InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sesshoumaru's Flame ❯ Kagome, the Catalyst ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: OH MY GOOOOOOOAAAAAASHSHSHSHSHSHSH!!!!!!!!!! I just finished watching episode 162 of InuYasha (Sesshoumaru-sama, Together Forever)!!!! KAWAII!!!! Sorry, it's just that Rin and Sesshoumaru-sama... ... ... ... >___________^-^< If you haven't, review and there will be a present for you in the next chapter!! Promise ^_~:

REVIEW THANKS:

MEDIA MINER:

Angel_4_life: Of course I'm gonna finish it ^-^!!! Truth be told, I have thought about abandoning it several times... buuuuut I could never do that to my baby!!! Look how far I've come and how much my writing has changed!! There's no turnin' back now!!!! ^^... And the simple fact that I'm your favorite favorite makes me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me... knowing that I've been given that honor by someone will make me push forward no matter what ::determined look:: THANK YOU for reviewing so often!!! HUGGLES!

parsnip: I'm glad you liked Kagome's thinking moment... I was feelin' a teensy bit fidgety at that particular moment... Serious moments sometimes become too serious and they make me all bored and what not -_-V. Anywho, I'm glad you liked the chapter!!!

Mystic Hanyou: When InuYasha shows up, dear, all Hades is going to break loose!! But you'll find that out soon enough... Hope you like ^^!

curly211: Yay!! My fic's cool!!! Yah, I figured that there had to be an inner Fluffy sooooo ^^, but I'm glad you liked the skirt thing, my friends and I have been pondering that (and the leg warmers... are they really leg warmers or does he just miss really large areas when shaving/waxing????) for ever. Happy you liked the fic and I hope you continue to read and enjoy ^_^!!

katiepatie: We should start a club!!!! Those things are disgusting!!!!!! We could have jackets ^^! ... Anywho, I glad to hear you liked the story, keep reading!!!

FongSaiYuki319: You know what? No matter if I've heard it from anyone before it never gets tiring... I suppose I thirst for praise... don't get much of it anywhere else, 'specially 'bout my writing. Basically, every little comment helps!!! Thank you sooooooo much for each and every one of your wonderful reviews!!!! I'm glad you think that it flows 'cause that was actually one of my main worries! Especially since I write one chapter at a time!! Anywhosers... I'ma gonna write some more of the story now... I really like to respond to these wonderful reviews I get... sometimes too much -_-V. So thank you very much for reviewing!!!

animefreak321654: okay ^_^!! BTW, you have horrid manners... I don't think you even said please! ^_~!!

ETERNAL-ADORATION/SINGLE SPARK:

heather: I promise I'll try my hardest to alert you when I post the next chapter! I'm, so thrilled you liked it^^ ... (A few reviews later...) Oh!! You reviewed again! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! (Rin moment ^_^V). You like my Kouga/InuYasha moments?? Those are the most fun to write!!! OH! But Kagome and Sesshoumaru after Rin in the morning... that was uber fun too!! I'm sooooooo happy that you liked it!! Continue to read and enjoy........... and if at all possible... review!!!! I love hearing from the same people, it tells me that I can keep some people into the story, and not only that but they give some great tips after they've seen me write for a while!! Hope to keep you around!! Thank you sooooooooooooo much for the reviews!!!

Kat: Sorry 'bout the vocab test from the under world... that really sounds sucky -_-VV I know how that goes. I hate to break it to ya though, I only really used my thesaurus in the prologue... the rest was my simple little mind getting the gears to turn a little... I'm glad that you liked it and it also doubled as a study aid ^_^!

angel172292: I'm happy you liked it and I will update asap >^-^<

kai: You shall find out soon enough little one... ::slightly evil grin::

Gem Gamgee: You are so sweet!!! You're all worried about my sleeping habits, thank you, really. I know that the hours I keep are horrid for me but those are the only ones I've known since I was like ten. My parents stopped caring when I go to sleep because I actually go to sleep a bit earlier when I need to, ie: when I have a test the next day or somethin'. Plus, the more I sleep, the less I can consentrate on things, like if I get an entire eight hours of sleep for a week straight... I'm basically screwed -_-V. I do thank you for your concern... no one else I know has even brought that up, it's really just a given that I'm not gonna go to sleep 'til like three AM. Anywho, I'm glad that you liked the fic and I hope you continue to do so, and /I/ will attempt to get some real sleep. Thanks much!!!

END OF THOSE... Over all thank you to all who've ever reviewed for me!! Much love goes out to all ya'll!!!

