InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Unlikely Guardians! ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own it. (Writing) That makes 1,897,403...



Chapter Twenty Three: Unlikely Guardians!


(I)


The little blue Beetle scuttled along the wide asphalt streets, the bright flames glittering in the sunlight as it passed other cars and continued along its way. Kagome hummed along with the radio, her head bopping slightly and her fingers tapping the shift control.


‘Should she be doing that?’ Kikyou asked from the sound represses of Sesshoumaru’s mind. ‘I mean, isn’t that dangerous?’ Sesshoumaru shifted lazily, his paws dangling off of the plush back seats, and yawned before settling down again. ‘You’re really something, you know that?’ Kikyou huffed in annoyance. ‘Here I am, worried about your safety and you-‘


‘I would worry if you were behind the wheel, miko,’ he finally replied. ‘Seeing as you are not, this Sesshoumaru has little to fear.’


‘Hey, she ran over you in this car, remember?’ Kikyou retorted angrily. ‘And what’s that crack about me being behind the wheel? Are you saying that you trust her now?!’


‘More than you...’


‘ARGH!!!! You make me so SICK sometimes!’ Kikyou continued to vent for another couple of miles, then sighed and shook her head. ‘Why do I even bother?’


‘Why indeed,’ was Sesshoumaru’s helpful answer. Kikyou thought to make a response to that, but thought better of it and decided to change the subject.


‘Why are we going back to the shrine again?’

Sesshoumaru growled in aggravation, his earlier ire previously forgotten as he sat up and allowed his tail to thunk against the seat. Sango and Miroku left for their honeymoon the morning after the wedding but somehow managed to ask Kagome to housesit during the two weeks they would be gone. Of course Kagome readily and happily agreed, not bothering to ask until later whether or not Sango’s apartment even allowed pets. The answer was a quick, “no” and, seeing as how ‘Chance’ was her baby and all, Kagome made arrangements with her mother for the BFF (Big Fluffy Friend) to stay at the shrine with her mother.


‘She could have just left you at her house you know,’ Kikyou offered in an attempt to cheer him up. ‘Oh wait, that’s right. You’re like her baby and al-‘


‘Woman,’ Sesshoumaru barked testily. ‘You will cease this line of conversation or I will spend these two weeks taking my frustrations out on you.’


‘Oh, well that’s ok then,’ Kikyou giggled nervously. ‘I’ll just leave you alone.’


‘See that you do,’ Sesshoumaru commented off-handedly. The car lurched then, nearly sending Sesshoumaru straight to the carpeted floor, and shook before catching enough traction to move forward and up the hill toward the small parking area on the shrine’s grounds. Hundreds of trees engulfed them, leaving them to drive in the only forest smack dab in the center of Tokyo.


“I know how you feel about staying here Chance,” Kagome called from the front seat. She looked in her rearview mirror at him and giggled when his eyes quickly strayed from hers. “I’m really sorry, but you can’t stay there by yourself and you DEFINITELY can’t stay there with Souta! My gosh, the house would be a mess, and you-poor thing- would be standing in the middle wondering what happened.” She shook her head then, wondering to herself why in the world she asked Souta of all people to look after her apartment. ‘By the time Sango and Miroku get back, my apartment should look like a college bachelor pad. Everything in my cupboard should be wiped out too....Jeez.’

“Ok, we’re here,” she called back as she pulled into one of the vacant parking spaces. She turned off the engine and stepped out, then pulled back the seat so Sesshoumaru could hop out. “You’re going to have a ball Chance,” she told him as she slung his yellow pack over her shoulders. “You’ll get to run through the woods, roll in the grass and you’ll have lots of places to explore.”


‘Yes, I’m so looking forward to that,’ Sesshoumaru groused and padded behind Kagome toward the southwestern part of the shrine grounds. The paved gravel beneath his feet soon became loose stones, the intertwining pathways leading to various destinations around the shrine’s property. They approached the small yellow house in the back of the grounds and found Kagome’s mom sitting on the stairs waiting on them. Kagome smiled in nostalgia, remembering when she and Souta were smaller and still going to school. Once they were big enough to go to ride the bus alone, they could count on coming home to find her sitting on the stairs waiting on them. Time had marched on and she and Souta were no longer little ones, but the sight of her mother in a place she remembered so fondly touched her.


Sesshoumaru looked up at the first scent of tears, his cool nose nudging her hand when he noticed the far away look in her eyes. She blinked, then shook her head and scratched behind one of his ears before continuing on.


‘What was that about?’ Kikyou wondered aloud. Sesshoumaru did not reply, choosing instead to stand by as the two Higurashi women hugged each other in greeting.


“What took so long dear?” Mrs. Higurashi asked and smoothed back a stray part of Kagome’s hair.


“Traffic was awful, as always at this time of morning,” Kagome griped with a roll of her eyes. “It amazes me sometimes how many people can be rushing to get around at the same time and everyone still ends up going the speed of a turtle.”


“You’re not speeding on those roads are you?” Mrs. Higurashi asked as she led Kagome and Sesshoumaru inside. Sesshoumaru huffed at Kagome’s negative answer, then sat by the back door and watched the two argue.


“Oh Mom, you’re always so worried,” Kagome said and plopped the yellow pack onto the back of a nearby couch. “I’m not doing anything dangerous. Jeez, you act like I’m a race car driver or something...”


“I see someone’s forgotten that whole ‘I wanna drive stock cars, Mama!’ period of her life,” Mrs. Higurashi remembered. “You even had a Hello Kitty dirtbike helme-“


“Ok, Mom. OK.” Kagome replied in defeat. “Please, don’t remember that kind of stuff in front of Chance. Gah, how embarrassing.”


