InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Wedding Bells and A Changing of the Moon! ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own it so please don’t sue. Oh, and for you guys on A Single Spark, I swear I didn’t mean to post this four times. I saw a couple of screw ups in the chapter itself and before I knew it there were four of them. I’ve thought about deleting the story completely and re-posting it but...I’m far too lazy for something like that. Give me time and those four chapter twenty-ones will be little more than an unpleasant memory. Ok, now-


On with the Show! (Lol)



Chapter Twenty-Two: Wedding Bells and A Changing of the Moon!


And so time marches on, myself and my constant ‘companion’ traversing the rest of the war-torn world in search of...


Something
...


Even now I am not sure what, but it would seem that my search is over, or at least delayed. The coward managed to elude me, despite my best efforts to gather information to his whereabouts. It is my guess that Genki was killed during the war. Inuyasha has also tried to assist but has come across the same dead ends.


Vengeance, it would seem, has escaped m
e....


But something else has not...


(I)


The small room was bustling with activity, the few bridesmaids and other women buzzing around Sango like happy little worker bees as she huffed and readjusted her dress. The nuptials were set to begin at 7:00 that night, with a brief photo session afterward, and time was already running toward 6:45.


“It’s too tight,” she said as she pulled the strapless bodice up. “And the bodice keeps falling down.”


“Then how is it too tight?” Kagome teased and gently pushed Sango back to the little covered stool she was sitting on. “Be still or you’re going to mess up you’re hair.”


“Fine.” Sango huffed again, then placed her gloved hands in her lap, obedient for the time being while Kagome finished her makeup. Kagome smiled, knowing how little her friend liked being dressed up in spite of how beautiful she looked. To Kagome, Sango looked like a fairy tale princess on her wedding day. Her dress was a lovely creme, with the bodice and skirt as separate pieces. Both had delicate embroidery and seed pearls that sparkled in the light of the church’s dressing room. Her hair was up in a French twist decorated with a string of pearls, and her veil was attached to a simple comb headpiece embellished with tiny silk roses.


“You’re so beautiful Sango,” Kagome complimented and giggled at her friend’s answering blush. “My cousin’s a lucky guy.”


“Yeah well, he’d better not forget it,” Sango replied with a sly wink. “Not if he knows what’s good for ‘em.” They both laughed, the tension of the day easing off of their shoulders. “Thanks Kagome,” Sango said once their giggles quieted. “I really appreciate that.”


“You’re welcome. Hey, what color lipstick did you want?”


“I didn’t want one remember,” Sango said and leaned toward the makeup table. “I wanted that blush colored gloss.”


“Oh yeah,” Kagome nodded. “Sorry about that.” Sango held still while Kagome worked, her eyes downcast so she could watch before she remembered something.


“So,” Sango began innocently. “Who’d you bring to this shin-dig anyway?”


“Wha?” Kagome muttered with the tip of her tongue between her teeth in concentration. “What was that?”


“I asked who you’re date was.”


“Oh. Um...I don’t exactly have a date-“

“What?” Sango hissed and pushed the lipstick brush aside. “I thought you said-“


“I called him but he couldn’t make it,” Kagome said before Sango could make a scene. “What? Don’t give me that look. He’s had a business for far longer than he’s known me. I can’t just expect him to drop everything for me.”


“And why not?” Sango asked and frowned when Kagome ignored her. “Look Kagome-“


“Let’s not talk about this ok?” Kagome interrupted with a final sweep of the brush. “This is your wedding. Don’t spend it worrying about me or you won’t have any happy memories about it. Besides, Miroku should get all of your attention today, remember?”


“Yeah, yeah,” was Sango’s reluctant answer. She held still so Kagome could start on her eyes and stayed quiet, though she felt the conversation was far from over.


‘Sango worries too much,’ Kagome said to herself as she wiped the excess from Sango’s mascara brush. ‘I mean, she’s my friend and she cares about me, so I guess its natural for her to want me to have the same happiness she has with Miroku. I’m sure I will, just not right now.


‘It would be nice though...’


Kagome blinked and instead of Sango sitting in front of her, she saw the ivory stone steps leading up to her family’s shrine. ‘Huh?’ Kagome said before she began to move forward. ‘Wha-what’s going on?’ She looked down at a slight glittering near her hand and gaped at the golden thread rimmed along the sleeves of her pristine white kimono. Soft pink embroidered rose petals fluttered along her right sleeve and around her waist along her blood red obi. She looked up, then walked toward a noise and ended up at the shrine’s pavilion, where large white flowers stood in beautiful crystal vases around it. People were seated in a group of chairs, a red velvet runner split down the middle to stop at her feet. They turned to her and smiled as she walked down the runner toward the end, and recognized Sango, Miroku, her mother and her brother among the crowd.


She came to a stop in front of her grandfather, who was wearing his ceremonial robes. He smiled at her and gestured toward a man standing with his back to her. He was dressed in a red gi, his haori sleeves rimmed in shimmering golden thread and his dark hair pulled away from his face. He turned to her and smiled, and Kagome gaped as Sesshoumaru patiently gazed back at her.

“Sesshoumaru?” she whispered in surprise. “What are we doing here? What’s going on?”


“You’re here with me Kagome,” he whispered with the same charming smile. He held his hand out to her, his fingers curled imploringly with his open palm toward the sky. “Which is where you’re meant to be. Stay with me Kagome.” His smile widened and his eyes began to glow with the setting sun behind her, his gaze turning from a light brown to a deep burnished gold.


“Stay...”


“Kagome!̶ 1;


Kagome blinked and shook her head, then frowned down at Sango as she glared up at her. “Uh, what?”