~*~

Disclaimer: <.<...>.>... shhhhh, I own Sesshoumaru-sama and Rin, don't tell any-- OWWWCH! Okay, so I don't own them... or anyone else from InuYasha... or anything else in this fic that I don't really own T~T... Helpful Tip of the Day: Fear the wrath of Rumiko Takahashi... It burns -_-V


Chapter Ten- Kagome, the Catalyst


Sesshoumaru stood in the hallway, eyes boring into the girl before him, did he dare take the offer? 'This is weakness, wanting to forgive her and giving into it nonetheless!' part of him reasoned.

'Isn't it also a weakness to let the past rule all?' some other part of him countered.

'Yes, but no one is aware of the past here; all, though, are aware of the present. To make one's self weak in the present is to play the fool.'

'That may be true but /you/ know about the past, letting it win would gnaw at you for the rest of your days.'

'I will not take any mocking from those I know are lower than I!'

'That is correct, you should not allow mocking, no, none at all.'

'This will be the cause of mockery and--'

'That matters not, there has never before been any lenience for those who mock, why now? In fact, there have been very few who have been stupid enough to do so. Besides, if there is forgiveness, there will always be comfort...'

'I need no comfort! Especially not from a mere human girl!'

'The truth is known, there is no fighting it, choose...' and just like that, the inner battle was over.

Sesshoumaru stood before Kagome, still a bit confused as to what action he was to take. He closed his eyes and drew in a deep soothing breath and, "There will be plenty of time for us to speak of such matters later." He turned on his heel and continued towards the dinning hall (is it a hall or... I dunno!!! Sounds good to me!), and, after a brief pause, Kagome-- quietly brooding-- followed.

~*~

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" Rin continued to bounce up and down with her chopsticks pointed upwards in the air. "Could we go to that little meadow after supper?" Sesshoumaru nodded and Rin celebrated with a loud "YAY!" and proceeded to describe her most favorite spots in the tiny meadow to Shippo.

Although the children were anything but silent, nothing of the like could be said for the adults. Sesshoumaru, Kagome, and Miroku sat, nary a peep coming from anyone. Miroku and Kagome played with their food while Sesshoumaru merely sat and seemingly stared off into space.

Rin and Shippo laughed at the adults without them really knowing about it. This was truly odd since they weren't speaking in code, weren't attempting to hide any laughter, and all in all they were doing nothing to keep the subject of their conversation from anyone.

"They all look kinda fidgety," Shippo commented.

"Kagome-chan and Miroku-sama do, but not Sesshoumaru-sama, Sesshoumaru-sama looks sad," Rin pouted. "Rin wishes that Sesshoumaru-sama could look figgy instead of sad."

"Fidgety."

"Neh?" Rin cast her gaze to the young fox demon beside her.

"You said it wrong, it's fidgety not figgy," Shippo corrected.

"That wasn't the point Rin was trying to make!" she cried.

"I know but you gotta pronounce it right if you're gonna make a point!"

"Shippo-chan got Rin's point, so why does it matter?" Rin was becoming angered.

"It matters because no one can ever take you seriously if you don't pronounce things right, plus you gotta stop talking about people and yourself like they're not there! It doesn't make sense!!"

Rin drew in a quivering breath, 'Rin's gonna ream 'im!' she thought. Her little fists balled at her side and--

"You guys ready?" Kagome was standing, obviously tired of the expected lull in the conversation on the other side of the table. Both Shippo and Rin nodded vigorously, their argument already forgotten, as they hopped up and ran over to the door. Both Miroku and Sesshoumaru rose also, but they did so sluggishly, literally shuffling towards Kagome and the kids. Sesshoumaru seemed to be in deep thought still and Miroku was busy with his own pondering.

Kagome shook her head and sighed as she proceeded to the door. After everyone was equipped with shoes they began their walk, Shippo, Rin, and Udon leading the group, Kagome, Sesshoumaru, and Miroku bringing up the rear.

"Rin'll race Shippo-chan there!!" Rin shouted as she took off towards the meadow.

"No fair!! I don't know where I'm going!" Shippo yelled back as he went after her.

Kagome giggled a little as Udon barked in frustration at being left behind and ran to catch up to the two. Walking into the forest, the sun was blocked from them, tiny rays of revealing sunlight fighting their way through the trees the only exceptions, they became silent. The forest seemed a very uncomfortable place to be on this particular outing. Shippo, Rin, and Udon seemed to notice it too, they slowed down to a crawl to allow the adults to catch up to them without letting them know that there was fear in their procrastination. Sesshoumaru looked about warily aware of everything going on in the forest and yet detecting nothing that should prove to be dangerous, except, of course, the unearthly silence that had taken over.

"Perhaps we should go back," Kagome offered quietly.

