InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Through the Eyes of A Child ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Yet again, I don't own Inuyasha. I am planning to get the Kirara plushie from Adult Swim. If anyone would like to contribute, just send the money to my AOL account. ~.^

Chapter Twelve: Through the Eyes of A Child

Sesshoumaru's eyes opened the moment Kagome's key turned in the front door lock, his head raising up to look over the arm of the couch as she and Sango entered the house. They each carried mounds of bags between them, and where giggling over some mundane thing as they sat their things in the middle of the room.

"That was actually fun," Sango laughed. Kagome shook her head in disagreement. "I hate Christmas shopping. That's why I try to do it earlier in the year."

"Why? Too many people?" Sango asked before she fished inside one of her bags and pulled out a green sweater. "I like the crowds personally."

"I don't. Way too many people, especially this week. Why did we wait until the last weekend before Christmas to go shopping?"

"I like the deals," Sango answered. "Besides, you can't say the trip was totally hectic."

"Oh of course not," Kagome replied dramatically. "It was completely boring, if you don't count the trio of old ladies fighting over the last Tickle Me Elmo."

"That was funny!" Sango giggled. "Who would have thought old people could be so ruthless? And didn't one of them try to do a Rock Bottom?"

"I don't even want to think about it," Kagome groaned. She flopped backward on the carpet, her left hand landing inches from Sesshoumaru's nose. He nudged it gently, his cold wet nose startling Kagome. "What the? Oh, it's just you Chance. Did you have fun while we were gone?"

'Not exactly,' Sesshoumaru thought as she sat up and rubbed his ears. His tail thumped steadily behind him and sped up when Sango sat on the couch above him, reached down and began to rub his tummy.

"I honestly believe that we spoil him," Sango laughed as Sesshoumaru's eyes closed and his head tipped toward Kagome's hand. Kagome shrugged. "He deserves it, don't you think?"

"Whatever. Hey, what do you want for Christmas?" Sango asked. "You never said."

"Whatever you get me is fine," Kagome shrugged. Sango shook her head. "Not acceptable. What do you want Kagome?"

"To be honest, I kinda want this pocket watch I saw in the mall today."

"A pocket watch?" Sango's brow raised skeptically as Sesshoumaru's ears unknowingly swiveled toward Kagome. "Aren't those things for guys?"

"I guess so, but I like them. They have this sophisticated look about them. They're kinda cool."

"I don't think so," Sango said with a shake of her head. "So think of something else."

"Alright," Kagome agreed with an exasperated sigh. "Let's see…Oh, I know! How about getting me one of those skirts you like to wear?"

"Huh? Why?"

Kagome shrugged. "I like them, but I can never find one that's short enough. That's what I want."

Sango smiled and nodded in agreement before the sound of a horn blasting could be heard outside. "Sure Kagome, I'll do it. That's Miroku." She gathered her collection of bags and headed toward the door. "Are you going to be at your Mom's for Christmas Eve?"

"Yup, sure am. I'm bring Chance along too."

"Great. Miroku and I will be there too. See you tomorrow!"

"OK. Tell Roki bye!" Kagome waved out the door for a few minutes, then closed it and turned toward the stairs. "I'll be right back Chance."

'Wonder what she's up to,' Sesshoumaru thought to himself, listening as Kagome's footsteps walked the floor above him. She came down the steps soon enough, with her hands behind her back and a sweet smile on her face.

"Come here Chance," she called to him, the pleasantness in her voice making the hair on Sesshoumaru's back stand on end. "I have a surprise for you."

'Yes, I'm sure you do,' he quipped as he backed out of the living room toward the kitchen and the doggie door. 'And I think I know what it is.'

"Don't run boy," Kagome gently scolded as she approached him. "You know this doesn't hurt." She frowned when Sesshoumaru took another step back, then turned and bolted from the room. Kagome ran after him, somehow blocking the doggie door before Sesshoumaru reached it. He skidded to a stop seconds before slamming into her, then pivoted and ran back into the living room. He yelped in surprise when Kagome's arms grasped his middle and the two of them fell to the carpet below. She whipped a brush from her back pocket and, without removing herself from Sesshoumaru's back, began to brush behind his ears.

Sesshoumaru relaxed instantly, his struggling coming to abrupt halt. "I don't know why you do that," Kagome complained as she sat up and continued his grooming. "I know you like it."

