InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sesshoumaru's Flame ❯ Trouble in the Newly Established Paradise ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: I'm a gonna thank those who've reviewed at the beginning this time 'cause there were only like four of you guys (right after I typed this I got two more ^-^ THANK YOU!!)... 'scool... I'll-I'll be f-f-fine, it r-really didn't affect me at all... WAAAAA!!!! No, seriously, I'll be alright, I've had fewer with less substance ^^! Anywho, thanks much! Oh, and forgive the reviews for the reviews... these were done at like three AM, I had nothing else to do (0.o that's right... I was done with my homework!!!!), but no worries, 'cause the story will be done at a much more civil time... well that's when it will be started anywho, it'll probably run on into some Heaven-forsaken AM hour again... But anyway, these are for joo:

InuYashasLoveLorn: Yup, yup, yup! I think that I'll screw with InuYasha and Kouga a bit more before I let them meet up with everyone =^-^=

Angel_4_life: YAY!!! I'm soo happy you liked it, 'cause obviously... I wasn't too fond of it myself, but that makes me feel better. Oh, and as for the person that told me I sucked at tender moments... well... <.<...>.>... that was me ^_^V PLEASE DON'T FORCE ME TO EAT A POWER BAR!!! I'LL DO AAAAANNYTHING!!!!! ^_~.... Thanks so much for the support, hope you enjoy this chapter too!

Mystic Hanyou: Once Sesshoumaru makes up his mind there's no stopping him... You have noooo idea ::evil grin:: Oh, I'll be sure to check that movie out as soon as I can find money! If joo like slap stick and haven't seen 'Blazing Saddles' you're missin' out on somethin' great... or nearly any of Mel Brooks' films... But you've probably seen it 'cause it's one of da best movies evah! Oh, and don't forget about 'Young Frankenstein!' Yah, off on another rant... sorry -_-V.... Thanks much fo' da review!

FongSaiYuki319: 0.0 ::Lip quivers:: Thank you so much! I love hearing that I could please the readers!!! Keep reviewing, 'cause I looove hearin' from you!!!! Hope dis chaptah is just as fun... or more so!!

the soulcollecter: Sorry 'bout the grammar... most of them are probably intentional though -_-V... Anywho, yah, the SessXKag pairing is a great one... buuuuut just to keep you in suspense I'm gonna tell you a secret! I also like InuYasha X Kagome pairings!! Don't worry though!! Everything will turn out juuuust fine for our two lovely heros sooooo... well, you know ^_~!

LadyOrion: Thanks =^-^=! Oh, 'bout Sango... yah, I know, it seemed /really/, /really/, //really// random in the fic. Truth be told, I didn't really wanna put it in there, buuuut... <.<...>.>.... Mirokus Wench is scary when anyone says the "S" word and since I decided that she had to be put in there... Just trust me on this one, this was the best way... I really don't have a death wish this week, is the reason for that entire scene basically.... But thanks again fo' the review, hope you like this chapter a bit more than the last ^-^!


Disclaimer: I don't own nothin'... 'septin' duh possum I randid over last this mornin', I'ma gonna grill 'er up in a sec.... 0.0... Forgive me -_- <- low bow... It's rather early!!!


Chapter Nine- Trouble in the Newly Established Paradise

The foursome sat at the dinner table, Udon actually beside it-- per Sesshoumaru. Rin was as bouncy as ever, chewing her food while doing a little dance on her cushion. Kagome, on the other hand, was dead tired. Her food had yet to be touched and her head was leaning on Sesshoumaru's arm as she stifled a large yawn. Sesshoumaru took his attention from the dancing Rin to the sleepy Kagome and smiled, she looked up and returned the gesture.

"Sorry, a little worn out from the day's events, that's all," he nodded with understanding. "We still have yet to go to that little village."

"True, but perhaps later, after you have had the chance to rest."

Kagome nodded, and proceeded to cuddle-up to Sesshoumaru's tail and stated sleepily, "That sounds good to me, but we can't forget."

Sesshoumaru smiled down at the top of Kagome's head as she yawned once more. All was peaceful for a moment's time, but of course, in the present company, nothing ever stays that way for long. Sesshoumaru, of course, was the first to pick up on the fact that they had company, company with urgent business it seemed, for they were approaching at near break neck speeds. He did nothing about it though, he was comfortable and refused to be disturbed. Let a servant answer it, that's what they're for anyway.

"KAGOME!!!" no servant needed. Miroku and Shippo stood before the peacefully dining group, Miroku at a defensive stance, Shippo ready with tricks-- behind the monk.

"Kagome, " Shippo yelled with as much courage as he could muster. "You don't hafta be afraid anymore 'cause we're-- AHHHHHHH!!! Attack dog!" Shippo jumped to Miroku's shoulder as Udon ran up to the pair and began barking, defending his owners.

Kagome, by this point was processing all of the new occurrences. She rose to pick up the little puppy who was still desperately trying to defend her and Rin, and wiggled her fingers at the two, "Hey guys! Took ya long enough, why don'tchya have a seat? There's plenty of room."