Sesshoumaru held a hand up to silence everyone. There was nothing, nothing at all. "We should continue on, but carefully. It would take longer to go back anyway, we are over half way there."

So they continued on.

Udon stayed close to Rin and Kagome who were closest to Sesshoumaru, Shippo stayed close to Udon and Miroku. They were silent as told until the sunlight burst through the trees signaling their arrival at the meadow. The children broke ranks and ran towards the warm and inviting sun, eager to abandon the ominous forest. The other three were no better as the length and speed of their strides increased greatly, each knew better than to comment on it.

Once out of the forest Kagome took her regular spot on the boulder and took to watching the romping and frolicking youth. Miroku settled for the flat ground next to the boulder, unknowingly he chose the side opposite to the one Sesshoumaru normally claimed as his resting place-- perhaps out of instinct. Sesshoumaru, on the other hand, stood at the border of the forest, trying desperately to figure out the reason for such a foreboding energy.

"Staring at it will not fix the problem," stated Miroku, not looking at Sesshoumaru rather, he was observing Rin, Shippo, and Udon play tag, Udon being the one who had been dubbed "it."

Sesshoumaru whirled around and glared at the back of Miroku's head. Growling, he stalked to the little knoll by Kagome, as he passed the monk, though, his foot extended a bit further than normal and knocked the monk's knee with exceptional force causing his other knee to shoot into the boulder and a hiss of pain to emit from him. Feeling a little better, Sesshoumaru gracefully sat in the downy grass, relaxing a bit.

With his eyes closed he had a little time to think, mostly about the scent that was coming from a ways off, but coming nonetheless. The half-breed and wolf demon, they were getting closer and hopefully they wouldn't be inept enough to lose the scent that they had picked up. He could hear their bickering from miles away and the fact that InuYasha was telling the wolf to go in the opposite direction did not bode well for the pair.

Sesshoumaru begrudgingly rose from his spot and began to walk towards the wayward duo. Kagome looked at him and asked softly, still aware that they had not spoken yet, "Where you goin'?"

He motioned with his gaze towards the trees as he answered, "There are two idiots out there who cannot seem to find their way."

"Really?" Miroku perked up at the thought of InuYasha coming to save the day. "How far away?"

"Much too far for you to travel in a single day," Sesshoumaru replied snidely (Nyaha! Snidely Whiplash!!! Dudley Doright!!!). Miroku harrumphed and turned back to the children. "I shall go fetch the dynamic duo," he was off before anyone could say anything...

"Argh!!" Sesshoumaru went down just inside the forest boundaries, forgetting about Kagome and his never-ending curse, well it wasn't really a curse it was more of an inconvenience. He shook his head, 'Now, of all times, I forget about it!' he mentally cursed.

He snapped into an upright position as Kagome and Miroku came to investigate the sounds they had heard. Kagome looked confused, "I thought you'd be gone by now."

Sesshoumaru didn't turn to look at her, instead he continued to stare into the forest as he replied, "They seemed to have switched directions," he stated, not wanting to seem as though he stopped for any other reason.

"Oh, really? Are they headed in the right direction now?" Miroku asked mockingly, leaning up against a tree the smirk on his face only proved to be one more attempt on Sesshoumaru's pride. Kagome looked at the cocky houshi, wondering at the tone of his voice.

Sesshoumaru turned to glare at the monk, it was a knack of his, he could seem taller than he actually was and all of the sudden become even more intimidating than normal. "Indeed they have, monk. Why don't you head east and meet them half way?"

Miroku stood up right and continued to smirk at the taiyoukai, "Hmm, I think I will, especially if it will help them arrive more speedily."

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes and his mind grumbled on about the cocky monk who would have gotten slaughtered on the spot if Kagome had not been standing right beside them looking so utterly confused by their exchange. She watched as Miroku disappeared into the rough, walking right passed her, and then watched Sesshoumaru brusquely make his way passed her to the place where he normally sat. Heaving a heavy sigh, Kagome gave up on the males and went to sit beside Sesshoumaru.

As she plopped down-- legs crossed-- onto the boulder, she asked, "What is it that you wanted to talk about earlier?"

Sesshoumaru stopped breathing for a moment, he had almost forgotten all about his promise to discuss apologies later. Inhaling again he said, "There is nothing to be said."

Kagome looked at him, an eye brow cocked to show her disbelief of the statement, "Really now?" He gave a small, curt nod as she turned her eyes back towards the meadow, "Well what would you say if I told you that I don't believe you at all, not one little bit?"

"You may believe what you wish," he stated through clenched teeth, really cursing the fact that she was so close to the truth.

