InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Savvy ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: I don't own Inuyasha, but I got the Season One box set for Xmas!! Enough bragging...

****/

"Dried Up, Tied Up, And Dead To The World" Marilyn Manson (Inuyasha and Kikyou scene)

****/

He used the key he'd never returned to let himself in the next afternoon. Looking around in the dim afternoon light, he found the place spotless, and wrinkled his nose at the smell of bleach. She'd been cleaning, and he wondered how long it had been since she'd gotten any sleep. He shook his head angrily as he followed her scent to the back of the apartment.

In her bedroom she sat up against the corner of her bed, dressed only in a pair of cotton panties and one of his old white t-shirts, her long black hair spilling over her shoulders as she stared blankly at the television on her dresser.

"Kikyou?"

Her eyes traveled slowly over to him, and he could tell she was coming down. "Go home, Inuyasha," she said tiredly.

"Who sold it to you?" he demanded.

Kikyou laughed mirthlessly. "What does it matter?"

"Because I'm going to kill them, that's why!"

"I don't even know him." She ran a hand through her hair. "Someone at a party."

He growled as he took a seat on the edge of the bed. "You're going to kill yourself. When was the last time you slept?"

She shrugged. "What do you care?"

He seized her wrist quickly, squeezing hard enough to cause discomfort, he knew, but she didn't show it in her expression. "You know I care; don't start. You had stopped; you were doing better."

Kikyou jerked away from his grip. "It's not your concern anymore, Inuyasha."

"Why, because I'm not fucking you?"

She smiled grimly. "No. Because no matter what your wishes, I'm not going to live forever."

"I don't want that, Kikyou. I haven't for awhile. That's doesn't give you the right to die now."

"You've given up on me?" she asked, sounding curious.

"Given up? No. Just because I don't want you for my mate doesn't mean I'm going to sit around and watch you commit suicide."

She smiled. "Oh, so I suppose we're friends?"

"Why are you always trying to fight with me?" he snarled.

"I'm not sure. When did you decide you no longer wanted me?"

He glared at her. "Maybe when I decided I'd rather be with someone who didn't think living was below them. You seem to think you're above everything, Kikyou. Even me. But looking at you now, I can't say I'd agree." He stood, walking toward the door.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"To fix you something to eat," he replied. "You look like you just escaped Auschwitz."

****/

Kagome walked downstairs that afternoon, hoping the expression on her face would pass inspection.

How had he found her number?

She'd checked her voicemail as soon as she'd gotten out of the shower. There had been a message from her mother, and from one of her high school friends, Eri, which had really cheered her up.

And then, there had been the last message.

"Kagome? It's Kouga. Look, I know things got out of hand before you left. I'm sorry. But your mother's really worried about you, and so am I. New York's no place for a girl like you to be alone. I'm hoping you'll call me back."

Kagome wanted to call her mother, and see if she had given Kouga her new cell phone number, but she knew it was very early in Tokyo, and she didn't think she would have. Still...

Kagome looked around the empty bar, checking her watch before she took a seat. Sitting alone in the silent bar made her feel like crying suddenly, and she willed her tears away, telling herself there was no possible way Kouga could find her in a city as huge as New York. He wouldn't expect to find her working in a bar.

"He's not here, is he?"

Kagome jumped, turning around on her bar stool. "What?"

"Inuyasha?"

"Oh. No, but he's still got a minute or two."

Sango sighed, looking fed up. "Never mind him. I've tended bar my fair share of times. I'll show you around."

Kagome followed Sango around the counter, where she was shown where the basic supplies were, such as the juices and garnishes. Then, Sango started explaining the different types of liquors, since Kagome was a little clueless on most of them.

"Now, your two most popular orders are of course beer, and shots. So, we'll do those."

Inuyasha let himself in the back entrance, and sighed angrily when he heard Sango's voice. He supposed he should feel grateful, but he wasn't looking forward to the dirty looks he was going to get from her.

He entered the bar just in time to see Kagome send foam flying from a beer mug that she was holding under the tap. Both of the girls shrieked, giggling, and Inuyasha forced himself not to smile. At least someone was having fun.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Kagome cried.

