InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Savvy ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Sorry, guys. Haven't had much time for writing. Been looking for a job. The real world sucks... Oh, and I don't own Inuyasha. If I did, I wouldn't need a job, now would I? Ha. Also, I got sick, and then I threw my back out! Fun times for me!

*******

"Dead Girl Superstar" Rob Zombie (Sango/Inuyasha's "dance")
"It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A F**cking Deathwish" My Chemical Romance (concert)

*******

Sango let herself in Monday afternoon to see Inuyasha behind the bar, adding something up on a legal pad. She took a seat on one of the stools. "Got a cigarette?"

He cocked an eyebrow at her. "And since when did I pick up that habit?"

She rolled her eyes. "I mean, did anyone leave any behind last night?"

Ducking behind the bar, he returned, smacking a half empty pack of Marlboros before her. Smiling, Sango removed one from the pack, lighting it. "You're disgusting, by the way," he commented.

"Uh-huh. Why don't you play a CD, or something?"

"Because, unlike you, I enjoy some quiet before the doors open."

"I enjoy plenty of quiet. At home."

Inuyasha sighed, looking put out as he left the bar to go to the emcee's booth. Going through the large CD wallet, he made his selection, feeding it into the player.

(*)(*)(*)

When Kagome entered Savvy, her ears were assaulted by distorted guitar and throbbing bass beats. Wincing, she quickly made her way through the hall, but stopped abruptly, taking in the scene before her.

Sango and Inuyasha were dancing!

That wasn't the strangest part of it, either. Though the repetitive beats and growling vocals conjured up images of mosh pits in Kagome's mind, her two co-workers appeared to be swing dancing, Sango giggling madly as Inuyasha twirled her across the floor.

Sango spotted Kagome first, stopping quickly with her back flush against Inuyasha's chest as she laughed. Inuyasha's eyes met hers before he quickly took his hand from Sango's, crossing his arms across his chest and looking bored.

Kagome grinned, bringing her hands together in applause. Sango bowed dramatically, and Inuyasha rolled his eyes, walking over to turn down the music. Kagome followed Sango to sit at the bar. "Nice foot work," she told Inuyasha as he neared them, walking behind the bar.

"Keh."

Sango smiled. "So, Inuyasha, where's the schedule?"

"In the office, where it always is. Why? You always work the same days."

"I mean the one that's not up yet. We've got to get Kagome off for the show, don't we?"

All three of them perked up as they heard the back entrance open, and Inuyasha scowled as Eric walked in. "Hey, you're working next Friday night," he let the new guy know.

"Oh, that's cool," Eric replied before his gaze lit on Kagome and Sango.

"Taken care of," Inuyasha grumbled. Kagome had to stifle a giggle before turning her attention to the rumpled looking Eric.

"Hi, I'm Kagome," she told him.

"And I'm Sango."

Eric smiled lazily. "It's lovely to meet you," he drawled, taking both of their hands, and laying a kiss upon Kagome's, causing the girl to blush prettily. No one caught the rolling of Inuyasha's eyes as he left the bar to go to the back.

He really didn't like this guy.

****/

"Oh, sorry!" Kagome mumbled as she made her way through the crowd, her tray filled with empty glasses. She barely made it to the bar, where Inuyasha took the tray. "It's pretty busy tonight, huh?" she asked him with a smile.

He nodded. "You seem to be handling it alright."

"Yeah. I'm glad Kagura hired someone else, though."

Inuyasha scowled. "Yeah, I'm overjoyed." He took Kagome's drink orders and sent her back out as Rin took the stage. His eyes followed her through the crowd, and he couldn't help but smile a little. Kagome had really found a rhythm quickly, and the customers loved her. He winced as one of the regulars reached up, fondling her rear, but she barely even jumped. It normally would have made Inuyasha angry, but he was really a harmless old man. Kagome just blushed, and he grinned at her, patting her hand, and Inuyasha saw there was a folded bill in that same hand. Kagome took it, nodding her thanks before making her way to another table.

