InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secret Guardian ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 2

~*~*~

Hojo quickly climbed out of the well, pulling Kagome with him. Once they were both out of the well, Hojo looked up at the dark sky. He closed his eyes and muttered something. His hand was clasped shut as if holding something, then he opened his fist and a small white light flew up into the sky, disappearing from sight. Hojo turned back to the well and pulled some paper spells out of his pocket and quickly placed them around the well, making it impossible for anyone to cross from the other side as well as from this side, unless the spells were removed. His task complete, Hojo turned and looked at Kagome. The wind had suddenly picked up and was blowing Kagome’s hair around.

“We should go, before it starts to rain.”

Kagome kept her distance from Hojo. The shock from the evening’s events had worn off, and now she was unnerved by the whole situation. She pointed to the left. “The village is that way.”

Hojo looked at her a moment. “We’re not going to the village.” He said cautiously.

“I beg your pardon?”

“We can’t go there. If we do, we’d be putting Inuyasha and the other’s lives in danger as well as yours. We have to go someplace else.”

“Hojo I don’t know how you know all of this! Why would going to the village put us in danger? Inuyasha’s half demon with the strength to prove it, Sango’s a demon slayer, Miroku’s a monk with some very handy tricks, and I have my purity arrows! We will be just fine!”

“Kagome, I know that, but you have to trust me. If you go down to the village, you’ll all die, and trust me, that would be a VERY bad thing.”

Kagome started pacing. “How do you know all of this? I never told you. No one would’ve believed me if I had said anything, so how is it you know about me and everything that’s going on here?”

“I... I can’t tell you. At least not yet. I will though, I promise, but please, Kagome, trust me now. We cannot go to the village.”

Kagome stopped pacing and looked at Hojo. He had saved her from Naraku, had warned her family to leave for their own safety, and brought her back to the past. He was trying to protect her, that was obvious, and he seemed to know more about what was going on than she did. It stood to reason that he wouldn’t try to hurt her now. She sighed. “All right. Where do we go?”

Hojo smiled in relief. “I’m not sure, but for now, we get as far away from here as possible.” A light rain had started to fall. Hojo took off his jacket and put it on Kagome’s shoulders. “You’re gonna need this.” He took her hand and started to walk away from the well.

Kagome sighed and followed him. “Hojo, we don’t have any money, or supplies, and I don’t know about you, but I can’t hunt that well. What are we going to do for shelter, not to metion food, and warmth.”

“It’s alright. We’ll be fine.”

“But, Hojo-”

“I promise you Kagome, we’re going to be fine.” He turned his head and gave her a reassuring smile. They walked in silence for a while, before it suddenly struck Kagome that it was raining.

“Hojo, how did you know it would rain?”

“Because I made it rain.”

“You did? How’d you do that? More importantly, why?”

“Well, I did it with a spell, and I did it so the rain would mask our scents as well as wash them away. Inuyasha can’t know your back, or know that I’m here.”

“Oh.” Kagome sighed. It was pointless to ask him anything else, because she had a feeling that he would just say that he couldn’t tell her yet.

~~*~~*~~

Inuyasha scowled up at the sky through the window. “The night was clear less than ten minutes ago. How did it get so stormy so fast?”

Miroku was watching the sky as well. “This isn’t natural. I can feel the magic in the air.”

“Why would someone want to conjure up a rain storm?”

“Probably to mask themselves. Tell me, do you smell anything out there?”

Inuyasha sniffed the air. “No.” He looked Miroku. “Are you telling me someone’s out there and they don’t want us to find them?”

“That is probably the case.”

“Well, this rain won’t do them any good. I’m going to go out there and find them.” With that Inuyasha stood up and walked out the door. Not five seconds later a bright, white streak of lightning flashed in front of the hut followed immediately by a loud clap of thunder. The wind howled around the hut, making it groan against the wind, and the rain fell heavily against the sides of the hut. Within seconds, Inuyasha was back inside, soaking wet and looking a little shell shocked.

“Are you all right, Inuyasha?”

“No The lightning almost hit me! It was like it was taking aim!” He shook out his hair, splattering everything and everyone with droplets of water. He looked back out the window, ignoring the others as they gave him angry looks for getting them wet.

“What is going on that someone doesn’t want us to know about?”

~~*~~*~~

“Can you tone the rain down a bit?” Kagome shouted over the wind. She was covering her face and leaning into the wind just so she could walk without being blown over.

“I wish I could! But one of your friends is trying to come out into the storm! It’ll keep getting worse until they give up and stay inside!” Hojo shouted this back to her. He looked around for a moment, shielding his face, before he spotted a cave. “We’ll stay there tonight!”

Hojo took her arm and helped to the cave. When they both managed to get inside, they sighed in relief.

Kagome wrapped her arms around herself and shivered. She was soaking wet and very cold. Hojo watched her for a moment before he started to work on building a fire. It took a while because they only had the wood that was inside the cave. Hojo struck a match and lit some tinder. A few minutes later, there was a roaring fire in the middle of the cave.

Kagome smiled her thanks and sat down in front of the fire, holding her hands out for warmth. Hojo sat down next to her.

“Sorry, about this. This isn’t how I wanted our date to end.” He looked sideways at her.

“It’s not your fault. Naraku was obviously watching me and figured out how the well worked. If this is anyone’s fault it’s mine.” Kagome turned her head and looked at Hojo. “By the way, thank you. For saving my life.”

Hojo smiled at her. “Your welcome.” He grinned for a moment. “Did you enjoy yourself tonight, Kagome? I mean other than the whole demon attacking and the running for our lives thing.”

Kagome laughed softly. “I had a really nice time tonight.” She smiled at him. “So, how would this date have ended if Naraku hadn’t shown up?”

Hojo looked at her for a moment, then smiled. “Like this.” He moved his hands up and cupped her cheeks. He leaned forward, gently kissing her. Kagome gasped in surprise.

Hojo pulled back with a smile. “That’s how I wanted this date to end.”

Kagome looked wide eyed at him for a moment before a small smile crossed her lips. She cleared her throat. “I think I’m going to try to sleep. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a long walking day.”

Hojo grinned. “Your right. Inuyasha won’t make it to the well for at least two days, so we’re going to get as far away as we can in that time, and hopefully, by then, I’ll have you someplace safe.”

Kagome smiled a shy smile at him. “Good night.”

~~*~~*~~

Hojo walked farther down into the cave. Kagome was sound asleep, so it was relatively safe to use the Summons. He stood in the dark for a moment. He closed his eyes, and concentrated. A small glowing orb began floating in front of him. He opened his eyes and caught the small light with his hand. When he reopened his hand, the light had divided into two.

Hojo looked into the glowing orbs. Hojo thought for a moment on who would be the best people to call to protect Kagome. They had to be strong and the last people Inuyasha would think of. Finally, two names came to mind and he smiled. He looked back into the lights and repeated the names three times before he released them.

The little bouncing lights danced before him for a moment before they flew out into the dark and stormy night. He knew that the little orbs would find these demons, and that the demons would know what the lights meant. They would come as soon as they saw the Summons.

Hojo sighed. He just hoped Kagome wouldn’t be too upset with his choice of guardians for her.

~*~*~

I hope this part lives up to your expectations, but alas, I think it's highly disappointing. I used my group as as a test audience, and they seemed to like it, so I decided to post it here. ^_^;; I think this part should be used to light someone's fire, personally. But this was my best attempt out of four that were deleted, so here it is.

Please be Kind. R/R ~_~