Sesshoumaru purred in response, his heavy head resting on his front paws as the brush glided through his fur.

"I don't mind grooming you. I think you're pretty sweet," Kagome admitted with a sigh. "You know, three months ago I would never have imagined myself with a dog, no less one like you. Now, I can't say that I regret having you. You…" She smiled down at him, one that reflected in the blue in her eyes. "You're something else."

"And something else I haven't said to you," Kagome began as she picked up his tail and brushed that too. "I'm sorry for running you over. I wish we could've met under different circumstances, but no use crying over that right?" She patted his back, a silent signal that she was finished and looked on as Sesshoumaru stood up and shook himself off.

"I just wish you liked me more…"

Sesshoumaru stopped mid shake, his eyes thoughtful before sitting at her side. 'I…don't know if I like you or not,' he admitted as he rested his head on her shoulder. She glanced over to him, and he looked back before nosing her cheek. Kagome giggled in spite of herself and hugged his head.

'But perhaps you are not as bad as I first thought…'

*

By Monday afternoon Kagome was on the road, her mind set on delivering her gifts to the kids who's cases she worked on.

'Only two more to go,' she thought as she glanced at the road before merging into traffic. 'I have to finish this today or else I'll have to wait until after Christmas break to deliver them. I'd rather not do that. Who's next?' She reached inside her purse for a list and checked off three names. She smiled at the last two. "Kanna and Shippou. Well they live on the same side of town, sort of, so they should be a snap."

Kagome drove to Kanna's house first and arrived just as Kanna was coming home from school. Kagome watched her as she walked down the sidewalk, the skirt of her private school uniform peeking from underneath the mammoth blue First Down coat she wore to protect herself from the cold. A wisp of white hair fluttered out into the crisp December air, trailing out beside her like a little tendril of smoke.

Kagome stepped out of the car, walked to the trunk and leaned against it as Kanna's parents stepped onto the porch. "Hi Miss Higurashi!" Mrs. Holland called. Kagome waved back just as Kanna looked up and spotted her.

"Kagome?"

"Hi Kanna," Kagome waved. Kanna smiled and ran toward her, the wind whipping her hood back and sending her hair flying around her. She crashed into Kagome with a thud, her arms automatically wrapping around Kagome's waist as she smiled up at her.

"Did you bring Chance?"

"No, I didn't," Kagome said with a shake of her head. "But I did bring you something. Go ask your parents if you can have it."

Kanna nodded and ran up the steps calling out Kagome's name and her question. Rev. Holland nodded in consent and Kanna raced back down the steps as Kagome unlocked her trunk. "Now Kanna," Kagome began as she grasped the trunk's edge. "You have to promise me that you'll take care of him, ok?"

"Kay," Kanna nodded, her brown eyes sparkling happily. "What is it Kagome-chan?"

Kagome opened the trunk and watched as Kanna peered inside, then squealed and dove inside the trunk. She emerged with an enormous plushie that looked exactly like Chance, right down to the black collar with the blue crescent moon on the front. "He's perfect Kagome-chan! Where did you find him?"

"Oh, somewhere special," Kagome said with a laugh. She and Sango had spent at least an hour looking for something for Kanna when she spotted the massive stuffed animal in the window of the local toy store. They stopped at Pet Smart for the collar and, even though the eyes weren't the same color, it was a nearly perfect replica of Chance. "Let me carry it to your house."

Kanna passed over the plushie reluctantly. She held the edge of Kagome's jacket to lead her up the steps and to her front porch, realizing when Kagome stumbled over the sidewalk that Kagome couldn't see over the giant dog. Kagome was led inside the house, with Mrs. and Rev. Holland following close behind.

"We would really like to thank you for Kanna's gift," Mrs. Holland said as Kagome set the stuffed animal on the floor. Kagome smiled back and waved it aside. "It wasn't a problem." She leaned closer to Kanna's parents and whispered, "Maybe now she'll be a little more patient about getting a dog of her own."

"I heard that," Kanna replied as she looked up from beside her gift. "And I still want a dog."

Kagome shrugged as she and the Hollands laughed. "Well, you can't blame a girl for trying."

"Are you staying for dinner?" Kanna asked. Kagome shook her head. "No Kanna-chan, I can't. I have one more present to give, then I'm off for an entire week. I'll see you the first week of January ok?"

"Ok," Kanna replied sadly as she walked Kagome to the door. "Thanks for my dog! I'm going to name him Chance II!"

