InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Savvy ❯ Chapter Twenty-Six ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Sorry for the long wait AGAIN. Life is absolutely crazy. Drama, drama, babies and their daddies, you know the drill. Funny thing is, none of these are my problems! Blame my friends for the lateness, haha. I'm not happy with this chapter, but I couldn't seem to get it to work for me, either. And of course, Inuyasha does not belong to me.

*******

"Forgiven" Disturbed

"Broken" Seether (featuring Amy Lee)

*******

Sunday...

"Inuyasha, be still."

The pacing hanyou stopped, turning to pin his brother with a fierce glare. "This is fucking stupid."

"How so?" Sesshoumaru countered with a lifted brow, looking the very picture of calm as he sat against the ledge.

Inuyasha looked down from the roof they were currently perched on to see the low, brick building across the street, where the auditions were taking place. A black van had arrived in front of the structure ten minutes before, and the driver had never stepped out of the vehicle. Inuyasha knew who that van was for, and he was ready to go get answers. Sesshoumaru, however, wanted to wait and see if Kouga would show up.

"Why can't we just go down there and harass that Jonathan asshole? He'll tell us where the wolf is."

Sesshoumaru sighed lightly. "And suppose he doesn't know where Kouga is?"

Inuyasha growled low in his throat. "We'd find him."

"But it would be so much more convenient if he came to us, don't you agree?"

Inuyasha was in no mood to listen to logic; he wanted this over with, so he could return to Kagome. When he'd left, she'd been near tears, trying to hold them back for his sake. She couldn't understand why he felt the need to take care of Kouga on his own. He'd only allowed Sesshoumaru to come because he wasn't exactly sure what he might be getting into. If Kouga had youkai working for him as well, Sesshoumaru could take care of them while he dealt with the wolf. So far, though, only humans had entered the building, and there was no trace of Kouga. The audition seemed completely legit, and Inuyasha was growing more impatient by the moment. He knew it was possible that Jonathan was completely innocent. The only problem was, he didn't believe that at all.

Inuyasha's nose was alerted to the scent of Jonathan, and he looked to see him emerge from the building, looking left and right as he put a cell phone to his ear. Inuyasha had already instructed Kagome to say she was on her way if she received any phone calls. He hated involving her at all, but it wouldn't do for Kouga to not show his face because he thought she wasn't coming.

Watching him hang up, Inuyasha grunted as he saw the guy immediately dial another number in his phone. He was calling the fucking wolf, he just knew it. "Kouga ain't going to show up here," Inuyasha informed his brother.

"Why do you say that?" Sesshoumaru asked.

"Because. There's Jonathan, and there's a van. That van's for Kagome, and it's obviously there to take her somewhere else, jackass. All they're doing is waiting for her to show up."

"So, you honestly think they mean to abduct her in the middle of the afternoon?"

"Happens all the time," Inuyasha remarked with a shrug before his expression darkened. "And I'm sick of waiting; I'm going to get answers."

Sesshoumaru knew better than to try detaining his younger brother any longer, so he followed him instead, climbing quickly down a fire escape that led to the back parking lot of the building. From there, they walked to the street, crossing over and passing the parked van, which Sesshoumaru noted had only temporary tags.

Casing the building quickly, the brothers found one of the several back entrances unlocked. Inside was a darkened storage room of sorts that led into a long hall with dim lights. There were many doors in the hall, but Inuyasha didn't sense anyone behind them. Everyone seemed to be gathered toward the front of the building, and he wondered if he would be able to get Jonathan alone.

The hall ended at a short set of stairs, and Inuyasha heard many muffled voices nearby. "I think this is the stage," he told Sesshoumaru, who nodded briefly.

"How do you intend to find this boy?"

"He knows me. I'll just tell him I need to talk to him."

Stepping onto the stage, Inuyasha pushed back the thick stage curtain to see over two dozen people milling about the small auditorium. Scanning the crowd, he quickly found Jonathan, and waited to be spotted. The twerp seemed to be in charge of organizing everyone into groups of some sort, and it was a minute or two before he looked to the stage, his brow lifting in surprise when Inuyasha gestured for him to come up the stairs.

