InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Same Thing, Different Time ❯ Should Have Stayed With You ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Same as any of the other chapters. Don't own any part. Not looking to gain anything.

The 'bold, Italic' print words are what people are saying silently to themselves in. The Italic print words are stressing that particular word in the sentence.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -

Same Thing, Different Time

by: aishiteru_inu

Part 9: Should Have Stayed With You

"Damn, stupid girl! Stupid, damn girl," InuYasha grumbled as he gritted his teeth. "I didn't ask you to come and wait," Once again he found himself mimicking words she said to him in a higher toned voice, and then in his own, "Feh! As if I need to ask her to do anything!"

The wind blew across his body as he jumped from one building over to the other. His landings were made with a silent grace that no mere human could ever think to possess.

He peered over the edge and watched as the dark head of one particular person walked through the mill of people. He watched as they moved their head from side to side, every now and again as they continued their way through the bustle of the city.

InuYasha moved down the length of the roof until he got to the end. She went on past.

"Damn girl," he grumbled again and took another leap to land upon the next building. This was such a nuisance!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Kagome felt a warm burning sensation as if she was being watched every since she crossed over into the city district. She glanced around her from time to time, but didn't see anyone in particular staring or following her. She even glanced up to skim the skyline, but there wasn't anything there either. Not even a sign of that InuYasha.

Eventually, Kagome made a turn, which took her out of the main part of the city. It was a bit more quieter, a bit more relaxed, and it made her a lot more conscious that she was alone.

She had gone nearly two blocks when a car passed by, but not before the windows had been rolled down and shouts and whistles directed toward her were heard.

Red faced, Kagome just ignored the ruckus they were making and continued walking.

"Perverts." she murmured uncomfortably at their crudeness, just a moment before she heard the sharp screech of breaks and a door opening.

"Hey, pretty baby, wanna ride?"

Turning her head, she glanced over her shoulder, and saw that the passenger of the vehicle had gotten out and was leaning over the roof. The dark gray vest he sported over a once white tee-shirt and the head band was indication enough that he belonged to that new gang, 'the Wolves', but known more as the 'Wolf Pack'.

Yes, this was her lucky day! The thought crossed her mind regretfully.

"N-No thanks." she replied nervously, not stopping her stride.

"Awww, come on, baby, don't be like that. Hey," he shouted as she ignored him and just kept walking.

"Hey," she heard him again. "What? Think you're too good to be with us?"

There was the sound of another door opening and then the shuffle of footsteps. Without looking back, Kagome hastened her stride, but the footsteps behind her did the same. A wave of apprehension coursed through her and she picked up her gait. When she heard the pats of their feet coming closer, she took off at a full run with those very same words echoing in her head. 'Run. Run!'

As fast as she could, her feet carried her down the path of the walkway, but her backpack was slowing her down and she could hear the footsteps getting nearer. Back in the distance, she hear the whine of the vehicle as it started to back itself toward them on the street.

Kagome gave a anxious glance over her shoulder, and to her horror they were almost on her, three of them. Her hands worked frantically to get the straps to slide off her shoulders, knowing that if she could just get rid of the weight she would be able to go that much faster.

She was still struggling with the cumbersome thing when a forceful jerk violently took her back a step. One of them had caught a hold of her backpack.

Kagome's fright and her momentum had her struggling forward, and her arms slipped free of the straps. But her freedom was short lived as she felt her hair painfully captured in their grasp. Immediately, her own hands reached up to ward off the assailant which had her hair, wincing from the pain. She cried out, feeling herself jerked backwards until she came up against the unyielding body of her attacker. Frantically, Kagome struggled, trying to free herself from their hold as an arm came around her chest.

"Think you're too good…" she heard against her ear just before she felt herself twisted and propelled off to the side. A gasping cry escaped her as she stumbled and fell to the ground.

She felt the harsh sting on her knee as it struck the pavement reopening her previous injury and tearing the flesh a bit more, then her shoulder struck the pavement as she tumbled over, and finally came to an abrupt stop as she collided with the hard side of the metal dumpster.

Everything seem to stop for a second or two as a bright light went off inside her head: the impact of the dumpster against her forehead knocked her senses out of kilter. Then, there was only the pain. Pain in her knee, pain of her shoulder, and the pain in her head.

Still, the force of the impact sent her reeling back again and it was just instinctive that she throw her arms and hands out to catch herself from ending up completely on the ground.

Kagome could only sit there, supporting herself back on her hands, looking up at them in a daze. The three, seeming not to be much older than herself, approached her, their leering smiles and snickers told her just what kind of intentions they had.

"Kagome, Kagome, time for you to come out and play…" one of them chanted, changing the words a bit from the child's game song. He knew her name, but she couldn't recognize by sight or sound who it was.

"Leave me alone," she yelled at them, backing away the little bit that she could as they came to stand around where she was.

"Aww, little school girl don't want to play?" The voice chimed again mocking her fear.

Of a sudden, he crouched down, a cruel smile twisting his face. "Maybe I want to…" came his words and reached out and grabbed her by the ankle. She felt herself pulled across the surface of the pavement and tiny grains bit into the back of her upper leg.

Kagome closed her eyes and screamed, kicking at her assailant with her other foot, trying to sink her fingers into the asphalt surface to keep from being dragged more.

The next instant she was free. There was a loud muffled sound as if someone punched a very firm pillow which was followed by a heavy thud accompanied with a groan. Just when she dared to open her eyes to see what was happening, she heard:

"She said to leave her alone!"