"Alright!" Kagome laughed as she opened her car door. "Bye you guys!"

"Bye!" Kanna chirped as she and her parents waved goodbye and watched her speed off.

Her arrival at Shippou's was less pleasant.

Kagome pulled into the driveway of the two story yellow home, smiling happily as she remembered Kanna's face. 'She loved it,' Kagome thought as she stepped out of the car and opened the back door. 'I'm glad she did. I knew she would. I just hope Shippou likes his too-'

"Open the door you fucking bitch!"

'What on earth?' Kagome grabbed a small black duffle bag from behind the passenger seat and closed the door. She slowly walked up the sidewalk and stopped in the middle of it, her mouth slightly agape as she watched a woman assault the front door of the house. Her flaming red hair was held back in a ponytail, and every now and again she would either kick or hit the door.

"You let me in right now! I want to see Shippou! You can't keep him away from me you old hag!"

"Excuse me," Kagome said as she cautiously approached the woman. The woman continued, either uncaring or unaware of Kagome's approach.

"Open the door right fucking now, or I swear I'll rip it down and-"

"Excuse me?"

"What?" she whirled around and snarled in Kagome's face. Kagome instinctively stepped back, but quickly thought better of it and reclaimed her place on the porch.

"Who are you," Kagome asked. "and why are you beating on this door?"

"Not that it's any of your business," the woman growled angrily. "But my son is in there and-"

"Shippou?" Kagome interrupted. "You're Shippou's mother?"

"Yeah, I'm that little brat's mother. The old hag in here won't let me see him."

"If I'm to understand it correctly, there's a court order for you to stay away from Shippou," Kagome explained. "You're not allowed to see him."

"No court can tell me what to do," Shippou's mom said as she began to kick the door again. "He's my son and I want him damn it!"

"You would have to reinstate your parental rights, or at least earn visitation," Kagome informed her. Kagome winced when she kicked the door again, leaving a dent the size of a softball in the middle of it. "Trying to kick down her door won't look good to a judge."

"Then what do you suggest I do Miss Know-It-All," Shippou's mom responded furiously, her assault on the door forgotten for a moment. Kagome leaned against the porch railing and sighed, remembering to keep it cool in situations such as these.

"For one, you should get a lawyer, one that specializes in family court. Then see if you can get him to negotiate visitation rights. If they're granted, you're first ones may be supervised-"

"I won't have someone watch me!" Shippou's mom interrupted. "He's my son and-"

"-and if you do well on the supervised visitation, then maybe you can convince Shippou's social worker to recommend unsupervised visitation," Kagome finished as if she were never interrupted. Shippou's mom quieted for a moment, then nodded. "Alright then. I can see how that would work. Who are you anyway?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry about that. I forgot to tell you." Kagome smiled and reached her hand out. "I'm Kagome Higurashi, Department of Social Services."

Shippou's mom's eyes widened in surprise before narrowing dangerously. The look on he face told Kagome that she understood what just happened and Kagome watched as she walked off the porch and drove away in the black Civic in front of the house. Kagome sighed deeply and knocked on the door, watching as Shippou's grandmother peered out from the small top windows before opening the door.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that," she apologized as she stepped aside so Kagome could come in.

"Don't worry about it," Kagome said with an understanding smile. "We're trained to handle that kind of thing. Where's Shippou?"

Shippou's grandmother fell silent for a few minutes, as if she were thinking about something before gesturing to the steps. "His door is the first one on the right," she said as Kagome walked up the steps. Kagome followed her instructions and opened the first door. She looked in on what was obviously a little boys room, with model airplanes hanging from the ceiling and a model train set on a nearby table. Her attention turned to the nearby twin bed where Shippou lay with his head buried underneath the pillow. She could hear him crying, his little tail twitching with each sniff.

Wait a minute…

TAIL!!!!!

"Shippou?"

Shippou froze, his tail spiking out before his head finally emerged. He stared back at her, his once human eyes now emerald green slits. Little claws replaced human hands and tiny fangs protruded from his mouth. He took one look at Kagome and started crying again. Kagome shook herself from her shock and sat beside him, reached over and gathered him in her arms.

"What are you doing?" he wailed as he struggled to get away from her. "Aren't you scared? Aren't you going to tell?"

"Tell who?" Kagome asked, her voice soft and soothing to the child's frayed nerves. He stopped struggling and looked up at her, blinking instinctively when she dried his tears. "Why aren't you running away?"