Looking confused, and more than a little wary, Jonathan stepped up onto the stage, following Inuyasha behind the thick curtain. "What'd you need?" he asked the hanyou as his eyes passed over Sesshoumaru, who still stood in the hall, the dim lighting making him look ominous to the young man.

"It's about Kagome," Inuyasha replied, drawing Jonathan's attention away from his brother.

"Well... she's not here," he said slowly, his eyes darting nervously between the two brothers.

"I know."

"Then... why are you here?"

Inuyasha smiled mirthlessly before backing Jonathan against the brick wall that encased the stage, filling his nose with the scent of fresh fear. "I want your cell phone."

Jonathan's brow furrowed deeply over his wide, blue eyes. "What? Why?"

"Just give me the fucking thing," Inuyasha ordered calmly, waiting for Jonathan to fumble the phone from his pocket. He handed it to Inuyasha with a shaking hand.

"Thank you," Inuyasha said politely, stepping back and flipping the device open to check the outgoing calls. Though Kouga's name was not listed, the last name on the phone was listed as nothing more than three dollar symbols. "Oh, so you're getting paid, too?" he mused quietly before pressing the call button and smirking at Jonathan's panic stricken expression.

"Hello?" a familiar voice answered.

Shaking his head, Inuyasha flipped the phone shut, taking in Jonathan's terrified face and loving every second of it. "Where is he?" he asked.

A look of surrender crossed Jonathan's features, and he sighed shakily, shaking his head. "I seriously don't know, man," he told Inuyasha. "He was supposed to come by when Kagome showed."

"Really? Then, what's the van for?"

"He sent it."

"So, what exactly were you getting paid for?" Inuyasha asked, crossing his arms in an attempt not the throttle Jonathan.

Looking guilty, Jonathan swallowed the lump of anxiety in his throat. "Well, uh... I was supposed to make sure to get her out back. He was going to get Kagome in the van, and pay me before he left."

Inuyasha nodded slowly. "Well, Jonathan, I suggest you quit this job. Now, or you're going to get hurt... By me, if you were wondering."

Jonathan nodded obediently.

"Now... I want you to do me a favor."

"Y-Yeah, sure."

Inuyasha's gaze was direct as he voiced his request. "Call Kouga, and tell him Kagome's here."

"But--" Jonathan began in a wavering voice.

Inuyasha's thinning patience snapped. "Now," he growled.

"A-Alright," Jonathan nearly squeaked as he took the phone from Inuyasha.

(*)(*)(*)

Kagome looked to the clock on her VCR again as she sat curled up on the couch, clutching her favorite pillow.

2:42. Three whole minutes had passed since the last time she'd checked it.

"Are you sure you don't want something to eat?" Rin asked from the kitchen, where she was exploring the contents of Kagome's cabinets. Sesshoumaru had brought Rin along when he'd arrived to leave with Inuyasha, and while Kagome was grateful for the company, she couldn't force herself to stop worrying over Inuyasha.

"I'm not hungry," Kagome replied, staring blankly at the television. Moments later, she was brought out of her daze, squealing as Rin pounced on the couch cushion next to her, sending Kilala running for cover into the bedroom.

"Sweetie, you have got to cheer up!" Rin cried, sitting back a little. "I know you're scared, but there's no reason to be. Our boys will be fine. They'll be back in no time, and then we'll all go out and have some fun, okay?"

Kagome studied Rin's face carefully. "You're... really not worried, are you?" she asked.

Rin shrugged. "Why would I be?"

"Well... aren't you afraid Sesshoumaru will get hurt?"

Rin snorted. "By Kouga? Hardly." Her expression softened. "I understand why Kouga scares you, Kagome, but he's not really much compared to Inuyasha and Sesshy."

"He's... not?"

Rin shook her head. "Kouga's a wolf youkai. As far as youkai go, he's pretty high up on the food chain, but he's really acting kind of stupid by trying to take Inuyasha on. I'm not saying you're not worth it," Rin continued with a smile, "but Inuyasha's got a few genes on his side."

