InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ A New Home and An Old Problem ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

{Disclaimer: This is the last time you'll see this in this fic. Inuyasha doesn't belong to me. There, happy now?}

SF: Have I told you guys the great news? I didn't? Oh, well let me tell you then! Dark Neko-Chan, the resident artist for most of the fics, has graced us with another beauty. This one is of Sesshoumaru himself as Chance. It's on Mediaminer, so go check it out! Don't forget to review for the artwork too!

Second Chance

Chapter Three: A New Home and a Old Problem

"Somebody help me!" Kagome panted as she stumbled into the waiting room. She sank to her knees as the nurses surrounded her, struggling to keep the dog in her arms.

"I don't think it's breathing!"

The dog's condition worsened on the way to the hospital, it's breaths coming at a shallow pace and it's nose becoming warm to the touch. Kagome talked to it, trying to keep it awake in fear that if it slept it wouldn't wake up again. She vouched to carry the dog inside instead of running in for help, feeling as if he might slip away if she left him alone.

Kagome watched as 4 nurses struggled to get the massive hound on a stretcher, then followed as they wheeled him to the nearest empty office. A woman ran in moments later, reaching to shake Kagome's hand as two nurses moved the canine out of the room.

"I'm Dr. Pavalo," she said as Kagome took her hand and shook it. "Are you the dog's owner?"

Kagome shook her head. "I accidentally ran over him. I didn't see him in the road." Tears welled up in her eyes. "Is he going to be ok?"

"I'm sure he will be, but I can't say for certain until I take a closer look at him. Do you know who his owner is?"

"No, I don't. He doesn't have on a collar either."

Dr. Pavalo nodded her head in thought. "I see. Wait here."

Kagome sat down on one of the nearby chairs and waited for Dr. Pavolo to come back. Her hands wrung nervously in her lap as Kagome's mind whirled. 'Oh God, please let it be alright,' she silently prayed. 'I didn't mean to do it. I'll do anything for it to be ok.'

Dr. Pavalo came back in the room moments later, dressed in a green surgical gown. She smiled at Kagome warmly, then sat down beside her.

"He's not hurt too badly," she said, watching as Kagome seemed to beam hope. "He's lost a lot of blood, and he's unconscious, but he's a healthy dog. We just need to do a couple of X-rays to make sure he doesn't have any broken bones or the like. But we've managed to stop the bleeding."

"Thank goodness," Kagome breathed. Dr. Pavalo reached inside one of the cabinets, tossing Kagome one of the lab coats inside. "What's this for?"

"You're shirt is a little stained. I thought you might want to change."

Kagome stared down at her bloodstained shirt and sighed. There was no way to save the garment, since the blood smeared completely over the front of it. "Thank you."

Dr. Pavalo turned her back so Kagome could change. "You're quite welcome. We do still have a problem."

Kagome tossed her old shirt into the chair. "What kind of problem is that?" she asked as she buttoned up the coat. "You can turn around now."

Dr. Pavalo did so, handing Kagome a file she brought in with her. "This is the total cost for his bill."

Kagome read it over, nodding as she did so. "Uh-huh."

"We called the animal shelter to see if they could take him in, thus paying for his care, but they said that they couldn't."

"Well, I'll be glad to foot the bill," Kagome told her. "It was my fault after all."

Dr. Pavalo sighed. "If only that were the only problem. You see, the shelter doesn't have any room for him. A dog his size would require somewhere to roam freely and they just can't afford him at the moment."

Kagome nodded. "Then what will you do?"

"If we can't find someone to adopt him, I'm afraid we'll have to put him to sleep. It would be a shame too. He's such a lovely dog."

Kagome sat down, the guilt that crept on her when this started washing over her with a vengeance. 'He wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for me,' she thought sadly. 'I just can't let him die. But…do I want a dog?' His face appeared in the back of her mind's eye, the soulful golden eyes glaring at her intently. She shook her head. 'No, I can't let that happen.'

"I want him."

Dr. Pavalo glanced at her curiously. "Are you sure? A dog like him is a big responsibility. Are you sure you have room for him?"

Kagome nodded. "I'm sure."

Dr. Pavalo shook her hand, a wide grin spread across her face. "I knew you would say that! If you would, go up to the nurses' station and sign adoption papers. Payment plans and such are handled there."