Inuyasha let his eyes roam the room, looking for any signs of trouble, and they settled on Eric. He was dropping off drinks at another table, but his eyes were fixed firmly on something else.

On Kagome.

Inuyasha realized moments later that he was growling, and cut himself off angrily. What does it matter? he asked himself.

Because he's a twerp, that's why, he answered himself. Guys like that only want one thing.

And?

And Kagome's a nice girl. She ain't like that.

She can take care of herself,
he argued with himself.

Yeah, and that Kouga bastard is proof of that?

That's different.

It would hurt her, either way.

Would you shut up?

Inuyasha put a stop to his mental wanderings as Eric approached him, that annoying smile on his face. "That Kagome's something, isn't she?" he asked. "I love that accent."

"You got drinks?" Inuyasha snapped.

"Oh, uh, yeah," the blond replied, handing him the guest checks. Inuyasha snatched them away, going to fill the orders. As he was mixing the drinks, a familiar scent caught his attention, and he rolled his eyes. This is all I need, he sighed mentally as he brother strode in through the door, his long wool coat flaring out behind him. His bored gaze settled on Inuyasha, and he made his way through the crowd, which Inuyasha could have sworn parted for him.

"Inuyasha."

"What do you want? I'm busy."

"Is Rin... finished?"

"She just left stage, about five seconds ago. You can go back there if you want."

His brother curled his lip. "I'd rather not. Could you send someone to get her?"

Inuyasha sighed before lifting his head. "Kagome!"

Kagome nearly dropped her tray at Inuyasha's demanding shout for her across the room. What did I do? she wondered as she quickly made her way to him. That's when she saw the man standing next to him. Same white, flowing hair, same golden eyes. Something about him, however, sent chills up her spine. "Uh... yeah?" she managed to ask, trying to avoid the gaze of the man.

"My brother wants you to go get Rin."

"Oh... this is your brother?" Her eyes flitted over the man quickly. He looked at her as if she were an insect. An uninteresting one, at that. Like a cricket, perhaps.

"Unfortunately. Could you get her? She's backstage."

"Sure. Just a sec." She sat her tray down, excusing herself as she pushed through the throng of people. Rin's engaged to that guy? Talk about opposites attracting.

Kagome felt nervous as she pushed the backstage door open. She'd never been backstage during regular hours, and it was a frenzy of activity, half dressed girls running around as they talked and laughed. "Have you seen Rin?" she asked one of them.

"Oh, yeah, she's getting dressed, over there," the blond told her, pointing further back as she rolled on a pair of fishnet pantyhose.

"Thanks." Kagome tried to avert her eyes from all the naked flesh as she pressed her way towards the back of the room, where she found Rin sitting on a bench, throwing her clothes into a bag. "Rin!"

The girl looked up, smiling brightly. "Hey, what are you doing back here?"

"Oh, your, um, boyfriend is looking for you."

"Sesshoumaru's here?" She wrinkled her brow, grinning. "Alright. Thanks."

"No problem."

Rin grabbed her bag and followed Kagome back out into the bar, but once she spotted Seshoumaru, she ran through the crowd, throwing herself into his arms.

A small smile tugged on Kagome's lips as she watched the couple. Although the look on Sesshoumaru's face didn't seem to change whatsoever, she didn't fail to notice the way his arm went protectively around Rin's shoulders, or the way his eyes drank her in as she babbled between the two brothers, her own eyes dancing as she laughed.

Must be nice, to be in love, she thought as someone waved her down to take another drink order.

(*)(*)(*)

The Next Friday...

"Are you sure this looks alright?" Kagome asked as she and Sango handed the doorman their money for the cover charge before entering the club.