“What happened to you just now?” Sango demanded worriedly. “I’ve been calling you for a few minutes now and you never said a word. What’s wrong?”


“Nothing,” Kagome said and she mentally shoved the disturbing image from her mind. “I was daydreaming, that’s all.”


“Oh. Well are you sure you’re ok?”


“Of course I’m sure.” Kagome laughed to ease her mind and to assure Sango before patting her on the shoulder. “That’s it. You’re done.”


“Really? Let me see.” Kagome stepped aside and watched as Sango happily preened in front of the vanity mirror. She was happy for Sango, and a little jealous-but it was a happy jealous, a ‘I can’t wait for that to be me’ jealous and she hoped that everything her best friend could ever want would come true.


‘Anything to make Sango happy...’


(II)

Sesshoumaru stretched across the living room floor, his snowy head resting on his paws as he absently stared at the front door. He scratched at his fur, displeasure marring his mental landscape as he surveyed what remained of his fur. It had grown in the last two weeks, the hair now two inches and refusing to lie flat. He now walked in a perpetual thundercloud of annoyance, his ire only intensifying when Sango referred to Sesshoumaru as a ‘walking makeup puff’.


‘The nerve of that human,’ Sesshoumaru frowned, then sighed and flopped onto his side. ‘She is lucky to be Kagome’s friend, or else...’ He closed his eyes and instantly saw Kagome’s disappointed face, a sigh escaping his formerly silent form. Aoshi called Kagome earlier in the week and informed her of ‘Sesshoumaru’s’ inability to attend her cousin’s ceremony. Her disappointment was evident immediately and he was still feeling the emotional aftermath.


‘It should not matter to me,’ he said to himself, his golden eyes narrowed as he huffed and glared at a nearby wall. But try as he might, he couldn’t get the image of her sad eyes out of his mind, the sapphire orbs low and disappointed.


‘And all because of me.’


Sesshoumaru sighed then, and did the last thing he ever thought he would do. ‘Kikyou, what do you think about this?’ he asked and frowned when the normally talkative miko refused to answer him. ‘Kikyou? Woman, present yourself this instant.’ He sat up, a frown set on his mental features as he wondered as to where she could be.


‘This is not normal,’ Sesshoumaru said to himself. ‘She is usually so loud but now...the only time the miko went silent is when-‘ He yipped before he could stop himself, his golden eyes wide in shock as tiny stabs of pain began in his lower back.


‘It is not time!’ was his thought before he dashed for the back door. The microchip embedded in his collar informed the pet door of his speedy approach and it slid open seconds before he burst out into the back yard. The pain intensified then spread up his back and down to his extremities. Sesshoumaru growled when a particularly painful wave nearly flattened him, his eyes squeezed shut before he was able to get up on his feet again.


He realized that he wouldn’t make it over the fence in his condition and settled for the next best thing: Kagome’s toolshed. He nudged the door open with his snout, his teeth ground together as he slipped inside the tiny crack and flopped inside. Sesshoumaru shuddered violently, the painful spasms shooting up his legs in massive waves that left him breathless and temporally blind.

The pain ended as suddenly as it came and Sesshoumaru, now human, brushed aside the heavy layers of his crimson gi and checked himself over. ‘That was...odd...’ he said to himself and stood up. ‘And slightly more painful than the last time. Could it be because of the spell’s schedule chan-‘ He stopped, hazel eyes widened slightly, as he stared at his reflection in a nearby mirror. His hair was short in this form too, the dark river of tresses clipped close to the back of his head and around his rounded ears. His bangs still fell into his eyes and, with an approving flick of his fingers, he turned away from the mirror toward the duffle bag hidden behind it.


‘What is going on?’ he silently wondered as he rummaged around for his cellphone. ‘Why am I human now, instead of tomorrow night like always? Keh, now is not the time for this,’ he decided as he pushed the numbers to Inuyasha’s business phone. ‘I will use this to my advantag-‘


“Taishou’s office,” said a voice that sounded a lot like his own. “Sesshoumaru Taishou speaking.”


“Aoshi, it is me.”


“Se-Sesshoumaru-sama?” was Aoshi’s surprised growl as his voice rose to it’s original tenor. “What are you doing calling? I thought-“


“So did I,” Sesshoumaru cut in sharply. “There are things I need and-“


“Say no more Sesshoumaru-sama,” Aoshi chirped back as the sound of flurrying papers sounded on the other end of the phone. “I’m already on it. Jaken will be there to pick you up in a couple of minutes.”


III.


“Ladies and Gentlemen,” the deejay announced as the wedding guests turned toward the entranceway. “I’m proud to present to you, for the first time anywhere, Mr. And Mrs. Miroku Higurashi!!!”


The crowd cheered as Miroku and Sango entered the room and white rose petals fluttering down from nets set up on the ceiling. They smiled and waved to the crowd, then plucked the rose petals out of their hair before moving to the center of the pavilion.

The reception was set up outside on the hotel grounds where they held their ceremony. The enormous white tent sparkled with tiny pinpoints of light wound up the covered poles of the tent. Chocolate roses marked the places of each guest at the fifteen round tables set up along the sides of the tent. Sango and Miroku moved past all of the beautiful settings to a large clearing in the center of the area. “And now,” the deejay’s booming voice said over the loudspeaker. “The new Higurashi’s will share their first dance.” Miroku and Sango smiled, and the crowd “awwww”ed, when the couple’s favorite song began to play. Souta smiled and nudged Kagome, who smiled back and waved as the couple began their first dance together.