"It's fine," Sango laughed, before her eyes settled on Inuyasha. "Hey," she greeted him.

"Hey."

She looked to Kagome. "I'm going to go change the keg out."

Kagome nodded and watched as Sango disappeared into the back. "Sango's been showing me some stuff," she told Inuyasha.

"That's fine. Could you fill the salt shakers?"

"Sure."

Inuyasha started for the back to get a tray of glasses, and just as he suspected, Sango was waiting in the hall for him, her cheerful expression long gone. "Do you plan on training her at all, or is this some cracked scheme to get Kikyou back in here?"

Inuyasha sighed. "It's not like that."

Sango sighed in return, her expression softening. "You swear?" He nodded. "Alright. Do you like her so far? Kagome?"

Inuyasha arched an eyebrow. "Don't start," he warned.

Sango grinned. He was defensive; that was a good sign. "Come on, Inuyasha. I saw you looking at her."

He scowled. "Keh!"

"So, you're denying it?"

"I ain't denying anything. I can look all I want."

Sango nodded. "Yeah. So... how's Kikyou?"

Inuyasha sighed, turning away to walk down the hall. "That's what you think, huh?"

"That's what I know, Inuyasha. Kikyou's a lost cause. I hate to sound so cruel, but..."

"Kikyou ain't got nothing to do with it," he replied, turning back again to face her. "The girl just ain't my type."

"Why not? Because she's not a bitch?"

Inuyasha surprised Sango by laughing. "Yeah, that about sums it up. I gotta go get the glasses."

Sango knew that meant the conversation was over, and went to go change out the empty keg.

(*)(*)(*)

"Kagome!"

She was so sick of hearing her own name. Perhaps she'd have it changed...

It was nearing ten o'clock, and Kagome was nearing a nervous breakdown. The bar was absolutely packed, and Inuyasha was being a jerk. She'd already spilled two drinks on herself, and broken a glass, much to everyone's amusement. She wanted to go upstairs and take a long bath. She couldn't get the smell of bourbon out of her nose.

Shaking her head to dispel all her random thoughts, she walked quickly up to the bar. "Yeah?"

"Here's the order for table three," Inuyasha told her. "Oh, and I turned your cell phone off. It's been ringing off the hook back here. Try not to spill anything this time, huh?"

She nodded slowly, taking the tray and going to the appointed table in a daze. She managed to gracefully set the drinks down, and take her tip in return as she felt the tears brimming in her eyes. She didn't need to check her call log to know who was calling her phone.

Kagome didn't even think as she sat the tray back onto the bar and made her way back into the break room, letting the tears spill down her face. He'd find her, she knew. Somehow, Kouga would find her, and he'd make her go back home. She didn't know how, but he would.

(*)(*)(*)

"Hey, Rin!" Inuyasha called just as she passed the bar on her way to the back.

"Yeah?"

"You going on break?" She nodded, smiling. "Find Kagome. She just went back there, and I didn't tell her she could take a break. I need her up here."

"Sure thing!"

Rin was surprised when she saw Kagome leaning against the wall, tears streaming down her face. "Kagome?"

Kagome jumped, her eyes darting around the room as she tried to wipe the moisture from her face. "Hey, Rin," she said, her voice wavering a bit.

"Sweetie, what's the matter?"

"Oh, nothing."

Rin's usually bright smile darkened. "Is he being a jerk to you? He is, isn't he? Oh, that little twerp, I'm gonna..."

Before Kagome could argue, Rin had already left the break room, intent on giving Inuyasha Inutaisho a piece of her mind.

"Did you find her?" he asked when Rin approached the bar again.

"You go back there and apologize!" she demanded.

"What? Apologize? What'd I do?"

"I can only imagine, but you made her cry! I'll watch the bar!"

Inuyasha sighed. He'd thought his night couldn't have gotten worse, but this was apparently what he got for thinking. He knew he couldn't deny Rin of what she wanted; he'd tried that before and had gotten his ears twisted in the process. But if Kagome was crying over something he'd said, she wasn't going to last long at this job.

