InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sesshoumaru's Flame ❯ Home Coming ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: All I can say is... I'm really dizzy... tee-hee, I can't even type straight (my cold medicine makes me really, really wooozy)... but I love all of you so, I'll write this chapter even if I pass out in the middle of it! I hope you like it ^-^!

Disclaimer: I won't do it! You can't make me!! Oww, okay, okay, I'll do it! I-I don't own any of these characters... EXCEPT SESSHOUMARU-SAMA... HE'S ALL MINE!!! OWWWWWW! Okay, geeze, I-I don't really own him either... That was cruel, do you realize how hard it is to type with only one arm??


Chapter Four- Home Coming


InuYasha reached the den just as it really began to pour, "Kouga! Kouga, you stupid wolf, where are you?" He ignored every thing around him and headed to the back of the cave.

"What is it mutt-face?" Kouga sat in the pile of straw at the very back of the den.

"We need to talk, now." InuYasha grabbed the wolf prince and proceeded to drag him out of the sheltered area. Kouga started to protest but realized that it was probably extremely urgent if InuYasha was doing this.

"This better be good," Kouga muttered as they stepped into the rain. "What is it?"

"Ineedyourhelp," the statement came out as one long word as he spat it out like poison.

Kouga smirked, 'This is new. Heh, this is all to my advantage.' "What was that? I could barely hear you, what with all this rain."

InuYasha glared at his rival, and repeated his plea, each word quietly stressed. "/I/ /need/ /your/ /help/."

"Heh, I knew it," his smirk grew in size, as did his head. "Sure I'll help ya, of course there's a price."

"What is it?" InuYasha seethed.

"Well, I want my woman of course," he said matter-of-factly.

"That's nice," InuYasha countered. "But if you don't stop yappin' your head off nobody will ever see Kagome again."

At this Kouga's cocky smirk faltered, "Whaddaya mean 'nobody will ever see her again?' Spit it, puppy, what's goin' on."

InuYasha explained Kagome's disappearance and told of how he had in fact found her scent but the clues were too confusing to follow. "And now that it's raining I won't be able to find her scent... and being a full demon... you have a better nose than I do," the last part a quiet confession.

Kouga didn't hesitate as he grabbed InuYasha and tossed him piggy-back style onto his back and began to run. "Let's go then."

InuYasha was well beyond shocked, "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING, YOU CRAZY WOLF? LET ME DOWN!" InuYasha wanted to push himself off but he knew that doing so would be perilous considering how fast they were going.

"Not a chance, you can't run fast enough and I need all of those confusing clues that you were talkin' about. Now start talkin' while I get us to that well you mentioned." InuYasha knew that he had no choice so he told Kouga about the scent of his brother and an odd trail that led to nowhere as they set off towards the village.

~*~

Sesshoumaru listened as the soft pitter-patter of the rain slowed and eventually stopped. Kagome had slept the entire time and since the shelter was fairly small he was not able to remove her head from his shoulder. In short, they were in the same position that they had started in. She was sleeping quite peacefully and he had the strangest urge not to wake her. Smothering said urge he abruptly stood, Kagome went to leaning on his leg. Then much to his chagrin she attached herself to it, wrapping her arms tightly around his leg in a vice like grip. He was tempted to shake her off, that was, until she began to nuzzle his calf.

"Mmmmm," was all that she muttered in her sleeping state. And in turn all he could do was stare down at her in wonder. When he finally did snap out of it he bent down to pry her arms from around him... she held fast. It wasn't that he couldn't get her off, it was just that he couldn't do it without hurting her.

"Kagome," he said, crouching so that he could mumble stiffly into her ear. "Wake up." It was most obvious that she was still asleep but she still managed to shake her head, if only slightly.

"Kagome," still into her ear, but this time he softened his voice, it sounded rather sweet, "you must wake up." As though by magic her arms loosened a bit and her eyelashes fluttered to signal the opening of her sparkling orbs of chocolate.