"Where are you going?" Kagome asked as Dr. Pavalo walked out of the room.

"I'm going to check on your dog."

The next morning…

Sesshoumaru opened his eyes slowly, attempting to adjust to the florescent lights around him. He lay on his left side, his face to the wall beside him. His entire right side burned like fire, and his head seemed a tad foggy.

'What happened?' he asked as he raised his head to look around the room. His memory came slowly as his mind registered where he was. 'I'm at the vet. But how did I get here?'

His nose picked up the medicinal smells in the room, the alcohol and antiseptic, but one scent didn't match his surroundings. It was relaxing on his already frayed nerves, the aroma of jasmine and vanilla orchid seemed to be healing him more than whatever procedure he went through earlier. He turned toward the scent, snarling slightly when his eyes fell on the same girl who ran over him.

'Why is she here?' he wondered vehemently, his eyes blazing in anger. He watched her as she leaned against a nearby counter, her head resting quietly on her arms and her eyes closed. 'Is she…she's sleeping. I wonder how long I've been here. And why is she still here?'

Another woman came in, nudging the girl lightly on the shoulder. "Miss Higurashi?"

'Ah, so that's the wench's name.'

"Kagome, wake up."

Said Kagome blinked, then fully opened her eyes, startling Sesshoumaru in their brilliance. Eyes as deep blue as the crescent that once adorned his forehead fluttered opened, and she beamed a sunny smile at the woman. "Good morning."

"Have you been here all night?" the woman asked.

'She stayed all night? Leaned against that metal cabinet like that?'

"Yeah," Kagome groaned, stretching a little to get the kinks out of her limbs. "How is he?"

The woman, now known to Sesshoumaru as the doctor, shrugged playfully. "Perhaps I should ask you." Kagome giggled. "Well, he did whine a little last night-"

'This Sesshoumaru does not whine.'

"But he seems fine now," Kagome concluded. The doctor nodded then raised the stethoscope to her ears, listening as she inspected Sesshoumaru's heartbeat. Sesshoumaru flinched lightly from the cold metal, starting to growl from behind the muzzle.

"Now now, you be good," the doctor warned. "I'm only trying to help."

Sesshoumaru snorted, but quieted. The doctor gaped in amazement. "Wow. You have one smart puppy on your hands." Sesshoumaru glared, considering what she just said an insult. Kagome saw the look on his face and giggled.

"I don't think he likes that," she told the doctor with a shrug.

"You know, I don't think he does either." Both women fell into laughter, completely irking Sesshoumaru to no end. He was greatly relieved when their laughter finally calmed enough for his sensitive ears, though Kagome's laughter didn't seem as bad as the doctor's.

"Have you decided to name him yet?" the doctor asked. Kagome shrugged. "I don't know what to name him. I mean, until him I've only had cats."

Sesshoumaru snorted again, the disgust plainly understood by both women. They laughed again, the laughter becoming rambunctious when Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes. He decided to ignore them until the doctor said

"How about you name him Chance?"

"Chance…" Kagome mused, her laughter extinguished. "Why Chance?"

"Because you've given him a chance at life again. You know you didn't have to adopt him. He might not be the same after this."

'That's what she thinks,' Sesshoumaru disagreed, but he couldn't help but notice the guilt in Kagome's scent. 'Is she sorry? Is that why she adopted me?' He mentally shook himself, concluding that he didn't care why she adopted him. It was her fault he was in this, so of course it would be she that would have to take care of him.

"Chance," Kagome repeated. "I like it. What do you think?" she asked Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru laid his head back down on the gurney, a clear sign that he was ignoring her. "Alright then. I'll take that as a yes. Chance it is. When can he go home?"

The doctor sighed, pulling the stethoscope out of her ears. "Sunday morning."

"Tomorrow? Alright then." She stood up, and it was then Sesshoumaru noticed the lab coat she wore. 'I don't remember her wearing that,' he thought, watching as she reached down for a reddened piece of white silk. 'Is that her shirt?' he sniffed, recognizing the coppery scent of his blood on the garment. 'She didn't even complain,' he thought.