Sango smiled, rolling her eyes. She'd taken Kagome shopping, since the girl claimed all her own clothes were "boring," and she hadn't stopped fidgeting since she'd changed outfits. It wasn't much of a change from Kagome's normal clothes. A cute pleated skirt, and a black button up shirt that was a little clingier and a little shorter than her other tops, but not a big deal. "You look hot! Stop freaking out," Sango ordered.

Kagome whined, pulling at the shirt's hem as she willed it to grow another inch or two to cover her belly button as they approached the stage. "I'm glad we got here early," Sango commented, looking to the stage, where the curtain was still drawn. "It looks like it's going to get pretty crowded."

Kagome glanced around, nodding. I wonder if Inuyasha will like what I'm wearing, she wondered briefly, then rolled her eyes. What an idiot. Like he'd notice me in a million years!

Her thoughts were cut off as a cheer went through the crowd, and she noticed the lights had gone down. The show was going to start. She looked to Sango, who was smiling brightly. She managed a nervous smile in return.

The curtains parted and the stage lights came on as the guitar chords began ringing through the club. The rest of the band followed suit, and Inuyasha stepped into the flood light and began singing, his eyes squeezed shut. Kagome wasn't sure what she'd been expecting, but it definitely wasn't what she was watching before her. This was much more... raw. She realized she was probably gaping at him like an idiot, and tried to compose herself, but couldn't quite look away, either. Everyone else was looking at him, too, so it didn't really matter, did it?

When the song ended, Kagome clapped so hard her hands hurt, and Sango laughed with her. She'd never felt so full of nervous energy. "Do you like it?" Sango asked.

"It's awesome!"

Sango and Kagome watched as Inuyasha turned to say something to the other band members before they went into the next song. Sango's head whipped around, her eyes scanning the crowd as Inuyasha belted the lyrics to the first verse.

"What's wrong?" Kagome asked, straining to be heard over the music.

"Kikyou's here somewhere," she replied grimly.

"What?"

"This is her song. Inuyasha wouldn't sing it unless she were here."

"Oh." Kagome turned to look back at Inuyasha, to see his golden eyes staring out into the crowd, focused and unmoving even though the song was fast and relentless.

That's how she found Kikyou.

She was on the middle level of the club, away from the dance floor, seated at a table alone. She was far more beautiful than Sango's picture had portrayed her. Flawless skin, silky hair, and such sad eyes as she looked back at Inuyasha. She wore jeans and a simple white tunic, and in comparison Kagome felt like a silly little girl...

****/

"Are you going to say anything?"

"Huh?" Kagome jumped, turning to look to the driver's seat, where Sango was looking at her suspiciously on their way back to Savvy. "Oh. Sorry."

"You've barely said a peep all night."

Kagome shrugged. "Just tired, I guess."

"Well, you better wake up."

"What? Why?"

"Because... after party!"

"After what?"

Sango laughed. "It's only midnight! Did you think I was just dropping you off to go to bed? There's always a party after the show." Sango pulled Miroku's Honda into the alley that led to the back parking lot.

Kagome wrinkled her nose. Since setting her eyes on Kikyou, she hadn't been in the best mood. "I don't know. I might just head to bed."

Sango parked and they got out of the car, and Kagome followed as her friend unlocked the back entrance to the club. "Oh, come on!" she begged as they went up the stairs. "Besides, you won't get any sleep with all of us across the hall." They stopped on the second floor landing, and Sango stuck her lip out in a pout. "Please?"

Kagome smiled, sighing. "Okay..."

In the hall, Kagome could already hear music and loud voices, and when Sango opened the door to Inuyasha's apartment, her eyes widened at the number of people packed into the living room. She didn't even recognize most of them.

Sango noticed the nervous expression on Kagome's face, and grabbed her hand. "Come on," she said over the music. "Miroku's over there." Kagome nodded, following.

In a less crowded corner, they found Miroku chatting with two other guys that Kagome wasn't familiar with, but he immediately stopped to embrace Sango. "Did you enjoy the show?" he asked Kagome once he pulled away from his wife.