“Isn’t it romantic?” Uma sighed happily, her brown eyes bright and dreamy as she watched the pair dance. “Gosh, I can’t wait to get married.”


“Uh oh Sou,” Kageromaru said and smirked impishly. “It sounds like you’re going to be the next one taking that big step.”


“Feh, that’s what you think,” Souta ‘whispered’ with a scowl. “I’m not doin’ a thing until I graduate college.”


“That’s admirable of you boy,” Miroku’s father commented as he passed by. “That way you’ll be able to take care of your family. Don’t let them push you into anything too early.” He patted Souta’s shoulder and walked away, following his wife to a nearby table where Sango’s mom and grandmother were already seated.


“Come on you guys, let’s sit down,” Kagome suggested. Kageromaru ran off to find Kirara, leaving the siblings to find a table on their own. Souta followed Kagome reluctantly, his head down and his eyes focused elsewhere as Uma went on about wedding dresses, veils and flowers for bouquets. Kagome peered over her shoulder and giggled at his distress but her face quickly schooled itself into calm observance when Souta pinned her with a desperate glare.


“Oh come on,” Kagome cajoled softly as she took her seat. “Just sit down and have something to drink.” A waited approached their table, a bottle of champagne in his hands, and Kagome held her hand over her glass and shook her head. “Water please, if you don’t mind.”


“Hell I mind,” Souta said as he grabbed the bottle. “Hey man, keep ‘em comin’.”


“Oh no way,” Kagome disagreed and snatched the bottle away from him. “You’re only 20. You’ve still got a full year before you can drink.”


“Aww come on,” Souta pouted. Kagome scowled and, after pinning the waiter with charming and trusting orbs, said, “Do you think you could tell the rest of the staff about him? I’m sorry to be a pest, but he’s the only one here who’s not allowed to drink.”


“Of course ma’am,” the waited bowed and nodded. “I’ll tell the rest of the staff immediately.”


“Thank you,” Kagome called after him and grinned at Souta’s sour look. She looked up when the music changed and jumped up. “Come on you guys,” she said as she grabbed Souta’s and Uma’s arms and pulled. “Let’s dance!”


“OK!” Uma jumped up and followed Kagome to the dance floor, then turned around just as Kagome picked out a place to dance. “Hey,” she said when she turned around. “Where’s Souta?”


“Um, I don’t know,” Kagome shrugged. “I didn’t see him walk off. Souta!” Uma walked off and Kagome smiled before turning toward the nearest person. “Uncle Ryu,” she greeted as she bent over to give the older man a hug. “How are you?”


“As fine as can be expected,” was his growled answer. His hand gripped his cane tightly and he brushed down the sides of his tuxedo like an irritated two year old. “These old bones hurt something fierce. Oh how I wish I could get out there with you youngsters and shake my shimmy.”


“I don’t see why you can’t,” Kagome laughed as she gently grasped his arm and gestured toward the dance floor. “I’m looking for a dance partner anyway.”


“Well come on then girlie,” he said as he pulled her onto the floor. “Let’s go cut a rug! I remember this one girl I met during the war, before your aunt! Oh wee could she shake her hips!” Kagome laughed as he began another of his wild stories, unaware of the bright set of hazel eyes that watched her from the side of the tent.


He leaned against a nearby tent pole and studied her, admiring the curves and the long satin halter dress that flowed over them like melted chocolate. The waist was high but her back was completely bare, with her hair swept into an updo that left a single tendril to curl in a c in the middle of her back. She turned and he drank in her sad blue eyes and happy smile as she twirled around. Her heart-shaped face was perfect and for the first time he was gazing at it without her hair in the way. She glanced up for a moment before she completed her turn. He saw her gasp and knew he was spotted. ‘Well then,’ he said to himself as he vacated his spot and made his way toward her. ‘It wold seem I’ve been discovered.’


‘Oh my gosh,’ Kagome said to herself and looked over her shoulder. ‘Is that really-‘


“What is it Kagome?” Uncle Ryu asked as he peered around the side of her. “Is something the matter?”


“No, not at all Uncle.” Kagome turned around again and stared into the crowd, her eyes expectant and bright as she searched for whatever it was that caught her attention. She sighed finally and turned around. “Nevermind,” she said softly, her voice barely heard over the roar of the music. “I just thought I saw-“


“Kindly repeat yourself. I’m having a bit of trouble hearing you.”


Kagome looked up quickly, her eyes widening in surprise and a huge smile forming on her bubble gum pink lips when hazel orbs smiled into her own. “Sesshoumaru?” she gasped in surprise. Her hands flew to her lips in shock and she launched herself into his arms before either of them could think. He caught her and spun her around, her light giggle in his ears and her arms around his neck.


“Oh my gosh!” Kagome chirped excitedly when he put her down. “What are you doing here? When did you get here? I thought your assistant said you couldn’t make it.”


“And so I could not,” Sesshoumaru answered and laughed when she began to bounce on the tips of her toes. “But certain things happened in my favor and well, here I am.”


“Yeah, I can see that!” Kagome giggled and hugged him again. “It’s so good to see you!”


Sesshoumaru accepted her hug and gave her one as well, his brows furrowed slightly at the small hardness pressed into his chest. He looked down when she pulled away and marveled at the long golden chain nestled within the deep v of her dress. “What is this?” he asked as he reached forward. Kagome looked down and blushed, then palmed the pendant and held it up for his inspection. The golden chain was thin, dainty, and long enough to nestle itself within the warmth of her breasts. The pendant itself still retained that warmth, and the small egg-shaped coil of gold rattled slightly when he rolled it around his hand. Inside were two of the diamonds he gave her, and he quirked a brow at her blush.