That voice!

Her eyes popped open wide, as her lips parted in stunned, and somewhat grateful, surprise.

There stood InuYasha between her and the thugs, having already decommissioned one of their numbers as they laid flat on their back coughing and groaning.

"Any of you other bastards want to try something?" He asked menacingly as he displayed his wicked looking claws on one hand. He extended his fingers then clenched slightly, allowing the cracking sound to be that much more intimidating. Kagome couldn't see it, but the smiling snarl he had on his face displayed his fangs quite well to the offending attackers. If it wasn't such a terrifying situation, she would have laughed for the look of their expressions was priceless.

The other two backed away, not willing to turn their back on this new comer. They paused only to help their comrade back up and over to the vehicle that was waiting in the street. Once they had packed themselves inside, it sped off down the road.

InuYasha relaxed his stance, then turned his head to peer down over his shoulder at the girl still on the ground.

Glittering golden eyes meet her brown ones, which held back moisture that was in them from falling. They held each other's gaze only briefly before Kagome's lashes swept downward as if the action hid her away from him. Softly, that even the hanyou's ears couldn't pick it up, she murmured, "I should have stayed with you."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Extension of the first part of this chapter:

"Feh," InuYasha growled, sinking down against the rough surface of the wall after testing the air. He didn't detect any demons lurking in the immediate area: the girl was perfectly safe walking home without him tagging along watching her every movement.

She must have gone this way hundreds of times before he ever showed up, one more wasn't going to matter. All he was there to do was to keep the demons away until he was able to obtain the necklace for himself. Anyway, she didn't want to be around him.

"Feh," he let the simple sound roll at length off his tongue. The feeling was mutual. He didn't want to be around her anymore than he had to be either.

With the sun warm against him, InuYasha stretched out where he was and closed his eyes. He entwined his fingers together and slipped them beneath his head. It felt nice there: up away from everyone, just the sky above and the heat of the sun beating down on him, and Kagome's scent of blossoms and honey…

His eyes snapped open; his mind going blank for a moment. WHAT?! Then he did a mental shake, reprising himself. What was wrong with taking notice of a scent that he's become familiar with, especially when it was as pleasant as hers. That didn't mean that it meant anything more.

Once again, he closed his eyes, allowing his senses to lull back into a relaxed state, or at least as much as he allowed himself to be in; musing with ideas in which he could get that necklace away from her without being planted into the ground. No, finding himself in a crater about ten feet deep, just before or as soon after he got it, not able move wasn't too appealing. She would just walk over and pluck the thing right out of his hand and then what?

Ideas mulled around in his head all the while his senses kept returning to her scent. He liked it: it relaxed him, and he started to doze off.

It was the smell that jerked him back awake, bringing him up to a crouch and fully alert. He sniffed, then sniffed again, testing the scents that mingled in the air. He could still detect Kagome's but something else blended with it. Fear. She was afraid, something was happening.

Without giving another thought, the hanyou raced across the length of the building he was on and leaped into the air. Barely did his feet touch down upon the next one before he launched himself back up. From building top to an occasional tree or lamp post, InuYasha raced onward following the trail with his heightened sense of smell. His ears flicked upon hearing her scream.

"Leave me alone," she yelled, which was followed by a taunting male's voice. "…don't want to play….", "…maybe I want to…".

They were close. He was almost there upon them. 'Just hang on…'

Again she screamed, just as he leapt once more into the air. Looking down, searching, he saw her and she was kicking out at the one that had a hold of her; struggling to keep herself away. Her fear was so thick that it brought forth a furious emotion within him.

He touched down at the point where he had first intended to land, but now his direction wasn't a forward motion. Instead, he immediately twisted himself and went half a leap back the way he came, coming to rest right next to the one that had a hold of Kagome. In a blink of an eye, InuYasha took hold of him by the back of his vested shirt and ripped him away from her.

Without looking; without thought, the man instantly struck out, punching out at his attacker which connected somewhere in the guys stomach. The hanyou didn't even flinch. Realizing that his strike didn't have any effect, he looked up and found himself face to face with an angry golden eyed demon. He only had time for his mouth to drop open before finding himself flying through the air and landing with a hard thud on the sidewalk. He laid there groaning with the wind knocked out of him.

"She said to leave her alone!" he growled, baring his fangs and putting himself between Kagome and the other two males. "Any of you other bastards want to try something?"

Wanting to add a little more emphasis on who they were dealing with, InuYasha displayed his hand brandishing his sharp claws, and after extending his fingers slightly, he clenched them a bit to make the bones in his knuckles crack. It was an unnecessary act, but it made it just that much more intimidating.

The two standing attackers turned white, cowering, then started backing away. They stopped only long enough to get their nearly unconscious companion off the ground, not turning their backs to the creature which stood poised to fight, and escaped to the vehicle that was out in the street. They scurried with haste to put themselves back inside and then it took off down the road.

After a few moments, InuYasha relaxed his stance and turned his head to glance over his shoulder at the girl that was still on the ground. His eyes meet her glistening chocolate ones and held their gaze only seconds before she hid them beneath the sweep of her lashes.

Taking in the sight of the rest of her, the thought that ran across his mind was, 'I should have stayed with you.'

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* END Of Part 9 *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Please review. Much appreciated. Just that it lets me know it's worth continuing or not.