InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Savvy ❯ Chapter Twenty-Five ( Chapter 25 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Woot, I hate reality. Sorry for the lateness. And of course, I still don't own Inuyasha. I'm also very sorry for anyone that got "Crazy Bitch" stuck in their head. I feel your pain... (It's my best friend's ringtone. AUGH!) I have to go lay down; I rewrote this whole chapter in one sitting, and my back huuuurrrrrts.

*******

"Face Down" Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (thanks for the suggestion!)

"The Fragile" Nine Inch Nails

*******

"Are you sure you don't want me to pick you up?" Inuyasha asked yet again as the Chevelle stopped at the curb.

Kagome opened the door, smiling as she regarded Inuyasha's worried expression. "I'll be fine."

"You've never been on the subway before," he replied, dangerously close to pouting.

"I know, and it's something I need to get used to. Besides, there's no use in you making the trip twice. If traffic's bad, we'd both be late for work. I don't think Kagura would like that, do you?"

"Keh; she can't hurt me."

Kagome arched a brow at him, smirking. "I'll be fine."

He sighed. "Fine. Kiss me."

Grinning, Kagome followed the command, letting her lips brush slowly across Inuyasha's before he captured them, kissing her deeply. "Are you trying to keep me in the car?" she mumbled against his lips.

"I don't know... Is it working?" The combination of his husky voice and warm breath sent chills down Kagome's spine, and it was a struggle to tear herself away from him.

"You're bad," she giggled. He only smiled crookedly, revealing one pointed fang. "I'll see you later."

"Alright. Be careful," he reminded her.

(*)(*)(*)

Kagome was relieved when she stepped out of class nearly two hours later. Most of her fellow classmates had seen her kiss and Inuyasha, and while most of them had only teased her, Lindsay had wanted every last detail on Inuyasha, and Jonathan had acted very strangely, almost as if he were upset by the news that she had a boyfriend. He can't be jealous, Kagome told herself. We only went on one date.

"Kagome!"

Turning, Kagome smiled as she saw Jonathan racing to catch up with her on the sidewalk. "I nearly forgot," he panted, trying to catch his breath.

"Forgot?" she echoed.

"The auditions. I wrote the directions down for you." His eyes darted toward the street. "Is Inuyasha not picking you up?"

"No. I decided it was time I brave the subway."

"Are you sure?" he asked with a furrowed brow. "I could give you a ride."

"No, it's fine. About the auditions, though..." Kagome winced. "I don't think I'm going to go.”

She felt horrible as she watched Jonathan's face fall. "You're not? But you'd be great!"

Kagome worried her lip nervously. "I just really don't feel comfortable about it. I'd freeze up on stage, I know it," she told him. "Anyway, I've really been thinking of going back to school, so I need to focus on that."

Jonathan nodded. "That's understandable. Are you still coming to classes?"

Kagome's smile returned. "Yeah, for now. See you next time?"

"Definitely. Later!"

Watching Jonathan turn the other way, she heard the trill of his cell phone, and Kagome turned back the way she'd been walking, stopping at the corner to wait for a crossing signal. Knowing it would take less time to cut through the park, she cut through the foliage, sighing with pleasure at the reduced noise within the trees. She liked New York, but sometimes it was just so noisy.

"Kilala, you were great," she told her companion, who peeked out of her bag to blink sleepily. "Sorry you had to hide in there the whole time, though. We'll get you some fish later, okay?"

Kilala mewed in agreement, and Kagome laughed softly. The past few days had put her in a very good mood, even though she felt as thought she might be dreaming. Having known Inuyasha for the past four months, she would have never expected to find he was such a sweet guy. He'd always been caring, of course, though he'd been reluctant to show it. Ever since Monday, she felt like she was discovering a whole new side of him. She was surprised by how affectionate he could be, even though he still turned red when anyone teased them about dating. When they were alone, however, he nearly doted on her. She also found it very endearing that she'd had to ask him if he wanted to stay in her bed for the past two nights. She could tell it was taking a lot of effort for him to let his guard down around her, but he was coming around slowly.

Pulled from her thoughts by Kilala's sudden movement within the messenger bag, Kagome looked down to see the neko youkai bristling, a reedy growl coming from her as her eyes darted around.