“I hope you don’t mind,” she replied bashfully. “I saw this in the store and thought the two would be perfect together.”

“Now why would I mind?”


“Um...hey!” Kagome reached up and flicked aside a part of his bang. “What happened to your hair? It’s so different!”


“Yes well,” he commented and brushed it back into place. “It was decided that I needed a change.”


“I kinda like it,” she said and laughed at Sesshoumaru’s incredulous stare. “What? I do! Don’t get me wrong, I liked your hair long too but this is so...I don’t know...bad boy I suppose.”


“Bad boy?” Sesshoumaru repeated. He shook his head when she nodded, amusement dancing in his eyes as he considered what she said. “Hn. I guess I will have to see about keeping it then.”


“You don’t have to because of me-“ She looked up when the music changed, a radiant smile forming on her lips when it sped up. “Come on!” Kagome said before grabbing his hand and tugging him further toward the crowd. “Let’s dance!”


Sesshoumaru followed her willingly, his ears twitching slightly at the blaring music and was slightly confused at the lyrics of the song. “Kagome,” he yelled over the music. “What is this ‘Electric Slice’?”


“It’s Electric Slide,” Kagome corrected and turned toward him. “You don’t know what the electric slide is?” She stared in open mouthed shock at his negative answer. “Really? Well I’m going to teach you.”


“I do not know about this,” Sesshoumaru replied as she tugged him into place beside her. “I do not usually dance.”


“It’s easy, I promise,” she assured him. “See? All it is is this.” She turned him around, reached underneath his dark tuxedo jacket and hooked her fingers around his belt loops before moving him into the steps. “See?” she whispered into his coat. “It’s not that hard is it?”


“I feel ridiculous,” he growled softly and huffed when she laughed.

“I’m sorry,” she giggled in apology. “But you sound a lot like Chance when you do that.”


‘Hn. I wonder why,’ he said to himself. He allowed her to lead him over the dance floor, her radiant smile and glowing eyes a fair trade for how embarrassed he felt (but would certainly never show). ‘There is one small favor in all of this,’ Sesshoumaru said to himself as one song ended and another song began. ‘At least no one outside of her family will see this.’ He adjusted the top of his mandarin collar and stopped when the music ended.


“Ladies and Gentlemen, if you please,” Kageromaru began and grinned down at Juromaru as he continued to bang on a glass goblet. Kageromaru tapped the tot’s shoulder, and the audience laughed when Juromaru looked up and gave Kageromaru a wide and toothy grin. “Thank you little man,” Kageromaru said as he picked him up. “Now like I was saying; Thank you everyone, for your attention. I’m Miroku’s best man-well one of them anyway-and I just want to wish Sango and Miroku the best.” He raised the goblet towards the happy couple, who waved and smiled back before he gestured to Kagome. “I’m sure the maid of honor would like to say a few words.”


Sango and Miroku turned and laughed when Kagome blushed, obviously embarrassed by the whole situation, and walked toward the microphone. Her fingers were intertwined with someone in the crowd and the couple guessed as the who the well-dressed stranger could be while Kagome began her toast.


“Well, I’ve known the pair had couple potential for the longest,” Kagome began with an apologetic smile toward Sango. “I think they knew it too. I’m really happy for you guys and Sango: Thanks for not killing my cousin.” The crowd laughed as she passed the mic back to Kageromaru. She stopped when he gestured toward her and frowned when he whispered something in her ear. She whispered back and walked away, her displeasure melting away once she was in Sesshoumaru’s reach.


“What was that about?” he inquired and quirked a brow when she tossed an angry glare back at her cousin.


“That was nothing,” she assured him. “Ignore him, he’s being a jerk. That’s my cousin, Kageromaru, by the way.”


“Ah.”


Sesshoumaru turned just as the crowd began to move away from them toward the center of the dance floor. “What is happening now?” he asked when Souta ran past them with a chair.


“Oh, um...I think it’s the bouquet toss.”

“The what?”


“It’s where a group of women stand behind the bride, like that-“ Kagome gestured toward a crowd standing behind Sango “-and wait for the bride to toss her bouquet toward them. Whoever catches it is said to be the next to be married.”


“I see,” Sesshoumaru nodded, and before he could ask Kagome answered another question, this time about the chair Souta scampered off with.


“The chair is for Sango to sit down in, so Miroku can take her garter off.”


“For what purpose?”


“So he can toss it toward a couple of guys in the crowd. It’s supposed to mean the same as the bouquet. It’s an English tradition, I think.” She turned toward Sesshoumaru, her surprise evident as she pinned his gaze with her own. “Haven’t you ever heard of this?”


The women of the crowd began to make a noise, effectively distracting Kagome enough for him to change the subject. “If you would excuse me Kagome,” he whispered into her ear with his hands on her shoulders to hold her in place. “I believe I will sit this one out.”


“You’re not going to be in the garter toss?” Kagome called after him, then huffed and walked toward the rest of the women when he didn’t answer her. Sesshoumaru sat down at a nearby table, one with Kagome’s purse sitting on the tabletop, and watched as one of the bridesmaids tugged Kagome toward the center of the group. Sango teased them first, pretending to toss the bunch of creamy white roses over her shoulder before finally flinging it into the air. The scramble toward the flying flora was maddening and it reminded Sesshoumaru of a contact sport without the protective pads. Women went diving toward the floor, the screeching and yells nearly deafening before a victor came out from underneath the dog pile.


“Uh oh Souta,” he heard someone in the crowd laugh as Uma danced around. “Looks like you’re next.” The young man muttered something that sounded suspiciously like “I’ll be damned” and Sesshoumaru watched as Souta sank down into the chair beside him.