"But we came to-- well, to rescue you," Miroku stumbled, not exactly sure what all had gone on while she had been alone with the demon lord, it seemed at the moment that she had been either brain washed or the Kouga incident was happening all over again.

Kagome giggled at the statement, Sesshoumaru nearly growled, "A little late for that guys. Now sit down, you look bushed."

Miroku and Shippo gingerly took a seat at the low table, a servant immediately came to set a place before them to eat. "So what exactly is going on Kagome?" Miroku asked, intentionally avoiding the glare he was receiving from Sesshoumaru.

Kagome smiled warmly at Miroku and ruffled Shippo's hair as she said, "Nothin' much here, how 'bout yourself?"

The only thing Miroku could do in response to such a statement was stutter his little heart out, it was at this point that Sesshoumaru grew tired of such nonsense and stalked out of the room. As he turned the corner if they had been listening they would have heard a loud thump as Sesshoumaru hit the floor, followed promptly by a growl and a few obscenities that were indeed very colorful. But, none heard any of said events, Miroku was still stunned and Shippo had taken to talking to Rin, Rin was introducing Shippo to Udon, and of course Kagome was trying to keep Udon off the table as she continued to try explaining things to Miroku. Sesshoumaru decided that it was safe to merely sit and wait for everything to be straightened out, preferably without him present. He had this indefinable feeling that he might not make it through the meal without murdering the monk, Sesshoumaru simply was not very fond of the feeling he was getting from him.

Besides all of that he was startled to find that he was still attached to Kagome in such a painful way. He wasn't as adamant about having the entire situation revoked as he had been earlier, but being the prideful demon that he was he still did not relish the thought of being chained to /anyone/ against his will. He had confessed his love to her, she had even stated that she resiprocated the feeling, what else needed to happen? Perhaps there was something missing? He knew for a fact that he was at the point that he would have absolutely no qualms with taking such a brave, kind, young beauty as his mate, which brought the question to mind, what would she have to say about such a statement?

"Come on! You really have to calm down!" Kagome admonished her worried friend. "Nothing bad happened while I was gone. In fact the worst thing that did happen, I think, was the fact that my powers changed while I was in a strange place. Even that doesn't matter, I've learned to control them, with the help of Sesshoumaru-sama, of course."

Miroku, once again, was caught speechless-- a rare occurrence which seemed to be happening more and more lately. Shippo, on the other hand, was anything but speechless, "Are you defending Sesshoumaru-sama? Why Kagome?! I don't get it!"

Rin looked at Shippo incredulously, as though the poor dear were blind as a bat, "Why wouldn't she defend him? They're," as she neared this point in her sentence she lowered her voice and looked around as though to make sure that no one she couldn't see was listening in and she finished with a near disgusted tone yet she still retained the undercurrent of whim, "in love."

Kagome blushed furiously as Miroku's jaw dropped and nearly hit the table in the process. Shippo had no trouble getting his jaw to work, "WHAT?!?!?!"

"Surely the child is joking, am I correct Lady Kagome?" Miroku found his voice, and though it sounded confidant there was still wavering uncertainty mingled in with his lofty confidence.

"The child's name is Rin, and no, she does not jest," Sesshoumaru returned from around the corner but for all the rest of the room knew, he had been miles away mere moments ago.

"Oh, hi there, where were you?" Kagome asked, searching desperately to change the subject. She knew her friends wished the best for her and she was absolutely sure that they would /not/ agree with her choice in a male specimen (and what a specimen he is!!! >_< -mmmmmmm).

Sesshoumaru glanced at Miroku again before seating himself next to Kagome, "Nowhere."

"That's impossible, Sesshoumaru-sama!" Rin cried out cheerfully. "If you were nowhere, then where would you be?"

"That doesn't make sense, if he was nowhere, then he wasn't anywhere," Shippo reasoned.

"That doesn't make sense either!" Rin retorted.

Kagome smiled down at the two as she blatantly ignored the two men who were intent on glaring at one another, each seemingly attempting to burn holes in the other's forehead. Sesshoumaru glared for he didn't quite care for the monk that sat next to Kagome, perhaps it was because he was human, but there was also the fact that Miroku didn't seem to accept the relationship that had just been revealed to him. Miroku glared for the exact same reason Sesshoumaru was glaring at him, he would not accept what he had just been told. There had been far too many close calls in the past where Sesshoumaru had attempted to kill Kagome, what had become of those feelings? Plus, he felt that this truly was just a repeat of what happened with Kouga. Kagome's kind heart extended just a little too far sometimes.

"Hey, Rin-chan," Shippo whispered, pointing to Miroku and Sesshoumaru. "Look at 'em, they look like they're gonna rip each other's heads off!"

Rin stared wide-eyed at the pair, "Nuh-uh, Rin's seen when Sesshoumaru-sama wants to rip someone's head off, this doesn't look like the usual stuff-- your friend might wanna run pretty soon 'cause this doesn't look too good for him."

At this, Shippo became indignant, "Whaddaya mean, Miroku better run? Miroku could kick Sesshoumaru's butt any day!"

Rin's face turned beet red, she had never head such blasphemy! "What? No one could ever kick Sesshoumaru-sama's butt!"