“I’m sure you’ve done far more embarrassing things in front of Chance, more embarrassing than anything I could ever say to him. After all, I know how you dress in the mornin-“


OK!” Kagome burst out suddenly, her sudden excitement abusive to both canine and human ears as she shook out one of Chance’s blankets. “Here’s Chance’s bed. I’ll put it right here beside the couch-“ She folded it quickly and dropped it underneath the arm of the couch, then fished out his food bowls and a piece of paper before marching to the kitchen.


“These are his-try to keep Juromaru out of them when he visits-and here’s the recipe for his food.”


“Kagome, slow down,” Mrs. Higurashi called out while Kagome continued to dig through the bag. “You’re going too fast dear.”


“I’ve got to Mom,” Kagome called from inside the bag. She plunked down one last thing, a small white pillow that landed on Sesshoumaru’s blanket, then zipped the bag shut and set it in a nearby corner. “I’m late for work. Don’t worry Chance.” She kneeled in front of him, the split in her skirt leaving her thigh bare. He looked up when she patted his head. “I’m going to call you at lunchtime, ok?”


‘Do what you will,’ Sesshoumaru thought, golden eyes slipping closed when her gentle caress became a soothing scratch behind his ears. ‘It will not be as if I miss you, little human.’


‘Don’t be mean,’ Kikyou shot back once Kagome stood up. ‘I don’t know about you, but I’m going to miss her. I like Kagome.’


‘Then you get to know her.’


‘You know I-‘


Sesshoumaru looked up at Mrs. Higurashi’s sigh and watched as the older woman leaned over to picked up his backpack. “That Kagome,” she said with a wistful smile. “She’s always been the sensitive one.” She moved the pack into a closet, then turned toward Sesshoumaru and smiled. “Chance, is it? Well, Chance, around here there are chores to be done and everyone chips in. Even Buyo, the gigantic tub of kitty lard, is expected to chase mice. Do you think you could be of some use?”


Mrs. Higurashi smiled at Chance’s bark, then patted her leg and moved toward the outside. “Well come on then dear,” she said as she held the door open for him. “Let’s see what you can do.”


(II)

Kagome yawned sleepily, her eyes drifting closed as she shut the door to Sango’s apartment. The two bedroom abode was one floor, and always felt a lot cosier than Kagome’s apartment. She sighed dreamily, stepped out of her shoes and slid down the smooth wooden surface of the door to sat down on the cool tile beneath her. She never could understand why Sango’s apartment affected her in this way, why her nerves just seemed to relax the moment she stepped through the door. Maybe it was her friend’s calm, serene aura that, even when away, still managed to make Kagome fell welcome and at home. Whatever it was, it certainly made not coming home to her BFF a lot easier to handle.


‘But he’s doing fine at Mom’s,’ Kagome told herself when she finally picked herself up and trudged toward the guest room. ‘She said so. I even got to talk to him...well, whatever dogs do cause they certainly can’t talk.’ She thought of him, her imagination granted her the picture of Chance sitting in her high chair with a pair of tortoise rimmed glasses perched high on his broad snout and a copy of Much Ado About Nothing in his giant paws. She giggled at the silliness of it all, shook her head and began to fish her bath things out of her suitcase.


Kagome gasped in surprise when the phone suddenly rang, her hand pressed firmly to her heart as she quickly scanned the room for the sudden sound. She shook her head at herself soon afterward and answered the phone, her weariness forgotten once Sango’s happy voice filled her ears.


“What are you doing calling me?” Kagome questioned accusingly. “You’re supposed to be on your honeymoon for kami’s sake! Where’s Miroku?” Kagome listened a few moments, then inhaled sharply. Peachy skin became beet red soon afterward and Kagome quickly fanned her face. “Heyheyhey,” she interrupted hurriedly. “I didn’t ask for a play-by-play now did I? Nooooo...Nor do I want to know ANYTHING about my cousin’s various ‘cute parts’-“ Her pert little face scrunched up in disgust. “I just asked how everything was going.”


She listened a little longer before nodding, a bright and happy smile replacing her earlier discomfort. “Well I’m really happy for you guys. I’m glad you’re having a good time.” She returned to her suitcase and resumed her search for her bath supplies. She soon forgot about Sango, who was still talking on the other end, and focused on her shower gel that was suddenly missing.


‘Where is it?’ she wondered to herself as she shuffled her stuff around and dumped it on the bed. ‘I just know it was here somewhe-Aha!’ Kagome grinned to herself, then answered Sango when she called her name. “Say again Sango,” Kagome replied and sank down on all fours beside the bed. She struggled between the phone’s cord and the shower gel, which lay just beyond her reach. “What?” she said suddenly. “What was that? What about Sesshoumaru?” ‘Dang it!’ she growled in annoyance, then gasped in surprise when her cell phone rang. She gave up on the shower gel (momentarily) and fished around her upturned suitcase for her phone.


“Oh Sango, I’ve got to take this,” she interrupted suddenly. “Yes, it’s important. Look, don’t worry about whatever it is that’s got you so stressed. You and Roki just enjoy yourselves and we’ll see you in another week, ok? Ok then. Bye.” She hung up the phone and answered her cell at the same time, her delicate fingers pressing the small button for the speaker phone before dragging it underneath the bed with her.

“Hey, Kagome?”


“Hello Shippou!” she chirped and grunted a quick “Yes!” when her hand finally enclosed around the elusive plastic bottle.


“Are you busy?” his little voice asked while Kagome pulled herself and her things from underneath the bed.


“I’m never too busy to talk to you,” she laughed and continued to gather her bath supplies. “What are you up to anyway? Are you giving your grandmother a hard time?”