He vaguely remembered her picking him up, the feat amazing him as she stumbled over the curb. The tears she didn't know she was releasing rolled down her cheeks and into his fur. He sniffed himself until he found them, right behind his shoulder blade. They smelled so sad, so regretful, that it surprised Sesshoumaru to find such emotion in a scent. Her pretty face echoed that regret too, and something like pain at what she'd done to him.

Sesshoumaru rested once again, listening to what was left of the doctor's and Kagome's conversation. "Yeah, I'll be back here later on. Is there anything I can bring him?"

"Well," the doctor began, scratching an eyebrow. "You could bring him some small toy, like a stuffed animal or something."

Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes, resting his head on his paws. 'Like I need any such distraction.' He watched as Kagome nodded, then crossed the room. "Can I touch him?" she asked the doctor. The doctor shrugged again. "As long as he has that muzzle on he can't bite him, but you have to ask him for permission."

Kagome smiled down at him, and immediately he felt the pain in his side lessen. "May I rub your ears Chance?"

Sesshoumaru turned his head, ignoring her once again. Kagome took it as permission and reached out, scratching behind his ears. Sesshoumaru's eyes slid closed instantly, a deep purr escaping from his throat. Kagome held back a laugh as it vibrated through her hand to her chest, resounding inside it like the sound waves from a drum. Her hand smoothed the fur on the back of his head, instantly stopping the rumbling.

"I'll be back-hey, wait a moment," Kagome said, leaning into Sesshoumaru's face. "What's this?" she asked, tracing the smudge mark on his forehead.

The doctor leaned in as well, overloading Sesshoumaru's nose. He sneezed just as Kagome rubbed her finger across his left cheek. "They look like markings of some sort," the doctor concluded.

"In his fur?" Kagome questioned, earning yet another shrug. "I honestly don't know. There are breeds that have markings in their fur, but never like this. It's unusual, that's for sure."

Kagome nodded, patting Sesshoumaru's head affectionately. "You sure are an unique puppy, right Chance?"

Sesshoumaru turned away at the dreaded nickname. Moments later Kagome lightly smacked her forehead. "Oh, that's right. You hate being called that. Oh well." She patted his head again, then walked out the door. "I'm going home for a change of clothes. You be good for Dr. Pavalo Chance."

Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes once again, but barked once to show he hear her.

*

Kagome picked up her cell phone the instant she got into the car, dialing her home owner's number. "Hi, Charles," she said as he picked up the phone. "This is Kagome Higurashi, you know, number 19?"

She waited for him to acknowledge her. "Yes, that's me. I'm glad you liked the cake I sent you. Um, I have a slight problem. Is there a clause against owning a dog?" She nodded once again.

"$200, then an extra $100 every month. I see."

Kagome sighed. 'This means I'll have to work a little overtime, that's all. It's worth it to keep Chance. Or at least he'd better be.' "When should I turn the $200 in?"

Another pause. "Alright then. I will. Thanks a lot." She hung up, then dialed Sango's number. "Hey!" she chirped when Sango picked up. "How are you?"

"Good good. That's great. Guess what?" Kagome paused for dramatic effect. "I got a dog!"

A shriek could be heard on the other end, and it took everything Kagome had to keep from swerving off the road. "Thank you Sango! You nearly caused an accident!" She nodded at Sango's apology. "Well, yeah. I kinda had to. I hit the poor thing after I took you home."

Kagome scowled at the phone moments later. "No, I didn't do it on purpose!" She sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just a little wired. Yeah. I get to bring him home Sunday. You want to get him with me?"

Kagome smiled. "Alright then. I'll pick you up then. I've got to go, I'm in my driveway. See you later." She hung up once again, grabbed the bloody blanket and shirt from the back. She got out, turned on her alarm and pulled her keys out of her purse as she walked up her walkway. As she rounded the corner by the rose bush, she gave a small shriek.

"Oh!" she gasped as she remembered who the man leaning against her door was. "I'm so sorry about that Mr. Naraku. He waved her apology aside, finally standing to the side so she could open her door.

"My apologies, I assure you. It was my fault," he said as Kagome struggled to get the key in the lock. "Are you having some trouble?" he asked, reaching for the keys. Kagome quickly shook her head, trying to get the key in once again. Her hand shook terribly, as it always did when Naraku cornered her like this. He loomed over her shoulder, sniffing her hair as he leered at her.

