InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Savvy ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: I don't own Inuyasha. Sorry it took me sooooo long to update, but as I think I've said before, I have another story that is my top priority, at least until it's finished. So check the darn thing out. It's "To Hell." I have another story, too, but it's just sitting there, collecting dust... And now I'm rambling... On with the story.

****/

"One Year, Six Months" Yellowcard (Sango's apartment)

"Dead Girl Superstar" Rob Zombie (dancing scene)

****/

Sunday...

Kagome paced around her living room, absently straightening her couch cushions as she walked past them before checking the clock on the VCR again. 3:58.

Why did she feel so nervous? Perhaps because she'd had the same friends since she was five years old. The thought of making new ones was a little overwhelming. Exciting, though.

There was a knock on the door, and Kagome scrambled to grab her purse before checking her outfit. She hoped she didn't look too dressed up. It was just a t-shirt and jeans, but her clothes seemed so boring compared to everyone she knew now. They were so... interesting compared to her.

Opening the door, Kagome smiled at Sango and Miroku. "Hey," she said as she joined them in the hall, locking her door.

"Are you sure you don't want to hang out with Inuyasha today?" Sango asked her husband as they started for the stairs.

"And miss all this lovely company?" Miroku replied, sounding offended. "I think not. Besides, you're not driving my car."

****/

Inuyasha waited until the voices in the hall had faded before he left his apartment. So, Kagome was going out with Sango and Miroku? Good for her. He planned to spend a little time downstairs seeing what needed to be ordered, since Kagura never really bothered, before he went down the block to the grocery store. Then, he had nothing to do but watch television for the rest of the day. He hated Sundays.

His ears perked up, however, when he realized Kagura wasn't alone in her office. He heard voices on the other side of the closed door, and picked up the distinct scent of a human male. What was she doing in there?

Obviously sensing his presence, the door opened, and Kagura greeted Inuyasha with a sly smile. "Nice to see you on your day off, Inuyasha. Would you like to meet our newest employee?"

"Employee?" he asked doubtfully, peering past Kagura to get a look at the new hire.

"Hey, I'm Eric," the guy spoke up, and Inuyasha had the overwhelming urge to roll his eyes. This one looked like he'd just stepped out of a fraternity. Highlights, a wrinkled polo shirt, the whole nine yards.

Inuyasha let Kagura know what he thought of Eric in one tired glance. "I'm already training Kagome," he told her.

"Oh, it's cool, dude," Eric replied. "I bartended in a club on the east side for two years."

"Wonderful," Inuyasha quipped. "Don't call me dude," he added before looking back to Kagura. "I'll be checking inventory."

Kagura let out a long sigh as Inuyasha left the office.

****/

Kagome looked around the apartment Sango and Miroku shared with a smile. She couldn't help herself. She knew a lot of girls dreamed of big, fancy houses, but she hoped to have something like this if she ever got married. It was small, but it was tidy and already full of memories, Kagome could tell. The bulletin board in the kitchen was full of little love notes and movie ticket stubs. The living room had their wedding portrait proudly displayed on the entertainment center, and the walls were covered with photo collages, as well as framed flyers from the shows the band had played at local clubs.

"Miroku should be back soon with the movies," Sango said, handing Kagome a soda as she joined her on the sofa.

"Oh, it's fine. I was just looking at everything."

Sango laughed. "Yeah, we're packrats," she admitted sheepishly.

"No, I think it's wonderful!" Kagome picked up a framed photograph that sat on the coffee table. In the picture were Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha, who were all smiling, and a rather cold looking girl. Judging by the sweat on the boys, and their attire, she assumed the picture might have been taken after one of their shows. "Who's this girl?" she asked.

"Oh, that's Kikyou," Sango replied, her usually cheerful look gone.

"Oh," Kagome said, putting the photo back in its place. "I didn't know."

"She never really liked going to the shows. Or at least, I don't think she did. That was right before her and Inuyasha broke up, so it was hard to tell. They were always fighting, then."

"I was sort of wondering... you know, if they dated."

"Oh, yeah," Sango said, rolling her eyes. "For two years."

"Wow."

"They broke up just over six months ago, and it was pretty ugly."

Kagome wasn't sure she should be hearing about Inuyasha's personal life. "She's... very pretty," she commented, glancing back at the picture.

Sango snorted, crossing her arms. "We were glad when she quit, but I don't know if it's going to make anything better."

Kagome took a sip of her soda. "What do you mean?"

Sango sighed. "We were all hoping Inuyasha would move on."

"He's not?"

She shook her head. "Not at all. She won't let him. It's one cry for attention after another. That's how it always is with her." She smiled wanly. "Sorry to dump all this on you."

"Oh, it's okay."

"It's just... you're new. Everyone else is just so tired of hearing about it, and seeing it. Everyone's given up on Inuyasha, except us. The band, and me. I think Rin's close, too. Kagura stays out of it, anymore."

Kagome smiled, trying to look as supportive as possible. She really wanted Sango to trust her, but she felt guilty, hearing all of these things that Inuyasha most likely wouldn't want her to know. "You can talk to me; I don't mind."