“No-“


“Yes!̶ 1; came a sudden shout from Shippou’s end, and Kagome laughed while Shippou and Mrs. Takisai argued. Kagome quieted down at Shippou’s annoyed grunt and attempted to settle his ire.


“I bet I know why you called,” she sang into the phone.


“Nuh-uh!” Shippou called back. “‘Cause I’ve got the best news! I-“


“Made all perfect marks on your six-week interim and the science project you did a couple of months ago won second place,” Kagome answered for him and laughed at his squeak of surprise. “Oh, and it along with two others were put on display in the science department of the local museum.”


“H-hey!” he shouted accusingly. “How did you find out!”


“I have my sources,” Kagome mused with a grin. “I’m so proud of you!”


“Yeah well,” he sulked into the phone. “Second place is nothing to be proud of.”

“Are you kidding?” Kagome objected vehemently. “What was first place then?”


“A vol-“


“Exactly,” Kagome interrupted. “A volcano, a well done volcano but a volcano all the same. Yours was original, Shipp...and I haven’t had a soda since,” she added as an afterthought. She rolled her eyes at Shippou’s laugh. “Anyway,” she griped. “I have a surprise for you.”


“You do?” Shippou asked happily. “What is it? What is it Kagome?”


“What? No way am I telling you!” she retorted teasingly.


“Aww,” Shippou replied. “Why not? I wanna know!”


“Because,” Kagome said and pulled a pair of tickets out of the sleeve of her suitcase. “It wouldn’t be a surprise if I told you now would it?”


“Awwww....” Shippou whined. “That sucks. No fair.”


“Yes fair,” Kagome disagreed. “And don’t pester Mrs. Takisai about it.”


“Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....oooookay,” Shippou moaned in defeat. “When do I get this surprise?”


“Um....” She read over the tickets and smiled. “Next Thursday.”


“I have to wait that long?!”

“Yup. Sorry kiddo.”


“Rats.”


Kagome laughed and shook her head, then returned the tickets to their hiding place. “I’ve got to go now Shippou. I’ll call you back Monday and let you know what’s happening. May I speak with your grandmother please?”


“Sure, hold on. GRANDMAAAAAAA!!!!


Kagome winced , shook the ringing out of her ears and waited for Mrs. Takisai to answer the phone.


“Mercy,” the older woman wheezed when she finally picked up. “That pup and his lungs. Konban wa Kagome dear.”


“Konban wa Mrs. Takisai,” Kagome greeted fondly. “I just wanted to tell you that you shouldn’t worry about what Shippou’ll wear next Thursday. I’ve already arranged for something for him.”


“You have? You’re such a dear. He’s going to be so excited when he sees his surprise.”


“I know,” Kagome replied. “I’m excited myself. I’ve never been and I hear it’s the biggest blowout in town.”


“Well he’s going to love it.”


“I hope so. I’m sorry for bothering you.”


“Nonsense,” Mrs. Takisai replied. “I’m just glad you want to spend so much time with him.”


“Who wouldn’t? Well, I’ll talk to you later.”


“Alright dear. Sayonara.”


“Sayonara.” Kagome hung up the phone and smiled, the gears in her ever-working mind already plotting out how everything was going to happen next Thursday. She sang to herself happily and skipped to the bathroom, her robe and shower supplies in hand.


(III)


Sesshoumaru relaxed in the middle of the pathway, his back to the shrine itself while the sun warmed his fur. The coarse white strands were longer now so it no longer puffed out to leave him looking....well, for lack of a better word, fluffy. His fur laid flat against his back but was still shorter than it was before his fated trip to the groomer.


‘And it doesn’t help that the ends of your fur are tinged pink either,’ Kikyou teased playfully. ‘You kinda have this glow now, like a miko summoning up her ki. You remind me of that game Souta has....what was the name of it again...’


Sesshoumaru growled in annoyance and left her to her own amusements, the centuries of being stuck with her granting him with some immunity toward her idiocies. He sat up and watched Mrs. Higurashi dig, the small trowel in her hands working at the soil caused dirt to fly from all sides. Sesshoumaru stepped back to avoid a dirt clod and huffed, but soon returned to sit at her side. Mrs. Higurashi’s idea of ‘helping’ (as she so elegantly put it) consisted of walking with her when she went about her rounds around the shrine. He handed over various tools when she was gardening and played with Juromaru while Mrs. Higurashi cooked. Not only that, but he also kept an eye on Grandpa Higurashi while he conversed with the shrine guests.


‘What I can’t believe,’ Kikyou suddenly offered while Mrs. Higurashi replaced a couple of the vanilla orchids that had wilted. ‘Is how much this place has changed. Do you remember the way it used to be, Sesshoumaru?’


Indeed things had changed in the past 500 years and this was not the first time Sesshoumaru noticed. He found that he spent many a night under the Sacred Tree of the property, his golden eyes sparking in the sparse moonlight as he absorbed his surroundings. The shrine was the central focus of the lands 500 years ago and it still was, but the old academy that once stood on the grounds was gone. The troops of miko that normally roamed the property were replaced by the Higurashi’s and the overpowering fluxes of reiki had dimmed down to a soft caress against his senses.

Now the grounds were divided with the shrine set up in the center of the compound. The family house was on the farthest edge of the southeastern corner, and a small gift shop/ storehouse were on northwestern side. An old wellhouse was the only other part that remained of the shrine’s past and of his past as well.


‘Sesshoumaru,’ Kikyou called out as he lost himself in his inner musings. ‘There’s been something I’ve wanted to ask you...’