"Lie!" she giggled. "I think you do have something to tell me but you think that I'll make fun of you or something!" it was Sesshoumaru's turn to cock a brow Kagome's way. "I'll take that as a 'Why Kagome, how perceptive and correct of you!'" he sighed inwardly and turned back to the children. "In that case-- I'm offended. I may be a little sarcastic at times but I'm not cruel!" No answer came from the demon next to her, "Ya know what, it's really startin' to sound like I'm havin' a little conversation all by my lonesome over here. You could at least tell me what you were gonna say."

After Sesshoumaru had gone back to not speaking with her-- or worse yet, speaking with her as though they had not had those few precious days together-- she was expecting anything but what happened next. Sesshoumaru-- still looking to Shippo, Rin, and Udon-- opened his mouth and-- "I would like for us to be able to act as we had before the monk and the young kitsune arrived."

Needless to say, Kagome was stunned, shocked really, so much so that she had forgotten all about balancing herself on the boulder. This of course caused the expected action-- she fell right off the boulder onto the other side, lacking even enough brain power to try to stop herself from falling completely off. As she hoisted herself back up, she looked to Sesshoumaru in shock, 'Was NOT expecting /that/ at all!' she thought as she placed her rump back in it's spot. Her mind was doing a tiny happy dance as she stared off into space-- totally forgetting to reply to Sesshoumaru's request.

As she just looked off into the distance Sesshoumaru remained calm and collected on the outside, yet on the inside he was a bit anxious, wondering why she had yet to answer him. He was wondering if she had merely spaced off again or if she was in deep thought-- with her, he was never quite sure. He decided it was best to clear his throat, this snapped Kagome from her little space-out session and she fell off the boulder again, only this time she landed in Sesshoumaru's lap.

With her legs still half way on the boulder, an hand on the ground, and the other hand steadying herself on his shoulder, she huffed, "Stupid boulder." Resituating herself so that she was comfortable in his lap, Kagome leaned her head back onto his tail-- the armor keeping her from leaning into his chest. "Sorry," she began, "did I space again?" Not waiting for a reply she continued, "It was just a little surprising to hear you speak your needs so openly, especially after that entire--" she paused a second to think. "What was that anyway? Could you call it a fight?" she shook her head. "It doesn't matter now, I suppose I'll apologize for my spaciness today and for the little fall. It's just that as soon as I heard that I was sure that the apocalypse was neigh!" she chuckled to herself. "I think I already said something along those lines, I just want you to understand that," she kissed his cheek, "I would really like that too."

Sesshoumaru could feel the Three Stooges approaching at breakneck speeds but he couldn't help himself-- nor could he have cared less-- as he leaned down for one more kiss from Kagome's sweet lips as she laughed happily.

"Let Kagome go you bastard!" InuYasha appeared behind the couple, sword drawn and ready for battle.

"Let go of my woh-man!" Kouga growled, already in an offensive stance, awaiting the fight that was sure to come.

Miroku, on the other hand, stood off to the side, sighing to himself. They really were clueless, weren't they?

Kagome stood from her spot and Sesshoumaru went back to looking after the children. Kagome went to face the two with a large smile on her face and a gleeful heart. Her friends had arrived and all was right with Sesshoumaru-- the world was back on kilter. "Hey guys, you know, you can put those down. I'm really not being held here against my will anymore," her brows furrowed for a moment as she turned back to Sesshoumaru, "I'm not, right?" Sesshoumaru gave no answer and she turned back to her friends, "Well, I don't think I am anyway, and I really don't think I wanna leave so--"

"D**n it Kagome! You fell for a few pretty words again, didn't you?" InuYasha cursed as he sheathed Tetsuaiga.

Kagome's brows drew together in anger and her hands flew to her hips, "Whaddaya mean by that?"

"I mean, you did the same thing when wolf boy here said a few nice things to ya!"

Before Kagome had a chance to respond Kouga had his arms around her waist and was claiming that "She fell for me because she's my woh-man, dog breath! You better get used to it!"

As Kagome attempted to pry herself from the strong grasp a low growl could be heard from behind them. "Whatsa matter with you?! You think you got a claim on 'er, dog with-- er-uh, worse breath than his-- uh- brother!" Kouga stammered a bit but was overall very proud of his come back.

Kagome was still struggling with the vice-like grip that surrounded her as Sesshoumaru rose and approached Kouga. Kouga let Kagome go-- not expecting the sudden freedom she fell to her butt, yet again. "What? Do you really think you gotta claim to her?! I don't see any marks and I defiantly don't smell you on her! She's still mine!!!! OWWW!" Kouga rubbed his arm as he was socked by InuYasha who was glaring daggers at him.

"Funny thing you idiot! I don't smell your stink on her either!"