"Why should I? I'm your friend Shippou, and I want to know what's wrong. I can't find out if I run away."

"But I…I'm-"

"Different, yes I can see that," Kagome said with a smile. "Are you a youkai?"

"Yeah, a kitsune," Shippou said proudly. "Why aren't you scared?"

"I grew up on a shrine," Kagome answered. "My oji-san used to tell my brother, cousins and I stories about youkai. You must be pretty special huh?"

"Yeah! I can change my shape and turn into a giant pink ball and all kind of stuff!" Shippou exclaimed. Kagome laughed at his enthusiasm. "I'd love to see that someday. Um, is your grandmother a youkai?"

"No, she's not even my grandmother. She's a friend of my dad's."

"Oh, I see. What's your dad like?"

Shippou sighed deeply, his eyes lowered as tears welled in his eyes. "My dad was cool. He loved everything I did. He and my mom used to fight all the time."

"What about?"

Shippou shrugged. "About humans. They didn't agree on them. They both hated that we have to hide but Dad thought that maybe we could get along with them. Mom thought we were superior to them and that we should take over and stuff. Dad never agreed."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Kagome responded gently. "Where's your dad?"

"My dad is dead," he said bitterly. "He died in some kind of crash. It was raining that night, and he was driving along the coast when his car fell off a cliff and into the water."

"Oh. I'm sorry to have brought it up."

"I think my mom killed him."

Kagome gasped, quickly covering her mouth with her hand to muffle the sound. "What makes you think that?"

Shippou shrugged again and moved from Kagome's lap to sit beside her. He played with the tip of his tail for a distraction, Kagome watching as he separated each strand of hair from the others. "I heard them fighting that night," he finally said. "It was a nasty one too. Stuff was thrown and I could hear glass breaking. I started to worry when everything went quiet and I walked downstairs to see what happened. No one was home but me, and the living room was a complete disaster.

"I went back to bed and when I woke up the cops were there. I thought the neighbors called them, but when I saw Mrs. Takisai crying I knew something bad had happened."

"Did you ever tell the police what happened that night?" Kagome asked. Shippou shook his head. "What good would it have done? They wouldn't have believed me, and even if they did I was stuck with my mother now. There was no way I wanted to get on her bad side."

"I understand."

"I don't know what I was so scared of," Shippou admitted with a sniff. "No matter what I did, I always ended up on her bad side. She hit me a lot, sometimes for no good reason. She did this too." Shippou held up his left hand and Kagome fingered the raised skin on his palm, gently tracing the circles that were obviously made by the eye of a stove.

"She said it was because I was too slow coming downstairs for dinner."

"Oh Shippou…" Kagome hugged him again, unaware of his shock as she comforted him. "You didn't deserve that. I'm so sorry that happened to you."

"It's no sweat," Shippou told her. "Mrs. Takisai is pretty nice, and now I don't have to worry about my mom. Everything's ok now."

"You're right, it is." Kagome gently squeezed him, then let go before returning to the door and picking up her forgotten duffle bag. "I brought you something."

"Really? What?" Shippou asked as Kagome walked over to an empty desk in the room and set the bag on top.

"It's your Christmas present," Kagome answered. She reached inside and pulled out a package and a gift bag. "I'd suggest opening the box first," Kagome recommended. Shippou ripped open the wrapping and grinned, his tail twitching excitedly as he picked up the box. "It's a fish tank!"

"It sure is. The fish are inside the gift bag. I thought I'd help you set it up."

"Cool! Thanks Kagome!"

An hour later Kagome came back downstairs, leaving Shippou in his room to make the tiny adjustments he insisted on making to the fish's environment. Mrs. Takisai smiled at her from the living room and offered Kagome her coat.

"Thanks. Um, can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can," Mrs. Takisai replied as she handed Kagome a cup of hot chocolate.

"Thanks. Um, why is Shippou with you? Wouldn't he be with his father's family or something?"

Mrs. Takisai exhaled deeply, her eyes sad as she finally looked back at Kagome. "You know I'm not his grandmother don't you?"

Kagome nodded.

"And you know he's not human?"

Kagome nodded again. "Don't worry. I won't tell anyone."

"Good. You're right, I'm not his grandmother. Shippou's father and I were good friends. He left it in his will that if anything were to happen to him and Shippou's mother then he was to come and stay with me. And here we are." She smiled back at Kagome wistfully. "The little guy is a handful, but he's so cute!"