“Some people, you know,” Souta said as his arms flopped across his chest. “Man, I hate that asshole.”


“Souta, did you see me!” Uma called out as she and Kagome bounced toward them. She happily waved the bouquet in his face and was unfazed when he nudged it aside. “I can’t believe I caught it!”


“More like gave three women a concussion for it,” Sesshoumaru heard Kagome mumble. She gave him his signature Brow Quirk and smiled, her demeanor full of mischief and amusement at Souta’s expense, and turned back to the dance floor where the garter toss was beginning. Sesshoumaru watched her and wondered how such dynamite and unpredictability could live within such a demure package. Her bun sat high on the back of her head, that same tendril now skimming over her shoulders to caress her neck. Her neck was long and graceful and so caught up was he in her that he didn’t notice her moving, watching something in the sky until her sapphire orbs connected with his own.


Kagome gasped, her fingertips coming to rest against her upper lip, and Souta collapsed into laughter before Sesshoumaru could ask what happened.


“Sesshoumaru!” Kagome called out and pointed toward his empty champagne glass. “Look!”


He did as instructed and frowned, a deep mar distorting his forehead as he looked into the glass. He picked it up and attempted to shake Sango’s garter out, then reached inside and plucked it free.


“Hey you guys, look!” someone in the crowd hollered above the confusion. “He caught it!” The groomsmen surged toward him and Sesshoumaru begrudgingly accepted their congratulations. They were soon by themselves again, with Souta snickering in the background as Sango and Miroku came to the table.


“Wow, that was a great catch Uma,” Miroku commented while Sango and Kagome hugged each other. Sesshoumaru watched their conversation a moment, then glanced toward the dance floor. He stood up and walked away just as Kagome turned to introduce him.


“Guys this is-where did he go?”


“Who?” Uma asked. “That hot guy that was just sitting here? OW! What?” she cried out when Souta nudged her side. “He is hot Sou!”

“So?” Souta grumbled back then turned toward the dance floor. “He went that way.”


Kagome turned just as Juromaru ran past them, his mother in hot pursuit and calling for him to slow down. Juromaru slid in a wet spot on the floor, his little feet flying up in the air and a frightened yowl escaping his mouth. Strong, sure hands swooped down and caught Juromaru before he could land and, in a swirl of black, the toddler found himself sitting in the crook of Sesshoumaru’s arm.


“Oh my goodness!” Juromaru’s mother cried as Sesshoumaru returned the child to her arms. “Thank you so much sir! I’m so sorry!”


“There is nothing to apologize for,” was Sesshoumaru’s stoic reply. He accepted her thanks for a few seconds more, then excused himself and returned to Kagome’s table.


“Forgive me,” he said and leaned forward to brush his lips against Kagome’s forehead. “My attentions were required elsewhere.”


“It’s no problem,” Kagome replied and blushed at the knowing look on Sango’s face. “Guys, this is-“


“Sesshoumaru, right?” Sango intervened and reached out to shake Sesshoumaru’s hand. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”


“Really?” Miroku replied as he reached toward Sesshoumaru and did the same. “I haven’t heard a word. When did you two have this discussion?”


“Girl talk,” was Sango’s answer. Miroku “ooh”ed and nodded. “I see. Well that’s a subject I won’t touch.”


“Not with a ten foot pole,” Souta muttered in agreement. Sesshoumaru nodded in agreement, then pulled a blue box out of his jacket pocket. “For the bride and groom,” he replied at their curious glances. “But please,” he said before Sango could receive it. “Do not open it just yet.”


Sango and Miroku exchanged confused glances before turning to Kagome, who merely shrugged in answer. “Well, um,” Sango finally said and smiled. “Thank you. We’ll be sure to open it once we get onboard our flight.”

“Where are you guys going?” Uma asked eagerly. “Is it someplace beautiful?”


“Well...um...”


&# 8220;You see, we decided-“


“They’re going to Osaka,” Souta muttered around the lip of his glass. “There’s supposed to be some sort of festival there, or something.”


“Souta!” Kagome hissed in embarrassment. “Don’t you think they wanted to tell us?”


“Yeah, well, they acted like they were embarrassed to say anything so I helped out.”


IV.

The reception ended smoothly with the happy couple whisked away in a white limo in the end. The guests ambled away soon afterward leaving Kagome, Kagome’s mother, and Sango’s mother and grandmother to clean up with the wait staff. Souta and Uma left as well, leaving Sesshoumaru to watch over the women. He carried what was too heavy for them to move and helped out where he thought he was needed but for the most part remained to himself and waited for Kagome to finish.


“Hey!”


He turned around just as Kagome bounded toward him, her heeled sandals in her hand while she stopped and caught her breath. “I’m so sorry about keeping you,” she apologized. “I hope you didn’t wait too long.”


“Of course not,” was his stoic reply. “Are you ready?”


“Yeah, just let me tell Mom bye and grab one of the leftover plates.” She ran off again and he watched as she hugged Mrs. Higurashi, then Sango’s mom and grandmother before grabbing a paper plate and returning to his side. “OK,” she chirped with a smile. “I’m ready.” She followed him to the parking lot where another limo, this one an inconspicuous black, was parked at the furthest reaches of the area. The driver’s side door opened when they were a few steps away and Myouga hopped out and gave the both of them a reverent bow.


“Good evening Taishou-san, Kagome-san,” Myouga greeted with a wide grin. “I trust your evening went well?”


“Quite. Myouga-“


“You’ve been sitting out here this entire time?” Kagome asked once she got over her surprise at seeing him.