"Genes?" Kagome echoed.

"Yeah. Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru's dad ruled the youkai in Japan for a long time. Inuyoukai are probably the strongest line out of all of them, at least physically. Sesshoumaru says it's because their blood was never 'diluted,' at least not until Inuyasha, but I think he just says that to be a jerk. Anyway, Inuyasha's probably stronger than Kouga, even if he is hanyou."

Kagome absorbed this information in silence before letting out a long sigh. "I just want him to come home."

"He will," Rin assured her, patting her arm.

"I hope you're right."

"I know I am. Look, why don't we find you something to wear for tonight?"

"But I don't even know where we're going," Kagome replied.

"Oh, you don't?" Rin's eyes widened slightly, and Kagome narrowed hers in suspicion.

"I knew something was going on!" she cried, feeling suddenly victorious as Rin paled. "Ever since I asked what we were doing this weekend, Inuyasha's been acting funny. You know, don't you?"

"...I might," Rin admitted, biting her lip. "But don't make me tell!" she wailed. "Inuyasha wanted to surprise you!"

"Does everyone else know?" she asked.

Rin nodded reluctantly. "It's just... Sesshy got some... tickets for... something, from a client of his. So, now we're all going. It'll be fun, I promise."

"Tickets?" That could be anything, Kagome thought.

"Yes," Rin told her, crossing her arms defiantly. "And I'm not telling you anything else."

"Fine," Kagome retorted, trying not to giggle at Rin's lame attempt at looking aloof. It looked like a very bad impersonation of her husband.

(*)(*)(*)

This isn't right.

Kouga had never been one to ignore his instincts, and as he stood across the street from the building where Kagome was supposed to be waiting for him, every nerve in his body was screaming for him to flee.

He couldn't locate Kagome's scent at all, but her dog's was easy enough to find, which didn't make sense. The little punk he'd hired to help him out had called, however, telling him Inuyasha had dropped Kagome off, and that she was already in the van out back, ready to go. Kagome's scent was something he knew like the back of his hand, and it bothered him that he couldn't trace it.

Unless...

Kouga shook his head angrily, growling. There was no way Kagome would mate a half breed like Inuyasha. Even if she had, her scent wouldn't have changed that much.

At least, he didn't think so.

Passers-by on the street gave Kouga a wide berth as his growl increased in volume, his intense blue eyes fixed on the entrance across the street.

He knew Kagome had changed a lot since she'd left Tokyo. He'd seen it in her clothes, the way she carried herself, and especially in her choice of a job. Kouga still couldn't believe, however, that she would lower herself enough to take a hanyou to bed with her.

She doesn't know anything about youkai, an inner voice reminded him. Not until that mutt wagged his tongue, and there's no telling what lies he fed her.

I'll kill him.

Kouga crossed the street.

(*)(*)(*)

After the driver of the van had been instructed to drive to the back parking lot, Inuyasha had knocked him unconscious, and had been waiting in the back of the vehicle ever since. Sesshoumaru had remained inside, knowing his brother wouldn't appreciate any interference.

Inuyasha grinned in the darkness of the van as he sensed Kouga's quick approach. He knows I'm here, he thought, and he's so pissed off he doesn't even care. This will be cake.

As soon as Inuyasha saw a sliver of light between the cargo doors of the van, he launched himself out of it feet first, landing a direct blow against Kouga's chest before using the momentum to vault backwards, landing on his feet.

Kouga sprang up from the ground, growling menacingly. "Where's Kagome?" he demanded.

"That's really not something you need to worry about," Inuyasha countered as he circled the wolf. "I am, though."

Kouga snorted as he followed Inuyasha's movements. "You think you can take me, half breed?"

"Third time's a charm," he replied, his voice not betraying the rage he felt just from looking at Kouga. He wasn't going to lose the fight by losing his calm. He'd wait for Kouga to make that mistake.

Kouga made the first move, just as Inuyasha had expected, and when the wolf ducked to spear him in the stomach, Inuyasha jumped, planting his feet on Kouga's shoulders and using them to spring backwards, sending Kouga to the ground on his face.