"Tell me about it! I just love his tail!"

"Me too! It's so soft and fluffy-"

"Hey!" Shippou hollered down the stairs. "I can hear you guys! My tail is not fluffy!"

Kagome and Mrs. Takisai giggled to themselves. "Yes Shippou, we know," Mrs. Takisai yelled back. "Forgive us, for we are only female and we tend to want to hold things that are soft."

"Whatever," Shippou grumbled. Kagome giggled again and shook her head. "I'm going to give you my number," Kagome said as she pulled out a business card and wrote her cell phone number on the back. "If anything happens just call me and I'll be here as soon as possible."

"Thank you Kagome," Mrs. Takisai replied as she opened the front door. "You have a Merry Christmas."

"You too."

Kagome stepped out into the frigid weather, groaning to herself when it began to snow. 'That's just great.' She looked up when she heard tapping and waved to Shippou, who was watching her leave from his bedroom window. She could barely make out his tail swishing behind him before he disappeared into the room.

'Poor Shippou. His mom isn't what I thought she would be. I guess that's why he didn't want to talk about her. It's cool that he's a youkai though! He's so cute!' She started her car and headed back to the department, her car slightly empty but her heart greatly filled.

*

Kagome sighed as she pulled into her driveway, leaving thoughts of work behind as she turned off the engine and pulled her purse and briefcase from the back. She made her way to her front door, subconsciously listening to the clicking sound her shoes made on her stone walkway before pausing mid step. Kagome discretely reached inside her jacket pocket for her mace and spun around with it in her hands.

"Woah! Wait a minute!" Mr. Naraku cried as he jumped back with his hands raised in the air. "It's just me."

"Oh, sorry about that," Kagome apologized. She fought back the wicked urge to mace him anyway as she returned it to her pocket. "How are you Mr. Naraku?"

"I'm fine Kagome, and it's Onigumo remember?"

"Oh yeah, sorry about that."

"Don't worry about it. Look, I'm going out of town for Christmas and -"

'Halleluiah,' Kagome thought dryly.

"-I wanted to give you something before I left."

"Oh wow," Kagome gasped as he handed her a small pink box. "You really didn't have to."

"I wanted to. I saw it in the store and thought you would like it."

"Wow, thanks."

"Um, Kagome," Mr. Naraku said as Kagome moved to open her door. "Could you…open it? I'd really like to know if you like it."

"Sure." Kagome sat her briefcase between her feet and carefully opened the gift, making sure not to rip the paper as she tore through the clear tape.

"You certainly open gifts differently," Mr. Naraku noted. Kagome shrugged. "My mother's the same way. She always said to never waste anything. Oh wow." Kagome opened the box and pulled a watch free. It was a sort of military stopwatch, with a belt clip and rubber protecting around it. "It's…wow, thanks."

"You like it?" Mr. Naraku asked. Kagome nodded. "Um, yeah, I do. Thanks so much."

"I thought you would. You seemed like the kind of girl to go for that kind of stuff. I'm glad you like it." He kissed her hand, somehow missing her grimace before bidding her a Merry Christmas and walking down the street to his house. Kagome waited until he was finally gone to get a good look at the watch.

'What on earth is this thing?' she wondered as she opened the door. Souta looked up from his book the instant she walked in, and she was so enthralled with the watch that she didn't see Sesshoumaru sitting on the other side of the door until she tripped over him. She stumbled a bit before Sesshoumaru stood on all four legs and braced her up.

"Thanks Chance," she said as she gave him a grateful pat on the head. He sniffed at the watch in her hand looked at her curiously. "You want to know where I got this from? Mr. Naraku gave it to me. I think it's a stopwatch."

'It could be his attempt at the pocket watches Kagome talked about,' Kikyou mused. Sesshoumaru growled low in his throat while Kagome showed the watch to Souta. 'I think he's trying to one-up you.'

'I do not care,' Sesshoumaru told her, but he couldn't deny the nagging irritation at the back of his mind when he thought about it. Souta's voice broke through his chain of thought, and Sesshoumaru ducked as the watched zipped past him and crashed into the wall before falling into the couch behind him.

"That thing is junk!" Souta exclaimed with a huff. "You should give it back!"

"I'm not giving it back!" Kagome argued. "It's the thought that counts, remember?"