"Hmm? Oh, has it stopped raining?" she looked up into the pair of eyes before her and realized just how close they were. Curious she proceeded to look down to see what it was that she was holding onto exactly. "Nee! I'm really sorry! Did I do that in my sleep?" she questioned while letting go of the strong calf that she had been fondling.

He made no move to answer her, but his golden eyes were alight with amusement at the shade of red that she had turned. As he stood he held out a hand to help her up. She meekly took the offering and he raised her from the ground with a graceful ease. "So, are we off?" she asked quietly.

He nodded, held up a single finger and turned to scan the surrounding forest, when he was satisfied that there was no reason to be wary he turned to face her and said, "Yes, we will leave immediately."

She timidly approached him, still feeling the embarrassment of the previous events. His eyes smiled down upon her as he scooped her up and once more took to the now crisp, clean air. Looking up to her captor she wondered why instead of being furious with her as she had expected he had seemed to be laughing at her embarrassment. She suddenly shook her head in shock, 'He's laughing at me, isn't he?!' As she proceeded to stare up at him a small-- more like miniscule-- smile spread across his normally staunch features. This caused a small gasp to come from her, he looked down questioningly.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked, his voice, as per usual, void of all emotion.

"N-no, nothing at all," she managed. He may have smiled once but there was no guarantee that if she pointed it out, he would merely shrug it off, it was entirely too likely that he would become enraged instead. 'So, we change the subject,' she wisely decided. "How far away is this place?"

His eyes fixed forward, he replied, "Not too far."

'Gee thanks,' she thought sarcastically, 'that helps so much!'

"We should be there not ten minutes from now."

"Oh, good," was all she could think of to say since it wasn't often that she got a real answer from him.

Sesshoumaru was deep in his own tremulous thoughts as he transported them. 'What is it about her that I seem to find so d**ned endearing? This has never happened before,' he scolded himself.

'Not true,' the infinitely more frank side of him argued. 'This has too happened before, and you loved every second of it-- as soon as you were able to admit it to yourself.'

All he was able to do was sigh in acknowledgement, it was the truth, as soon as he accepted the fact he had been enjoying Rin's company he started to enjoy the time that he spent with her even more than he had before. 'Perhaps I should just give myself a head start this time and admit it now,' he thought ruefully.

Oh dear,snapped Sesshoumaru from his thoughts. Is that it? Kagome questioned, blinking incredulously at the great manor (A/N: okay, so this is really an English word for an English building, but, I-I ran out of synonyms before her.

Sesshoumaru nearly smiled in delight at the note of disbelief in Kagome's voice, he repressed this urge easily, still not quite ready to admit too much-- even to himself. Yes, this is where you shall be residing for a time, he stated, but Kagome wasn't listening, she was much too enthralled to listen.

It was an amazing structure, and Kagome quickly identified the structure as a yamajiro [2]! Her mind raced through her history class, 'This has gotta be new!' She continued to study the wonderful architecture and was soon corrected by her own thoughts as they got closer, 'That's way too big to be a yamajiro,' she mused. The structure was indeed impressive, the multiple peaks and various roof-tops reaching high into the sky. Her eyes grazed over the graceful swoops and sharp angles of the extravagant architecture, she gasped in awe as they began to slowly descend .

Filled with an inexplicable pleasure at seeing Kagome in such a state over his home, Sesshoumaru took his time getting to the ground. When they finally did reach the soft grass beneath them he set Kagome down gently and motioned for her to follow him in. As they reached the grand entrance her eyes began to grow wider, Sesshoumaru could hear her heart begin to beat faster. He wondered what could have had such an affect on her, it was one thing to be excited about something extravagant , but quite another to be affected so immensely .

He turned to face her, "Are you alright?"