"What is that perfume you're wearing?" he asked, his hand running a light finger through her hair. Kagome shook it off, and mentally cheered when the key went in and the lock tumbled. ''Bout tucking fime!' she cheered mentally as she pushed her door open.

"It's called 'Blood of Dog'," she answered, not expecting the smile on Naraku's face.

"Charles told me about that. So you've got a dog, huh?" He leaned closer to her, enjoying the frightened look in her eyes. "It would seem that dogs are the rage around here, especially with pretty girls. I wonder why."

"Who knows? But I couldn't resist the little pooch," Kagome told him, wishing she were impolite enough to just slam the door in his face and go inside like she wanted. Naraku's quirked an eyebrow. "Little, you say? Why, a little dog wouldn't be much protection."

'Did I say Chance was little?' she asked herself, picturing the gigantic dog still at the doctor's office. 'I guess I did, didn't I?' She smiled suddenly, not able to resist the urge to run with the assumption. 'After all, he assumed that Chance is little. And you know what they say about assumptions…' Kagome focused when Naraku started speaking again, his finger stroking her cheek.

"You would need someone to protect the little dear," he whispered, his smile widening suggestively. "I'm sure I could find the time…"

"That's ok Mr. Naraku. I wouldn't want to trouble you. Now if you'll excuse me," Kagome said, finally stepping over her threshold to the inside of her home. "I have to hurry. I'm expected somewhere."

"But of course," Naraku commented, stepping aside so her glass outer door could close. "Have a great day Kagome."

"You too, Mr. Naraku," Kagome called as he walked down the sidewalk. She breathed a sigh of relief as she closed the door, sliding down it to the carpet below. "God, I hate that guy," she said with a shudder. She leaned back against the door, listening to the silence around her. "Perhaps Chance will be worth that extra money after all," she said with a grin.

Sunday Afternoon…

"OK Kagome, where to first?" Sango asked as she got in the car. Kagome sighed as they sped off, mentally going over everything they needed to bring Chance home.

"I need to go to PetSmart first, and get a collar and leash," she finally said. "Then you'll get to meet Chance."

Sango sighed, leaning back as Kagome navigated the city traffic. "Are you sure you want a dog?" she asked as Kagome pulled into the store parking lot. Kagome shrugged. "I'm not, but it kinda seems like he's supposed to be mine, you know. At least I get that feeling."

Kagome ran inside, then came out minutes later with the collar and leash. She started the car once again, this time turning down the road that lead to the vet's office. "Oh, and one more thing: Chance is smart."

"Sure sure, that's what all pet owners say about their dogs. What, does he know how to sit and speak already?"

Kagome shook her head. "He can do all that, but I'm not talking about that. It's almost like he understands what you say."

Sango shook her head as Kagome pulled into a parking space. She grabbed the bag with the leash and collar inside, then walked inside the office with Kagome. After checking in, the nurse at the front desk lead them to a private waiting room.

"Why are we here?" Kagome wondered out loud as Sango started to read one of the magazines.

"I suppose this is hospital procedure, Sango told her. They waited a few minutes more, then Dr. Pavolo appeared in the doorframe.

"Sorry for the wait," she said as she shook Kagome's hand. "Chance is ready to go." She looked around suddenly, then scratched her head. "Where did he go?" She peered around the corner, giggling slightly. "Come on Chance."

Sesshoumaru finally padded into the room. White gauze was wrapped around his midsection, and he looked extremely unhappy about it. Sango gasped as he sat down beside Dr. Pavalo.

"Oh my God! I said get a dog Kagome, not Mighty Dog!" Kagome elbowed Sango in the ribs, then turned to Dr. Pavalo. "How is he?"

"He's well on the way to recovery," Dr. Pavalo answered, giving Sesshoumaru's head a heavy-handed pat. "He's healing quite fast for such an injury. I'd give him a month at the least."

'That's what she thinks,' Sesshoumaru thought with a mental snort.

"He's a finicky eater, so you'll need this," she handed Kagome a slip of paper with a recipe for dog food on it. "It's all natural, but he eats it better than the dried or the canned dog food you find in the store. As for care, change his bandage at least once a day." She patted Sesshoumaru's head again, this time ruffling his ears. "We had to shave his midsection earlier. He wasn't happy about that, I assure you. Anyway, just keep him comfortable and warm, and make sure he doesn't move around too much. That's it." Dr. Pavolo nudged Sesshoumaru forward. "Go on and say thank you Chance."