And so the fight began anew.

As for the other two, they continued their "stare-down." Sesshoumaru knew he would win, if there was one thing that an emotionless being could do, it was not blink. Miroku was a monk, many times he found that he had nothing better to do than see how long he could hold his breath or perhaps take note of the amount of time that he had gone without blinking.

"Why do you not blink Sesshoumaru-sama?" 'Blink.'

"Why don't you?" 'Blink.'

"Well, I don't exactly feel the need to, but as for yourself, your eyes must be parched." 'Blink.'

"I believe I know the state of my eyes, thank you very much. Looking at yours though, I do detect a hint of redness, perhaps you should look into blinking." 'Blink.'

"I am fine thank you." 'Blink.'

'Blink,' thought one.

'Blink,' thought the other.

Neither did so.

Kagome clapped her hands in the middle of the table, the kids looked at her, as for the adults, well that was a lost cause. She stood up and sighed, after motioning for Rin and Shippo to follow her, they exited the room, oddly enough, not even this snapped them from their trance-like states. Rolling her eyes and shrugging, she took the hand of each child and led them to the gardens.

~*~

"GURGLE-RUMBLE-GLORP..." InuYasha turned a disgusted look to Kouga.

"What the h**l was that?"

"My gut, you gotta problem with it?"

"Yah, shut it up," InuYasha turned back around.

"The only way to shut it up is to fill it up, dog-breath!" Kouga countered.

InuYasha sighed, "Don't tell me your actually hungry!"

"GURGLE-GLOOOR-GLUG..." Kouga cocked an eyebrow at InuYasha.

"What of it?" he mumbled. "Let's just go find somethin' to eat."

"Why? There's a town like three seconds from here. Let's just eat there."

InuYasha looked at Kouga warily, "Three seconds, as in by running, or three seconds as in I could walk it?"

Kouga smirked, "Don't worry, it's right behind that little grove of trees."

"Fine then, wipe that cocky-a**ed smrik off your face and let's get goin'."

As they made their way through the town they got a few of the looks that they were used to receiving but made no move to acknowledge any of them. They turned into an inn and asked the owner for some noodles and a few other things-- half the menu to be more specific. After gobbling all of that down they finally spoke to one another.

"Ahhh, great meal, so why don't you pay the nice man, dog-turd?" Kouga asked as he leaned back and patted his now full belly.

"What?! You suggested it, I though you had someway of paying him!"

"Whaddaya mean? I live in a cave," Kouga slowed his speech down as though it may have been just a little too fast for the hanyou in front of him. "Do you really think that I'd have money?"

"Well what makes you think that I have any?" InuYasha pointed out.

"Well, I have it on good account that you've stayed in some pretty swanky places," Kouga stated smugly, thinking he had caught InuYasha in some sly scheme to skip out on paying the bill.

"I travel with that con-artist of a monk! Of course I've stayed in nice places!"

Hearing this, Kouga's eyes grew to match the now empty dinner plates placed in front of each of them. "So you're sayin' that you ain't loaded?"

"Now why the /h**l/ would /I/ be loaded?? You really are an idiot, aren't you?"

"Shhh, I'm thinking!"

"Don't strain anything," InuYasha muttered.

"Why don't we just walk outta here, neh? That way we could get out unnoticed and we wouldn't have to pay the bill."

"What are you on?! Why, in any sane world, would /that/ work?!"

"Hey, I don't see you comin' up with any bright ideas. So what's it gonna be? You can stay here and deal with the owner, or you could make a run for it with me."

InuYasha considered his options, "Fine, let's get outta here."

"Good," Kouga got up and InuYasha followed.

"Um, excuse me good sirs, I believe you forgot your bill!" the owner called out to them.

"Run!" Kouga whispered, and he took off, leaving behind nothing but a trail of dust in his wake.

InuYasha was just about to do the same when a shriveled old hand reached out and grabbed him by the collar, "Excuse me young man, but I think that I asked for my payment."

"Unbelievable," muttered InuYasha.

"True, true. It is quite unbelievable that anyone would try to leave without paying his bill. I know that this is not what you were about to do, correct?"

"We-heh-heh-ll," InuYasha began as tried to pry the old man's fingers from his coat, but to no avail. 'Crud, how friggin' strong is this guy?'

"Yes, we-heh-heh-ll, I do believe I have a job for you," and with that InuYasha was drug to the back room to don a frilly apron and was forced to wash dishes. (A/N: Okay, so I know nothing of aprons and the Feudal Era, buuuuuuut I do know that InuYasha would look frikin' hilarious in one... 'specially a frilly one!!!!!)

~*~

"Wow, Kagome, what happened between you and Sesshoumaru to change your mind so quickly about him?" Shippo asked.

Kagome thought a moment, understanding the question, yet puzzled by it all the same, "Well, I'm not really sure. He just seems different once you get to know him I guess."

Rin handed Kagome a crown of daisies that she had made for her and said with all the wisdom of her years, "Sesshoumaru-sama is really pretty, and he's nicer 'n his little brother, that's why!" At that moment Udon called to Rin and Shippo and all three of them went to frolic in the long grass.