"It's just... Inuyasha takes care of all the girls at Savvy. Hell, he took care of me when I started there, before I met Miroku. It's just what he does. He acts like a complete ass, but he cares. He can't help it. And when Kikyou came there... it just all went to hell.

"Kagura hired Kikyou knowing she was on drugs. She sent her to rehab, paid for it out of her own pocket. When she got out, she gave her a job. As a stripper. Kikyou was clean for a long time.

"Inuyasha fell for Kikyou hard, and I don't know why. I guess the same reason people fall in love all the time." Sango shrugged, taking a drink of her soda.

"But it was like Kikyou sucked the life out of him. We stopped seeing him. There were less practices, less shows. It was all about her.

"They finally had a fight about it one night... That's Inuyasha's own story, not mine. After that, Kikyou changed. Things should have ended there, but they dated for another year. Kikyou stopped stripping, and started bartending with Inuyasha. They fought all the time. She was always late for work. Sometimes she didn't show up at all."

"She didn't get fired?"

"No. Kagura rarely fires anyone, especially when Inuyasha was making excuses for her. She likes to let people sort out their own messes. After they broke up, it got worse, but Inuyasha always covered Kikyou's shifts, so it was never a problem for Kagura. And for the past few months, everything was fine. Until it happened."

"It?" Kagome echoed.

"Yeah. A few weeks ago, some money showed up missing after close."

Kagome's eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

Sango nodded. "Both Inuyasha and Kikyou had been working that night. The normal thing would have been to question them both, but Kagura didn't. She just took Kikyou in the office and asked her to give the money back."

"...And Kikyou quit, didn't she?"

Sango nodded. "Everyone knows Inuyasha would never do something like that, especially Kagura." She smiled, patting Kagome on the knee. "Welcome to our dysfunctional family."

Kagome smiled nervously.

The door opened, and the girls looked to see Miroku walk in, a Blockbuster bag in one hand... and Inuyasha behind him. "Look what I picked up," he quipped with a lazy grin, throwing his keys on the counter.

Sango smiled. "Where was it? In the dumpster?"

Inuyasha glared. "Funny. I was on my way to the grocery store until I heard his hunk of junk going down the road."

"Like you eat anything but ramen, anyway," Sango replied.

"I will if you order a pizza."

She smiled sweetly. "I will if you're paying."

He shrugged, finding a seat in the chair closest to Kagome, while Miroku stood before the DVD player, sorting through the choices he'd rented. "Sweetie?" Sango spoke up. "Tell me you didn't rent something stupid."

"Of course not, dear."

Inuyasha snorted. "You sent him to the video store by himself. What do you think he did?"

"You didn't go with him?"

"No."

Sango sighed. "You better order that pizza." She looked back to Miroku. "You were supposed to call from the store."

Miroku shrugged. "I thought I did alright."

Kagome smiled as she listened to the three of them argue. Miroku finally chose a movie, putting it in before he settled himself comfortably between the two girls with a sigh. Sango and Inuyasha rolled their eyes.

The room was quiet for all of a minute before Inuyasha started laughing at the title screen and Sango let out a sigh of disgust. "Bats?" Inuyasha read in disbelief. "You rented a movie called Bats?"

"What?"
Miroku shouted defensively. Kagome couldn't help it; she giggled. "I think we should give it a chance."

The movie was never given a chance, although Miroku did press the 'play' button. Inuyasha ordered a pizza from his cell phone, then Sango went to get sodas for everyone. Miroku and Inuyasha started discussing a new bass line for a song.

"Oh, I forgot," Inuyasha said. "Kagura hired another bartender today."

"Really?" Sango said.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Some guy named Eric. I'm going to fire him."

"Can you do that?" Miroku asked.

"Watch me," Inuyasha countered. "Bastard called me 'dude.'"

"Heavens," Sango muttered, and she and Kagome shared a smile.

The pizza arrived soon after, and was devoured, mostly by the boys, though Kagome had three pieces by herself. "We haven't done this in so long," Sango commented when the boys paused long enough in their conversation. "I missed it."

"Missed what?" Inuyasha asked. "We hang out all the time."

"At the bar," Sango said. "Not here. The only other place we're together is at practice. This is great. And with our new little friend." She grinned at Kagome.

"Hey, I'm not that little," Kagome argued, faking a pout.

"She means young," Inuyasha told her.

Kagome stuck her tongue out at him. "I'm not young, either."

"Right." He smiled, and Kagome managed to smile back, though she was sure she was blushing.

Sango tried to hide her own smile as she watched the two. "Get your guitar, Miroku," she told her husband.

"What for?" he asked.

"Because, we're all hanging out. It's just what you do!"

"Oh, I see. Yes, my lady."

As Miroku left the room, Kagome laughed. "Does he always talk like that?"

Inuyasha nodded. "To Sango? Most of the time. It's disgusting."

"I think it's sweet." Inuyasha stuck his tongue out in reply.