Sesshoumaru glared back at her, but decided to go ahead and play along. He gracefully walked to Kagome's feet, sitting before her and looked up at her expectantly. Sango stared in disbelief. "Is he supposed to be that big?" she asked Dr. Pavalo.

Dr. Pavalo shrugged. "Great Danes are that big."

"But he doesn't look like a Great Dane."

"That's right, he doesn't. His nose is too pointy to be a Great Dane. Perhaps he's a Great Dane/Collie mix. Who knows? Anyway, you three should be on your way. Chance's first checkup is in two weeks. The nurse at the front desk will call you and remind you of the day."

"Thanks Dr. Pavalo," Kagome said as she walked out the door. Dr. Pavalo turned back and smiled. "All in a day's work, my dear. You two enjoy each other."

Kagome smiled as Dr. Pavalo finally disappeared. She then smiled down at Sesshoumaru, who still sat at her feet before her. "How are you buddy?" she asked, raising her hands to his nose so he could sniff them. Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes, but did as she bid, sniffing the palms of her hands delicately before standing up and walking over to Sango. He sniffed her hands as well, then returned to Kagome's side. He nudged her hip gently, then leveled his head toward the door. Kagome nodded in understanding, reaching to Sango for the bag in her hands.

"I know you're ready to get out of here, but before we do," Kagome pulled out the collar and leash, holding it so Sesshoumaru could see it better. "This is just a temporary collar, until I can get you a better one, ok?" Sesshoumaru nudged the collar, then raised his head so Kagome could have better access to his neck. Kagome kneeled down, snapping the collar in place as Sango patted his head.

"You know Kagome, Chance is taller than you are," Sango teased. "I bet when he gets better, he's going to be strong enough for you to ride him too."

"Shut up Sango. Come on." Sango giggled behind Kagome's back as they exited the doctor's office, returning to the pet store once again. "Ok Kagome, what do you want me to do?"

"Go in the grocery store and get this stuff," Kagome said, pointing to the grocery store next door to the PetSmart. "Then meet us back here. I have to get Chance a few things first." Sango nodded, then took off with the dog food recipe as Kagome and Sesshoumaru walked into the pet store. Sesshoumaru stayed by her side as she walked from aisle to aisle, showing him little toys and other nonsense.

"Where are the beds?" she finally asked out loud. She waved to one of the employees at the end of the aisle. "Excuse me, where are your beds?"

"This way," he said, leading Kagome and Sesshoumaru to the right aisle. He glanced back at Sesshoumaru, giving a whistle of approval. "Wow, that's a big dog."

Kagome smiled. "Yeah, I know."

"But he's a beautiful mutt though," the employee replied. Sesshoumaru growled, taking the mutt comment as an insult. Kagome stopped and patted his head. "He meant that as a compliment Chance."

The employee watched as Sesshoumaru calmed down, the pristine fur left on his back smoothing down as he and Kagome resumed walking. "And smart too. He listens to you really well."

Kagome smiled again as they turned into the aisle with the pet beds. The employee looked around a bit, then sighed. "I'm sorry miss, but we don't have any beds his size."

"But the sign says that you carry beds for large breed dogs."

The employee shook his head. "We do, but he's bigger than that. What is he, 6'2" standing on his hind legs?"

Kagome shrugged. "I guess so."

"The biggest size we carry would be for a dog that's 5'4"."

"Then what do I do?"

"I'd suggest custom ordering one at the front desk. Until then, let him sleep on a few blankets."

"Alright then," Kagome sighed, leading Sesshoumaru away from the aisle. "Thank you."

They walked to the front desk, stopping to pick up a pair of metal food bowls before coming to a stop before a collar display.

"OK Chance, do you see one you want?" Kagome asked as Sesshoumaru glanced at the collars. They were the basic plastic, with a few being leather or metal of some sort or another, but the one that caught his attention was a black leather one with a metal crescent moon on the front. He nosed it, then grabbed it with his teeth and held it out for Kagome to see.

"This one? Alright then."

After purchasing the bowls and the collar, and ordering Sesshoumaru's new bed, they met Sango outside.