"'Nicer 'n his little brother,' eh? How very true, but will he turn out to be the same anyway?"

"Never, and I'm offended that you would even think such things about me."

Kagome turned around to catch the demon lord and the monk not three feet behind her, Miroku glaring at the back of Sesshoumaru's head and Sesshoumaru completely ignoring the feeling.

"Lady Kagome, InuYasha just needs a swift kick in the pants sometimes, really, you know this as well if not better, than anyone," Kagome smiled at the attempt, but brushed it off easily, if all he needed was a swift kick in the pants, he would have come looking for her long ago. "Truth be told, Lady Kagome, he even went to seek the help of Kouga when he found that you were missing. They weren't making very much head way so young Shippo and I took matters into our own hands."

Kagome's head snapped up, "He went looking for me?" Miroku nodded. "He asked Kouga for help?" Miroku nodded. "They tried to work together to find me?" Miroku nodded. She cocked a brow, "They fought like cats, didn't they?" Miroku sighed and nodded.

Sesshoumaru detected the hope in Kagome's voice as she found all of this out and his heart dropped to his stomach. 'Why does she sound so hopeful?' he worried. He searched her face, even though he could tell that she wasn't happy about the fact that they had been fighting, she was absolutely thrilled that they had gone looking for her. Nothing registered in his visage, he went completely stone cold inside, and he diverted his gaze to the playing trio.

Kagome, normally so in tune with the emotions of others, noticed none of this. She was too busy secretly celebrating the fact that InuYasha had gone to look for her, that he had sought the help of one of his most hated rivals, and even attempted to work with him to find her. She wasn't sure of his motives but she was sure that at the moment it didn't matter at all. Until Sesshoumaru walked towards the children and sat, back towards her, on a rock to watch them play (Those random boulders'll show up anywhere, won't they??). She caught on to what he was feeling, although he wasn't truly sure any more and had shut all emotion out.

'Ahhh! How can he be so fragile?' Kagome's mind screamed. 'He's the big tough Lord of the Western Lands!! Nah!! did I really hurt his feelings?'

Miroku noticed the destress on Kagome's face as she looked to Sesshoumaru. He knelt beside her, and making sure they were eye to eye he said calmly, "Perhaps it's simply for the best."
Seeing the conviction in his eyes Kagome nodded dumbly, why did she think that something like this would work out? She was traveling with his brother for Heaven's sake! He wasn't even aware of her time-traveling habits, how would anything like this ever work out at all?

No one, though, saw Sesshoumaru flinch as he heard the words come from the monk's mouth and then as he heard the air move to signal her nodding. If everything inside of him had not died at that moment he might have had to fight the urge to retch-- lucky for him he could feel absolutely nothing.

Out of the tall grass popped a tiny pony-tailed head. Rin had sensed a very negative change in her lord's disposition. Abandoning her fun she ran as fast as her little legs could carry her towards him. When she reached him she came to a sudden stop about four to five feet before him. After a moment of utter silence-- she began to cry. Great body racking sobs came from the small frame as she closed the space between them and hugged him close. Sesshoumaru was shocked, Rin was doing for him what he had never been able to do. He enveloped her in strong arms attempting to comfort her and perhaps even-- himself.

"Remember," Rin began through her sobs. "Rin-chan will always love her Sesshoumaru-sama-- /no matter what/." His breath hitched as a part of him was revived, only the love of such a child could have snatched him from the brick so swiftly. Although he was far from feeling good he did feel better.

He smiled down to his little one, "Rin, you have no idea what you have done for me, and never fret, I shall always remember." He tucked her little head closer to his chest and slowly rocked her.

When Kagome heard Rin begin to cry she jumped up but Miroku caught her wrist. She looked down at him, disbelief filling her face. "I understand your need to comfort the child Kagome, please remember though, to get too close can only be dangerous for you."

A curt nod that meant absolutely nothing in her mind insured that she was released from the strong and protective grip. She was off bounding towards the weeping child and Miroku was left to himself. "I sorely hope that your heart will not trouble you Kagome. It seems you are all heart so to have it broken might just be detrimental to you." Even if Kagome and Sesshoumaru were able to miss it, Miroku simply couldn't, he knew how deeply Kagome truly felt towards the taiyoukai. One simple act of kindness, love, or anything that could be perceived as any of the afore mentioned and Kagome might realize just how deeply her emotions ran. That, in Miroku's mind, could only have one outcome and it simply wasn't a pretty one, Sesshoumaru could never love Kagome the way she needed to be loved, not someone who was made of ice.

What Miroku neglected to pick-up-- or simply couldn't detect, an understandable oversight-- was how deeply Sesshoumaru cared for Kagome. Oh how little they all knew.

~*~

"Rickin' rackin' ruckin' son of a-- (Yosamite Sam has invaded mah fic! 0.0... ^.^)" InuYasha let string after string of curses fly. The wolf had left him high and dry, so here he was-- stuck washing dishes until he could sneak away.