"Kilala? Are you alright?" Kagome slowed her pace, looking around anxiously, and she felt instantly foolish for cutting through the park. The thick trees obscured her view from the street, making her feel very alone. It wouldn't have taken five more minutes to go around the block, she chastised herself.

Hearing the snap of a twig behind her, Kagome whirled around gasping, and she felt as if she were seeing the world through a very long tunnel as her eyes focused on Kouga.

Oh, no. No, no, no, she pleaded silently as her knees weakened, falling against each other.

"Kagome," Kouga greeted her, his calm voice completely at odds with the angry leer on his face.

"Kouga, what are you doing here?" she asked, straining to keep her voice steady, taking a step back as he neared her.

"I just wanted to talk to you," he replied with a shrug, and she skittered back more as he continued to approach. Kilala's growl grew in volume, deepening slightly.

"I think you're lying," she said, eyeing him suspiciously as she braced her feet to run. It would probably be a mistake, but she wasn't about to let him take off with her.

He smiled warmly, but it didn't reach his eyes, which were snapping with cold anger. "Why would I do something like that?" he asked, his voice almost kind.

Kagome pressed her lips into a thin line. "I don't know. Why would lie to me about being youkai?"

Kouga's brow quickly rose with surprise, but he composed himself, giving her an indulgent look which made her blood boil. "I didn't lie to you, Kagome. I was going to tell you. When the time was right."

Kagome narrowed her eyes. "Oh, really? Would that have been before or after you mated me?"

He crossed his arm, his brow darkening. "It might have been after. That should have been exactly what I did, Kagome. Then, you'd never have stepped foot here. It's my fault, I know, but I'm here to fix it. You don't have to live in that shitty apartment anymore, and you don't have to walk around with that half-breed's stench all over you."

Kagome lifted her chin, glaring defiantly at him. "I suppose it is your fault, Kouga, but you did me a favor, in the end. I like my 'shitty' apartment, and I like my job, and the friends I have now. As far my stench goes, maybe that should clue you in..." She swallowed the lump of fear in her throat before continuing. "I've found someone else."

She watched in paralyzed fascination as Kouga's eyes widened in shock, blazing furiously. "I won't ever go back to you, Kouga," she told him. "You need to go home, because I'm not going to run from you anymore."

"You... bitch," Kouga snarled.

After that point, everything seemed to happen at once; Kouga was suddenly right in front of Kagome, and his slap across her face knocked her to the ground, just as she heard Kilala hiss threateningly. The sound was followed by a rush of warm air that blew Kagome's hair from her face, and as she cradled her stinging cheek, a thundering roar sang through the air, causing her to flinch. She heard Kouga curse as she scrambled to get to her feet, grabbing her bag.

Looking over to see if Kouga was coming for her, Kagome cried out in shock, stumbling as she took in the scene before her. She suddenly remembered Inuyasha's words about Kilala.

("She ain't always so little...")

Staring in wonder at the transformed cat, Kagome's world tilted dangerously, and she put a hand to her forehead, kneading the skin there. I think he knocked me silly, she thought a little giddily as she dug around in her bag for her phone, stepping closer to the street. She had to call Inuyasha; she didn't want to leave Kilala on her own, and he could tell her what to do. Glancing over at her now enormous companion, she squealed breathlessly as she watched her evade an attack from Kouga's claws. She knew Inuyasha had given Kilala to her for protection, but she couldn't fathom the thought of just leaving her alone to battle it out with Kouga, who looked murderous at the moment.

(*)(*)(*)

Inuyasha was watching cartoons when his cell rang. Already having it in his hand, he flipped it open instantly. "Kagome?"

"Inuyasha?"

The panicked tone of her voice seemed to evaporate the air in his lungs. "What's wrong?" he asked, standing up. "Where are you?"

"The park, across the street? Inuyasha--" she yelped suddenly, and he heard a loud growl through the phone.

"Is that Kilala? Kagome?"

"Yes. Kouga's here, and--"

"Get away from there!" he barked, already out of his apartment, and sprinting upstairs to the roof.

"But Kilala--"

"She won't stop fighting until she knows you're safe, Kagome," he explained. "I want you to get out of there. Go somewhere, inside, and if he follows you, scream your fucking head off. I'm on my way."

"O-Okay." Glancing back at Kilala, Kagome hurried away from the fight as fast as her dizzy vision would allow.

