
The man, simply known as Jiji by everyone, had been with the Boushi family sense birth.  He had been a playmate of Akogi's father and had watched over all the family as a servant since then. 
“How did the meeting go?”  Jiji asked as the lesser servants from behind him rushed to help their master get out of his outdoor clothing. 
Akogi smiled at the old man.  “Where is my daughter?  It's time I had a nice father-daughter talk with Kikyo.”
“She is in the west wing sitting room with the Mistress,” Jiji answered after a moment.
Akogi usually dealt little with Kikyo and addressed her as his daughter almost never.
“Good, good, let's go.  I have wonderful news to share with them.”
Akogi stepped up on the raised wooden platform.  The floor was slightly cool to his bare feet but he was too rushed to bother with his finely made slippers.
“Good news sir?”
“Yes, finally a way to out power the temple!”  Akogi announced jovially. 
He clapped Jiji on his back and pulled him along to walk by his side.  The lesser servants walked several steps behind.  All three young women worried about what they had just heard. 
Though the Boushi's usually didn't hire servants that had grown up at the temple, Akogi's lust for young women had allowed for the exception when he began the search for new chambermaids. 
As the group neared the west wing, Jiji noticed the servants' unusual attentiveness.  Once Akogi entered the sitting room, Jiji turned to dismiss the three.  “Go now and do not linger around this area,” he warned and slid the door shut.
The three girls moved down the hall quickly, however, the youngest of the three held back at the corner and steadily made her way back.
“How did the meeting go?  Akogi's wife Hebi asked.
“Quite well.  That old hag has announced her retirement.”
“Really?  That's wonderful dear!  Maybe the next leader will be easily corrupted,” Hebi said in a bored tone.
“No one Kaede will choose will be swayed easily,” Hebi's only daughter Kikyo commented in a flat tone.
The young woman was known for her beauty.  She had pale, ivory skin set against pitch-black hair. When compared to her family, Kikyo looked nothing like them.  Even her cold expression, mostly seen through her eyes, that gave her an aura of being untouchable and distance, was something she alone in her family held.
This untouchable quality, however, made many of the men finds her alluring and exotic and from princes to just ordinary men, many lusted and yearned to acquire her.  Akogi knew the power the beauty held for him though, and turned down all offers of marriage given for his daughter.
Akogi smiled at Kikyo.  “Kaede-baba isn't sending for a replacement.  Instead she has decreed that she will pick a local to train for the position.” 
This got both women's attention.  “Then corruption will be easy.” 
Kikyo figured out what Akogi was up to while her mother was still in the dark.  She held no grudge against the high priestess, who had been kind to her since childhood.  Kaede had once told her about her high spiritual powers and thus her ability to become a great priestess if she trained.  It was with this knowledge that she knew what he was telling her to do.
“So you want me to go and train for the position,” Kikyo stated.
Akogi's smile widened at her sharpness. 
“No!”  Hebi shouted.  She stood up and looked at her husband.  “I will not give up my only daughter to become your power tool.  How do you even know she'll be chosen?” 
“Kikyo has great spiritual abilities, that hag even complimented her on it once.  She has no chance of losing.”
“But,”
“If it doesn't look like she will be chosen, we'll simply use /him/ to get rid of the hag and sway the other monks and council to instate Kikyo.”
“I won't allow this!”  Hebi turned to her daughter.  “Tell him no Kikyo.  Tell him you don't wish to do this!”  Her voice began to rise in panic.
Kikyo's expression didn't change as she met her mother's eyes.  “I will do it.”
Hebi sputtered and looked between her husband and daughter. During their many years of marriage, Hebi and Akogi had had many children together. However, almost none of the children had actually survived into early childhood.
After several miscarriages, then several more deaths after childbirth, Akogi began to attribute the deaths to the mother. So when the next child, a son, was born, Akogi immediately had him removed from his mother and placed in the care of a nanny.
To this day Hebi did not see her son but on occasion, even though he was now in his twenties.
The next time Hebi was announced to be with child the whole atmosphere of the estate changed. Akogi would watch his wife carefully with calculating eyes and during her later months the woman almost went crazy with fear that her child would be taken from her again.
