InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secret Guardian ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 5

~*~*~

Kagome was feeling extremely comfortable when she woke up. She stretched and opened her eyes and wished she hadn’t. She had no idea where she was and no idea how she got there.

She was in a cave, laying on a bed of straw covered with a wool blanket. There was a roaring fire a few feet away. The cave was large with a high ceiling and deep walls, but it only had one exit. And from what she could see, it was dark outside and still rainy.

What on earth had happened that had put her here? The last thing she remembered was that beautiful ravine– Kagome’s eyes widened as she remembered the day’s events and with the returning of her memory, her temper flared.

How dare Hojo treat her like she couldn’t take care of herself! And how dare he pass her to the two people Inuyasha would take the most offence to her being with!

Kagome jumped up and stormed to the entrance of the cave and straight out into the storm. It was so dark she couldn’t see where she was going and after only about ten steps, strong arms grabbed her and hauled her back into the cave.

Kouga practically dropped her on the ground. “Woman, what do you think you were doing?! You could have fallen to your death!” he yelled. “You happen to be on the side of a mountain!” Kouga glared down at Kagome. “Just stay put, will you? Make my job easier.” With that he turned around and walked to the entrance of the cave and sat down, staring out into the storm.

Kagome just stared at him. Kouga had never treated her like this before. He was obviously angry at her, but for what? Then she remembered what he had seen at the ravine. She blushed.

“Kouga-“

“Save it. I don’t want to talk to you.” Kouga said this without turning.

“But-“

“I said save it!”

“What do you have to be upset about?! I’m the one being held hostage!” Kagome finally let her temper loose. “Don’t give me that righteous attitude! I’ve done nothing wrong, and I’m not going to apologize for bruising your oversized ego!” She turned and stormed back to the small make shift bed and sat down in a huff, glaring at the back of Kouga’s head.

Kouga jumped up and stared at Kagome incredulously. At first he was at a loss for words. Then too many things rushed into his mind to scream at her, that all he could do for a moment was sputter. “What do you mean you have nothing to apologize for?! You were KISSING him! How am I supposed to feel about that?!”

“It’s none of your business who I kiss Kouga.” She glowered at him. “And where is Hojo, anyway?”
Kouga stared at her, not believing what he was hearing. Without responding, he whirled around ready to go out into the storm, but was stopped by the arrival of Sesshoumaru.

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow. “Must you fight with her?” Kouga growled and stormed out of the cave, leaving Kagome alone with Inuyasha’s brother.

Kagome glowered at the demon. She never liked Sesshoumaru. He was always so distant and cold.

Sesshoumaru just ignored her presence all together. It was like she wasn’t even in the cave. Which slightly miffed Kagome. Well, if he thought he could just ignore her, he was in for a surprise.

“Sesshoumaru? What am I doing here?”

No response.

“Why don’t you take me back to Inuyasha?”

No response.

“Why don’t you go drown yourself out in the storm?”

Sesshoumaru turned to look at her. “I was told not to discuss the circumstances of why you are here.”

“Why not?” Kagome glared at him. “It’s not like I want to be here and I have a right to know!”

“Perhaps, but that boy told us not to discuss this with you and I will not.” He turned away.

Kagome just watched him for a moment. Then she flopped back against the straw and stared at the ceiling. This wasn’t going to be pleasant. And, Kagome swore to herself, she was going to pull an Inuyasha on Hojo the next time she saw him. Kill first then ask questions.

****

Hojo was just about at the well. He knew it would be guarded now, but that wouldn’t be a problem. He’d just cast a quick and easy spell to make the guards nod off and he’d slip through the well with no one the wiser.

He reached the tree line and peered at the well, quite surprised that he saw no one there. He had fully expected there to be at least one person watching the well. There was no way that Inuyasha and the others had missed Naraku coming through. So where were the guards?

Hojo thought a minute. If a guard wasn’t posted at the well, it meant that they were in the trees watching from a distance. He eyed the tree line, hoping to see someone, anyone. But he had the sinking suspicion that there was no one assigned to watch the well. Instead, the people he was really hoping to avoid were probably watching. And if that was the case, he highly doubted he’d be lucky enough to get through the well undetected.

He heard a throat clear behind him and he whipped around. Hojo saw Inuyasha standing on a high tree branch looking extremely scary. “Planning on going somewhere?” Inuyasha said in a menacing voice.