"Yah, well that's just 'cause she's too pure to offer herself to me so quickly!"

"BS! She just doesn't want your sorry a**! I mean who would?" InuYasha was defending his pride, Kouga was defending what he thought was his, and Sesshoumaru was trying not to kill them both on the spot, so Kagome slipped away easily. She was already playing with the kids when they noticed.

"Hey!! Why'd my woh-man abandon me?" Kouga wailed.

InuYasha knocked him on the head, "That's 'cause she ain't your woman! And d**n it! Say it right!! It ain't 'woh-man!!!' Friggin' idjit."

Sesshoumaru grabbed InuYasha by the collar and Kouga by the armor, pulling them both in so that he could speak under his breath and hold their attention-- especially since it seemed that they had the attention span of gnats (Go Dori!!! Find Ne-- OOOO! Wassat?? Who's Nemo? Ahhh, look a butter-- Hey! Isn't that a-- Ahh! That's sooo co-- Neh? Where am I?)

He was about to threaten their very being-- mostly for attempting to claim the one woman that he actually, truly wished he could find it in himself to ask for permission to claim for himself-- but before he was able to do anything about it he sensed something coming. Dropping the two to their rears, Sesshoumaru whipped around and attempted to reach Kagome and the kids in time. He began to make his way to Kagome and the younger group but Kagome had evidently felt danger coming. Instinct took over as a barrier flew up around Kagome and the three youth, it was a fiery half-sphere, and as youkai began to fly out of the trees they initiated an attack on the barrier. Very few actually got through to touch the barrier since they were shot down by pillars of fire, emmited from the protective shield. The select number that were able to get through-- well, it is best said that a bug zapper is to mosquitoes would be as Kagome is to these particular youkai (All ya'lls have done the stupid analogy thing! I know you have!!).

As the bird-like creatures fell from the sky right and left InuYasha, Kouga, and Miroku were left speechless, mouths agape, and absolutely still. Sesshoumaru, who was already three quarters of the way there, was forced to back away a bit, the heat from Kagome's barrier too hot for comfort, even from a distance. He was forced to watch everything that he held dear engulfed in a firey bubble, never knowing if they would come out alright. Needing something to do, Sesshoumaru set about killing off many of the creatures, and eventually the seemingly endless supply ran dry.

When the youkai stopped coming the barrier went down, confused children looking down at a very unconscious Kagome. Shippo and Rin nudged her a bit, basically poking her, trying to revive her, Udon resorted to picking up a near by stick and jabbing her arm (Ooooo! Is it dead?? Let's pooooke it with sticks!!!!). Upon getting no reaction Udon dropped the stick and went to licking her face. He was quickly torn away from his task as Sesshoumaru took Kagome's head into his lap, his heart jumped as her eyes fluttered open a bit.

She gave a tiny smile to Sesshoumaru until she heard Kouga and InuYasha's voices and she looked their way. In her presently unstable state she saw about four of each and in her mind she panicked, though when she voiced her concerns it sounded more like she was delusional. "No! One of each is more than enough! Please! No more!!"

Sesshoumaru was panic stricken, although he didn't show it. He caressed her cheek and went to stroking her hair whispering things like, "Shhh, you will be fine," and "I'll not let anything happen to you."

Ignoring the over population of InuYasha and Kouga, Kagome smiled up to Sesshoumaru-- seeing four of the demon lord was not half as bad as seeing four of the others-- and said weakly, "I know." In seconds she was out like a light, sleep overtaking her body, though it looked as though she had become unconscious to the others. In reality she was exhausted, never before using so much power in so little time. All she needed was rest.

After such an exit from Kagome, Sesshoumaru pulled her bridal style into his arms and walked to the house. The forest was filled with happy little birds and tiny animals (AHHHH! It's Snow White all over again!!!!), he realized that the silence in the forest was because of the youkai that had attacked them. He cursed himself for not being more careful, for not going back when they should have, for not being able to stop the attack before it had a chance to happen, for not preventing the unpreventable.

Sesshoumaru was snapped from his brooding state by a tiny hand that reached out to tug on one of his sleeves, he looked down to Rin, her eyes filled with worry. "Sesshoumaru-sama?" she voiced almost silently. "Will Kagome-chan be okay?" A nod answered her question without his permission, it was almost as though he had gone to auto-pilot. His mind was blank, he really wasn't even thinking about where he was going, in truth, his feet were taking him home.

~*~

"No way you're goin' up there alone with Kagome!" InuYasha screamed. Sesshoumaru ignored this and continued walking towards his room with Kagome nestled securely in his arms. "I said you ain't goin' up there!" InuYasha persisted, blocking Sesshoumaru's path. Sesshoumaru sidestepped him and went on his way.