Myouga nodded. “Yes, milady, but please don’t-“


“Sesshoumaru!”


WHAP!


“Ow,” Sesshoumaru hissed and grabbed his upper arm. “What was that about?”


“Why didn’t you tell me Myouga was out here?” she demanded instead, her right hand balled in a fist and ready to hit him again. “He’s been out here this entire time and you never said a word! I could have brought him something or he could have come in or-“


“Please Kagome-san,” Myouga intervened quickly. “I didn’t mind being out here. I didn’t need anything either. Please don’t be angry with Taishou-san.”


“Hmnh.” Kagome frowned, turned away from them and folded her arms, her eyes closed and her upturned nose belying her displeasure. “I guess I can let this go,” she remarked after a moment’s silence. “But next time-“ she whirled around and shook her finger at Sesshoumaru “You’ll let me know if he’s out here.”


Sesshoumaru reached forward and grasped her arm, his eyes narrowed slightly as he looked down at her. “And next time you will refrain from striking me.”


“Well maybe next time I won’t have a reason to,” was her quick and fearless reply as she glared up at him. They held their silent battle for what felt like ages before Sesshoumaru laughed and shook his head.


“You are quite the feisty one,” was his reply before opening one of the limo’s back doors. Kagome “hmnh!”ed again but got in, their argument forgiven as she disappeared inside. Sesshoumaru entered behind her and waited for Myouga to shut the door before turning to glance at his little spitfire. “Are you still angry?”


“I’m not angry per say,” Kagome answered. “But I do feel kinda guilty. He shouldn’t have sat out here so long. If I knew he were out here I wouldn’t have kept you so long.”


“So,” Sesshoumaru said and waited for her to look at him before continuing. “You would have asked me to leave then?”


“Well no, not exactly but-“


“Or you would have had your cousins ask me to leave?”


“Um, no...but-“


“Then this conversation is moot.”


Her lips pursed together in a pout and Sesshoumaru once again found himself in her displeasure as she turned away from him to knock on the sliding mirror access.


“Myouga?”


“Yes Kagome-san,” he said when the glass separating them slid to the side. “What is it?”

“Here.” She passed him the wrapped paper plate she was carrying. “Take this.”


“Kagome-san, I can’t-“


“Please,” she pleaded with huge, soulful eyes. “I feel so bad about you sitting out here and I’d really like for you to have it.”


“Well...” Myouga sniffed the plate’s contents eagerly, his eyes sparkling excitedly before taking the plate from her hands. “If you insist.”


“I do. Thanks Myouga.”


Myouga smiled back at her concern, then glanced behind her at Sesshoumaru. “Taishou-san, where would you like to go?”


“Ask Kagome,” Sesshoumaru replied with a flippant wave of his hand. “She will decide our destination.”


“Wha? But I-I don’t know where to go.”


“Choose someplace,” Sesshoumaru replied patiently. “It does not matter where. Is there anyplace you would like to go?”


“Um...well...” Kagome considered it for a moment, her index finger lightly tapping her chin, before she had an idea. “How about the beach?” she suggested hopefully. “We’re really close to it and I don’t really feel like going home yet.”


“The beach it is,” Sesshoumaru agreed. “Myouga?”


“Of course,” Myouga said and started the car. The sliding mirror separated them again, leaving Kagome and Sesshoumaru in an uncomfortable silence.


“Kagome-“


“I’m sorry for hitting you,” she blurted out suddenly. “I’m sorry for yelling at you like that too. It’s really not my business to question how you treat your staff.”


“I accept your apology,” Sesshoumaru replied, though he was inwardly surprised at how quickly she admitted her wrongdoing. “I should apologize as well. I do not believe I helped matters. Besides...” He reached forward and grasped her hand, his thumb making gentle circles against the back of it while she continued to look out the window. “I should have known that it would upset you to know he remained behind.”


“I’m still sorry,” Kagome commented and blushed when she finally turned back to him.


“Yes,” Sesshoumaru nodded and pulled her off of her seat to sit beside him. She rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes when he draped his arm over her shoulders. “I’m sure you will recover from it.”


88888888

“Kagome!” Sesshoumaru called out, his deep baritone barely carrying out against the crashing waves. “Wait a moment! Do not go out so far!”


“She’s quite the spirit, huh Sesshoumaru-sama?” Myouga laughed and watched as Kagome made her way across the rocks leading to the sand. He quieted when Sesshoumaru glared at him, then waited until Sesshoumaru was a good distance away to laugh again, this time it being a quick snicker behind his hand before returning to the inside of the limo and the yummy plate waiting on him.


“Kagome,” Sesshoumaru called out and watched as she stepped out of her shoes. She left them behind and continued on, leaving him to retrieve her discarded footwear as he followed her toward the water. “Kagome, wait!” He shed his jacket and unbuttoned his shirt collar, the quarter-sized blue stone button coming undone with a simple twist of his deft fingers. Sesshoumaru looked up and found Kagome waiting on him with her bare toes wigging in the cooling sand.


“Isn’t this great?” she asked when he finally reached her. “I love the sea! It’s so mysterious and wild. Don’t you think so?”


“About some things, yes,” Sesshoumaru answered truthfully, his eyes once again pinned to her as she reached up and began to pull the numerous bobby pins from her updo. She gave her head a hard shake, then quickly combed her fingers through the thick mass of waves before passing Sesshoumaru her bobby pins.


“Hold these for me, will you?” She asked then dropped the slender metal slivers into his palm and dashed toward the waves before he could protest. Kagome laughed when the first wave lapped at her feet, the gentle water and the soggy sand squishing between her toes. Sesshoumaru spread his jacket on the ground, sat down, and waited for Kagome to get her fill.