Souta huffed again and returned his nose to his biology book. "If that's the case, then that watch says either 'I'm cheap and I don't think you deserve a real gift' or 'You're cheap and I think I can get in your pants with this crappy gift'. Either one you prefer."

"Souta! That's not very nice!" Kagome picked up the watch and looked at it closely. "But…you might be right. I'm going to keep it anyway though because he didn't have to get me anything."

"I kinda wish he hadn't," Souta called as Kagome walked upstairs. "I don't care what she says," Souta told Sesshoumaru as he sat at Souta's feet and yawned. "That thing is crap-tastic. They'll end up going out because Kagome will want to thank him, then she'll go out with him again out of pity's sake. Sooner or later she'll be introducing him to Mom and moving him in." Souta shuddered in disgust. "Man, that'll suck. You'd better believe that I'll stop coming around."

'That means no more egg McMuffins for you,' Kikyou teased. Sesshoumaru ignored her completely, his mind working over what Souta so casually said. 'Unfortunately, Souta may be right. There must be some way to make her forget all about Naraku's gift.'

'Sesshoumaru, do you have a plan?' Kikyou asked. Sesshoumaru snorted, laid his head on his front paws and closed his eyes.

'Of course I have a plan. When have you known me not to have one?'

----

SF: Yeah, I know a lot of people thought Shippou would be human like Kanna, but I just had to make him youkai. I think he's cute that way! {::picks Shippou up and hugs him::}

Kagome: I do too! {::hugs Shippou too:}

{The entire female cast (except for Kikyou) hugs Shippou)

Inu-chan: Great day in the-Don't do that! He's already a brat!

Sango: Be nice to him Inuyasha! He's just a kid!

Rin: Don't make Shippou-chan cry, or Rin will tell Sesshoumaru-sama!

Inu-chan: Tell him damn it! I don't give a fu-

Sesshou: {::picks Inu-chan up by the scruff of his neck and tosses him offstage::} Learn to watch your mouth hanyou. I do not want Rin to learn such filth.

SF: Awwww! Sesshou makes a great dad!

Kagome/ Sango: We know!

Sesshou: {::steps back::} Why are they staring at me like that?

Silver Fox: That's the 'We want you to father our kids' look Sesshoumaru. Perhaps you should run.

Sesshou: {::as girls (except for Rin and Kikyou) put Shippou down and advance on him::} Perhaps you are right. {::bolts offstage w/ girls right behind him::}

Silver Fox: Well, that's new. Normally he chases one of them. Things get interesting for Christmas, and Sesshoumaru meets Kagome's mom and grandfather for the first time. The next chapter of Second Chance

Chapter Thirteen: A Christmas to Remember

Responses:

OutofPlace, Lady Selene Li, Meilin H, Cassy, Sorceress Lurockia, Mimi, Kiddie-Writer, Jamie, SugarCube, AngelBratt, Baka Onna, I, Salena-Jagonashi, Ino Pig, Defafaeth Mechqua, The-piro-16, Flame Dancer077, Suzuko, Fire Kitsune Goddess, Burning-Phoenix-656, Sliver-Blue-Eyes, ReginaLucifer, DemonWicca1, SamuraiGirl87, Bailey, Seungmina1991, Sesshomaru13, Okibi Usagi, Peanut Gallery-Alaska's Own, NeoShipper, Bad-Girl04, Salem Cat, Taensuu, Tokia, MyInuyasha04, Lil-Saturn-Goddess, CutiePie99 & Kagome360: Thanks for reviewing! Another update's coming soon!

Nishasha: (chuckles) Yeah, I kinda noticed that. Sorry. Don't worry though. I try to update this story at least once a month.

Darkassasin: I'm not entirely sure how tall he is on all fours, but he's big enough for Kagome (who's five two in this story) to ride easily.

Blooded-Blade: I think it's a tail too...though on the anime Toutousai called it a cloak. Who cares really? I want it to be a tail, so a tail it is!

White Deer: Me too! I just love that show! What would I do without my Carson fix every week?

SakuraForce: Not all reverends work strictly in the church. My mom and I both work with reverends at our jobs. I'm not entirely sure why they're there, but they're there.

Teresa: Don't worry about it, your English is perfect. I'm so glad you like this story. It's hard to write, and even harder to shake the Little Muse for the chapter ideas. She can be so stubborn sometimes.