"Kagome!" Kouga shouted, and she turned back once more to make sure he wasn't following. Kilala pounced, sending him to the ground, and she sighed shakily with relief as she continued toward the edge of the park.

"Are you out of there yet?" Inuyasha asked her, bounding from one roof to another fire escape, which served to launch him to the top of the much higher building.

"Almost," she replied. "Okay, yeah." Looking around at the pedestrians and heavy traffic, Kagome couldn't believe there were two youkai fighting not two hundred yards away. I guess that's why it's so easy for them to hide their nature, she thought as she jogged back across the street. We don't notice much; only what we want to.

"Kagome, where are you?" Inuyasha asked. "I'm almost there."

Already? "Almost where you dropped me off. I should--"

"Hey."

Gasping, Kagome turned toward the building fronts to see Inuyasha emerging from a very narrow alley. "Oh, thank kami," she sighed, walking toward him and flipping her phone shut.

His brow darkened as he studied her, and he cut the distance between them quickly, his eyes darting over her face as he growled. "...Inuyasha?"

"He hit you."

"Uh... yeah. I mean, I'm okay. Just a little dizzy."

Inuyasha didn't seem to hear her; he turned toward the park, seeming to bristle as his growl deepened.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome asked worriedly. She was distracted by the sight of Kilala bounding through traffic, once again in her smaller form. Smiling, Kagome caught the tiny cat in her arms, snuggling her. "I'm glad you're okay," she whispered.

"I'm going to kill him," Inuyasha spoke in a flat tone, his eyes expressionless. "Go inside, Kagome. There's a bookstore; just stay in there, okay?"

Grabbing his shoulder, Kagome tried to realize the seriousness of Inuyasha's statement. "You can't do that!" she cried, and when his eyes met hers, she shivered at the intensity behind them. He really meant to kill Kouga. "Inuyasha, I just want to go home, okay?"

"Why? So he can find you again?" His scowl deepened. "There's something I'm not getting here. I know it."

"What do you mean?" she asked, tucking Kilala safely into her bag once more.

"He knew where you were; there's no way he didn't."

Kagome hugged her arms closely to herself. "Well, he's probably been following me."

"I would have smelled him today." Growling once more, Inuyasha's tense posture faded. "His scent's fading. I won't be able to track him now." His eyes bored into hers. "Kagome, you know I have to find him. I'm not letting this happen again." His hand came up to trace the swollen redness of her cheek.

"But..."

"But nothing. He's been warned."

"You're really going to kill him?"

Looking down into Kagome's sorrowful eyes, Inuyasha felt his resolve falter. Didn't she see what had to be done? Of course she doesn't, he told himself. Why would she? She's innocent; she's probably never seen death. She just wants Kouga to leave her alone. If I kill him... she won't look at me the same, will she?

Deciding to change the subject, Inuyasha started to walk, and Kagome followed. "Look, there's got to be some way Kouga's finding you so easily," he told her, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Did anything happen in class?"

Kagome's brow furrowed as she remembered the last two hours. "Nothing I can think of," she told him, shrugging.

Inuyasha sighed with frustration as they neared the subway entrance. It was true that Kouga might have previously known about Kagome's acting classes, but they were held every day, and she only went once or twice a week; she had no set schedule, so he didn't think it was a coincidence that Kouga had been so close. Inuyasha had already caught one of his informants at the restaurant that night, and the guy had told him there was another. Damn. I should have made him tell me. He hadn't really been thinking too clearly that night, and he was paying for it now...

Kagome looked at Inuyasha in worry when he suddenly stopped in his tracks on the stairs that led down into the subway station. "Inuyasha?"

He held a finger up, gesturing for her to wait as his eyes took on a far away look. Seconds later, he sneered. "Fucking..." he trailed off in a grumble.

"What is it?"

"I'm an idiot, that's what," he told her, taking her by the hand as they continued to walk.

"I don't understand..."

"Did you talk to anyone at class?" he asked her.

"Well, yeah. Lindsay, and Jonathan, and--"

"What did you and Jonathan talk about?"

"Oh, well, mostly just the audition. I told him I wasn't going to go, and he seemed disappointed, but he was alright about it."

Inuyasha nodded curtly. "I want you to tell him you'll go."

It was Kagome's turn to stop. "...What?"

"You don't have to go; just tell him you're going to."

"But... why?"

Inuyasha's eyes softened as he looked at her. "Because I think he's working for Kouga."