"Hey, s**t-for-brains, over here!" InuYasha heard a whisper come from a grove of bushes next to the spring. "No, no, wrong way dip-squat!" InuYasha looked behind him to another patch of bushes-- he was sure that it had been coming from the other--

"Ahhhh!" InuYasha let a scream tear through the air as Kouga jumped from the first patch of bushes that he had pegged as the origin of the voice-- not to mention the smell, quite strong to say the least.

"Ha! You're so gullible, dork!" Kouga laughed heartily until he noticed what InuYasha was wearing. "I-is that an apron? W-with ruffles?"

"That's it! Too many wise cracks from dip-s**t! You're goin' down!" InuYasha lunged at Kouga tackling the wolf demon.

"Calm down!" Kouga yelled, attempting to ward off the threatening punches. "D**n it! Cut it out! I came here to get you out of this mess. If you're any louder though, not only will you alert the old fogy to your escape, but you'll also wake the friggin' dead!"

InuYasha rolled off of Kouga and sat cross legged on the ground, reluctantly seeing the logic in the statement. "So, what's the plan?" he sighed.

"Well first things first, you gotta--" Kouga paused and examined InuYasha. "Hey, are you wearing a bow in your hair?" InuYasha was back on Kouga within seconds, pounding him into he dust.

~*~

"You -pant- son of a -pant--" (Translation: You son of a--)

"Don't -gasp-pant- say it! My mom -pant-heave-gasp- was human," (Translation: Don't say it! My mom was human) InuYasha cut Kouga short with no little effort.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Kouga said, catching his breath. "Did you expect that old dude would be able to run that fast?!" InuYasha shook his head vigorously, still in the process of attempting to breathe.

"Heh, calm down kid," Kouga stated playfully, smacking InuYasha on the back. "You sound like you're dyin' on the vine!" InuYasha shot the wolf a glare as he stood there near doubled over, gasping for air like a fish out of water.

"Shut it," was all he got out before his arm shot up from his knee and he socked Kouga in the face.

~*~ (More depressing crud... woo-hee ((<-from FAKE, a Dee-ism))-_-V)

"Is everything alright?" Kagome asked worriedly.

Sesshoumaru never looked up from the still weeping child in his arms. "Everything is fine," he stated coldly, continuing to rock back and forth still attempting to calm little Rin.

Kagome flinched at the chill she heard in his voice, knowing it was all for her only served to make things worse. "Are you sure? Because I could--"

"Everything is fine," he repeated, colder than ever.

Kagome almost backed away when she heard this, but something inside of her told her to keep pushing. She knelt down so that she could lean on Sesshoumaru's knee and comfort the child. He would have jerked away, but he did not wish to disturb Rin, she had calmed a little when Kagome approached. Sad thing was, so had he.

Kagome's hand went to Sesshoumaru's knee as the other one went to Rin's forehead. All movement and sound stopped, except for Kagome's voice.

"Shhhh, it's okay, dear. Everything will turn out, even though it may not seem like it will now, it will eventually." At that moment Kagome began to sing, it was a tune that her mother had taught her after her father had died. She began with a soft, low, soothing tone and as the smooth cadence called for it her voice rose to booming heights and crashed to tiny whispers. It went something like this:

"The air is cold, I wrap my body from it's touch,
The beginning of the good for nothing sky that is far apart
Everyday I stand out in the morning street with everyone.

"Watching the crowded open sea, I breathe in the sour air,
I feel the wind easing my mind.
Why do we rust so easily?

"What don't I understand that is so dark?
I go to a familiar location, yet I am confused
However I tend to begin down this street,
I am.

"You walk a path filled with lonesome loneliness.
Today I think for myself and I choose to sleep
Inside my dream I encounter everything.

"What don't I wish for-- that it is so dark?
I feel I must communicate with you
Today I stay at home.

"Everyone understands the crimson red,
I go to a familiar location, yet I am confused.
Everyone, I hope my crimson red dream comes true.
I am able to walk on my own.
Thereupon, I begin to move in the morning,
The evening opens up,
The evening opens up."
(Please see ending A/N for specific details on this work that I DO NOT OWN! Thanks!)

After she had finished Kagome lifted her face to look at the two seated before her, voice low and tranquil she said, "My mother was always one to fix things with a poem or a song-- heh, I'm chock full of 'em. That one always helped me out when things didn't seem like they were ever going to turn out right."

Rin lifted her head and gave a teary grin. "Kagome-chan knows the right thing to do," Rin pointed out quietly as she sat up. She took a tiny index finger and laid it on Kagome's head. "Kagome might not know here, but--" she moved her finger until it was resting over Kagome's heart, "she knows what to do here. Kagome-chan is right, everything will eventually turn out alright." With that she planted a loving kiss on Sesshoumaru's cheek, murmered a sincere "Rin-chan loves Sesshoumaru-sama," jumped to the ground, kissed Kagome on the cheek, stated that "Rin-chan loves Kagome-chan too," and scampered off towards Udon and Shippo with the feeling that her work for the moment was done.

"Sometimes I think she knows more than she lets on," Kagome stated with wonder.

"I know she does," Sesshoumaru said, rising from his spot.

Miroku approached the still wondering two with a skeptical glance, "What is the next plan of action?"

"'Plan of action?' Whaddaya mean by that?" Kagome asked, whirling around to face the monk.