Flipping his body in mid-air, Inuyasha's feet met with the brick wall of the theater, and as Kouga stood, he attacked, sending both of them to the ground. Kouga took the opportunity to sink his claws into Inuyasha's arms as the hanyou somersaulted over him. They were on the ground for only an instant before they were both on their feet, and Inuyasha forced himself not to grimace at the pain in his arms. He knew it was best that Kouga had drawn blood first; the smell of it would only infuriate him more.

"You're bleeding, mutt," Kouga remarked, a cocky grin on his face as the two men began to circle each other once more.

"That's alright," Inuyasha replied calmly, with a smile to match. "Kagome will patch me up when I get home."

Inuyasha chuckled as the smile was effectively wiped from Kouga's face, and he was ready when the wolf sprinted at him. Instead of stepping out of the way, Inuyasha met Kouga's attack head on, slicing him across the face, and sending blood into his eyes, nearly blinding him before spinning himself around to land a kick across the wolf's jaw.

As Kouga fell to the ground, Inuyasha only had a moment to wonder if the fight was over before his opponent was back up, rushing him once more.

Inuyasha took to the air, narrowly avoiding another attack from Kouga's claws. He knew he could end the battle quickly, but there was the chance of killing Kouga in the process. While it was a tempting thought, the image of Kagome's saddened face kept him from acting on his desire.

Kouga's attacks came faster as he lost his control, and while Inuyasha was able to avoid most of them, the wolf did manage to land several blows, the last of them nearly crushing Inuyasha's jaw as he was thrown back against the side of the van, leaving a large dent before he fell to the ground.

"Fuck," Inuyasha grunted as he stood, trying to ignore the pain as he fought to catch his breath. Kouga was in a frenzy, coming at him again, and Inuyasha managed to throw him off before hopping up to the roof of the van. I've gotta end this now, he told himself, or we'll be here all night. He's not going to stop until I make him.

As Kouga bent low to the ground, preparing to jump, Inuyasha readied himself, his eyes catching every movement his enemy made, and when Kouga leapt into the air, Inuyasha ended the fight.

"Sankon Tetsusou!"

Inuyasaha watched as Kouga's eyes widened with shock, the blood flying in all directions as the blows landed across the wolf's body, slicing skin and sending Kouga to the ground. Inuyasha jumped down from the van just as one of the back doors of the theater opened, revealing Sesshoumaru.

"Did you kill him?"

"No," Inuyasha replied, walking closer to Kouga's barely conscious form. "I suggest you call your lackeys and get him out of here."

Sesshoumaru nodded. "He'll be on a plane within the hour."

"Good." Wiping the blood from his nose with the back of his hand, Inuyasha fished his car keys from the pocket of his jeans. "I'm going home."

"I'll see you there shortly," his brother replied, his cell phone already at his ear.

As Inuyasha walked away, Sesshoumaru stared down at the broken body of the wolf. They would drug him as a precaution once he was restrained, but he really didn't think Kouga would be moving for several days.

"Damon, have the plane ready," Sesshoumaru spoke into his cell. "No, the flight won't be to Japan..."

Sesshoumaru had agreed with Inuyasha on sending Kouga back to Tokyo, but what Inuyasha didn't know wouldn't hurt him, or Kagome for that matter. In the past two days, he'd been on the phone making some difficult arrangements.

He wouldn't dishonor his brother by killing Kouga, but he also had no intention to send him to Japan, allowing him to find his way back into the country as soon as his wounds had healed.

After finding some very old acquaintances, Sesshoumaru had found the perfect home for Kouga.

"You'll be flying to Uruguay," he informed his employee. "You'll make the drop there, and return here. There will be a team waiting for you there."

After that, Kouga would be on his way to Antarctica.

(*)(*)(*)

Inuyasha walked quietly through the hall on the way to his apartment, hoping to get a shower and clean himself up before Kagome could see him. His shirt was soaked with blood and shredded to pieces, and he could feel the bruising on his face.