When the birth finally came and a girl was produced, Akogi allowed the child to stay with her mother. The atmosphere of the estate didn't change, however, and the way Akogi distanced himself from both mother and child made many wonder if the girl was even his own.
Now the idea that Hebi's precious daughter was about to be taken from her had her withdrawing in fear. Jiji stepped closer to his mistress making sure her sanity didn't snap once more.
She sat down trying to grasp something about the situation. After a second she grasped anger and stood again. 
She turned and stormed out of the room. Hebi threw the door open, starling the girl squatting right beyond the sliding door.  The startled gasp caught everyone's attention.
“Akogi one of your little whores is eavesdropping out here.” 
The angry man stormed out to stand by his wife.  His face was red and his large frame stalked towards the quivering girl.  “Damn bitch.  I take you in, give you a job and you betray me by spying!”  Akogi grabbed the girl by her hair and dragged her in the room.
Kikyo looked briefly at the girl before turning away.  The girl had sealed her fate the moment she decided to spy. Any punishment given to her was deserved, at least by the laws of the contract of servitude one had to sign to come and work at the Boushi estate. This mindset did not keep the young woman from tensing up at the screams of pain that came from the young servant girl. 
Jiji's expression had turned hard as he watched his master beat the young girl. The staff of the Boushi family was something that was under his realm of jurisdiction. He greatly wanted to deal with this in a way he saw fit and now Jiji just awaited his master's orders to take the chambermaid to see /him/. 
“Jiji,” Akogi spoke as if on cue.  “Take her to the house at the top of the mountain.”
He nodded and turned to leave the room.  The girl took off after him, clinging to his robes.  “I warned you girl.”
“But Jiji-san, he wants to destroy the temple.  He doesn't understand it helps so many,” She spoke with difficulty as her face began to swell from the abuse moments before.
“So does the Boushi family.  Who took you in after you left your beloved temple?  The Boushi family has been here longer that that temple and will be here even after.” The angry man countered with venom in his voice.
He swept through the house quickly, the girl struggling to follow him. His anger was evident and the servants they passed quickly leapt out of his path to hide in nearby rooms. They peaked out and shook their heads in pity at the girl who was hobbling behind him. 
Jiji stepped into his shoes at the backmost door of the East Wing. Taking a lantern from one of the stable workers, he quickly made his way up the mountain, pausing only to make sure the girl was following.
The lantern was small and only bright enough to lighten a small area around its carrier. For someone who didn't know where they were going, this journey would be deadly. For someone who did, they would run in fear. The only thing that lay ahead was a long, drawn out death. 
The young woman seemed to sense this and was shaking with fear. 
As they reached the top she could feel her hair standing on end.  Any movement except forward seemed to be invisibly restricted for the girl.
“I see you have brought me a new treat,” a sensuous voice broke through the night. 
Jiji didn't stop walking and soon the soft glow of a small, yet very exquisite looking house came into view.  The young servant gasped at the site of such an expensive home hidden up on the top of a hill. 
A man sat lounging on the raised wooden porch that had only a few lanterns lit around its age.  He was on his side facing them with his head propped on his hand.  He was dressed in fine clothes that could rival any of the Boushi's fine clothing.  The man was very attractive with his ivory skin, extremely long, black, wavy hair but it was his eyes that caught the girl's attention.
“Meet your new master girl.  You will do whatever he wants and he, in turn, will do to you whatever he pleases,” Jiji said, his voice cold.
The man's red eyes lit up in perverse pleasure.  He laughed deeply. 
The girl was frozen staring into the evil eyes.  Her whole body seemed to be paralyzed even while her mind screamed for her to run from the evil aura that emanated from the man.  Silent tears ran down her unblinking face.
Jiji nodded to the man and half turned.  “Naraku-sama, Boushi-sama wishes to speak to you by the end of the week.”
Naraku took his eyes off his newest prey long enough to nod at the elderly man.  “Very well.  Tell him I will require my usual payment,” his deep voice echoed. 
Jiji nodded and began his trek back down the mountain.
………………………&# 8230;……..