"Did you get it all?" Kagome asked as she held the door open for Sesshoumaru to get in. Sango nodded. "Yup, I got it all!" She shut the trunk closed, then climbed in the passenger seat.

"Have you told Charles?" Sango asked as Kagome turned into her complex. Kagome nodded. "Charles told Onigumo too."

"Ooooo…"

"Oooo is right. He thinks Chance is a little dog."

"What gave him that idea?"

Kagome shrugged. "I don't kn-Is that?" She leaned over the steering wheel as they drove closer to her driveway. "Oh man, it's him!"

Sango gaped. "Why is he leaning on your door like that?"

Kagome shrugged again. "Probably waiting for me to come home. I told him that I would pick up Chance today." She smiled suddenly, turning in her seat toward Sesshoumaru. "Hey Chance, would you lay down for a moment? I don't want him to see you just yet."

Sesshoumaru thought to ignore her, but the playfulness in her voice reminded him of Rin in a way, so he complied, laying his head on his paws. Kagome grinned and scratched behind his ears. "Good boy Chance." She pulled into her driveway moments later.

Sango jumped out just as Naraku came around the corner. "Well, if it isn't the lovely Sango. How are you?"

"Still engaged," Sango grumbled as she grabbed a few bags from the trunk. Naraku laughed. "I see." He turned to Kagome just as she turned on the alarm. "And you Kagome. How are you?"

"I'm fine Mr. Naraku," Kagome said as she grabbed the rest of the bags and followed Sango to the door. Sesshoumaru peered out the back window as Naraku took the bags from Kagome and followed her to her front door.

'This guy is too forward for me,' Sesshoumaru concluded as Naraku ran an unwanted hand through Kagome's hair. 'But that has nothing to do with me.' He sighed as he rested his head again, wondering what he was doing here. 'She obviously isn't a child. So what am I doing with her? Perhaps it's time someone took care of me, instead of the way it's been for the past 5 centuries.' Sesshoumaru nodded, his snowy head bobbing slightly. 'Yes, that's it. I'll stay with her a while, then I'll go on my way. Maybe I'll even grant Inuyasha a visit.'

Sesshoumaru's ears perked as Kagome's voice approached the car.

"Yes, well Chance might be a little irritable. He isn't in the best of shape," Kagome said as she walked down the sidewalk. Naraku grinned, his hand tugging at Kagome's side as he turned her around.

"The little dear's sick? Oh what a shame." He hugged Kagome, unfazed as she tried to politely pull out of his grasp. "I'd be more than happy to look after him for you."

"That's ok," Kagome said as she finally got free. "Chance doesn't like strangers."

"But he'll love me," Naraku told her as Kagome opened the back door. "Everyone comes to love me eventually."

Kagome ignored the last statement as she motioned for Sesshoumaru to come out. "We'll see. Chance, come out and say hello."

Sesshoumaru did as he was told, elegantly stepping out of the car and walking to Kagome's side. Naraku stared in amazement as Sesshoumaru sat down on the pavement, awed at the enormous dog at Kagome's side. It looked to weigh as much, if not more than Kagome did, and it's head reached the middle of her upper arm.

Naraku smiled at Sesshoumaru, then at Kagome. "I thought you said he was a little dog."

"Did I?" Kagome said curiously. She looked down at Sesshoumaru and smiled. "Oh well. Sorry to mislead you."

"I think you did it on purpose," Naraku accused, taking a step toward them. Sesshoumaru growled, not liking the dark tone of his voice. Naraku took a step back, then frowned. "You know, vicious dogs are put to sleep here."

Sesshoumaru growled, then barked before Kagome had a chance to say anything. 'How dare he threaten me! I'm still the taiyoukai of this region! I could have him killed before sunrise!' Kagome patted his head, then held her hand before his nose. Her scent flooded his senses instantly, calming him as Naraku looked on.

"It seems you have control over the mutt," Naraku jeered, instantly taking a dislike for Sesshoumaru. Little did he know that the feeling was mutual as Sesshoumaru growled once again, ignoring Kagome's scent for the man in front of them. Kagome shushed him, then turned to Naraku as she lead Sesshoumaru toward the house.

"I don't believe he feels very well," she said. "I'd better get him inside. See you later Mr. Naraku."