There was one new thing that impressed him, that had him wondering at the marvels of this thing these humans called ‘technology’. They were odd little globes made of a frosted white substance. They floated in the koi ponds, hung from invisible wire in the trees and were nestled among the flowers. By day they were simply pretty to look at, like the little ornaments hanging from a Christmas tree, but at dark they somehow glowed like fireflies. They were a soft, natural sort of light that guided one around the shrine at night and watching them reminded him of days past, when the sprites of the forest were unafraid to make themselves known.


‘Don’t you think that you managing to show up at the wedding was kinda weird,’ Kikyou continued. ‘I mean, you weren’t even supposed to change until the next night.’


He wondered how long the little globes had been at the shrine and whether or not they were around when Kagome was a little girl. He could almost see her as a child, her wide blue eyes curious and amazed as she held up one the orbs.


“Do you see it?” she asked as the little orb began to glow. “Isn’t it amazing Sesshoumaru?”


She changed then, her childish demeanor becoming the woman he now knew, and she gazed up at him with laughter and genuine amazement sparkling in her cobalt orbs.


“Isn’t it amazing...”


‘It might be the spell,’ Kikyou guessed as Sesshoumaru settled his great head onto his paws. ‘It might be changing, for the better or the worst I don’t have a clue. Sesshoumaru, did you hear me?’


He continued to stare off into the distance, still trapped within the deep recesses of his mind, and realized one thing...

He actually missed Kagome.


Imagine that. . . .


(VI)


Kagome arrived at Shippou’s house bright and early Thursday morning with a bright smile and a red plastic bag. “Hello!” she chirped when Mrs. Takisai opened the door.


“Hello yourself dear!” Mrs. Takisai greeted and stepped aside so Kagome could come in. Kagome squeaked in surprise when a flying ball of orange streaked toward her, then laughed when Shippou landed on her shoulder.


“What’s that?” he asked as he nosed at the bag in Kagome’s hand. “Is that my surprise?”


“It’s part of it,” Kagome answered and handed it to him. “Hurry up and put it on.”


“OK!” He rushed upstairs toward his room without another word. Kagome took off her coat and sat down on the couch, a slight blush lighting on her features before Mrs. Takisai commented on her outfit.


“I see you and Shippou share a fascination for the same literature,” Mrs. Takisai said as she sat down and calmly sipped her coffee. Kagome’s blush deepened and she fisted the material of her dark blue pleated skirt in her hands. She was nervous enough because of how short it was and the body hugging white sailor shirt was doing nothing for her confidence level. The pair of dark cat’s ears sitting on top of her head were the only things she felt confidant about, the only things she felt that, in her opinion, were still decent.


“Well,” she giggled nervously. “You should see what some of the other women there will be wearing.”


“Do you think it’s a good idea to take Shippou then?” Mrs. Takisai asked. Kagome nodded. “Oh yeah, of course! Shippou’ll be focusing on other things!”


“I’m ready!”


Kagome and Shippou’s grandmother stood up at his yell and watched as he came down the stairs. He stared up at Kagome in confusion, his jade green eyes narrowed slightly as he tugged at the collar of his white tank top. “Um, Kagome,” he said finally. “What’s this?”


“Well,” Kagome began with a sly grin. “I saw the white tanktop and pants in the store the other day, and it struck me.”


“Um...ok.” Shippou nodded to himself, throughly used to the strange way Kagome’s mind was programmed, and tried again for an explanation. “Well what are we supposed to be dressed as?”


“Oh, that’s simple: You’re Kurama and I’m that cute kitty cat that does the announcements during the Dark Tournament.”


“Um...You do know that chick wasn’t a cat, right?”


Kagome’s posture sagged slightly and she nodded. “Yeah but this was all the costume shop had left.”


“Yeah but,” Shippou said as his grandmother tried to console her. “Why are we dressed like this?”


“For today Shippou, you won’t have to wear your sealing spell cause...We’re going to the Annual Tokyo Anime and Manga Convention!” Kagome waited for Shippou to say something but when she looked down at him she found him staring at her, his big green eyes wide in shock.


“Shippou?” she called out worriedly. “Are you o-“


ARE YOU FRIGGING KIDDING ME!!!! OMYGOD!!!!!!” the hyperactive kitsune suddenly screamed as he launched himself at Kagome’s neck. “I’ve always wanted to go to that! Are you gonna take me seriously?!”


“Now why would I lie to you?” Kagome asked as she spun the child around. “I’ve always wanted to go to and a friend of mine at work got backstage passes. He couldn’t go this year so-oh yeah! See?” She handed him their tickets inside. “I told you.”


“Oh wow!” Shippou breathed excitedly. “I mean, this is cool and all but wow...I never thought I’d ever thought I’d get to actually go...”


“Well we won’t be going anywhere if we don’t hurry up,” Kagome said as she picked up her jacket and made her way toward the door. “Do you think you can turn your tail and hair white before we leave?”


“Yeah but...”


“But what?” Kagome asked and kneeled down to his level. “What is it?”


“Kagome, can I...can I try something on you?”


“Um sure,” Kagome nodded. “What is it?”


“You’ll see. Hold still.” Shippou reached toward the fake cat ears on her head and breathed something, then stepped back and waited. Kagome shivered slightly as something warm slid over her skin, the feeling gentle and playful like the kitsune in front of her.


“Shippou,” she said once the feeling passed. “What’d you do?” He said nothing, but grinned and beaconed her to follow him toward a nearby mirror. She watched as Shippou’s flaming red hair became a pale, frosty white. His transformation was amazing but what happened next left her in round eyed, slacked jawed shock. Her hair began to lighten, then redden until it resembled a dark red wine. Shippou waved a small green leaf in his hand during the transformation and didn’t stop until a long, fluffy burgundy tail flickered from her waist to her ankles.