Gray Wolf Demon. I just knew someone felt the same way that I did! (whaps Silver) And you said I was nuts. Anyway, I thought it was Rin too.

Hime Shinidama no Megami: What I meant was that I can't right now. See, Naraku has to pass one evil to get to another in this story. Don't worry though. I'm pretty sure Sesshoumaru will have to save her from something in the coming chapters.

AnImEfReAk81: I'll fully admit to my sadistic side. I try to imagine the funniest way for her to kill her for every chapter she's in. Rolling her head has gotten old. So glad you like them though. There should be one more flashback in Sesshoumaru's future.

SilentBrat: Thanks for the high rating! I want to pet his ears too, but (sniff) it's just not possible. Oh well.

Black Shadow Fox: Sess won't be normal for a while now. There's so much in this story that has to be done. Kanna's case has to go to trial, Kouga has an entire chapter to himself, and Kagome and Sesshoumaru have a relationship to develop. But when the time comes for him to be normal, you'll know it.

Rhexi: A very good muse. As long as I remember to buy her Princess and Timon and Pumba fruit snacks when I go to the store, she's a happy kid. (blushes) I don't think I could handle pro. Too much attention. I like writing fanfiction just fine.

Migele: Yup, Kagura's a good girl in this one, though she complains constantly about it. Naraku should be either in this chapter or the next chapter. I can't remember.

Puffin: Thanks a lot! It does show a different side, but a side that's believable. After all, he looks after Rin so well. Why wouldn't he look after another kid? There's only one more flashback before the end, and that one's on the only male child he's ever looked after.

Anastasia: My grandfather once said that change is always good, even when we don't think so. Thanks for the love!

Kagome: I ignore my stories sometimes too. I should be ashamed of myself. Why don't you try the fic challenge on my bio page? It's a great idea, and I don't think anyone's ever done it before. It would be pretty cool to see you try it.

KouseiJL: The whole lung thing was straight out of work. I still don't know what made me do that...but it was funny! You know, after you said that little think about Anakin's mom, I thought about it and it was funny! That actress sucked! You're right about Sesshou too. I wonder if he realizes that.

Taihen-Sama: Sure, I think I can do that. I try not to be too descriptive because some people complain about it, but I think I can do that for you. No offence taken, I'm always open to constructive criticism.

Fire Phoenix: I love that show too! I can't believe Silver doesn't...but if you've ever seen the way he dresses, you'd get a clue. I should call the Fab Five on him. (snickers) Can you imagine his face? (starts laughing) Oh wow! He'd kill me!

The Fallen Angel of Death: I never thought about that. That's so depressing. Oh wow, I'm not entirely sure I was going for that, but that's cool too. More Sess/Kag fluff should be coming in a few chapters.

BelleDayNight: Congrats on your certification! I can do it, I'm just not certified. We took a class in school before I graduated. Kagome does sleep in her own bed, but the previous night was chapter ten and she and Sango normally sleep in the living room when Sango sleeps over. She was just being sarcastic. Kagome will meet Inuyasha sometime in this story, but not for a while yet. There's still so much to do and so little time to do it. I'm glad you didn't think Mai was boring, because there's one more flashback to do before we go full circle, and I have research to do on it. Guess I should get to work now instead of putting it off for later.

Trom Kehra: I think so too. Poor Sessho. =^.^=

Dana Daidouji: I try really hard not to miss a show! Carson is hilarious! He's one of the reasons I watch, plus some of the guys they work on don't look the same afterward. It's hard to believe that the scruffy mountain dude they started on turns out to be this Johnny Depp-like dude afterward. It's pretty cool. Thanks for the chapter love and another one should be on the way!

Father Malvado: Guys are strange. What's so bad about Queer Eye? It's not like they're interested in straight guys anyway. Oh well. I guess I'll never understand it. Thanks for the love, and this was the show's first and last time in the fic. Promise.

Fyyrrose: YOU KILLED HIM?!!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW!!!! Oh, the muse killed him. Well that's different. Yeah, blood sucks to get out. Too much scrubbing and what not. You're not the first person to say that about Kikyou. I guarantee that if I type something where you're supposed to like Kikyou, no one would. It'd go straight to pot. I'd want to be a dog in Japan, one of the little ones who's owners spend mega bucks taking care of it. Now that's a dog's life for me! I haven't thought about fleas! (snickers) Another great opportunity to torture him! Thanks so much!