"See you later Kagome." Naraku walked down the sidewalk, turning to glare at Sesshoumaru once again before finally disappearing toward his condo on the other end of the road.

Kagome breathed a sigh of relief, kneeling down in front of Sesshoumaru and giving him a gentle hug. "Thanks Chance," she whispered. It was then Sesshoumaru realized that beneath her nervousness and politeness, the Naraku man scared her. It overpowered her scent, and he could smell her unshed tears as she buried her face in the fur around his shoulder.

Sesshoumaru inwardly sighed as he laid his chin on Kagome's shoulder. 'It would seem that I have another to protect after all.'

------

SF: I was asked a really good question last week about this story, but my computer ate whoever asked it. I'm going to answer it anyway, so bear with me.

Question: Why did you choose that line of 'Uninvited' for Kagome to sing before she ran over Sesshoumaru?

SF: Truly a good question, right? Anyway, for those of us that don't remember the line it was:

~Like any uncharted territory, I must seem greatly intriguing. You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before. But this is not allowed. You're uninvited.
An unfortunate slight..~

SF: This entire line will be the basic of Kagome and Sesshoumaru's relationship. The gentleness of Kagome's nature, even as he sees her in everyday life, will come to affect him. Oh, and they never would have met if it hadn't been for their unfortunate slights of vision. If Sesshoumaru had been paying attention, he wouldn't have stepped in front of Kagome's car. If Kagome had been paying attention, she wouldn't have hit him. Either way, they wouldn't be together now if it hadn't been for their inattention to their surroundings. That's it for today. The rest of the cast went to Applebees. I felt they deserved the break, don't you?


Responses:

Fanfiction:

Koinu: I know. I don't know why I do this to myself. My bio page is on your fave list? Wow, then it's a good thing I update it weekly. Hate for you to be bored.

Youkai Yume: I try to update this story as much as possible, but ideas for it come slower than for the other stories. That's why the chapters are so long.

Tranador: Trust me, Sesshou doesn't think it's funny. He's already demanding I fix this problem. He's so not going to like it when he turns human. I might have to hide in the rafters that day.

Jazzylady: Thanks for the band play in one of your reviews! I really appreciate it! And finally, someone else that likes to do the happy dance!

Sukuri: Nope, that wasn't it, but it did lead me to the one I wanted. Thanks a lot for it. Now I'm just looking for random S/K stories. I do know what you can help me on though. Let me know if you see a fic called 'You Don't Know What You've Got 'Till It's Gone' on Fanfiction.

Mistress Fluffy: Unfortunately, my schedule prevents me from updating this story like I do the others. I try to post every two Sat.

Dark Neko-Chan: I like the idea of that too. She seems like the type of person with that kind of heart, you know? Thanks for the love and don't hurt Kagome too badly. Give her a break for God's sake.

Tessa3: Oh no problem. I'm not too fond of Kikyou, so the decision to delete her after chapter one wasn't heart-wrenching. There might be a few flashbacks of her, but that's it. I have yet to read an actual Kouga/Kagome fic. I guess I should read one before I write one. Silver Fox: That would be a good idea, genius. >Zap!< Silver Fox: {::smoke rising from the top of his head::} Oh, so you want to play like that, do you? {::SF and Silver Fox start flinging lightening bolts and water everywhere:: ::water lands on the circuit breaker, shorting it and leaving everyone in the dark::} Sesshou: Well, you two half-wits did it this time. SF/Silver Fox: Shut up! SF: I haven't read 'A Kitsune's Tears'. Is it a romantic Shippou/Kagome or what? Oh and Bikutoria recommends 'Just Let Me Try'! Silver Fox: Hey! How are you? SF: {::shoves him aside::} Thanks for the love for the last chapter, even though I think you're doing nothing but encouraging the jackas- Silver Fox: We got your email by the way. I'm scheduling a 'study' session for this weekend. You interested? >Whap!< SF: Shut up, you ball of hormonal goo! Just look what you've started. {::sigh::} Now I'm going to have to hose him down...again.

Em Starcatcher: I've seen that fic, but I've never actually taken the time to read it. As for Inu-chan, there are days where I just want to Kentucky Fry that jerk.