“Wha...what happened?” Kagome muttered as she touched the mirror’s smooth surface. The woman on the other side reached out as well and Kagome jumped when the woman’s round pupils became narrow, cat-like slits. “Shippou, what did you do?”


“It’s not permanent,” Shippou assured her and grinned when she continued to inspect the changes. “It’s a Glamour spell that I stuck to this leaf. It’ll wear off in about five hours or so. One of us is going to have to keep it close to their skin so...could you do it?”


“Um...sure.” She turned from the mirror reluctantly, amazed orbs still straying toward the mirror, before turning toward Shippou with her hand outstretched. Shippou gasped and stepped back, his hand tightening on the leaf as she gazed down at him.


“Shippou,” she asked and kneeled down in front of him. “What is it? What’s wrong?”


“Uhhhhh, nothing,” he said as he shook himself out of it. “Here ya go Kagome. Don’t forget what I said.”


“Yeah, yeah,” she smiled, then turned around and quickly placed the leaf inside her bra, making sure to leave it between the swell of her breast and the bra’s soft material before turning back around. “Ready to go?” she asked again, her new tail twitching the floor excitedly. Shippou nodded, too excited to say a word, and scampered up her shoulder after she grabbed her coat and purse.


“Goodbye Grandma!” he called out as they stepped through the doorway. She waved back and the pair were off, their thoughts elsewhere as the little blue bug and it’s passengers made their way toward the center of Tokyo.


‘I can’t believe it,” Shippou said to himself and turned to glance at Kagome. She shifted uncomfortably, then reached underneath her and draped her tail over the armrest. Shippou reached over and patted it gently, then smiled when Kagome gave him a grateful, “Thank you”. As he said earlier, the transformation wasn’t permanent but it wasn’t the regular Glamour spell he intended on. The tail was supposed to move and respond to her feelings, but she wasn’t supposed to feel it the way she was now. Her haircolor and eyeshape might have undergone the same transformation as well.


What surprised him earlier wasn’t the strange effect his spell had on her, nor the odd way her aura reacted to the spell, but how much the transformation reminded him of his father. They shared the same hair and her reactions to her tail reminded him of his father’s reactions and he couldn’t help but soothe her the way his father had once soothed him.


‘That’s what Kagome would look like,’ he realized as they parked in a nearby parking lot. ‘If Kagome were youkai, and my mom, that’s exactly what she would look like.’


“Ok kiddo, let’s go!”


Shippou blinked and grinned, his hands already flying toward the door latch. He bounded out of the car and gaped at the flyers, banners and people that surrounded them. Everyone was dressed up as some kind of character from anime and video games. Some even dressed like various movie characters, some Shippou recognized.


“Hey Kagome!” he called out as he grabbed her offered hand and pointed toward the crowd. “Isn’t that the Major from Ghost in the Shell?”


“Yeah, I think it is,” Kagome nodded and giggled at Shippou’s growing excitement. She was excited too, and it showed in the happy way her tail wagged as they neared the entrance. They gave their tickets to a nearby attendant and stopped when he draped a tag around their necks.


“What’s this?” Shippou asked as the attendant stamped their hands. “What’s it for?”


“Oh, those are the V. I. P. passes,” the attendant explained. “One of the top named video companies is having a private showing of a yet to be released game for their console. At the end of the showing, those with these passes get the game for free to test out for the company.”


“Wow,” Kagome said and laughed when Shippou jumped and cheered for joy. “That’s...that’s....wow...”


“Ye ah I know,” the attendant nodded and reached toward another person’s ticket. “We started out with twenty of those little passes and, so far, we’ve only given out five, including yours.”


“That’s so cool!” Shippou cheered once they walked away from the attendant booth. “Did you hear that?! We get to take a game home! Oh wait,” he said suddenly, his excitement calming slightly as he looked up at her. “You’re a girl, and girls don’t like video games. That’s probably why you’re not as excited as I am.” Her tail bristled immediately and he laughed when she pouted and looked away from him.


“I’ll have you know that girls do play video games,” she huffed in insult. “And, depending on the game, I might be excited too.”


“Who cares what it is?” Shippou shrugged. “I’m all for it so long as it’s free.”


“Yeah, but what if you don’t have the right system for it?”


“Yeah right.” Shippou waved his paw as if to wave the thought away. “Games now are normally multi-platform, so there’s nothing to worry about.”


“My, my,” Kagome remarked as they made their way toward the event entrance. “Multi-platform huh? That’s such a big word for someone so small.”


“Hey, I may be short, but I’m at least forty years older than you,” he remarked and laughed at her shocked expression. “That’s right, so respect your elders young lady.”


“No way,”Kagome shook her head and ran after him. “Hey, I’m serious! No way are you that...wow...” They stopped, their argument forgotten as they gazed at the massive room around them. Enormous plasma screen TVs hung suspended from the ceiling and booths were sprawled everywhere. They stood there in an absolute stupor, the breathe completely gone from their bodies as the sights, sounds and smells overwhelmed the-


“Hey, is that pizza?” Shippou asked, his little nose thrust high in the air as he sniffed eagerly. “C’mon Kagome!” he said and grabbed her hand. “Pizza!”


Kagome laughed and followed him, her gaze still up and around her as she allowed the small kitsune to lead her towards his goal. The rest of the morning was spent fluttering from booth to booth like butterflies, each section more grand than the last. There were sneak peaks at the up and coming issues of their favorite manga, new issues from their favorite authors and demos from games that were recently released.


Their fun came to a halt when the left side of Kagome’s shirt flashed, something that brought the rapt attention of a nearby vendor.