"We either have to go and find the dynamic duo or we must wait for them to find us."

"InuYasha knows where I am, if he had been too dim-witted to figure it out, I cannot be held accountable for that," Sesshoumaru stated looking after the still playing children.

"He's got a point Miroku, InuYasha could have an idea as to where we are but we have no clue where to start looking for him." Miroku nodded his agreement.

Sesshoumaru looked to the sky and noted the sun's placement, "Rin, Udon," he looked to Kagome.

"Shippo," she whispered.

"Shippo, it is time we left," all three of them popped their heads up simultaneously and began to run towards the other three.

"All present and accounted for," Shippo saluted, Rin giggled and mimicked the action.

Kagome beamed down at them and patted each-- including Udon-- on the head. "Well that's good to know. Shall we get going?" As if to answer, all three gave a giant yawn in unison. Laughing, she took hands and they began their walk back to the house.

~*~

After the kids had eaten and were sent up to bed for a nap Sesshoumaru, Kagome, and Miroku stayed at the table to discuss what was to happen next.

"How long do you suppose it'll take InuYasha and Kouga to figure everything out and come here?" Miroku asked.

"Well, that depends, when did they start?" Kagome replied. Sesshoumaru was no longer seated directly next to her and she missed the warmth of his smile... and his arm. Despite that, she pushed the thought from her head and forged onward.

"About-- sad as it is-- two days before Shippo and I."

Kagome sighed and fought the urge to bang her head on the table, "Well, we could have anywhere up to a three day wait knowing those two." Out of the corner of her eye she watched Sesshoumaru, hoping for even the slightest sign she could read into-- nothing.

"Well then, we should plan for an extended wait," Miroku sighed.

"A bedroom will be made up for you and your companion," Sesshoumaru stated emotionlessly.

Miroku replied, wide-eyed, "Th-thank you, I was not expecting you to be such a hospitable host, if you don't mind my saying," the twitch in Sesshoumaru's eye went unnoticed. "I do not mean to sound ungrateful, but I do have one extra request though." Miroku paused, glancing at Kagome and looking back to Sesshoumaru, "I have to ask that Kagome stay with Shippo and I."

Sesshoumaru nearly scoffed, instead he gave a firm, "No."

"Where has she been bedding the past few nights? She may be lonely, a visit with her /friends/ could be good for her."

"She has been staying with me, she will not be lonely," he said aloud, but his mind countered, 'Well perhaps tonight she will be. I have a strong feeling that silence will reign supreme this night.'

Miroku gasped and turned to Kagome, panic all over his face, "Kagome, tell me the truth, have you been taken advantage of?!"

The straw that broke the camel's back so to speak-- Sesshoumaru had heard enough, and in a split second Miroku was pinned to the wall, Kagomes hands flew to her mouth to stifle her gasp. "She has not been compromised in anyway!" he growled fiercely. "And how dare you suggest such a thing!"

"Stop it!" Kagome yelled, she was ignored.

Miroku convinced Sesshoumaru to loosen his grip on his neck-- convinced only because there was no way that Miroku, as strong as he was, could have overpowered Sesshoumaru. His airway no longer constricted Miroku opened his big mouth, "If she has not been compromised, then why will you not permit her to stay with us? She would be safer--"

This comment won Miroku a fist only centimeters from his face, shattering a section of the wall beside him. "I believe," Sesshoumaru snarled lowly, "that she is safer with me and there will be no changes made."

"Stop it! Both of you!" Kagome yelled angrily. "I beg to di--"

Miroku was cut off by Kagome's final warning, "STOP IT!" Both men looked to her as they found themselves surrounded by floating flames. Sesshoumaru dropped his arms to his sides and composed himself while Miroku supported himself on the wall and brushed bits of wood from his cheek and hair. Almost instantly, the flames retreated and Kagome approached them, and even though Miroku was curious about the flames, the look in Kagome's eyes kept him quiet.

She turned to Miroku, "Thank you so much for your concern, but truth be told, I feel quite safe sleeping in the same room as Sesshoumaru-sama and there is no reason for you to worry, he's much more honorable than you give him credit for." She turned to Sesshoumaru who was slightly stunned and made no effort to hide it-- it simply hid itself. "Thank you for your concern as well." Though it sounded cold, she meant it, she just couldn't find it in herself to make it sound any more kind-- not after the cold shoulder she had been shown earlier. She suspected that he had heard Miroku's comments but there was no way that he could have heard her responses. Or could he have? She nearly winced but chose instead, to walk away.

"I've got a serious headache, I'm gonna take a quick nap," she turned to face the two men. "Do me a favor and avoid killing each other while I'm asleep. Could you do that?"

Miroku gave a valiant bow, "Of course milady, I shall try my best."

"Thanks Miroku. Sesshoumaru-sama, might I ask the same from you?" she asked quietly.

He merely folded his arms and scoffed, "I can guarantee nothing."

Kagome shrugged, "Good enough for me," and she walked off to take a rest from her "overly eventful" day.

Sesshoumaru took this moment to walk away, Miroku had no idea where to, but he did know that it was a relief to not have to deal with the demon lord. He sat back down at the table, rubbing his neck where it had been harshly gripped moments before.