"Oh, yes, it was great," she replied, hoping her smile was genuine. She really had loved the music, and didn't want Miroku to think otherwise.

She looked down as she felt something brush her hand, and her brow furrowed at the bottle that had seemed to find its way there. Looking up, one of Miroku's friends was smiling. "Hi, I'm Daniel," he introduced himself.

"Oh... I'm K-Kagome," she managed, still looking at the beer in her hand.

"I'm sorry, do you not drink?"

She really didn't. She'd only had alcohol once or twice in her entire life. Is there really a reason I shouldn't, though? she wondered. Her apartment was right across the hall; it wasn't as if anything could happen to her. Her friends were with her. "Well... alright," she said with a small smile. Daniel smiled back.

****/

Inuyasha sat on his kitchen counter, bored out of his mind. He'd gotten stuck in a conversation with a fan of the band who thought he knew something about music, and obviously did not. And though his so-called "friends" had passed by plenty of times to witness his predicament, none had come to his rescue. He needed an excuse...

That's when the door opened, and Kikyou walked in, her dark eyes scanning the crowd. He'd invited her, but she was the last person he'd expected to show up.

He wondered if it had been a mistake, telling Kikyou she could come. A few of the girls from the club were present, and none of them liked her. Sango was drunk; he'd seen the way she'd been leaning on Miroku.

...Where was Kagome?

He'd seen her once, before he'd been reeled in by the Led Zeppelin fan from hell, but the apartment was so full of people and smells... Where was she?

"Sorry, I gotta go," Inuyasha mumbled to man who was still rambling on, hopping off the counter and leaving the kitchenette. He smiled faintly as people said hello to him, or congratulated him on the show, not really listening as his eyes scanned the crowd for Kagome. He hated that his hearing was muffled by the sock cap he wore, but his nose was in working order, and soon he picked up her scent, and followed it to his sofa.

There sat Kagome, with a drummer from another local band. Miroku knew him. Daniel, that was it. Wasn't there a reason he didn't like him?

Kagome was drunk.

That was reason enough.

"Inuyasha."

He turned to see Kikyou behind him, her expression as blank as always. But didn't it always seem like she was mocking him somehow? Like she knew something he didn't?

Or was he just drunk?

He turned away from the sight of Kagome and Daniel. "What brings you here?" he asked her.

She smiled slightly. "I was invited."

"Having a good time?"

She laughed, though it was nothing more than a slight trembling of her shoulders. "I think you're the only one that's happy to see me here..."

He winced slightly. "Kikyou..."

"It's fine, Inuyasha. But... could we talk somewhere else?"

He nodded. "Sure."

(*)(*)(*)


I think I'm drunk.

Kagome looked around the room, trying to force things to remain in focus. She'd given up on trying to follow what Daniel was saying; he talked a lot. He didn't seem to mind that she didn't talk back.

She supposed she was having a good time. It was obvious Daniel liked her, but she was glad he hadn't asked for her number, or anything. She wasn't sure she was ready for anything like that. It felt good to know someone found her attractive, though. She'd also met several other people, but she wasn't sure she'd remember any of their names tomorrow.

"Ugh, Kikyou's here..."

"Wonderful..."

Kagome heard the whispers all around her, and looked toward the door to see that Kikyou had indeed arrived. Her heart sank.

What was wrong with her? Was she really getting feelings for Inuyasha?

That's stupid! she told herself. Why would I do something so absolutely brainless? Besides, he's a jerk. Not to mention a lost cause...

And then, there he was, looking right at her. The dim lights of the room cast his eyes into pools of warm gold, and they seemed to almost reflect the light.

The moment ended so abruptly that Kagome gasped as Inuyasha turned away.

To talk to Kikyou.

The seconds stretched into hours as she watched the two, and she didn't realize she stood as they walked away, watching as they walked through the living room, watching as they went to Inuyasha's bedroom, watching as the door closed.