“Hey kitty-kitty,” he shouted out and waved to her. One of the furry ears on top of her head swivelled toward him before she did, beautiful ink blue eyes narrowed in concern as she and the small Kurama look-alike came toward him.

“Yes?”


“You-you’re boob’s flashin’.”


“Wha?” Kagome glanced down and gasped, her cheeks tinged pink in embarrassment. “Thank you,” she mumbled absently, then looked down as Shippou tugged on the tip of her tail.


“C’mon Kagome,” he said and led her toward a nearby cargo bay door. She followed willingly and waited for him to disappear underneath the door before she crawled after him. She found herself inside a deserted storeroom, empty boxes and bags scattered all over the floor with a flickering lightbulb overhead.


“OK, hand me the leaf.”


Kagome reached down, her fingers just brushing against the leaf’s edges, when laughter suddenly filled the room. They turned and were shocked to find Shippou’s mother standing behind them, her lips pulled back in a malicious smirk. The tips of her claws glowed a menacing red and her human like teeth grew to fangs before their eyes.


“Well, well,” she said before jerking the bay door closed. “What do we have here? My son and the little temple guardian, playing dress-up. Yes, I know all about you Higurashi-san,” she said and pinned Kagome with her lavender-tinged gaze. “And though I wonder what would attach someone like you to my son, I don’t exactly lose any sleep over the matter.”


“Why are you here?” Shippou asked from behind Kagome’s leg. “You know you’re not supposed to be-“


“Do you think I care about the laws of these humans?” she snarled quietly, her eyes flashing a brief crimson at the thought. “You belong to me Shippou and I’ve been gracious long enough. It’s time to go.”


“Go where?”


She glanced at Kagome, whom she’d previously forgotten about until now. “What concern is it of yours, human?”

“You’re not supposed to be near him, no less be anywhere with him alone,” Kagome commented bravely. “I’m afraid I can’t allow you to come any closer.”


“You can’t ALLOW me?” Shippou’s mother repeated with a quirked brow. “Human, you do not allow me to do anything. I come and go as I please, and I intend to leave with him.” She pointed a claw toward Shippou, who shivered and grasped Kagome’s leg tightly. Kagome inwardly winced when his claws dug into her leg but ignored the pain for the fear she felt rolling off of him. She stepped closer and Kagome whirled around, her tail swirling around her waist, and picked up Shippou before stepping back and away.


“Oh, so that’s how things are,” Shippou’s mother purred. “You intend on protecting him...from me? Human, you don’t know who you’re dealing with. You have little to nothing of the power your ancestors once had.”


“I don’t need it,” Kagome replied as she cuddled Shippou closer. “If you want him, you’re gonna have to go through me.”


“That can be arranged.”


Kagome gasped as her claws lengthened, the snarl on her face feral as a deep growl rolled from her lips. Her claws clicked together like sharp knives and Shippou squeaked, then hid his face in the crook of Kagome’s neck when his mother jerked toward them.


They waited, but the blow never came. A massive shadow fell over them, then a shocked gasp from Shippou’s mother snapped them back to the present and opened their eyes. Three men stood in front of them, their backs to the pair as an answering growl rippled through the air. One of them turned around, his dark eyes concerned and alarmed before relief flooded over them.


“Shippou-sama, are you alright?” the young gentleman inquired as Shippou released his death hold on Kagome’s neck. Shippou nodded, a watery smile lighting on his features as the man turned from him to Kagome.


“And you young miss, thank you so much,” he replied with a bow. “We will handle things from he-“


“What are you doing here Mesume?” one of the other men suddenly snarled. “You have been ordered to stay away.”

“Human laws shouldn’t concern us, Great Taiyoukai,” Shippou’s mom replied. “I should be allowed to-“


“It is not only human law that prevents this,” the third man, this one with a deeper voice than the first two, interrupted calmly. “It is our law as well and you would do so to listen and obey.”


“He is my son,” Mesume shouted heatedly. “He belongs to me, in my care and-“


“We all know of what happened the last time he was in your care,” the second man replied, the anger from his aura pouring from him and over her in crushing waves. “We will not ask again, female. Leave or regret not doing so in the afterlife.”


Mesume shivered instinctively, the combined aura of the three males coming together to nearly suffocate her. She turned, lifted the cargo bay door and disappeared, leaving Shippou and Kagome to sink to the floor in a puddle of relief. The three turned toward the pair, their former anger dissolving quickly as they gazed down at them.


“He is alright,” the first male assured the others. “I’ve asked already. Oh, but the young miss has a few puncture wounds on her left leg.”


“Please, I’m alright,” Kagome replied, then inhaled sharply as a cool rush swept over her. The Glamour spell evaporated, leaving a small human woman with a frightened redheaded kitsune sitting in her lap. She stood with difficulty, her arms still enfolded around Shippou’s shivering form. She gratefully accepted the first male’s offer of help, then pinned them all with her stare and asked, “Who are all of you?”


The first male sighed, then glanced at the others and shrugged. Noticeable changes began with the third male, who’s short hair turned a vivid lime green. His hands became claws and a dark brown tail wrapped around his thigh. The second male’s hair stayed the same dark brown but his eyes lightened to a deep ruby red with slanted pupils. The first male’s nails lengthened to claws and his pupils slanted, but any further physical changes ceased. They looked at her expectantly, waiting for her reaction to the three powerful youkai standing in front of her.


Kagome watched them for a moment, then shifted her weight to her right leg and placed her hand on her hip. “Impressive, but that still doesn’t tell me who you are.”


They balked in surprise, astounded at her casual attitude. “These humans grow more brazen with each passing year,” the second male griped testily. Kagome started to ask who they were again when Shippou huffed in annoyance.