~*~

"It still hurts you jerk!" Kouga whined, sitting on a log, rubbing his head as InuYasha was lost in thought. "Hey! I'm complainin' here! The least you could do is listen, especialy since you were the one who caused all this pain."

"Shut it, wolf boy, I'm thinkin'."

"'Bout what?" Kouga asked, almost genuinely intrigued, partly since he was sure that "thinkin'" rarely happened for the hanyou.

"Kagome, and where in the whole friggin' world she could--" InuYasha's ears perked up and his eyes grew. "I got it."

"Where?" Kouga asked excitedly.

"Well she was taken by my brother, right?"

"Sure, if you say so," Kouga replied. "I don't know if that was his scent, you know that."

"Yeah, yeah, it is. But, where, logically, would he take her?"

"It depends on what he wants to do with her." Kouga shuddered, "I hope we're not too late."

"Well, if you'd think on it," InuYasha stated, not at all fazed by Kouga's comment about being too late, "he would be most likely to take her home!"

"Yeah, I thought that that was what we were trying to find," Kouga said, bordom seeping into his voice.

InuYasha blushed a little, "O-of course it is! I-I just remembered ... ..." he trailed off completely.

"What?"

"I just remembered where that would be located of course," he stated sheepishly. In truth, he had not thought of going to Sesshoumaru's place of residence at all until now.

"You mean you knew where we could have found her this entire time?" Kouga asked, voice dangerously low.

"Hey, back off, I just remembered, 'kay? It's been awhile."

"Been awhile? You mean we could have saved how much time if you had just reached a little further back in the deep, dank, dark recesses of your mind?" his voice was rising in anger.

"Shut it!" InuYasha snapped.

"You don't sound worried at all, dog-breath! Why?! She could be long gone by the time we get there!" Kouga screamed.

"She'll be fine! Stop worrying so much and let's just get going!"

Kouga gave a curt nod, and motioned for InuYasha to lead the way. InuYasha took the lead and they were off, both hoping to find her alive. InuYasha, so that he didn't get killed by his present companions; Kouga, so that he didn't lose his one true love. As they both walked in silence they attempted desperately to push any images of a life without a smiling Kagome out of mind.

~*~

'What am I going to do now?' Kagome lay sprawled in the middle of the room, turning over the events of the day in her head. 'I don't know how I feel about who anymore. InuYasha went looking for me, that must mean he's worried and that he cares! It could very well mean that Kikyou didn't win after all! What if it doesn't though? And all that aside, what am I doing to Sesshoumaru? What do I feel for him anyway? More importantly, does any of it matter when compared to the logical side of things?'

She stared at the ceiling intently for a few moments before groaning and flipping herself over. Belley down, cheek to the floor, staring at the door she continued her thoughts. 'He really is sweet, and after what happened today I know for a fact that he does get hurt, and not only physically! A breakthrough if I do say so myself, although, perhaps I could have done without finding out this way.'

She heaved a heavy sigh and watched a shadow pass under the door, her heart jumped happily as it paused in front of the entry way to the room, 'Could that be him?' As the shadow passed her heart dropped back to it's place before the teasing shadow and the gears in her head went back to work. 'I really wished that it was him,' she thought speculatively. 'Even if he is angry with me, I just want to see him,' this revelation helped and hindered her at the same time.

'None of that changes the circumstances though. He still has no idea about the entire twentieth-century thing and besides that I still have shards that I have to look for. I'd be traveling with InuYasha and, well, how well would all that work out?' she groaned again and turned her head to face the wall. 'But then again, if it's true love it should endure, right? Oh, come on Kagome! We live in the real world here!'

Kagome flopped back over to lay on her back, limbs still spread wantonly across the floor. 'The question now is, can love really withstand adversity?'

She sat up, leggs crossed, 'How do I know that it's love and not just another crush? On his part too.'

Her butt still firmly planted on the ground, legs still crossed, from the waist up Kagome flopped to the side, head resting on her outstretched arm, she found herself looking under the door again. She sighed, 'I've never been in love before! How the heck am I supposed to know? Man, I wish mom were here right now.'

Kagome shot straight up, 'That's right! I was kidnapped in the first place! Why the h**l am I here?!' She pounded a fist to the ground, anger spread across her face, 'He never told me!'

She sighed heavily again and the anger dissipated as she flopped in the same manner before only this time to the other side, still facing the door. 'I forgot that I had been kidnapped, how weird is that? No, that's just plain friggin' wrong. Well, I mean, he really wasn't horrible to me, I mean, he gave me a puppy for Heaven's sake! And he's so cute when he's surprised--'

At that moment the door slid open and Kagome was greeted by a pair of familiar feet. She twisted her head so that she was looking to Sesshoumaru's face, she smiled at the flicker of surprise that dashed over his features for a moment, and almost frowned when it was shoved back under the surface before she had time to revel in it's charm.

"What are you doing?" he asked, no trace of anything in his demeanor or voice to indicate any sort of feeling, if possible he seemed colder than when she had first met him.