"Kagome?"

She turned slowly, feeling dazed. It was Daniel.

"Are you alright?"

"Um... I think I need to go," she mumbled. "It was nice to meet you." She didn't hear anything else he said as she grabbed her purse and walked toward the door.

****/

"Oh, no," Sango hissed, handing her drink over to Miroku, and splashing some on his hand in the process.

"What is it?" he asked, reaching out to steady his wife, and hastily setting the drink on a table as she began to walk away from him.

"I have to go."

"Go where?"

"Kagome left!"

Miroku looked towards the sofa. "Perhaps she was tired?"

Sango shook her head, sighing. "No. I have to go."

"Well, I'm going with you." He held Sango's arm as she made her way past their friends.

In the hall, Sango knocked on Kagome's door, but there was no answer. "Kagome!" she called.

"Maybe she's sick," Miroku suggested.

"I know what's wrong with her," Sango replied, knocking again. "Kagome, come on!"

"Sango?" Kagome's muffled voice replied from the other side of the door.

"It's me and Miroku."

"Oh... I was just going to bed." Miroku's eyebrows lifted at the very pronounced sniffle he heard.

Sango sighed. "Are you okay?"

Another sniffle. "I'm fine. Just tired."

"Alright. Good-night, then."

"'Night."

Miroku shot a questioning look at his wife. "May I ask what's going on?"

Sango scowled. "A certain hanyou, that's what."

Miroku nodded slowly. "Ah."

(*)(*)(*)

When Inuyasha and Kikyou emerged from his bedroom half and hour later, he saw the party had been cleared out, and only Sango and Miroku remained, seated on his couch. Neither of them said a word as he walked Kikyou to the door, muttering his good-bye to her before closing the door. "Okay, what's going on?" he asked before settling into a chair.

Sango gave him a dark look. "Have you done something to lead Kagome to think you might be interested in her?"

Inuyasha hadn't been expecting such a question; his jaw dropped. "What?"

Sango crossed her arms. "Answer the question."

"No! Why would I do something like that?"

She sighed heavily, sinking back into the couch cushions. "Shit."

"What's going on?"

"Sango seems to think Kagome has an interest in you," Miroku explained.

Inuyasha chuckled, shaking his head. "That's ridiculous; wouldn't ever happen."

"Why wouldn't it?" Sango wanted to know.

"Because," he replied with a shrug. "I ain't her type."

"Oh, she has a type? You know her so well?"

"I don't have to. You can tell just by looking at her. She's sweet, and innocent, and girls like her think guys like me are the biggest jerks on earth. Ask her."

"Then, why'd she take off when you and Kikyou disappeared into your room?" Sango fired back.

He faltered, but recovered quickly. "Keh! She probably got sick from drinking so damn much."

Sango could tell by Inuyasha's surly expression that she was getting nowhere. "Whatever, Inuyasha. Just be careful, alright?" He didn't reply. "Take me home, Miroku?"

"Of course."

Inuyasha told his friends good-night, and had every intention of closing the door once they were gone, and going to bed. The mess his apartment had become could wait.

Sango's wrong, he told himself as his feet led him across the hall to Kagome's door. He put his hand to the wooden surface, his brow furrowed. His fingers trailed down, stopping on the door knob.

It turned in his hand.

"Stupid wench," he muttered, shaking his head in exasperation as he opened the door.

The apartment was dark as he walked in, but he could smell it.

Her tears.

Was it really because of me?

Inuyasha locked the door on his way out.

*******

Kagome-sama9- Haha, I loved your review. Kikyou's in it because... well... I love angst??

star555555528- Happy dances are cool. Thanks!

inuyashaloverr- Thanks so much. I usually don't like AU fics, but I had to try one.

IcHi-ChAn4EvA- Yes, there will be at least one lemon... At some point.