InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets of the Past ❯ Learning Nobility ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 10: Learning Nobility

Sesshomaru relaxed into a pleasant dream among the many nightmares. He was on the jouney back to his father's palace with Murasaki, Sakura and Mikageishi. Mikageishi was quiet. His thoughts were still clouded with the sight of his mates and pups.
Sesshomaru refused to look at his cousin and sulk. His eyes wandered to the shape of Murasaki on her horse. She was a vision. He hoped that as soon as they got to Inutaitio's main palace, his father would allow them to mate.
His hope was not fulfilled. Inutaitio prepared to send Murasaki away to be trained in controlling her Miko powers. Sesshomaru was heartbroken, but was contented to know she was probably safer in the monastery.
"Father, how long will my bride be away?"
"Until she learns her lessons well, and you start acting like a male befitting your station." Inutaitio replied coldly, "Mikageishi told me how shamefully you acted while at my nephew's palace. Sneaking around, showing emotion when taking punishment. Inuteitoku should have beaten you harder."
"Father, if Inuteitoku did beat me any harder, he would have killed me. The scars I have still have yet to heal." Sesshomaru said. exasperated at his father's reprimand.
"I see that you have yet to learn the lesson. You must show no emotion. You must be stoic of face and manner, no matter what your mind and body feel. Any twinge can be fatal. Do not forget we are still at war."
"Yes, father."
"Starting tomorrow, you will note every time you have shown shameless emotion in public, especially among servants and lessers. Also, note whenever you remain stoic, even among your equals and peers. You will receive lashes whenever you loose your composure, but the lashes will lessen with every show of composure. Do not try to cheat. I will know it. That will earn you more lashes. Am I clear?"
"Yes father."
"Very well, you may go."
After meeting with his father, he disobeyed one more time. He knew he would be caned severely, but he had to see her just one more time before she was sent to the monastery.
"Murasaki," he whispered as he slowly snuck into the dimly lit room.
Murasaki was asleep. He sat and watched, her for many moments before he went to her and nuzzled her neck. He may not be able to give her a courtship mark, but he was not going to let her go without an affection mark. He slowly left the room.
Sesshomaru's mind whirled. Images of the twenty years from the time she was sent away to the day she returned, whirled past in rapid succession.
He remembered the canings, and when he was self disciplined enough for them to stop.
He remembered his father taking two new mates, one a youkai, one a human. He remembered the birth of his brother, Inuyasha.
He remembered Inutaitio sending his human mate away for her protection.
He remembered killing his father's youkai mate when he found she was an enemy spy. His father's grief made him swear that he would never trust a youkai female ever again.
He remembered Inuyasha and his step-mother's return.
Then, Murasaki returned.
She had grown more beautiful in her time away. She was no longer a thin, beautiful female child. Murasaki was a full grown, goddess-like vision.
At first, Murasaki ignored Sesshomaru. She kept herself perfectly composed and her eyes lowered. She spoke only when spoken to. She only spoke freely when her brother bid her, and never in mixed company.
Sesshomaru remembered listening to the idle gossip of the females from the other side of a screen. Her laughter was melodic. Her singing and playing of the dulcimer were heavenly. He wanted to see her face, to see her smile.
A week after her return, Sesshomaru handed Inutaitio his emotion journal.
"Sesshomaru? What is this?"
"It is time for you to begin caning me again. I have been showing emotion and sneaking around. I want to be able to talk to Murasaki. I want to see her face, and her smile."
"No, you are well disciplined already. All males go through a loss of composure near the one they are to mate. It is the one loss of composure that is permitted. You are nearly thirty seven. It is about time for you to properly court her. Remember, you are still not allowed to touch her in any manner. She is still not allowed to speak to you , unless I or Mikageishi give her leave to speak. You are never to be together unless there is a chaperone. It can be a servant, but neither of you may speak if a lesser is the chaperone. In those cases, you may use this to convey your heart to her. "
Inutaitio handed a silk purse and motioned him to open it, "A flute, father?"
"The male courtship flute. Murasaki has been given the female flute. I will teach you the song that will combine with her song to create a blessed harmony."
"Thank you, father."
"I have also have had a kekkon staff prepared, for your wedding. It is called Saiminjutsu. Mind your manners. Keep your composure, and the staff will be given sooner."


