InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Seeing Through New Eyes ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter: 6
 
 
Fire.

That was the first thing Kagome smelled when she arrived in the feudal era. Kagome's eyes widened as the scent of human blood hit her nose.

Youkai were attacking the village.

Jumping stealthily out of the well, Kagome sprinted towards the burning village, still in her human form, not waiting for Togashi to catch up. Kagome stopped on the hill, overlooking the damage. There were four oni, there scaly skin was dripping with some sort of sludgy poison. Her friends were having trouble defeating one of them.

Kagome sniffed. Togashi stood next to her on the hill.

“I'll be back in a minute.” She spoke aloud to the inu.

`You are going to help them?' he asked, looking at her.

“My pack is in there. Besides, they're after me anyways.” She disappeared into the thick smoke. Togashi stayed behind and watched the female who saved him fight.

Racing through the village, Kagome headed for the largest oni, most likely the leader. Conjuring her lightning sword, she stopped in front of it.

“Looking for me?” It looked down at her. “You? A weak little human?” He laughed.

Its eyes flashed, “You have them! Give me the sacred jewel shards!”

Kagome looked bored. “Do you actually expect me to give them to you? You're even dumber than you look!” She got into her battle stance. The oni rushed at her, the poison burning the ground at his feet. Kagome didn't move. When it came to swinging distance, Kagome flicked her sword. The lightning power turned the youkai to ash. Two others both came at her. With a similar motion, they were gone from the world.

“Pathetic,” Kagome smirked, putting away her sword as she noticed the Inutachi coming towards her. Her heart beat sped up. Even after four years, she'd been too busy training to think about how to break the news to them. `Eh, I'll wing it.'

When they reached her, the Sango spoke first, “Are you okay? Are you hurt? How did you defeat them so easily, Kagome?”

`Here we go,' Kagome gave an inward sigh. “Well, I'm going to explain it the best way that I can, so please no interruptions,” She looked at Inuyasha pointedly. “Alright, it's like this…”

Later…

“What! Have you gone mental?! You obviously can't be a youkai!” Inuyasha yelled. Kagome just finished her story, with several gasps and `Yeah, right's along the way, when Inuyasha couldn't hold in his disbelief any longer.

Kagome groaned, “Well of course I'm a youkai, Inuyaha! Do you think I would just make that whole thing up?! Look, I'll show you my youkai form. Then you'll believ me.”

Kagome stood up (she was sitting down as she told her friends the news) and backed away. She couldn't stand too close to her while she transformed, or else the youki would kill them. Kagome closed her eyes. The same red and purple lights surrounded her. As the colors faded, Kagome's now silvery blue eyes opened.

Gasps were heard from all of her companions. Shippou actually went as far as to sniff her to make sure it was really her. She patted his head, “Yes it's me, Shippou.”

“Kagome, you look so beautiful!” Sango complimented. Kagome smiled, happy they approve. Sango, Shippou, and Miroku all surrounded her, `ooh' and `ahh' was said occasionally. Inuyasha stood a little away with a far off look in his eyes.

“Inuyasha, what's wrong?” Kagome actually had a pretty good idea as to what was bothering him. He used to be the strongest in the group. Everyone depended on him, especially Kagome. Now, she could take care of herself.

Also, Kagome was an inu youkai. Inu have strong instincts and they expect others in the pack to follow. Inuyasha's instincts weren't as high because he is half human. Now that another inu is in the group, his instincts will become more dominant.

He shuffled his feet and looked around. Suddenly an unwanted smell caught his nose. Another inu, but its smell was different…

“Kagome, did you bring someone here with you?” The dog smell also had the smells of the modern era.

Kagome gasped. Oh crap! I forgot about Togashi! “I'll be right back, you guys.” She yelled over her shoulder as she jumped back up the hill to where Togashi sat waiting.

As Kagome appeared next to the still disguised inu, she spoke out loud, “Sorry, Togashi. I had to talk to my friends. They never saw me in this form before so I had to show them and I forgot you were here. I apologize.” She gave a small bow. Even though he looked like an ordinary dog, he still deserved respect.

`It's alright. You had to take care of your pack, it is understandable.' He took in a deep breath of the clean, unpolluted air. `I do believe I can get rid of this mortal form now.'

A light blue, nearly silver mist surrounded the inuyoukai as he dropped the magic concealing spell. In the place of the Labrador-sized animal was a saber-tooth tiger sized demon. It had blood-red eyes and was similar in markings as before. Only this time along the inu's back was a silver star; the same silver star as the one on Kagome's forehead.

Kagome's eyes widened, `No wonder Miako and Toshi had me save him. We are both from the North-western lands.'

According to Toshi, almost all inuyoukai born in the North-western lands have a silver star somewhere on their body. It's only in the Northern half of the country that demons, other than taiyoukai in other areas, such as Lord Sessoumaru, have some sort of marking to prove territory. It is the only way for outsiders to be able to enter the lands.

Lifting her hair to show her own star, Kagome spoke, “No wonder I was supposed to set you free. But anyway, I suppose we part ways now? You don't have to of course, but if you stayed you would have to put up with a bunch of humans… and a hanyou.” Kagome was hesitant on the last part, not knowing how he'd react to traveling with someone like him.

Surprisingly enough, Togashi didn't react negatively. Trying to act uninterested he said, `I suppose it would be best if I came with you. I do have a debt that needs to be settled.'

Kagome could tell he just wanted to stay with her. So with a well held back giggle she replied, “Alright, welcome to the Inutachi.”