“Eh, I’ll tell you Kagome,” Shippou offered as he scurried from her shoulder to her arms. “That dude over there with the green hair is Ginta, and he’s the Wolf of the North. That angry dude with the red eyes over there is Shujin and he’s the Wind of the South. And this,” he said as he gestured toward the first male. “Is-“


“I’m Jininji, and I’m Shippou-sama’s retainer.”


“His what?” Kagome asked and glanced down at the suddenly quiet kit in her arms. Shippou blushed and looked away while Jininji explained.


“Shippou-sama’s father was Ryu-sama of the Eastern Fire, and-“


“And Shippou’s the next in line, right?” Kagome guessed and shot Shippou an expectant glare when Jininji nodded. He laughed nervously, his little paws underneath her chin as he sent her his cutest, most helpless and adorable pout. Kagome sighed, smiled and tapped his nose, then turned back to those watching her and frowned. “And you all promised to look after him, right?”


“Yes young miss bu-“


“So I can just imagine how quickly you reacted to the abuse Shippou had to go through under his mother’s care.”


That statement, and the meaning behind it, hung in the air between them like fog on a cold winter’s day. Jininji winced as if pained while Ginta and Shujin exchanged wary glances. Kagome watched and waited expectantly and wasn’t surprised when Jininji was the first to speak up.


“Young miss-“


“Kagome.”


“Kagom e, you have our apologies. We were under the belief that Shippou was in the best of hands. It wasn’t until her prosecution in the human courts that we learned the truth. We are truly grateful for Mrs. Takisai’s help,” Ginta explained. He glanced toward the others for help and quickly met Shujin’s upturned nose. Jininji spoke up though, with a thought that was completely separate from the topic at hand.


“My dear, you’re a Higurashi aren’t you?”


“Um, what?” was Kagome’s intelligent answer.


“You’re a Higurashi, yes? From the Sunset Shrine in the middle of the city?”


“Um, yes, I am. Why?”


“Then the pup is even better protected,” Shujin suddenly offered. “There is no better guardian than one from the holy shrine.”


“The what? What are you guys talking about?” Kagome demanded. “I’m not Shippou’s guardian-“


“But you protected him,” Jininji insisted. “And the young pup trusts you. Surely you see the significance of that.”


“Look, you guys are nuts. Thank you for coming, and for protecting Shippou, but we’ve gotta go-“


“Ignore the foolish ones,” Shujin suddenly said. “They are merely excited. It is rare that any youkai meets one who comes from a place so highly respected among our kind.”


“Oh. Ok then. Well...I’m sorry too,” Kagome apologized. “I shouldn’t have snapped at you all so easily. You came to help us and I give you a hard time. I’m really sorry.” She bowed respectfully, her hand fastened to Shippou’s hip to keep him steady. He used that distraction to reactivate their Glamour spells and grinned when the other tai nodded in approval.


“You are honing your skills,” Shujin noted appreciatively. “Soon you will be as capable as your late father.”

“Thank you,” Shippou sniffed, the praise from so normally a stoic youkai taken to heart as Kagome walked toward the exit. He waved to the other tai before they disappeared, leaving the others to slowly file out behind them.


“Wait just a moment,” Jininji said once they stepped among the others in the pavilion. “Did you all not notice something about the young lord’s companion?”


“Like her audacity?” Shujin offered grumpily. “She is quite brave for a little human.”


“Other than that,” Jininji shook his head. “There was something about her scent....it was quite odd...as if I know it from somewhere...”


“We already expected that,” Ginta replied and led the way toward the exit. “We all are aware of the vanilla orchids that grow on the shrine grounds and how their scent infuses itself into those that are born on the land.”


“No, it’s not that. It’s-“


“Bah!” Shujin interrupted. “You’re just looking for an excuse to get closer to the female. Do not bother us with your sudden infatuation.”


“No, that’s not it!” Jininji disagreed quickly. “She is quite lovely, but-wait!” he shouted and ran to catch up with the others. “I’m serious! She smells like someone we know!”


(V)


Midnight at the Sunset Shrine was quiet despite the constant activity from the busy street below. The first fireflies of the season began to make themselves known along the grounds. The curious little creatures hovered over everything, creating pathways of their own across the darkened sky. The stars and the fireflies were alone in their trek across the heavens on this night, the place where the moon normally held guardianship now vacant to the naked eye.


Sesshoumaru sighed, his breath fogging up the window in front of his paws, and jumped down from his perch on the ledge. The Higurashi household was mostly quiet and dark with each respected member going to their separate bedrooms. He walked down the hallway from Kagome’s room, past where Grandpa Higurashi slept, towards a clicking sound at the end of the long hallway.


He peered inside the open door, then stretched out along the threshold and watched as Mrs. Higurashi picked up a slip of paper and sighed.


“I just don’t understand it,” she mumbled under her breath. “No matter what we do, these bills just keep rising. How are we supposed to upgrade the shrine when we can barely keep things working as they are?” She rubbed the palm of her hand against her forehead in frustration, then waved open another slip of paper and continued typing.


“It’s a good thing the Spring Festival is almost here,” she said to herself. “Maybe the extra revenue will help out...if only a little.”


‘You don’t think the shrine will go bankrupt, do you?’ Kikyou asked while Sesshoumaru closed his eyes. ‘It would really suck if it did.’


‘I do not believe it will come to such,’ Sesshoumaru replied with a scratch behind his ear. ‘There are many who value the existence of this historical relic and-‘ He stopped and turned toward the hallway, his ears pert as an unexpected sound came from somewhere in the house. He waited for it to repeat itself and it did, this time loud enough to catch Mrs. Higurashi’s attention.