Once the shrine was cleaned and Sesshomaru was properly dressed again. Murasaki had everyone sit down. Kagome brought in the food.
"Wait until Sesshomaru wakes to start eating!" Murasaki scolded Nintashiro and Inuyasha as they grabbed for the food.
Murasaki concentrated. Sesshomaru let out a slight groan and opened his eyes. He stared at Murasaki a moment then grabbed Murasaki by the throat with his left hand.
"How dare you put me asleep without permission," He said stoically, "You are a noble born female, you should know better."
"Father! No !"
Sesshomaru turned his eyes to those in the room then turned back to Murasaki. He did not want to kill her, but she needed to remember her place. He glanced at his arm and let Murasaki go.
He studied the reattached arm. He showed no emotion outwardly , but inwardly he was elated.
"A wedding gift for you, my mate." Murasaki said quietly.
"There is no finer gift, other than the birth of a son. How is it possible? The path to my father's grave was forever sealed when Inuyasha took Tetsusaiga."
"You must thank your father. I prayed to him to allow me to retrieve your arm. As it was meant originally to be, Saiminjutsu opened the portal. I was to open it when Inuyasha found a suitable bride. You see, your father made Tetsusaiga to be your brother's kekkon sword. I was surprised he had the sword and no mate. Only a female could pull the sword from the throne."
"What!" Kagome exclaimed," You mean it was not the just the fact that I was human but the fact that I was female that allowed me to draw the sword from the throne!?"
Nintashiro shook his head, "No wonder you smell like his intended. You are, technically, already engaged."
Kagome turned several shades of red. "Lets eat, before it gets too cold."
"I refuse to eat in such company." Sesshomaru stated.
"Keep your emotions in check, my mate. You will only have to endure this one meal with your brother. This is a Bisan tree. You know the dangers of strong negative emotions on it."
"Very well, but I will speak no more until he and his are gone."


As soon as everyone was asleep, Murasaki and Sesshomaru went outside to talk.
"Where will you go now, Sesshomaru?"
"I am on a quest, to destroy a monster more vile than my brother."
"Your brother is not vile, he is just untrained. He has been away from court since he was very young."
"That is only partially true. He and his retainers went to the summer palace after the attack on the winter palace. They nearly froze getting there. He was raised in the summer palace. Father taught him his duty. His mother, while she lived, had too much influence over him. She spoiled him horribly. When his mother died, he rebelled against any training or discipline. When father ordered us both to the front, he turned tail and ran away. He is a coward. His cowardice is partially what got our father killed."
"I see. He has told me none of this."
"He is too cowardly to admit his mistake. Only recently, since he allied himself with those humans has he shown any shred of courage."
"Do you wish Nintashiro and me to stay here?"
"No, I want you to go to the summer palace. I have servants there who can train my son. I would also feel better if you had someone with you when our new pup is born. It will be safer there. I am certain that Naraku knows where this place is. You are in danger here."
"What about the shrine?"
"Use your ears. There is another bisan courting the tree. It will accept her if you are no longer here. Leave the bisan tree to a new mate."
"I suppose you are right."
"I will stay out here and watch. The sleep you made me take has left me restless. You need to rest. We leave in the morning."
"You are going after Naraku?"
"Yes. He had wounded my honor. Before you found me, he tried to kill Nintashiro. I will not tolerate it."
"I will be ready to leave in the morning. What should I tell Inuyasha?"
"Nothing. We should be gone before they wake. Let him find his own way. I only stay my hand this time for your sake. He will not escape his dishonor much longer. I am patient."


Please review