"Thinking," she replied simply. "I get a little fidgety when I have something important to think about. Heck, a few more minutes and you might have walked in on me standing on my head."

"Hmm, indeed," was all Kagome received for her comment. Sesshoumaru walked past her and rummaged around in the closet for a bit, coming out, as far as Kagome could tell, empty handed. He came to stand in front of her again, this time she was sitting up normally, "You have been up here for a few hours, your companions are becoming worried."

"Oh, really? I've been up here that long?" Kagome asked, a bit surprised at the information, it had felt as if she were in the room for mere minutes, not hours.

"Yes, the children are requesting that you play with them after dinner also, and since dinner will be served momentarily it may be in your best interest to come join us," Sesshoumaru turned to leave.

"Wait!" Kagome grabbed Sesshoumaru's wrist to keep him from going any further. He looked down at her hand, telling her with his eyes to release him. She did so but didn't back down, "Listen, I'm sorry. I'm not really sure why you're angry but I might have an idea. I just have a lot of things to sort out right now and I've never really been very good at sorting things, so please forgive the way I've been acting."

She looked to his eyes, pleading with hers, Sesshoumaru had to swallow the urge to forgive her immediately and go on with life as it had been moments before the monk and the young kitsune had arrived. He wanted to forgive her so badly, but the hurt that she had inflicted upon him had been immeasurable, even more so than any other drop had in the past. He was not sure what he needed to do so he nodded, after which he paused, still wishing he could forgive, deciding otherwise he walked out of the room, not so fast of course, that she wasn't able to stay within an acceptional distance so he didn't collapse in front of her. One of the very last things he needed, and since she still wasn't aware of it he really didn't need to explain it to her especially since it would probably only make things worse than they were presently.

'Why?' Sesshoumaru asked himself. 'I wanted to, I want so badly to forgive her. Why? Am I truly controlled by my past? Am I limited by what has happened before? This is a disgusting facade and I have no idea how I can break from it.'

'Was that a yes?' Kagome wondered. 'It seemed like he had something else to say, I wonder--'

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" he turned barely able to make eye-contact with her but refusing to let something else hold power over him he fought the urge to look down. Kagome wasn't able to resist the temptation though, the powerful gaze too much for her to handle at the moment, she averted her eyes and replied quietly, "It seemed like you had something else to say is all."

She was giving him a chance to break free from what held him hostage and she wasn't even aware of it. The question was, would he be strong enough to take it?

~*~

SUPER UBER IMPORTANT A/N!!!: The song in this chapter is entitled "Hajimari No Hi" or "Day of the Beginning," This is the second ending theme song to D.N.Angel. These are the translations, the original lyrics (AKA the ones in Japanese) can be found at animelyrics.com along with these translations done by Kawaii Bunny... Weeeeeell, now that /that's/ out of mah system: HEAR ME RAMBLE ABOUT NOTHING AND EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE!!!! ... Okay, so I don't own Basket Case by Green Day either... -_-VVV Allllll done... I hope.

MERELY REGULARLY IMPORTANT A/N!: Nyah! Things are getting a little too intense for me (I'm obviously /not/ a big drama person), all of this makes my head all swirly feelin' and what not @.@ But if you'll bare with me for a while... I dunno what I'm gonna do 'cause things are gonna stay like this for a while but knowing myself (I can't stay serious for more than a few moments)... it'll turn out... I think.

Oh, have a side note ^^:

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! SPRING BREAK!!!!! There actually /is/ life after AP Lit.! I mean AP US History was fine... especially towards the end buu~~ut I had a portfolio due at the end of Lit and the entire administration of the school district was to be there viewing them all (I got a friggin' comment from the super intendant on one of my essays!! He thought it was thought provoking and "wonderfully unique"... that's probably just because the order of the words didn't really make sense so he had to think about which way they were really supposed to go and no other essay was like that -_-V In my experience, "unique" is never a good thing...). Anywho, that's my big excuse for not posting for awhile: 1) large projects due & 2) a whole week w/o internet access... I gonna die!!!!!

Anywho, since I've got a block sched. I had the AP classes for only three quarters... now I've got an entire quarter with nothing but math to think about... and I rarely think in that class anyway! I probably should start though... oh well. All of this equals MUCH LESS homework which in turn equals MUCH LESS pain ^^! Doin' a happy dance-- tra-la-la-la-la!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, my life (<- before spell check my life was a lofe... tee-hee, sounds funny) is so much easier right now, but next year's gonna be a pile o' junk!! But I've got mondo time between then and now so! So until then... helloooooo racquet sports!

Okay, I really don't think many will really read my overly long A/N this time 'cause, well-- it's overly long. I just had to celebrate with everyone! Anywho, that right there (yes, the last paragraph) was my first intentional cliff-hanger... my sister said it sucked... mostly 'cause she wanted to know what happened next -_-V. Here was the reason for the cliff-hanger: I wanted to know what was gonna happen next too ^_^VVV

Anywhosers... I might post the next chapter with this one soooooo in return for two chapters at once... one might... ya know... REVIEW ^_^!!!

Much love to all ya'lls!!! See joo later!!
Converting /tmp/php2K5L3v to /dev/stdout