"Rin, Udon, Shippo, follow me please," Sesshoumaru said without turning, he could hear when they silently obeyed him and was satisfied with that. Although he did stop when he heard three more pairs of not so nimble foot steps added onto those that he had invited. "I do not recall telling the three of you to follow as well."

"Yeah, well I /do/ recall me tellin' you that there was no way in Hell that you were gonna go up there with Kagome alone!" InuYasha shook his fist behind Sesshoumaru's back.

"Sesshoumaru-sama's not gonna be alone!" Rin chirped. "Please don't worry! Sesshoumaru-sama would never do anything to Kagome-chan!"

InuYasha gave a loud "Humph" and folded his arms across his chest, "I'm not worryin', I was just sayin' is all..."

"What were you saying InuYasha," Miroku suddenly appeared behind the stubborn hanyou. "What exactly were you saying that made you not worry about Kagome-sama?"

Sesshoumaru decided to take his leave as a fight broke out between InuYasha, Miroku, and even Kouga. The tiny footfalls behind him ensured the presence of the younger occupants of the house. When they finally reached the door Sesshoumaru slid it open with one hand and left it open as he readied the futon for Kagome. The three who had shadowed him there stood motionless, allowing him to do as he needed-- and even with Kagome in his arms he seemed to do all of this with ease.

After hurrying about for a few moments Sesshoumaru laid Kagome down gingerly upon the tiny mat and covered her with just as much care, even going as far as to brush a strand of hair from her face and tuck it behind her ear. A small sigh came from behind him and he turned to see Rin smiling at him and the gesture he had made in front of the tiny trio.

Clearing his throat, Sesshoumaru, on his knees, moved to face them and motioned for them to approach. They did so slowly, as not to break the thick silence that hung heavy in the air. Sesshoumaru took one of Rin's arms and began to check for wounds, he did a thorough once over taking in any small scrapes or anything that could threaten to become a bruise into consideration. After he was through with Rin, he turned to Udon and Shippo and did the same thing for them, making sure that everything still worked properly and was not in any danger of turning into something even more harmful. Taking one last look at them, Sesshoumaru nodded in approval and turned back to Kagome with one last pat on Rin's head.

Shippo and Udon turned to leave, understanding the silent dismissal they had just received. Rin understood, she simply understood more than was being told to her as she threw her arms around Sesshoumaru and whispered a soothing, "Everything will be fine, Sesshoumaru-sama, just wait and see. Kagome-chan knows how much Sesshoumaru-sama, Rin-chan, and everyone else needs her, Kagome-chan would never leave on purpose!" A peck on the cheek was her departing gesture as Rin whirled around to follow her friends.

Sesshoumaru sat beside Kagome looking into her lovely face, and as he did, the words that Rin had given him rolled over in his head. It was true, Kagome had become an intricate part of their lives in a very short amount of time. It was amazing how well she had wedged her way into their lives and now that she had, it seemed an impossible task to live them without her. He needed her.

He supposed that he knew before, it just wasn't something that he would have spoken out loud-- now though...

As she lay there he found himself thanking whoever was in charge that she was still breathing, and continued to hope beyond all hope that she would just pull through. Of course, there was really no need to worry in the first place-- but why tell him that?

~*~

"D**n it! What the h**l is he doing up there?!" InuYasha had taken to pacing the extent of the front meeting room.

"Well," Miroku answered seated on the ground quite comfortably. "Shippo said that it looked as though he were treating her wounds, and Shippo is as protective of Kagome as they come."

"That little runt wouldn't know the meaning of protective," Kouga cut in.

"Oh, and I suppose your definition would be something along the lines of leaving her in the hands of someone else and running from the first sign of danger?!" InuYasha was in the mood to fight, and since the opportunity had presented itself-- why in the world not?

"Hey! That was a mistake and I came back to save your scrawny butt!"

"Ah-ha! So you admit that it happened!" InuYasha pointed an accusing finger in Kouga's face.

Kouga jumped up from his place and was immediately in InuYasha's face, growling nonetheless.

"Cut it out you two!" they both turned to find Kagome standing in the door way looking at them admonishingly. "Is there even a remote possibility that you guys could go five minutes without fighting?"

"K-Kagome?" InuYasha was stunned to see her looking so very healthy-- Sesshoumaru could really fix 'em up (Oh no, his stuttering problem has gone to Kagome's name now too -_-V).

"There's somethin' fishy 'bout 'er," Kouga whispered.

"And what would that be?" she asked. Both InuYasha and Kouga's jaws dropped at the mere fact that she had heard Kouga's comment, it was barely even a whisper. InuYasha's brows furrowed as he rolled up his sleeve and stomped over to Kagome.