“Kagome,” he called out when the edges of her dress were becoming soaked. “You are ruining your dress.”


“Really?” Kagome looked down, a slight frown twisting her lips, before reaching for the helm of her dress. “Well I won’t be wearing this again,” she muttered to herself seconds before she began to tear the fabric. She struggled for a few moments before jogging up to Sesshoumaru, who gave her an incredulous glance when she asked for his help. He mentally shrugged but did as she asked and created a small tear in the fabric. Kagome grasped the torn ends and continued to tear, the makeshift split rising until it was well above mid-thigh before she ran back to the water.


“I do not believe that to be a good idea,” Sesshoumaru proposed and shook his head when she didn’t reply. “Silly onna,” he whispered, unaware of how fond of her he sounded while the waves crashed against the shore.


“I’m so happy for them,” Kagome’s admission suddenly interrupted Sesshoumaru’s train of thought.


“Happy for whom?”


“Sango and Miroku, silly,” Kagome laughed as another wave rushed into her. “I think those two have been in love since we were in school. Miroku used to aggravate her-well, grope her really-and she used to chase after him. Miroku would run halfway across the school before finding someplace safe to hide, then he’d come out and do it all over again.” Kagome laughed and shook her head, her eyes at half mass as she recalled the fond memories. “Honestly, I think Miroku did it for the attention.” She sighed then and gazed at the midnight sea and the waves that had yet to come toward the shore.


“I’m happy for them. It’s about time they got married, and Sango got to have her dream wedding too.”


“And what about you?” Sesshoumaru inquired curiously. “Surely you have some sort of plan as to what you want when you marry?” He was surprised when she fell silent, her shoulders slightly rigid as she continued to stand in the soggy beach away from him. “Kagome, what is it?” he asked in concern. “What’s wrong?”


“Nothing,” Kagome answered with a quick shake of her head. “It’s just that...I’m not the marrying kind.”


Sesshoumaru was confused and wondered what caused her to make such a statement. He mentally listed her many assets and found her to be quite suitable, even perfect, to be someone’s better half. “Why is that?” he asked. “You seem as if you would make the perfect wife from where I’m sitting.”


“That’s not my purpose in life,” she replied softly and he strained to hear her over the sounds of the beach. “I’m a healer. I fix whatever’s wrong and afterward you go on your way and I’m left behind to help someone else.”


“Do you believe that is my intention?” Sesshoumaru asked, her choice of words not disregarded by him as she toed a nearby seashell. “Kagome, did you hear-“


“Oh look!” she cried out suddenly. “I think I see a sand dollar!” She ran off before he could get an answer, leaving him to keep guard over her as she continued to explore the shore. Kagome continued on for what felt like hours before finally sitting down beside him, her head resting once again on his shoulder as they stared at the stars.


“Come on Kagome,” Sesshoumaru said after he checked his watch. “The dawn shall be upon us in a few hours time. Let us return you.” He looked down and found her asleep, her head still lulled against his shoulder as she snuggled closer to him. Sesshoumaru sighed to himself, then reached his arm underneath her knees and picked her up. He assured himself of his grasp of her before moving back toward the car. Myouga jumped out and quickly opening the back passenger door for them before scrambling back to the beach to retrieve Sesshoumaru’s discarded coat and Kagome’s shoes.


Sesshoumaru maneuvered them awkwardly, his every attempt to place Kagome into the car backfiring until he accidentally fell backward into the cab. He landed on his backside on the plush carpet and Myouga closed the door behind them before he could readjust himself. ‘Alright then,’ Sesshoumaru said to himself. ‘We shall just have to make this work.’ He adjusted Kagome so that she sat between his legs, her back against his chest and her head leaned back against his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her middle and was just beginning to relax when Kagome shivered.

“Mmm...cold,” she mumbled in her sleep and Sesshoumaru sighed again before gently rubbing her arms. He rubbed slowly, his gaze concerned as he rubbed away the tiny goose pimples on her skin. Kagome moaned again and pressed herself against him. She grasped his pantsleg and sighed, her breath dancing along his neck, and turned so that the tip of her nose brushed against his skin. She reached up and touched his cheek, unknowingly tracing along where the marks of his clan used to be. Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and relished the tingling her cool fingers left in their wake.


Sesshoumaru leaned closer to her, his cheek rubbing soft, slow circles against hers. Kagome sighed again, the tiny sound happy and content as she placed delicate butterfly kisses along his jawline. “Kagome,” Sesshoumaru whispered while she tugged him closer. “Are you awake?”


“Mnhm,” was her sleepy answer. Kagome shifted again, this time turning so that she half faced him, and pressed her petal soft lips against his. Sesshoumaru returned the expression wholeheartedly, his hands moving from her arms to her waist while he enjoyed her attentions. She tasted as good as she looked with a mix of honey, cinnamon and a certain something that he could never quite put his finger on.


He helped Kagome when she began to shift again, this time turning a full 180 degrees to straddle his lap. Her legs grasped his sides and her arms draped lazily around his neck. To Sesshoumaru, this encounter felt different than their previous. Kagome felt more relaxed, the shyness that normally held her back gone as their tongues caressed each other. She was normally so quiet, but today her slight moans of pleasure ran in his ears and stroked his ego like nothing else he’d ever encountered. She felt like heaven, tasted like more and that was before she squirmed to get closer to him.