She turned toward the door and jerked in surprise to find Sesshoumaru already standing in the doorway, his tail bristled and his ears thrust forward as the sound of breaking glass filtered up the stairs. “Ji-chan...”


Chance’s answering growl was her answer and a cold sweat suddenly washed over Mrs. Higurashi’s skin. She approached the startled inu slowly, her brown-blue eyes wide in alarm as more things began to break from downstairs. Sesshoumaru looked up when shaking hands touched his head and nosed Mrs. Higurashi’s palm. She was trembling, her eyes wet with unshed tears and the scent of her terror caved in on them. “I should go down there,” he heard her whisper. She stepped forward and he growled sharply.


“What is it?” she asked and turned toward him. “You want to go too?”


Sesshoumaru growled again, then grasped her hand between his teeth and pulled her toward the phone on the nearby nightstand. He released her and quit the room, leaving her to stand in the middle of it with the phone in her hand as he made his way downstairs.


He stopped at the base of the stairs and sniffed, the natural scents of the family tainted by the stank of sweat and hurry coming from the outsider that fumbled and rummaged through the house and the family’s possessions. He thrust his head into the kitchen and watched as the thief, dressed all in black, rummaged through the family’s kitchen drawers.


“Damn it,” the thief growled as he slammed another drawer shut. “Where’s the antiques? Where’s the money? Where’s anything in this crummy place?!” He stormed out of the kitchen, unaware of his silent observer as he continued searching the living room and den. Sesshoumaru padded along silently, an evil smirk gracing his visage at the thought of the blood he was ready to spill. The thief turned suddenly, an idea having come to his mind, and froze. A strangled version of a scream escaped from deep in his throat.


Sesshoumaru laughed out loud, it sounding more like a series of short barks as he glared at the intruder. “N-N-nice doggy,” the thief stuttered as he backed away. “N-now d-don’t bite me, o-o-ok?” He jumped at Sesshoumaru’s bark and watched as glittering golden eyes that shone in the dark became a deep jade rimmed in crimson. Sesshoumaru barked again and the thief bolted, shooting past Mrs. Higurashi as he sprinted toward the front door. Mrs. Higurashi blinked in surprise, the 9-1-1 operator on hold, as the man’s cries of, “It’s haunted! The Sunset Shrine has a youkai on the grounds!”


“What on earth...” she wondered aloud and leaned around the corner to stare at the open door. “Chance,” she began as she turned toward the silent canine. “What did you do?”


Sesshoumaru remained quiet, a mischievous smirk growing on his features as he closed his eyes and licked his paws as if he had not a care in the world.


(VI)


‘I can’t wait to tell Mom and Chance about yesterday!’ Kagome said to herself as she drove up the dirt pathway toward the shrine. ‘They’re gonna be so impressed! Imagine, real live taiyoukai, and they know about the shrine! Ji-chanc’s gonna fl-‘ She stopped, surprise etched on her features like fine marble as a police car sat in the middle of the pathway.


“Name and ID please,” the officer asked and allowed Kagome to pass soon afterward. She gaped at the shrine grounds and the number of police cars parked in the parking lot. Police officers were scattered all over the grounds, each either barking orders or looking through the flowers and other plant life of the shrine.


“Mom!” Kagome called out and turned toward an answering bark. She hurried toward the house, quickly sidestepped an officer hurrying through the door, and waded through the crowd toward the kitchen. “Mom,” Kagome hissed anxiously and sighed in relief when Mrs. Higurashi turned from the stove.


“Yes dear,” she said and turned back around. “What is it?”


“What do you mean ‘What is it’?” Kagome nearly shrieked. Sesshoumaru watched from nearby, his eyes moving from Mrs. Higurashi to his bowl and back again. “What the heck is going on around here? What are the police doing here?”


“Oh, we had a little break-in dear, that’s all,” Mrs. Higurashi commented and turned whatever it was in the pan. “Don’t worry though. The police will find whomever’s responsible.”


“What’s a little break-in?!” Kagome countered and threw her hands in the air at her non-response. “And what are you doing?” she finally gave up and sighed.


“Oh, I’m fixing Chance’s breakfast,” Mrs. Higurashi replied. Kagome’s brow furrowed in confusion and she leaned over the pan, her confusion giving way to surprise before her mother turned the contents of the pan onto a paper towel-covered plate.


“Bacon, Mom,” Kagome said and glanced over when Chance’s tail began to thump. “Are you serious? You can’t give him bacon!”


“Why not?” Kagome’s mother asked before she turned off the stove. “Chance protected the shrine, protected me and I think some bacon won’t hurt him.


“Besides,” Mrs. Higurashi said as she scraped the pieces of bacon into Chance’s bowl.


“Every good dog deserves a little bacon.”


(End Chapter)


SF: Well people, what can I say. This story just gets weirder and weirder...


Inu-Chan: See, and you’re surprised.


SF: Yeah, I am kinda. I don’t exactly know what went wrong. It was such a normal story.


Sesshou: As if anything concerning you is ‘normal’. (SF’s tail disappears and her hair goes back to black) My point exactly.


SF: Hey, I was born this way! I can’t help it!


Sesshou: Of course...


SF: Anyway, isn’t Shippou’s emissary great! And just in time too! Cool....though I do wonder where he was when he was with his mother. Anyway, the preview for the next chapter is below:


Sango and Miroku come back home just in time as a medical illness strikes the family. Shujin and Ginta come to their own conclusions about the little social worker just as Mrs. Takisai and her doctor discuss her latest test results. When the going gets tough, will Sesshoumaru keep going or stop in time to save a life?


Next time on Second Chance- Chapter Twenty-Four: Injections