"I-I don't like that tone InuYasha," Kagome sputtered while backing up a bit.

"So sit me," he said threateningly.

"Wh-what?!" she squeaked. "Y-you don't really mean that."

"Do it," his voice was low and dangerous.

Kagome squeezed her eyes shut and muttered something under her breath before uttering what she had been so rudely asked to. "S-s-sit," it came out even lower than Kouga's whisper, yet it was the command nonetheless. And as expected-- nothing happened. Well, InuYasha was expecting it anyway.

"SHIPPO! YOU DIE NOW!!" InuYasha lunged for the tiny poof of smoke, but he was too late. Shippo was half way out the door before InuYasha was able to catch up to him, Kouga's head spun in five different directions before he decided to give chase also.

"I was just trying to get you two to stop fighting, you ungrateful reject!" Shippo wailed as he avoided the enraged hanyou.

"Houshi-sama, dinner is ready," a young maid bowed low to Miroku.

A familiar glint in his eyes could be seen as he thanked her and followed her into the dining room, not even bothering to inform the rest that dinner had been served-- especially since Rin and Udon were already seated, smiling at the approaching monk and the giggling servant girl.

~*~

"D**n it Kagome, wake up!" Sesshoumaru hissed under his breath. After two days straight of no sleep, no food at all, and intense worry he was looking a little under the weather. It was absolutely nothing that he couldn't handle though, he could go without sleep and food, it was the worry that was doing him in. He hadn't even been able to get her to swallow water, she hadn't moved at all, and she was barely breathing (Dang, she sleeps like my sister -_-V). It was nothing that he couldn't handle though.

He was feeling hopless, he could do nothing until he got her to drink even a drop of water. So he tried again. Lifting her head he touched the bowl/cup (Dunno what ta call it... nyarg... yah know, those flat lookin' ones) to her mouth and let the water trickle down onto her parted, parched lips-- nothing.

"Kagome, why don't you drink?" Sesshoumaru sighed. "Please, just this once," he pleaded. "For me," was desperately added. Like magic, her lips parted on their own accord, Sesshoumaru carefully repeated his previous actions by tipping the cup to her lips, all the while humming the song that she had sung to Rin and himself, and miraculously-- she swallowed. Her eyebrows furrowed and she began to lean into the cup, the water was gone in one giant gulp. Sesshoumaru rushed to refill it and brought it back to her waiting mouth, she drained three more cup-fulls before she finally drifted off again.

He set her head back down on the mat and silently celebrated the tiny victory. For the first time in-- he looked out the window, the sun was rising over the mountains-- three days he was able to think without the worry of dehydration hanging over his head. He sniffed about, something /really/, /really/ stunk-- it was Kagome. She had been in bed for three days and had barely moved, it was time for her to bathe. That was gonna be a problem, she couldn't very well bathe herself, he refused to let anyone help-- he still blamed himself for her injuries-- so that of course left one person...

~*~

Pulling Kagome up into his lap, Sesshoumaru tenitively put the cloth to the base of her neck and began to wipe her down. He was hoping that the feel of the water on her skin would wake her up; then again, he was also hoping that she wouldn't wake, this would, indeed be an odd position to wake to. He went to the back of her neck, venturing a bit below her collar. He pulled back promptly when he felt he had gone far enough. He breathed a sigh of relief as he continued with her face and her arms.

Upon finishing every limb on her body he realized that he had nowhere left to wash that would be app-- "Her hair!" he exclaimed. Happily he grabbed the bowl of water that he had had brought up and went about rinsing her hair as best as he could. As soon as that was finished, he decided to leave well enough alone, even though the smell still remained. What he was too tired to realize was that it wasn't Kagome who he was smelling-- it was himself (0.0 Never! Sesshoumaru-sama could go years without bathing and still smell better than a thousand roses!!!!! ^^!!!). He had gone several days without necessities, that included a bathing. He really had all of this under control, no, really, of course he did...

~*~

"Quack diddly-oso quack, quack, quack (Dunno the words, sorry)" InuYasha and Kouga had two hands clasped and were going back and forth with them hitting the hands guarding the sides.

"Ha! You lose!" Kouga yelled.

"Nuh-uh! I totally dodged that one!!!" InuYasha countered.

"No way, dog-breath! You totally lost!"

"It doesn't matter," InuYasha pouted. "I don't wanna play anymore anyways!!"

"Fine then, what are we gonna do?" Kouga asked, rolling onto his stomach and supporting his head with his hands, legs waving to and fro, much like a teenage girl at a slumber party (Not any that I know, but ya know...) listening to the latest gossip about who Brady was going out with now.