Bikutoria: {::shrugs::} I guess I just don't pay attention. What can you do? I told Tessa3 you're recommendation, and I'm going to check it out myself. Thanks for it and the review!

Fluffy'slova4life: Thanks for the new email! 'Preciate it!

Rain of Stars: You're the only one who's said that! {::sniff::} You truly care! {::glomps RoS::} Thanks so much! Kagome: Um, SF, she can't breathe. Sesshou: Don't let go. Let her suffer a little first. SF: That's so mean Sesshou. {::lets go::} Sorry about that. Oh, and glad you liked the joke- Silver Fox: Even if it was corny as hell.

Kagome: Thanks for the love! I thought that maybe the detail was a bit much, but now I know it's not! I'm updating soon, but thanks for being willing to wait! You know, they say patience is a virtue. And he is rather cute, isn't he?

Meow-chan: She was, but he did embarrass the hell out of her, and her family by acting like a jerk. Sesshou didn't put up resistance because he couldn't. Remember the part where it said he tried to move but couldn't? That was a part of Kikyou's spell.

Familia-Ficz: He's wanted to maul me for weeks now. I don't pay him a bit of attention anymore. Oh, and I've read 'Mine Eyes Behold' and you definitely have a great start. It's definitely on the money with the way Inu-chan would act in such a situation, but I would love to have seen Sesshou's 'lesson' personally.

Fireash: I'm only writing two. See, 'Sango's Seduction,' and most of 'Trial of the Century' are finished. That's why they come out so often.

Mediaminer:

Sesshyangel: I'll be sure to invite more than you if that happens! I'll get a camcorder and a Polaroid too. Thanks a lot. I thought it might be a tad occ for him and that it wouldn't fit.

MysticInca: Thanks a lot! I'm still fiddling with that idea, so bear with me. But I assure you, Sesshou's going to hate it! Sesshou: I hate it now, so what's different?

Hehe...: Thanks a lot! I update this story every two weeks!

Prisetess Jade: I don't know about extra chapters. See, I haven't even started on chapter three and between school, interning and babysitting I'm not entirely sure when I'll start it. Don't worry, because I update this story every two weeks. Thanks for the Favorites list!

REDWOLF: So no one's pissed about Sesshou getting run over...Oh well. Thanks for the review!

Wackoramaco87: Thanks for the love! I can't wait for him to do that tango personally, but he said...What did you say again? Sesshou: I said there wasn't a chance in hell of me doing that tango with clothes, no less without. SF: Oh well then. One can dream, can't we?

Crimson Demon: Thanks a lot! Can I ask you a question: WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO UPDATE YOUR STORY?!!!! I'm dyin' over here! I'm up to like chapter-{::scratches her head::} Um, I don't remember the chapter #, but you said you had two chapters left or something like that! Oh, and does Kagome really have to-well, you know. Does she?!

Tsukitani: I like Sesshou better with two arms for some reason, though he's an ass no matter what. {::shrugs::} But he wouldn't be Sesshou if he weren't. Just in case there was too much angst in the second chapter, I'm going to try to make things a tad light and hearty for a while. I know, Rin's separation sucked, but that's not the last time you see her. And Sesshou hates the doctor. I have to tap his nose to get him to stop growling at the nurses.

Blue Saiyan Angel: Sesshou: What's this about a thermometer? SF: Um, nothing. Thanks for the love! Isn't anyone mad at me for running Sesshou over, other than Sesshou himself? Kagome: Yeah! I am! Why did I have to do it? SF: How else is he supposed to meet you? Sesshou: {::talking to Silver Fox::} Say what?! SF: Um, what's going on over there? Sesshou: {::still talking to Silver Fox::} They stick what where?! SF: Um, I'd better go before it gets ugly...

Sinnamonkat: Sorry for the cliffie! I've heard that evil thing all week! I should be ashamed of myself. I'm coming with more in two weeks!

Lady Sesshoumaru: Now a problem. Thanks for the time.

Aira^o^: FF was a butt to you too huh? It does me like that all the time. Yeah, for that one time Kagome understood him. That'll be addressed sooner or later. As for Sesshou falling for Kagome, that'll get started as soon as possible.

Laina Inverse: Of course things will be ok! I wouldn't be me if they weren't! But don't worry about a thing. Kagome and Sesshou will get along just fine.