InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secret Guardian ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 1

~*~*~

"Forget it! I told you, Inuyasha! I have a date and I’m going to go out. So quit telling me I can’t go! You have no right to tell me that!" Kagome yelled this over her shoulder as she continued to throw all of her things into her oversized backpack.

Hojo had asked her out again, and this time she was determined not to be distracted or bail out of it. Hojo deserved better than that. He was a really nice guy, even if he was a bit on the dim side. But, she reminded herself, only when it comes to my grandpa and his wild stories about me being sick. And that goes for all of my friends, too. It’s not his fault; he just doesn’t know the truth, so of course he believes that I’m sick.

As she threw the last of her things into her bag, Kagome stood up. "I’ll be back in three days, so just stay put, Inuyasha." With that she walked over to the well. She looked over her shoulder at Inuyasha, who was currently giving her a nasty, You-Are-So-Going-To-Pay-For-That-When-You-Get-Back look. She had given him a "sit" only minutes before because he had been in a tirade and had started to pull things out of her bag. "Now just behave, Inuyasha. I’ll be back soon."

~*~*~

Kagome climbed out of the well and ran back up to the house. She was already late thanks to Inuyasha. Hojo would be there any minute and she still hadn’t changed out of her uniform. Racing upstairs, she quickly jumped in the shower and washed up, got out, brushed her teeth, dried her hair, changed her clothes, and got back downstairs in five minutes. Just as she hit the bottom step, the doorbell rang. Good timing, she thought with a smile.

She pulled open the door, and there was Hojo. He had a beautiful blue rose in his hand. He smiled. "You look beautiful, Kagome." Hojo reached out and handed her the rose.

"Thank you. Come in, while I find a vase for this." Kagome bent her head toward the rose and smelled deeply. The rose carried with it the scent of a warm summer evening.

Soon after, they both headed out of her house and down to the street. They went to the movies and watched some cheesy movie they laughed at and made stupid remarks about throughout the entire movie. After the movie, they went for a walk in the park.

"I had a really great time tonight, Hojo." Kagome smiled at him, wondering why she always let Inuyasha get in the way of her enjoying you youth. ‘Don’t think about him.’ Kagome sighed. It was inevitable that she would think of Inuyasha at least once.

"I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. I know that you’re sick all the time, so I’m just happy that you could make it." Hojo smiled at her. He moved under a large oak tree and sat down at it’s base. He beckoned her down to sit next to him. "I think tonight was the first night that you weren’t distracted. I was beginning to think you didn’t like me."

Kagome sat down next to him. "It’s not you, Hojo. It’s just that I have a lot of things on my mind, and it’s hard to stay focused, sometimes." Kagome frowned. She could swear she sensed a jewel shard. All night that feeling had persisted, but it faded almost too fast for her to be sure she felt it. Again the feeling passed.

"It’s a really beautiful night tonight." Hojo smiled and put his arm around her shoulder. "Really romantic."

Kagome smiled. Hojo was such a nice guy. Most of the guys at school treated her like a walking virus now that she was out of school so much, but not Hojo. He seemed to go out of his way to make sure she knew he thought she was special. Kagome leaned her head against his shoulder. "Yeah. Really beautiful night."

All of a sudden, Kagome sat bolt straight. She hadn’t imagined the feeling of a jewel shard. She could feel it. But now there were more. Many more. And a mass of them were moving toward them. She jumped up and looked wildly around. The only time she had felt this many jewel shards was when Naraku was nearby. But that was impossible. He couldn’t be here.

"Kagome, what’s wrong?"

"I think we need to leave the park." But as soon as the last word was out of her mouth, the tree behind them seemed to explode. Hojo grabbed Kagome and covered her body with his, protecting her from flying bits of tree.

"What the hell-" but Hojo didn’t finish his question. He was looking over the top of Kagome’s head and was staring at something. Kagome turned and gasped.

"Naraku!" She tried to back away, but Hojo wasn’t moving.

Naraku smiled. "This is a very interesting place you come from, girl. Now hand over the jewel shard. And don’t feign ignorance. I know that you have at least one shard with you, and that Inuyasha isn’t expecting you for at least three days."

Hojo growled under his breath. He then flung what appeared to be smoke bombs at Naraku, grabbed Kagome’s hand and proceeded to run like hell.

"What was that you threw-"

"Later!" Hojo ran faster, dragging Kagome behind. She looked at the direction they were headed and realized he was heading for her house. When they reached the shrine he started yelling for her mother, brother and grandfather.

"You have to leave the shrine for at least three days. A demon came through the well and attacked us tonight. He’ll be heading this way soon, and I need to take Kagome through the well, and get her someplace safe. I’ll be putting spells on the well on the other side so he won’t be coming through. Not until Inuyasha breaks it on the other side, which means Naraku will be hanging around your house until then. So you gotta go now." Hojo said all of this in a rush while pulling Kagome toward the well shrine.

"How do you-"

"No time to explain, we’ve gotta go, now!" With that, he pulled Kagome against his chest, wrapped his arms around her waist and looked down the well. Without hesitation, he leapt down into the well, taking Kagome with him.

~*~*~

Ha! Bet you didn't expect that! A smart Hojo! ^_^ I have NEVER read a story where that boy had brains. LoL Just wait, he's a lot smarter than you can imagine. HINT: All demons bow to the human boy! LOL I'm evil, I know it. ^_^ Got Questions? Encourage me to write more by leaving me a review. Please R/R. ~_~