InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Asleep ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

"She's Asleep" by Jezunya

I was reading the end of Book 8, and I started wondering what Inuyasha did while Kagome was asleep. I mean, did he just sit there until she woke up? Here's what I thought might have happened…

** ** ** ** **

Inuyasha glared up at the sky. Asleep. She was asleep. He couldn't believe she'd fallen asleep on him. He twitched, and looked over his shoulder again. She really had fallen asleep on him. Or against his back, anyway.

His face softened as he watched the girl sleep, her face relaxed, the peaceful feeling seeping through to him. Maybe it wasn't so bad that she hadn't heard. He had no idea what made him suddenly want to bear his soul to her; it just didn't make sense. He never talked that way. Not to anyone. Not even with Kikyou, even when she'd been alive.

He sighed and turned away to look back up at the sky, a scowl creasing his brow. Kikyou. She was still wandering about in her surrogate body of bones and earth that Urasue had created for her. And she had managed to cause trouble for them. Kagome had been so upset afterwards…

I don't get it, he thought, resting his chin in his palm, unconsciously shrugging his shoulders to shift the weight on his back. Why did she get so worked up about all this?

Kagome's earlier words suddenly came back to him. "What… am I to you..?"

He glared at the blue sky. What was that supposed to mean? She was his Shard detector. That was her job, why she was here. Why he kept her around… and protected her…. And took care of her….. The dog-demon glanced over his shoulder again, suddenly unsure about the role this strange girl played in his life. Kagome shifted in her sleep, turning her head as a small smile graced her lips.

Inuyasha felt a similar smile placing itself on his face. He blinked, the smile disappearing. What's happening to me? he wondered, continuing to watch her. Somehow this girl - this vulnerable, defenseless, human girl - was changing him. Without really thinking, he turned around fully, catching her in his arms and pulling her into his lap. Kagome unconsciously snuggled into his chest, one small hand grasping the front of his hoari. He stared down at her in wonder. What is happening to me? he thought again.

He looked around cautiously. On the other side of the hill, Shippou and Miroku were still enjoying their roasted meal, not paying any attention to him. Just as well, he thought as he climbed to his feet, Kagome's small form still cradled in his arms. He marched purposefully over to her pack and laid out her sleeping bag. With one hand he unzipped the strange bedding, while the other held the contently sleeping girl against him. He gently laid her in it, pulling the top flap up under her chin so that she wouldn't catch a chill from the cool morning air.

I don't know how or why, he thought, brushing a stray hair from her face. But somehow… you've changed me. Somehow this strange girl was slowly worming her way into his heart, slowly winning his affections. His life was becoming more and more oriented around her by the day, and he hadn't even realized it 'til now. He let his hand linger on her cheek just an instant longer than was necessary before pulling away and leaving her to her dreams.

** ** ** ** **

*happy sigh* I was really pleased with the way this came out. And yes, it is but a one-shot. If you want a sequel… read IY Book 9. ;P

Please review!! ^-^