You could've been a little nicer, a voice in the back of his mind whispered, which he quickly shut up as he made his way back to the break room.

Kagome was standing where Rin had left her, and though she was no longer crying, Inuyasha could smell the salt, and see the stains on her face. Had he really caused this? He felt guilty suddenly. "Kagome?"

She looked up, and he saw her blush. "I'm sorry. Rin left before I could say anything. It's not your fault."

He sighed. "Was it one of the customers or something?"

"No..."

"Then, what?"

"It's... personal. I'll be out in just a second. I'm really sorry."

"It's fine. Look, why don't you take a minute or two?" Why did that look on her face make him want to do... something? Anything to make her stop looking so sad?

"Okay. Thanks."

"No problem."

Inuyasha made his way back out to the bar, wondering what had caused this sudden problem. Kagome had just been stressed until...

And then, he saw it, underneath the bar.

Her cell phone.

"Rin, I've got the bar. Go ahead and go on break."

"Did you apologize?"

He snorted. "I didn't do anything. She's fine."

"If you're lying, I'll hurt you."

He smirked. "I think you just wanna hurt me."

Rin giggled. "Got me there, sexy."

Inuyasha rolled his eyes, watching as Rin left. As soon as she was gone, he took orders as he grabbed Kagome's cell, turning it on and not feeling a bit guilty as he did so.

He filled two orders for shots as he waited for the cell to power on, and checked the screen to see she had four new voicemails. Resting the tiny phone on his shoulder as he went about mixing a whiskey sour, he listened.

"Hello," an automated voice greeted him before he heard Kagome's voice speak her own name cheerily. "You have four new messages, and one saved message."

"Kagome, it's Kouga again. Look, I just want to talk to you. Call me back."

"Kagome, it's me again."

"Please don't avoid me. I'll come to New York if I have to. You shouldn't be there alone."

"Kagome, answer you phone."

Inuyasha growled low in his throat before erasing the messages. So, his name was Kouga? Let him come. He would wish he hadn't.

He'd just turned the phone off and returned it to its place when Kagome returned, a wan smile on her face. She didn't say anything, just grabbed her guest checks and returned to work. As he watched her go, he wished he'd at least asked her if she felt any better. He really wanted to ask her who the hell Kouga was, but then she'd know he'd been snooping, and that might not go over so well.

(*)(*)(*)

Kagome woke up the next afternoon to the sound of her cell phone ringing. She blindly reached over to her nightstand, barely opening her eyes to check the caller ID. The number wasn't familiar, but it was local, so she answered it. "Hello?"

"Kagome?"

"Yeah?"

"Did I wake you up?"

"Um... yeah. Who is this?"

"It's Sango."

"Oh... Hey."

"Sorry, I stole your number from Kagura's office last night. I wanted it."

Kagome giggled softly. "It's okay."

"I was just wondering, are you busy on Sunday?"

"Well, I have to go grocery shopping, but other than that, no."

"Awesome. Wanna hang out?"

Kagome smiled. "Yeah, sure."

"Great. Miroku and I will swing by and pick you up. Is four good for you?"

"Four's great."

"See you tonight, then."

"Okay. 'Bye."

Kagome hung up, and couldn't manage to get the silly grin off her face. She had plans. She'd made a friend! It made last night look like a bad dream. Though Inuyasha had seemed much nicer after her little breakdown, she'd still cried herself to sleep. She was grateful, though, that for as many times as Kouga had called, he hadn't left any more voicemails...

(*)(*)(*)

Inuyasha's ears perked up as he opened his eyes. Kagome's shower was running. He was surprised she was already awake; he'd heard her crying well into morning. As much as he'd wanted to check on her, he couldn't betray his sensitive hearing by doing so. And what would he have said? 'Hey, I heard you through the wall?' Not exactly. It didn't seem like she wanted to talk about her problem with this Kouga guy, anyway, but ever since he'd been at Savvy, it had been something of his job to take care of guys like Kouga. He'd done it for Sango herself when she'd first come through the door, dating some loser named Brandon. But now Sango was happily married, and stuff like that was nothing more than dim memories. Sure, Miroku was an idiot, but he was loyal, no matter how much his eyes wandered. He was a damn good bass player, too.