Kagome's lips parted at Inuyasha's words as her eyes widened. Jonathan?

"I know you think he's a nice guy, and I might be wrong, Kagome, but he's the only thing I've got to on right now. He was around both times you've been out, and Kouga's found you. If I'm right, Kouga will show up at that audition."

Kagome didn't want to believe it, but she knew Inuyasha could be right. I hope he's not, though, she told herself.

(*)(*)(*)

Later that evening, Kagome was settled back on her couch, staring blankly at her television. Inuyasha hadn't wanted her to work after her run-in with Kouga, and Kagura had agreed. She wasn't dizzy anymore, but she did have a mild headache. Still, she would have much rather gone to work instead of being bored to tears. Reading hurt her eyes at the moment, and she was left with not much to do but wonder if Jonathan really was behind Kouga's appearances. She'd already called him and told him she'd changed her mind about the auditions. The directions were written on a piece of paper that was resting on her kitchen table for Inuyasha. If Kouga didn't show up there, she was going to feel horrible for lying to Jonathan.

Distracted from her thoughts by the ringing of her cell, Kagome looked at the caller I.D. with a smile. "Hi, Mama."

"Kagome, how are you?"

"I'm... okay," she replied, not really wanting to tell her mother about her day. She'd never told her exactly why she'd left home. While her mother had always known Kouga was overbearing, Kagome had never had the courage to confess about him hitting her.

"Just okay?"

"I've got a little headache. It's not a big deal. How have you been doing?"

"Just fine. We all miss you, though."

Kagome smiled. "I miss you all, too. How are Grandpa and Souta?"

"They're fine; Souta's got himself a girlfriend, I think," she said with a giggle, "but of course his lips are sealed about it."

"Of course."

"Anything interesting going on in your love life?" Mrs. Higurashi hinted heavily.

Kagome rolled her eyes. "Well... maybe."

"Did your neighbor finally ask you out?"

Kagome's eyes widened before she smiled. "How do you know everything?"

Mrs. Higurashi laughed. "It's my job, Kagome. I'm your mother. "Now, are you finally going to tell me all about this young man?"

Kagome's smile widened. "Well, let's see..."

(*)(*)(*)

Inuyasha closed up quickly that night, eager to get upstairs and see Kagome. He found her door unlocked, and instead of cursing about it, he smiled instead. She'd been expecting him.

He found her already in bed, the small lamp on her nightstand throwing dim light around the room. "Hey," he said as he took a seat next to her. "Feeling any better?"

"I'm fine now," she replied, closing her study book and laying it upon the nightstand. "I got those directions from Jonathan. The audition's on Sunday."

"Perfect. We can go out and celebrate afterwards."

Kagome smiled sweetly. "So... are you staying?"

Inuyasha smiled down at her. "I might."

She cocked an eyebrow at him. "Might?"

Grinning, Inuyasha kicked his shoes and socks off. His pants, shirt, and bandana soon followed, and he crawled in next to her, pulling her close. She sighed contentedly, nuzzling his shoulder. "I should have worked tonight," she said.

"Nope. You needed to rest."

"Nothing really happened to me, Inuyasha."

He pulled away enough to look into her eyes. "Something could have, and don't act like that bastard laying his hands on you is 'nothing.'"

"Just... promise me you won't do anything stupid?"

Inuyasha sighed. "Killing him wouldn't be stupid," he replied. "But I won't do it." He didn't miss her slight sigh of relief. "I called Sessoumaru earlier. He's going to go with me, and if we find Kouga, we'll handle it. He'll be on a plane to Tokyo." Inuyasha didn't think it wise to mention that Kouga would probably be put on that plane on a stretcher; he'd be breathing, and that's all she needed to know.

"And you won't hurt Jonathan?"

"I'm not going to hurt a human," he told her before snickering. "If I find out he's behind this, though, I'm definitely going to scare the life out of him."

"You're such a pig," she told him.

He scoffed. "Dog, bitch, dog."

"I am not a bitch!" she laughed, trying to look offended.

Inuyasha reached over, turning the light out before he leaned over to nip at her neck. "Are you sure about that?" he whispered, his tongue darting out to taste her skin, and he smiled as she gasped, the fingers that rested on his arm twitching.