Night was quickly falling in the Western lands and the monk was hastily trying to retrieve his staff from the now exhausted kitsune.
Miroku was less than silently following the fox as he cursed under his breath.  After another several yards the kitsune finally collapsed and the golden staff fell to the forest floor. 
Approaching the fallen fox, Miroku observed the small body.  It was dressed in the colours of the forest with only its bright red hair and to set it apart from its surroundings.  It was definitely still a child, even for a demon and he noticed how the kit had some weird scarring on its body.
Reaching down, he grabbed his staff and lifted it from the ground.  He looked down the kit as he struggled to breath. 
As soon as he turned to leave he found a kitsune attached and biting down on his head.  “You can't have it back!  I need it to avenge my parent's death!”  The kitsune howled.
Miroku stopped as he began to digest what the kit had just yelled.  “Avenge your parents?”  The words came out choked. 
The monk reached up and unattached the kit from his head.  Tears were running down the small face as he buried himself into the monk's long robes.  Miroku set his staff against a tree and rubbed the fox's back trying to soothe him.
“What's your name kit?” He said in a hushed tone.
“Shippo,” came the muffled reply.  Miroku sighed.  He may be many different kinds of immoral but a child in pain was definitely a weak spot.  If what the kit had declared was true, then the circumstances of why the child was stealing his belongings hit a little too close to home.
“Shippo, what happened to your parents?” 
The crying was renewed and his grasp became even tighter.  Miroku could feel the small claws digging through the fabric to pinch at his skin. 
The monk sighed.  Picking up his staff again, he began to make his way back to the path he had left earlier.
He needed to find shelter for both of them soon before the nocturnal youkai started coming out.  He would have a lot of trouble defending both of them when his sight was so impaired.
He picked up his pace as he noticed the signature of predator's auras.  An ominous boom alerted him to upcoming danger.  “Shippo, I need you to hold on tight, okay?” 
The kitsune obeyed by scrambling up to attach himself to the monk's shoulder.  Miroku used this to change his position so that both hands could grasp his staff in a defensive position in front of him.
He allowed his aura to sweep out to detect the approaching youkai.  As his aura stretched onward, he noticed that there were a lot more youkai than he originally thought. 
`Damn, I don't think I can fight all of them off in such little light.'  Miroku thought to himself.  He looked over to the kitsune on his shoulder who was slightly shaking as he too began to search the area with his youkai abilities.
“It's them!”  He shouted all of the sudden. 
Miroku jumped out of the way of a flashing blade that came from behind.  Two demons floated above them.  The attack had cleared the areas of its trees and now left Miroku in the complete open.  “T-those two guys…they killed my parents.”  Shippo whispered hiding his head in Miroku's robes again.
“W-well, if it isn't the little brat.  Tried to run away, did you?”  One of the demons, and the most human looking of the two, called out.  “I am Hiten of the Thunder Clan.  My brother and I are here to collect that fox.” 
Miroku snorted and allowed the area to crack with his own spiritual energy.  “Not likely.” 
“Then you will die human.”  The braided brother cried out.  His spear-like weapon was raised in the air and he moved to attack.  Two small wheels around his feet looked to give him his ability to fly.
When Hiten charged, Miroku aimed for the wheels to throw him off.  His staff easily broke one throwing the demon off balance and to the ground.  However, the momentum of the attack threw the fox off Miroku's shoulder and unguarded on the ground. 
“Maten, get him!”  Hiten yelled picking up weapon and readying himself for a ground attack. 
The beast-like youkai moved on his floating cloud to grab the fallen kitsune.  “Shippo!”  Miroku called out as he ran to try and save the kitsune.  He watched in horror as the youkai reached down to grab him.
“Iron Reaver, Soul Stealer!”  A voice echoed throughout the forest.  Seconds later what had been Maten was nothing but a cloud of ashes.
A silver-haired man in a red outfit landed on the ground before the shivering fox.  He had piercing golden eyes and a smirk on his face as he stared at the other Thunder Brother.  “Well, well, well, if it isn't the Thunder Brothers.  Or should I say Thunder Brother.”
Hiten stared in shock at where his brother had just once been.  “I told you before to stop acting like an idiot.”  The dog-eared man said.