He figured if he and Kagome were both awake, he might as well see if she wanted to get in some early training. Yawning hugely, Inuyasha got out of bed.

(*)(*)(*)

Kagome had just finished drying her hair and was getting ready to change into her clothes when there was a knock on the door. Looking curiously at it, she went to open it. "Oh, hi," she said. How often is he going to see me in my stupid pajamas? she wondered.

"You're not dressed?" he asked.

"I was going to make breakfast first."

"Oh."

"Want some?"

He looked doubtful, and Kagome was sure he was going to refuse. "What are you making?"

"Well, I'm running a little low. Just miso soup and grilled fish, but you're welcome to it."

Inuyasha smiled. It had been awhile. "Sure. When you're done, do you want to go down and learn to mix some drinks?"

She smiled. "Yeah."

Kagome started cooking, feeling a little nervous with someone watching her. It didn't help that Inuyasha looked especially attractive that day in his very form fitting black t-shirt. "Do you have any tattoos?" she asked before thinking.

"What? No. Why?"

"I don't know."

He smirked. "Do you?"

"Yeah, right. My granddad would have killed me."

"Do you want one?"

"I thought about it once. Just something small, maybe."

"Well, your granddad's not around to kill you now."

"I suppose not."

"...Do you miss them?"

"What? Oh... Yeah, a little. Watch this for a minute, will you? I'm going to get dressed."

"What for?" he asked jokingly. Kagome shot him a dirty look before trotting towards her room.

Not long after, the two of them sat down for breakfast, which Inuyasha practically inhaled, pleasing Kagome to no end. Instead of washing the dishes, she decided they could wait until later. She wanted to learn something about tending bar while Inuyasha was in a decent mood.

Once downstairs, Inuyasha handed her the book he'd let her borrow. "Look up a Long Island Iced Tea."

"Alright." She flipped through the pages before finding the recipe. "Oh, this one looks hard."

"It's hard for your first drink, but it's popular. You'll need to know it." He gestured to the shelves behind them. "Find the stuff."

"Okay."

Inuyasha watched as Kagome first looked to the book, her eyebrows drawn down in concentration, and then back to the shelves, carefully picking out the tequila first, and then the rum. He couldn't help himself from thinking she was adorable. He really couldn't believe it was her third day, but he was glad he'd been proven wrong. She might make it, after all.

"Already here?"

The two of them looked up to see Kagura near her office, not looking quite awake.

"I haven't had time to train Kagome on the clock. You really need to get a third person in here."

"I'm working on it. You doing alright?"

Kagome nodded. "Just fine."

"Good. Inuyasha's not being an ass, is he?"

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "No, he's fine," Kagome assured her.

"That's a surprise. Well, you two have fun. I'm going to go nap on my desk."

"Why didn't she just stay in bed?" Kagome mused as Kagura closed the office door behind her.

"Phone calls," Inuyasha replied, setting out a glass full of ice for Kagome and watching as she measured out the different alcohols into the glass. "Not bad," he commented.

"Don't lie to make me feel better," she warned him.

"I wouldn't," he replied, and his tone made Kagome roll her eyes.

After the first successful drink, Inuyasha taught her how to make a whiskey sour, and a rum and coke. "Tonight we have shot specials," he informed her. "You get to walk around with a tray full of test tubes. You'll be busy."

"Test tubes?"

"They're full of different shots. I'll tell you the names, you try to sell them. We only do it on the weekends, and they come already made."

"Well, that's good."

"It's a blessing and a curse. People get trashed from them... If anything you can't handle happens tonight, don't be afraid to tell me. They'll be extra security here, too. Kagura has them on the weekends."

"Um... okay."

Inuyasha caught the worried expression on her face. "Hey, don't worry about it. You'll do fine."

Kagome smiled warily. Why was Inuyasha being so nice to her suddenly?

****/

DarkMoonStar- Well, here's an update. Don't know how soon the next one will be, I'm working on two stories at once, but I'll try!













< br>