Finding her lips, Inuyasha kissed her slowly, letting her deepen the touch by finding his tongue with her own. The smooth friction ignited his desire instantly. He'd wanted to let her rest, but the last two nights had held nothing more than long, incredible kissing sessions, and he was hungry to touch her again.

It was obvious that Kagome felt the same way when her fingers found his bare chest, burning a path down to the waist of his boxers. "Touch me, Kagome," he whispered against her lips before pulling on them with his own.

Inuyasha moaned as her hand encircled his hardening length, and in a frenzy, he sliced through the tank top she wore, his mouth latching onto her breast, teasing her nipple with quick strokes. Her back arched, and Inuyasha was sent reeling with want as her scent spiked, demanding more from him.

As Inuyasha pulled away from her touch, Kagome wondered if he'd changed his mind, but in the darkened room, she made out the form of his shadow, and felt him lift her hips as he began sliding her pants down her legs, along with her panties. "I-Inuyasha?" she mumbled.

"Ssh," he replied, tossing the clothing to the floor before he was crawling over her once more, kissing her gently, his long hair trailing over her skin and causing her to shiver. As one hand braced his weight above her, the other slipped over her hip, the claws grazing her skin before he found her wet folds, and Kagome bucked her hips, crying out. Inuyasha growled his pleasure against her neck, leaving a trail of kisses down her shoulder, and between her breasts. Impatient, he settled his weight on the bed, grabbing Kagome hips possessively as he licked and nipped the skin of her belly, delighting in her gasps for breath. He could wait no longer; he had to taste her.

Kagome sobbed as Inuyasha's tongue bathed the flesh of her thigh, so achingly close to where she burned for him. She tried to lift her hips, to beg from him with her body, but his hands gripped her hips more tightly, forcing her back to the mattress. Whining in frustration, Kagome's hands latched onto Inuyasha's ears, rubbing the fur softly, and he chuckled, sending bursts of air between her legs. "Are you trying to bribe me?" he whispered in a ragged voice. Her only reply was a keening moan, and Inuyasha smiled before running his tongue over her moistened lips.

She tasted like heaven, and his satisfied grunt was met with a broken wail from the girl, who tried to writhe from his touch, but he held her more firmly, his tongue delving deeper into her folds, sliding around the bundle of nerves that would bring her home, but he carefully avoided it for the moment, wanting only to taste as much of her as he could. His hands left Kagome's hips, leaving her free to move, and while one slid fingers through her liquid fire, the other found his throbbing length, and began to stroke.

Feeling Inuyasha growl against her center, Kagome's overtaxed senses noticed another rhythm traveling through the mattress springs, one not caused by her, and as Inuyasha's tongue teased her, sweeping over her clit with slow strokes, he groaned almost painfully, causing her to realize. He was touching himself.

Blushing furiously with the knowledge of what he was doing, a wave of heat shot through her, coating Inuyasha's tongue, and he growled once more, bending a finger to press his knuckle into her core as his other hand tugged insistently on his member with practiced strokes. Using more pressure with his tongue, Inuyasha tortured Kagome with his touch, and he smiled as her toes began to twitch, her nerves firing as she neared completion.

As her breath came in quick little pants and moans, Inuyasha pressed another knuckle against her as he quickened his rhythm with his other hand. Pausing in his ministrations, he nipped at the soft flesh of her thigh. "Kagome..." he growled smoothly, leaving wet kisses across her skin as she sighed unevenly. "I want to hear you." Placing one more gentle kiss on her leg, he surprised her a second later by removing his fingers and plunging his tongue inside of her, sweeping it up slowly as he devoured her, his fangs grazing her lips as he sucked on her sensitive bud, bringing her hips up from the bed as she cried out something that might have been his name. It didn't matter what she screamed; he knew the sound would bring him over, and he was right. Trembling, Inuyasha came, his tongue flicking rapidly over Kagome's clit as he did, and she actually did scream then, her hands clenching in his hair as she thrashed beneath him, coming undone. Inuyasha lapped up every drop between gasps for air, greedy for her essence.

As Kagome stilled beneath him, breathing unevenly, Inuyasha cleaned her, his touch softer than before. She was barely conscious as he left to clean himself off, and when he returned, he gathered her into his arms, kissing her brow. "You alright?" he whispered as he brought the blankets over them.

"Mm-hm," she answered, barely audible, and he knew she was nearly asleep. Smiling softly, he let her drift deeper.