Otakuannie: Red Bulls suck. They should give the damned things to anyone who wants them. I don't know if all dogs purr, but my black lab does. She's weird though, so she might not count. The tennyo line was terrible, but Mai didn't know. Think about it like this: Her only companions since she was about six have been a very absent taiyoukai turned human and a gigantic white dog. It's not like she knew any better. Sesshou does treat Kikyou and Kagome differently. He's still a little pissed at Kikyou, but he doesn't hate her like he used to. I wonder why...

Reality: Um...I don't have a picture of Mai. Do you know anyone who would want to do one?

Raine84: Yup, there's only one left. He didn't take in many, but the one's he did were pretty special. Sesshoumaru might make an appearance, but you never know.

CometsChaos: You're the first to ask. Yup, we'll see Rin again, just not anytime soon.

Lunatic Pandora: Kagome is lucky. Don't you want to just smack her sometimes?

Dark Neko-Chan: You could always turn him into a girl. (snicker) I'm pretty sure that'll rile him up! Thanks for the love!

Kagome333: You're the second person to ask that. I think it would be a good idea for him to go, don't you?

S1Cherry: Me too. It's just wrong. Hey, if dude wanted you to slap him then you shouldn't feel bad. Revel in the fact that you slapped someone and grin. I know I would, but I'm weird like that.

NoLabel: I did forget that didn't I? I'm so very sorry. I made sure to put a preview for the next chapter!

Sweetcece: Aw man, you have a long wait ahead of you. It's going to be a while, and I mean a while before that happens.

Artemis347: But as I'm sure you see now, Sesshoumaru's fine. He wasn't too pleased about being hit by a car either, and he tried to destroy my car because of it. He tried to melt it. He never says abbreviated words around me. I'm jealous.

Crystal Echoes: Kikyou is in love with Sesshoumaru for this one, but Sesshoumaru's not falling for her. He still thinks of her as the bane of his existence, and can't wait until he can be rid of her. I'm working on the heart boxers as we speak.

Rikku0319: I see. Well, don't worry about it. I don't think you're crazy. I like that you like this story so much. I'm going to try to do better by it and update it at least once a month. If you're ever curious about when I update, just check my bio page.

Artemis347: In this story, Kikyou's time is 5 centuries past this one. Onigumo doesn't know Kikyou, no less like her.

Mediaminer:

Luscious, Lady3, Yasmin, Paige89, Medatsu-chan & Lunabelle: Thanks a Lot! Another update's on the way!

SilverFangedTiger: Then you should like the rest of the story once you get past chapter three. He's very funny in some parts.

Sango16: She'll hear some, but not all of his thoughts. I'm not entirely sure why she hears them. I think it's a side effect or something. Doesn't it suck to have side effects on a curse?

Fluffy'slova4llife: (bows) Thank you so much. I thought a bunch of people would freak, but no one has. It's still not to late for FF though. And Sesshou's being a perv? Not exactly as far fetched as it sounds. He's so bad.

JazzyLady: My guy reviewers hate the show, so they made me promise not to put it in another chapter. That's cool, because I know of another show that everyone likes. Oh, and thanks for the congrats! I'm glad so many people liked it enough to vote for it!

Fireash: I've done the head thing at least twice, and I've ripped out a lung at least once so I need new stuff. Are you talking about Resident Evil? You know the part where they're close to the Red Queen's Chambers and those three people get stuck inside and….hey, that's not a bad idea. Thanks!

Sess' Demonic Tenshii: I'm truly sorry about the long updates. I'm trying to get on the ball about that. I'll try to be a little faster so you don't have to (gulp) dish out the threats.

StormAZ: First, I would like to congratulate you. You're the first person I know of to call him dense. Sesshou hasn't exactly figured her out because it's one thing to watch a person, and it's another thing to talk to them. The only way to get to know someone is to know they're mind, and that's hard for him when he can't talk. The memory of Mai was basically explaining why he isn't as hostile as he used to be, and why Kikyou's there with him despite the fact that he tortures her and such.

Sesshoumaru Lover1: Some parts of the chapter are Sesshoumaru's memory, and others are where he talks to Kikyou. Anything in "" by itself is him talking to Kikyou. Poor thing. (puts pillow underneath your head and tiptoes away)

ScarWind_99: I didn't mean $100 dollars, I meant $100 extra dollars. Sorry about that. Her rent's about $425 without him, so it's $540 now, with the doggie door and all.