She nodded but continued to absorb her surroundings, until she noticed the peculiar look on his face-- which she was unaccustomed to in and of itself-- and quickly made an excuse for her actions. "Forgive me, please," she politely begged. "I've never told anyone this but one of my secret passions is studying historical architecture." The emotion that had crossed his face was long gone but the curiosity in his eyes did not diminish at all, she silently wondered why.

"I assure you that none of this is historical. I had this part of the building constructed as soon as the land came into my possession. The historical portion of the building is further back."

Kagome smacked her head against the heel of her palm, "No, I didn't mean- well, I did- but not like that! I- ARGH!" Her mind raced, 'Should I tell him? Why would he need to know? Because if he thinks you're crazy he's gonna dump your butt in the middle of the forest and you don't know how to get out. All the more reason NOT to tell him. But he's looking at me funny! Ahh, I'll just tell him, hey, if I keep slipping up like that he'll find out anyway.'

Throughout this moment Sesshoumaru just kept waiting for her to explain. To his servants the only thing that was out of the ordinary was Kagome and her speratic fragments of attempted explanatory sentences. Kagome was the only one who had seen behind the cold gaze.

Making up her mind, Kagome began her excuse, "This is all sort of historical to me," she began quietly. "You see I'm not from around here-- at all. There's a well in the InuYasha Forest," she paused, awaiting a flare of anger to come from the demon lord standing not five feet away from her at the mention of his half-brother's name. When none came, she continued, "When I enter this well I go from this time to another one, farther in time, into the future basically . That is where I come from, I don't really live in this period." For the first time during her speech she looked up at Sesshoumaru, not really knowing what to expect. She saw nothing for the first time since she had woken up.

He turned abruptly , "Come with me," was all that was said. Kagome had no idea if he believed her or not, but she did not exactly have the time to find out as she scurried to catch up with Sesshoumaru's long strides.

As they walked along the hallways Kagome knew that she should have been wondering where they were going and what was going to happen to her when they got there, but that wasn't what was going through her mind. Instead her head was filled with thoughts of what styles of architecture were being represented in Sesshoumaru's "humble" abode. As her eyes darted excitedly to and fro Sesshoumaru tried not to laugh, the mere sight of this woman was more than amusing, she looked like a little child in a toy store. He was about to comment on it-- Heaven only knows why-- when a streak of orange and cream colors topped by a blob of black, launched itself at the dignified Sesshoumaru-sama.

As he caught the flying little mass it screeched "SESSSSSSHOOOOOOOOOOOUMARUUUUU-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMAAAHHHHHHHHHH!" and proceeded to bounce up and down in his arms.

"It certainly is good to see you too, Rin. What have you been doing while I've been gone?"

"EEEE! First Rin picked flowers for Sesshoumaru-sama! Then she put them on a table and forgot about them. Then Rin went to play with Jaken-sama-- Jaken-sama didn't want to play. So Rin went to play with Emi-san! Emi-san gave Rin lots of sweets! Then Rin wanted to play dress-up! But Jaken-sama didn't want to..." at this point she looked around suspiciously , and whispered, "but when Jaken-sama was taking his nap... Rin put one of her summer kimonos and a pretty crown of daisies over Jaken-sama's head." With that said she immediately went back to her original volume, "After that Rin remembered the flowers that she picked for Sesshoumaru-sama... They died real quick. That was today, yesterday Rin and Ja-"

Sesshoumaru put a finger up to the lips that seemed to be moving at the speed of light and smiled tenderly down at the girl. Needless to say Kagome was slightly surprised, but she also understood that if the girl was here, and sitting comfortably in his arms talking about her day, there must have been an emotional attachment... but that still didn't seem to suit the personality that he had shown her since they first met-- excluding, of course, today.

Sesshoumaru glanced at Kagome, and Rin followed his gaze with her own eyes, both of which immediately shot wide open as soon as she had spotted another person to talk to and be friends with. Squirming out of Sesshoumaru's grasp, Rin bounded over to Kagome and latched onto her leg in an affectionate hug.