Moments later, Miroku returned with his acoustic, taking a seat in one of the chairs as he began to tune the strings. "And what would I be playing?" he asked.

Sango smiled, shrugging as her and her husband exchanged a look. "I don't know. Something... light."

Miroku nodded slightly, seeming thoughtful as he began to pluck out notes. "Know this one?" he asked Inuyasha.

He nodded, rolling his eyes. "Sappy shit."

"Shut your mouth," Sango warned, to which Inuyasha replied by sticking his pierced tongue out yet again.

Sango sat back with a smile as the boys began to sing.

"Sew this up with threads of reason and regret
So I will not forget
I will not forget
How this felt
One year six months ago I know
I cannot forget
I cannot forget
I'm falling into
Memories of you
And things we used to do
Follow me there
A beautiful somewhere
A place that I can share
With you..."

Sango smiled happily. These weren't the sort of songs other people got to hear, and she supposed it was one of the reasons she liked them so much; it made her feel special. Like she was part of something no one else was privileged enough to experience.

"I can tell that you don't know me anymore
It's easy to forget
Sometimes we just forget
And being on this road
Is anything but sure
Maybe we'll forget
I hope we don't forget"

She was hoping Kagome was enjoying herself as well, but when Sango looked over, she had to stop her jaw from dropping open.

It wasn't anything a guy would notice. Not any normal guy, anyway. Oh, no, Sango thought. This couldn't be happening. But it was, and there was no way she could stop it.

"I'm falling into
Memories of you
And things we used to do
Follow me there
A beautiful somewhere
A place that I can share
With you..."

Sango knew that look too well. The way Kagome's head was tilted just slightly, the ghost of a smile at the corners of her mouth. That dazed look on the girl's face as she watched Inuyasha sing.

"So many nights
Lets tangled tight
Wrap me up in a dream with you
Close up these eyes
Try not to cry
All that I got to pull me through
These memories of you
Memories of you
Memories of you
Memories of you..."

Kagome, don't start falling for him,
Sango pleaded inwardly. Not with Inuyasha. Not now!

"I'm falling into
Memories of you
And things we used to do
Follow me there
A beautiful somewhere
A place that we can share
Falling into
Memories of you
And things we used to do."

The song ended and was greeted with silence before Sango realized, and tore her eyes away from Kagome, who began clapping merrily. Sango managed to applaud herself, though inside she was panicking. What could she do? She hadn't expected a girl as sweet and innocent looking as Kagome to start crushing on Inuyasha. It wasn't just that Kagome was so innocent, either. Sango would have warned any girl off. In the state Inuyasha had been in, wishing to date him reminded her a little of wanting to walk over a cliff. Well, that's a little cruel, she scolded herself.

It really didn't make it any less true, though. Inuyasha was dangerous territory, at least at the moment. At least until he got over Kikyou, if that was ever going to happen.

I wonder, though... maybe Kagome could do that for him.

Sango, if Miroku had any idea you just thought that...

But he doesn't know.

Yeah, but you also don't want to see this girl get hurt. She just got out of a bad relationship.

As Sango argued silently with herself, the boys discussed more band business, and Kagome settled back, content to listen for awhile, until Miroku addressed her. "So, Kagome, will you be attending our next show?"

"Oh, um, I don't know. When is it?"

"Two weeks, on Friday."

"Well, if I don't have to work, but I probably will."

Miroku smiled. "Well, I'm sure Inuyasha can have this new guy cover it. That is, unless he fires him first."

Inuyasha scowled. "I'll see what I can do."

****/

The night went by too quickly for Kagome. Movies were watched, more songs were played, and though she was mostly a spectator in the events, she really did enjoy the company.

Then, it came time to go home.

"You wanna walk with me?" Inuyasha asked her as he stood up.

Kagome was about to stay yes, when Sango interrupted. "We'll take her."

"Oh, it's alright," Kagome replied, smiling. "It's a nice night."

Sango chewed her bottom lip. "Well. Okay."

Kagome didn't miss the strange look Inuyasha shot Sango before they said their good-byes.

"So, did you have fun?" Inuyasha asked as they walked down the street, back towards Savvy.

"Yeah, it was really great."

"Great, huh? You must not get out much."

She laughed. "I really don't."

****/

Inuyasha sighed as he finally crawled into bed that night, with the scent of Kagome fresh in his nose. He had to admit, it wasn't a bad smell. He just wondered why Sango didn't seem to trust him around her...

****/

naiobi- Thanks! I think your the only person that's reading both of my stories... The only one that's reviewed, anyway.

DarkMoonStar- Thanks for the encouragement!

Tarzan14- Yeah, Kikyou and Kagome will run into each other soon. Dun dun dun indeed.

Red Tigergirl2- Thankies.

Wacami emie- Sorry it took so long!

ShaylaBlade- Here ya go! I'll try to get the next chapter out sooner. (Don't beat me!!!)

sublimetrickster- Thanks so much for your review. I love your stuff! Your fiction and your artwork. I'm a devart GEEEEEK!