Miroku had stopped a few feet in front of the red-clad man after the attack.  His eyes darted to the ground where Shippo was cowering behind the half-demon's bare feet.
“Tell me one good reason I shouldn't kill you.” The half-demon growled popping his knuckles ominously.
Hiten's eyes narrowed at the threat.  “A half-demon, kill me?  I will avenge my brother's death!
Hiten ran towards the man in front of him, weapon ready. The half-demon just smirked and at the last second drew an enormous sword from a beaten scabbard he kept at his side. Hiten was almost immediately disarmed and thrown back.
The half-demon sheathed his sword and looked at the other demon. “Cocky ass hole. Don't think you're so strong that you can beat me. I bet you couldn't even beat this human, if it were light out.”
The monk felt slightly insulted.
“Get out of here.” The half-demon growled.
Hiten quickly obeyed and left into the woods. The dog-eared man looked to his left and made a small nod. A swift breeze swept through the clearing moments later.
During the fight Miroku had gone and gathered Shippo off of the ground. Now they both stood looking at the man in front of them. 
“Why do you have the kit?”  The half-demon asked.
“He stole my staff earlier.  His parents are dead and so I was taking him somewhere safe.” 
“Safe?  He's a demon, anywhere you go monk, isn't going to be safe for him.  Leave him in the forest, he'll survive and if he doesn't it means he was weak and deserved to die anyway,” the man spoke harshly.
Shippo cried out and attached himself to Miroku fearing that the monk would abide by the demon's advice.
“You say this, but you still saved both of us.  Your actions don't reflect your words.”  Miroku stated.
The man snorted.  “I wasn't helping you.  Those two guys had been warned countless times to stop acting like they were powerful.  You two just got lucky.”
Miroku could feel the arrogance coming off the half-demon in front of him and decided not to push his luck.  “Just tell me where we can find some shelter for the night.  I refuse to leave Shippo here.” 
The half-demon narrowed his eyes for second as if trying to read through the soul of the monk.  After a moment he nodded and made a hand motion that Miroku didn't understand. 
At the motion, several demons dropped down from the trees at the outside of the new clearing.  They were various types of demons, though the majority were inu youkai, like the half-demon himself. 
“Names Inuyasha.  I'm the leader of this bunch.  We have a camp near here you can stay for the night.” 
Miroku nodded and thanked the half-demon.  “I am Miroku and this is Shippo.”
“Yeah, I know the kit.  I know all the demons in this region.”  Inuyasha said motioning for them to follow.  The demons that had just entered the clearing left in a blink of the eye.
Miroku followed the demon back into the forest.  “Where you headed to?” 
“Kokufu.”  Miroku nodded noticing that the exhausted kitsune was quickly falling asleep in his arms.
“Kokufu huh?  Looking to be the head temple monk?”  Inuyasha asked, his arms now in his sleeves.  Miroku didn't reply.
“Kokufu is back that way.” The half-demon pointed westwards. “Along with my tribe's village and land.”
“Why aren't you there now?”
“We're headed to the Western Palace, which is that way.” He pointed towards the East. “Smack dab in the middle of the Western lands.” 
“The Western Palace?  I hear the Taiyoukai of this region is quite the fearsome demon.”
Inuyasha snorted.  “Yeah, he's one hell of a bastard, if you ask me.”
“If you think so little of him, why are you going to see him?”  Miroku asked. 
“He's my half-brother,” Inuyasha mumbled. 
The monk's eyes widened.  `Half-brothers?  That means he is a member of the ruling family of the Western Lands?'
“Don't make a big deal about it,” Inuyasha grunted, easily following the thought path the monk had taken.  “I live by my own rules while protecting the land I was born to.  Not a big deal.”
Miroku nodded and noticed they were exiting out of the forest and into an open area next to a river.  There several youkai were preparing for the night.
“There are a lot of you,” Miroku commented. 
“This ain't nothing, most of us didn't come on this trip,” Inuyasha stated and motioned for them to follow him deeper into the makeshift camp.
Miroku followed carrying the slumbering Shippo.
.............................................
Don't forget to review for me! Thanks
 
~fae