Looking down at the child, Kagome smiled and said, "Hello there, I'm Kagome. What's your name?"

This set off another burst of energy from her newly found attachment. "Rin is Rin!" she said happily. Kagome gave a small laugh at the answer, she had assumed that Rin had been another child that she played with, but the way she spoke about everyone else, it was plain that she had been talking about herself. "Will you be Rin's friend?" she asked curiously.

Smiling widely Kagome nodded, with an affirmation of a brand new friendship, Rin jumped for joy and managed to wrap herself around Kagome's middle... and just hang there. Obviously not surprised by this action one bit, Sesshoumaru detached the Rin with relative ease, stating that he needed to show Kagome to her room and that she would be able to play later. With that Rin nodded vigorously and bounded off down the hallway and around a corner, intent on getting to a place of great importance to her six-and-an-half-year-old life.

Sesshoumaru watched this action with great affection showing-- only in his eyes-- no more was there a trace of any type of emotion on the rest of his visage. When Rin finally turned the corner, Sesshoumaru automatically turned around and recommenced his journey down the hall, Kagome following close in his tracks this time. When he stopped Kagome looked eagerly into the room as he slid the door open, she had heard that she was being shown to her room, she was overly excited to see what it looked like.

It was beautiful, but also grand and overbearing. She was absolutely sure that it could not have been made for only one person, especially a mere guest. She looked at Sesshoumaru in question, he led her in.

"This is where you will be staying," he paused, this would not be easy to say to the girl, but he could find no other way. "These are also my personal chambers, so I will be staying in them as well," he was turned away from her so he was not able to see the expressions that crossed her face, and there were quite a few of them.

"This really isn't necessary," she began to protest. "I would fair just as well in-"

"I did not choose this situation, but it must be so. I need you where I can get to you within seconds at all times," he turned towards her. "Is this clear?"

Kagome nodded slowly, wondering at her host's odd demands. But she was not about to ask /any/ questions-- at all.

"Very well then, I shall leave you here to clean up, as I am sure you want to. There will be a servant sent up to help with everything. You must be down stairs in an hour, that is when dinner starts," with that said, he turned and walked out of the room, sliding the door shut behind him, yet leaving a very confused miko behind him also.

~*~

When InuYasha and Kouga had finally reached the village it had stopped raining, Kouga was not to be discouraged though, nor was InuYasha. They both knew that it would be extremely difficult to find Kagome's scent after a rain fall as heavy as the last one, but it was something that had to be done. Miroku came out of Kaede's hut to find the two fighting with each other over what should be done next.

"We need to start from the beginning or else you won't get any of it!" InuYasha screamed at the enraged wolf.

"No way! If we waste time doing that, by the time we get to the important part of the trail it'll have already faded!" Kouga countered rather loudly.

Miroku shook his head and turned to go back inside, he knew that there was really nothing that he could do until they found out where the trail lead, so until then he would just wait in the village and entertain himself there.

~*~

A/N: Nah!! Who would have guessed that the flu could hang on so darned long! So not only am I seriously dizzy I cannot allow myself to drink caffeine ... it only increases the speed of an already spinning room -_-V. Anywho, I hope that you enjoyed this, I really don't know what was written so I'm gonna thank Miroku's Wench for attempting to proof-read it even though I know that she claims to have problems proof-reading... I suppose I shall find out when I am able to again read without complications!! Ahh, can't wait for that day to come... Sorry, was I complaining this entire time? Tee-hee... don't listen to me, just review the fic please... I love to hear from you guys >^-^<! And as always, flames with a point are accepted with open arms!

The next chapter will be up ASAP! Promise ^^!

Here, this is for the numbered word:

         A yamajiro, or Mountain-castle, was built during Japan's Ancient and Medieval periods. They were extremely tall, about 80 to 100 meters. They were built mostly for Generals