Kagome’s slender fingers ran through Sesshoumaru’s hair and over his scalp, and in an instant his senses flooded over him. He could suddenly hear her heartbeat, feel the heat coming from her body, smell not only her perfume but the unique chemical signature that was her and could taste her better than anything he had imagined. He was close to figuring out what that unique something was when she clutched the short hairs at the back of his head and pulled. White sparks when off behind his eyes, his vision temporarily blocked off as the jolt traveled from his brain to his groin and back again. He growled his pleasure, unaware of how animalistic and guttural it sounded, and went to reach for her when-


RINGRINGRING RINGGGGGGGGG!


RINGRINGRING RINGGGGGGGGG!


Sesshoumaru jerked back, slight surprise and confusion marring his features before he snarled and reached on the seat behind him for his cellphone. He huffed in aggravation when it slipped his fingers, his nails barely scraping against the leather before he reached again. He picked up the annoyance, then hissed and closed his eyes when Kagome kissed the tip of his ear.

“Hold on,” he huskily whispered to her as he flipped the silver piece open. “Just one moment and I’ll be with you.


“What?”


“Whoah,” Inuyasha chuckled from the other end. “What’s going on Sesshoumaru? Aoshi just told me that you were-“


“I am in the middle of something,” he growled and rubbed Kagome’s back when she returned to his throat. “You and I will have to speak at another time.”


“But Sesshoumaru, I want to tell you something!”


“Another time, brat.”


“Sesshoumar-“ Click.


Sesshoumaru frowned down at the nuisance, hazel eyes sparked in anger before he glanced down at the suddenly docile woman in his lap. “Kagome?” he whispered and nudged her shoulder. “Kagome, are you still with me?”


“Mnmh,” she mumbled and went silent again. He knew this unresponsiveness for what it was and growled, images of strangling Inuyasha with his own white mane flashing in his imagination until-


Crack!


Snap!


“Great, ” Sesshoumaru grumbled as he dropped his phone onto the plush carpet. “Just great. Perfect.”

V.


“We’re here Taishou-sama,” Myouga said as he opened the limousine door. He stood by while his master stepped out of the car, then brushed the wrinkles free from his suit before reaching back inside the limo. He cradled Kagome in the crook of his arm like a toddler, the display of strength surprising to the faithful retainer, and fumbled one-handed inside Kagome’s purse for her keys.


“That is all for the night Myouga,” Sesshoumaru told him before turning toward Kagome’s stone walkway. “Oh, and inform Inuyasha of the accident involving my cellphone.”


“Of course sir.” Myouga stood by while Sesshoumaru opened the door, then turned to close the door when Sesshoumaru disappeared inside. He stopped when something caught his eye and he leaned inside the passenger door to see what it was. The remains of the cellphone that were scattered over the carpet looked as if someone had taken a sledge hammer to the fragile piece of technology, but what caught his attention was the bright yellow stuffing coming out of five rips in the leather upholstery. The stuffing poofed out of what appeared to be claw marks and Myouga blinked in surprise before turning back to Kagome’s front door.


‘I believe Inuyasha-sama will have to hear about this,’ he said to himself, then closed the door, settled behind the steering wheel and made his way toward home.


(End Chapter)


Inu-chan: What are you so happy for?


SF: (red tail swishing happily) What? What was that Inu-chan?


Inu-chan: You heard me. What’s going on? What’s with that smile on her face?


SF: I’m happy as a clam because-


Shippou: It’s your time of the month?

SF: O.O (Inu cast giggles) Excuse me?


Shippou: (points to Naraku) He said that the reason you’re like this is because it’s your time of the month.


SF: You’re dead Monkey Man. Oh, but no darling, not exactly. I’m like this because I’ve got something up my sleeve.


Shippou: Really? Is it good?


SF: (nods) It’s really good.


(Shippou jumps on SF’s shoulder)


Miroku: Inuyasha, have you noticed how much they look alike?


Inu-chan: Who?


(Miroku points to SF and Shippou, who are giggling silently)


Inu-chan: You know what, you’re right. Weird.


Sesshou: What are you hiding crossbreed? It had best not be another of your sly tricks.


SF: Oh no way! Not at all! Um...it’s just that...I’ve pulled a bit of a switcharoo.


(Inu cast ‘?’)

SF: OK look. I’ve decided, during my long absence, that there are going to be a few changes between this site and the Mediaminer/A Single Spark sites. For one, there may be more chapters on those sites than there are here.


Inu-chan: Ok, that’s not that bad.


Sesshou: That is true but trouble normally comes in pairs when dealing with this onna.


SF: (green eyes flashing mischievously) You’d better behave yourself. You remember what happened the last time I was in this form, don’t you? (Grins when Sesshou pales) That’s what I thought. Anyway, the second part is that the content of certain chapters will be different between the sites.


Inu-chan: What’s that supposed to me?


Miroku: (before SF can speak up) That means that SF won’t post the smut on Fanfiction.


SF: O.O’ Yeah, that’s pretty much it. Thanks houshi-sama.


Miroku: Not a problem Guardian-sama. (Bows)


SF: (shakes head) Well that’s it. That’s all I wanted to tell you guys.


Shippou: Oh, and that if you want to read the smut, go to Mediaminer and A Single Spark. The chapter preview is below. Oh and SF, what’s smut?


(SF slaps her forehead and the Inu cast laughs)


Chapter Summary: Sango and Miroku are on honeymoon, leaving Kagome to take care of Sango’s apartment and Mrs. Higurashi to take care of our beloved pooch. Danger strikes on all fronts and the Higurashi women discover something new about their sudden companions.


Next time on Second Chance- Chapter Twenty Three: Unlikely Guardians!


Oh, and please see my profile page for a couple of announcements! Thankx! -SF : )