"I know!" InuYasha exclaimed. "I see something black, purple, green, blue, and yellow. Guess."

"The pile that has the monk's clothes and the maid's clothes all mixed together," Kouga said in monotone-- mostly without thinking.

InuYasha furrowed his brows, "You cheated!"

"How the h**l could I have cheated?" Kouga yelled. "You think I read your mind or somethin'? Well guess what, puppy! Ya can't read a blank page!"

"Shut your trap and go," InuYasha yelled back.

"'Kay, uhhhh--"

"Hurry it up, loser!"

"Yah, yah! I see somethin' brown and black," Kouga said, bored once again.

InuYasha crossed his arms, a cocky smirk plastered on his face, "Keh, you make this too easy, flea bag."

"What then?" Kouga asked, still bored.

"The table!"

"Nope."

InuYasha's smirk faded, "The screen?"

"No."

"The kid!" he pointed to a child running by.

"Hi Kouga-chan, InuYasha-chan!!" Rin called as she sprinted passed.

"Nuh-uh."

InuYasha turned red, "The pillar!"

Kouga shook his head.

"That vase!"

"Nope."

~*~

Sesshoumaru clasped Kagome's hand in his. There wasn't much he could do for her now, she wouldn't take anymore water, food was impossible and slightly dangerous to offer her. The only thing he could do was wait, even with his patience wearing very, very thin. He rested his forehead on their hands and closed his eyes, "Please heal quickly my love."

~*~

"That statue!"

"No."

"That rug!"

"No."

"Your sword!"

"No, listen InuYasha, if I just tell you what it is could we do somethin' else? I'm really bored."

"NO!!! I can figure this out as well as any stupid wolf!"

"There's only one thing in this room that you haven't guessed, just say it."

"That bunch of flowers!" InuYasha pointed proudly to the bouquet.

"I said brown and black, those are purple. I guess there were two things in the room that you hadn't guessed."

InuYasha wilted, "Fine then, what is it."

"The vase right next to the one that you guessed five times," Kouga said, happy that InuYasha finally admitted defeat. He turned his head and added, with all the maturity of a third grader, "Ha ha, you lost."

"I'm gonna kill you!"

~*~

The fourth day had finally dawned and Kagome's eyes fluttered open. She found that her hand was being held captive in the most adorable of ways. Sesshoumaru had her hand in both of his and they were propping up his sleepy head. What made her frown were the tear streaks down his cheeks, they weren't visible for long as Sesshoumaru woke.

"K-Kagome?" (Must run in the family-_-V)

She smiled and nodded, "Yeah, how are you, you kinda look a little worse for the wear. No offense or anything."

He smiled down at her, "None taken." He leaned down to embrace her, his heart overflowing with a nearly inexpressible joy, she happily accepted this gesture and returned the hug with zeal. Her head in the crook of his neck she smiled contentedly-- that is, until she caught a whiff of something foul.

"Er-uh, sweety?" he pulled back to look her in the eye. "I think ya need a bath or somethin', 'cause-- once again, no offense-- but, you reek." He laughed, pulling her back into the embrace, shaking his head.

TBC...

~*~

A/N: No worries, I'm not gonna leave it off here... I've still got plans!!!!!! Bwahahahahah... <.<...>.>... Mwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, a scary thought, but true!!

'Kay, I'm gonna tell the truth... I had a really, really, REALLY hard time writing this chapter, I, in truth, don't think I've ever been closer to completely abandoning this thing and throwing away all evidence of it. BUT, I didn't. Firstly, I've worked much too friggin' hard to give up now. Second, I'm really scared of rabid fangirls... 'specially the ones that know where I live. And last and most importantly, I didn't stop because all of you have been waiting soooo patiently for the ending and have been sweet enough to review no matter how sucky the chapter was or how long it took! I love you guys soooooo much ;_;<-tears of joy!!!! So, I thank you all! Anyone who has ever even read this lil' thang... okay, so it's not so little anymore, but that's okay!! It's grown and that's a good thing!!!!!

All in all, I think I've got one more chapter and an epilogue coming. I look forward to writing those... all the hard junk is outta the way... I think -_-VVV. Sometimes I end up adding more and more junk... remember when I thought I'd have like two more chapters to write... yeah, that was like five chapters ago, or so it feels. Anywho! Much love to all of ya punks!!! See ya in the next chaptah!!!!!!!

OH!! DON'T FORGET TO REVIEW!!!! Which reminds me, I got LOADS of reviews for the last chapter!!!! Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much you guys!! I couldn't write this thing withoutchya!!!!!!
Converting /tmp/phpTsqtfi to /dev/stdout