Before Hojo could do anything, Inuyasha pounced. He flew at Hojo with immense speed and force, hitting Hojo squarely in the chest and knocking him to the ground. Hojo lost his breath and saw stars dancing in front of his eyes before Inuyasha came back into focus. Inuyasha was breathing hard, his lips curled back over his teeth. One hand was holding him in place while the other was raised, claws outstretched ready to strike the fatal blow.

Hojo stared up at Inuyasha, afraid he might set the half demon off by moving. Now what?

“Don’t kill him yet, Inuyasha. We still need him to tell us where Kagome is.” A man’s voice said. Hojo turned his head slightly to see a tall and slender man in robes walk into view, a beautiful young woman following after him. Both looked ready to do battle if necessary.

‘No way.’ thought Hojo. ‘This can’t be Miroku and Sango...’ He looked back at Inuyasha. The half demon lowered his hand slightly, but didn’t move otherwise.

Inuyasha leaned back and raised Hojo eye level and hissed, “Where the hell is Kagome?”

Hojo hadn’t thought of any excuses about where Kagome was, because he had really thought that Inuyasha and the others would have already been out looking for Kagome, not waiting at the well for him. He didn’t have a clue as to what to tell them.

“For heaven’s sake, Inuyasha, let him up. He can hardly breathe in that position, let alone talk.” The woman said, giving Inuyasha a stern look. Inuyasha growled but listened to her and let Hojo go, dropping him back on the ground.

Hojo pushed himself into a sitting position. “Thanks.” he said to the woman. She glared at him.

“Don’t think that because I asked him to let you go means I’m not all for him ripping you apart. Answer our question. Where’s Kagome?”

Hojo sighed and stood up. This was not going to be easy. “Are you really Sango?”

The woman blinked. “Kagome told you about me?”

“No. So you are?”

Sango narrowed her eyes. “Yes. So if she didn’t tell you about us, who did?”

“It’s a long and complicated story.” He looked at the man in the robes. “You’re Miroku? Honestly?”

“Yes.” Miroku looked at him, contemplating.

“You two are definitely not what I expected.” Hojo gave a slight smile. “And to answer your question, Kagome’s fine, and in a safe place.”
“That didn’t answer the question.” Inuyasha snapped. “Where is she?”

“I’m sorry, but I can’t answer that right now. Just trust me, she’s safe.”

“You want us to trust you? You kidnaped her and hid her away from us! You tell us where she is right now, or so help me, I’ll be ripping you apart!” Inuyasha yelled this and took a menacing step forward.

Hojo raised his hands, trying to forestall the violence. “I didn’t kidnap her. We were attacked.”

“Yes. By Naraku. And you sealed the well, so why don’t you just cut to the chase and tell us where Kagome is.” Miroku said this calmly. This was his subtle way of telling Hojo they weren’t buying his innocent act.

Hojo closed his eyes. This was definitely not going in his favor. “Look, I understand that you’re worried about her. But she’s safe. I can’t go into detail right now, though. I have to get back home. I swear to you, I’ll come back and help you find her, but right now I don’t have the time.”

“You expect us to believe that?” Sango said, narrowing her eyes.

“You don’t have a choice. I have to go.” Hojo looked at each of the party members.

“You’re not leaving until we have Kagome back.” Inuyasha glared at Hojo.

Hojo sighed. “Fine.” Hojo closed his eyes, murmured a few words and in a slow, flaring light, Kagome appeared. She blinked a few times, looking extremely confused.

“Inuyasha?”

“Kagome! Are you alright?” Inuyasha rushed over to her and pulled her into a tight hug. Miroku and Sango also walked over to greet their friend.

Hojo slowly crept backwards toward the well. The illusion would hold for a few minutes, then the Kagome he had conjured up would fade away. This wasn’t the best of plans by any means, seeing as they would look at it as some kind of treachery and betrayal. They would be hard pressed to trust him after this, but he had to leave. There was too much at stake for him to stand around trying to convince them he was on their side and Kagome was safe.

He reached the well, grateful that the others were still too busy talking to the illusion to notice his departure. He sat on the side of the well and allowed himself to fall backwards down the well. The tingling as he passed through the barrier gave him a sigh of relief. He was home.

~*~*~