InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sengoku Shorts ❯ The Oracle ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

For: Prpl Pen
Fandom: Inuyasha
Pairing: Kagura/Kagome
Theme: Oracle
Words: 310
 
The Oracle
 
It hadn't been long since Naraku first created her, but already Kagura tired of his control. She longed for her freedom, but knew that it would be a slow, precarious journey to gain it.
 
One day she encountered a strange, old woman whose shoulders appeared perpetually hunched over. “Care to have your fortune told, Missy?”
 
“Tch,” Kagura continued on past her, “I don't believe in such nonsense.”
 
But the old woman's ragged voice called out. “I see in your eyes that you wish to be free.”
 
Kagura stopped in mid-step. She turned to the old woman, and scowled. “What do you think I am, a fool? You could say that to any person and it'd hold a bit of truth.” But Kagura felt herself moving closer to the oracle.
 
“Your heart…” the old woman murmured. “I see it…. It belongs to someone else.”
 
Kagura gasped. How could she have known that? Maybe this wasn't a load of crock…
 
The oracle continued. “But the person who holds your heart… She is hoping for you.”
 
Kagura's face fell. She? Who the hell was `she' supposed to be?
 
Leaving the oracle behind in the dust, Kagura flew away, disgusted. To think that she'd actually started believing that foolishness. Naraku held her heart, not a woman. And there was certainly no one hoping for her…
 
“You will be free one day!” the oracle called after her. But Kagura didn't hear it.
 
-
 
Much, much later, Kagome asked Kagura to join them. “You'll be safer…”
 
And Kagura saw it. That look in Kagome's eyes. It was… hope.
 
Kagura's body jerked in realization. So, she mused, that's who the old bat was talking about. There was a twinge of regret in her heart as she flew away, declining the offer of companionship.
 
It was too late for that…
 
Kagome watched her go with an aching heart.