He had his door open when he heard Kagome's swing open as well. Sighing slightly, he turned to look at her, and cursed himself as he watched her eyes widen, filling with tears.

"Kagome--"

A choked sob from her interrupted him as Kagome ran to him, stopping short just before she reached him, and her hands fluttered nervously over his face and arms, afraid to touch him.

"Kagome, I'm okay," he told her, his voice gentle but strained with guilt. He wanted to hold her, but the last thing he wanted to do was stain her clothes with his blood. He'd done this for her, but she hadn't wanted it.

"You're not okay!" she cried angrily, leaning against his chest and ruining her shirt as she broke into more sobs.

Hearing a slight shuffle, Inuyasha looked past Kagome to see Rin in the doorway, a questioning expression on her face. He nodded to let her know Sesshoumaru was alright, and she smiled softly, returning the gesture before Inuyasha pulled Kagome into his living room, closing the door.

Kagome was inconsolable as Inuyasha smoothed her hair, whispering comforting words to her. Several minutes passed before she would let go of him, and she was immediately pulling his shirt up, blinking her tears away as she tried to get her tears under control.

"Kagome, don't," he pleaded, stepping away from her to peel his tattered shirt off. Kagome's eyes locked onto the deep gashes in his arms, and her breath hitched as her hand covered her mouth, her face crumpling once more.

Inuyasha couldn't take another second of seeing her this way, knowing that she was blaming herself. Taking her hand, he led her into his bathroom, where he started his shower. Kicking his shoes and socks off, he tried not to wince at the soreness of his muscles before his pants and boxers were tossed to the floor as well.

"Come here," he whispered, taking the quivering girl into his arms. Swallowing his tears, Inuyasha pulled Kagome's shirt over her head before unhooking the clasp of her bra, letting the straps fall down her arms. She started to unbutton her jeans, but Inuyasha lightly pushed her hands away as he did it himself, hooking his thumbs inside the waist of her underwear before sliding them down her legs, along with the jeans. She stepped out of them, kicking them to the side before she took his hand, stepping into the shower. Under the hot spray, Inuyasha tucked Kagome's head under his chin, holding her tightly. "It's over now," he told her softly as she continued to cry.

"Is he...?"

"No, he's alive."

"Alright," she said shakily, clutching him more tightly before she pulled away to look up at him, and he was surprised by the very definite anger in her eyes. "If you ever... ever do something like this again..." She left the threat hanging between them, and Inuyasha let his forehead rest against hers as the hot water loosened the tense muscles in his back.

"I won't," he told her. "Not unless someone's trying to hurt you. Then, you can expect the same."

"But--"

Taking her face in his hands, he kissed her softly, cutting off her words. "Kagome, don't expect me not to protect you. If that's what you want, this has to end now, because I won't sit and do nothing."

Kagome's lip trembled as she looked into his eyes, and Inuyasha felt a quick stab of fear go through his chest before she was kissing him again, her anger and fear evident in the pull of her lips on his. Letting out a soothing growl, his hands slipped into her dampened hair as he dominated the kiss, sliding his tongue past her lips.

As her anger with him ebbed, their kisses grew softer, gentler, until Kagome sighed against his lips, pulling away to rest her head against his chest. "I don't want you to get hurt," she whispered, her fingers trailing down his back along with the water.

He smiled softly. "Then, you now how I feel," he replied.

Kagome nodded. "I guess I do."

(*)(*)(*)

Rin stood from the couch when she heard another set of footsteps in the hall, and she quickly trotted to the doorway to see Sesshoumaru approaching.

Smiling, Rin threw herself into her husband's arms, and as always, he caught her. "I was so scared," she sighed, burying her nose in his silver hair as he picked her up effortlessly, letting her lock her legs around his waist.

Sesshoumaru allowed himself a slight smile as he embraced his diminutive wife. No matter how many times he left to attend to business that had nothing to do with his career, and everything to do with his station, Rin always worried herself sick until he returned. "I promised you, didn't I?" he asked quietly as he carried her into Kagome's apartment.

"You always promise me," she sighed against his neck as she closed her eyes. "I'm just always very happy when you don't break it."













< br>