InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ Back to the Past ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: InuYasha still isn't mine…
 
AN: Thanks again to those of you who took the time to leave a review after reading. I do appreciate it.
 
On with the story…
 
Chapter 5: Back to the Past
 
InuYasha was perched on his favorite branch in the Sacred Tree, once again clad in his familiar red attire. Mama had taken Kagome to the doctor so he was thinking about the events of the last couple of days as he waited.
 
They had been awakened that morning by Mama Higurashi knocking on the door and sticking her head in to find the now hanyou InuYasha once again spooned with Kagome. It was fortunate that Kagome had the foresight the night before for them to get up and put their pajamas on, and unlock the door. Even though his arms were wrapped around Kagome with his nose nestled at her neck, at least they were both fully clothed. However, Mama may have been a bit suspicious at the other clothes tossed around the room. They hadn't thought to pick those up in the middle of the night - hiding the evidence, so to speak. But, if she had any thoughts on the matter, Mama kept them to herself. She had also been thoughtful enough to wait and wake them after Souta had gone to school, and Gramps to his duties out in the shrine. InuYasha was glad to have a quiet and peaceful breakfast with just Kagome.
 
When InuYasha did wake up that morning, he once again felt like he was basked in that warm glow from the other evening. He was also thinking it was unusual that he had apparently slept through his transformation when the sun came up - he couldn't remember that ever happening before. On the other hand, he couldn't remember when was the last time he had a good night's sleep in human form - usually he stayed awake all night even after he had accumulated his mismatched entourage that watched over him on those moonless nights.
 
Once again, InuYasha was feeling that surge of power that he felt up until he had turned mortal last evening, along with a calmness he couldn't put a finger on. Something was going on, but he had no idea what. It seemed to be a good thing, though. If he was more powerful, then he could better protect Kagome. If he was calmer, then maybe he could keep his head and not lose his temper so much, which often ended up in him calling Kagome bitch or wench and making her either cry or sit him. It was also a benefit to be calmer in battle - it was easier to keep your head if the blood didn't rush to it. InuYasha knew that was one of the reasons his brother was so dangerous - he never lost his head in a fight.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome woke feeling all warm and fuzzy, with that surge of energy she had felt the other morning. She found herself wrapped in her hanyou's arms, claws once again intact, with him breathing softly on the back of her neck. When she heard her mother knock on the door, she thanked Kami that she had not been completely lost in her passion the night before and had made them both get up to get dressed. She had unlocked the door before climbing back into bed. Kagome had been completely lost in some very pleasant dreams as she went to sleep snuggled with her back to InuYasha, his arms wrapped around her. However, she didn't miss her mother's quick glance around the room when she looked in - their clothes were still lying where they had tossed them when they came off. She also saw her mother's grin when her eyes landed on the large stuffed chow sitting at the foot of the bed - with InuYasha's black shirt he had been wearing last night thrown haphazardly over its back. Well, at least it wasn't his boxers.
 
Knowing they both needed to bathe after last night's activities, Kagome sent InuYasha to the bathroom first while she went down to face her mother alone - if there were any questions she would rather answer them without embarrassing InuYasha. After all, she was the one that had instigated their rounds of pleasure. She blushed as she thought of her first orgasm, and then the feel of InuYasha's tongue as she came again. They had done pretty well considering she hadn't even looked at the book that Yuki had loaned her yet…
 
As expected, Mama was in the kitchen waiting for her, “Kagome, did you and InuYasha have a good time last night?”
 
Kagome blushed and bit her tongue - she was about to say something she shouldn't have before she realized Mama was probably talking about the fair.
 
“Yea, we did. InuYasha even tried the ring toss to see if he could win me a prize. He did really well too - I think the guy running it was afraid we would stay and clean him out.”
 
“Is that where that big stuffed dog in your room came from?”
 
Kagome grinned, “Yes, he earned enough points for that one plus a couple of smaller prizes. I have one for Souta that I think he will like. Will you give it to him when he gets home from school and let him know that InuYasha won it for him?”
 
“Of course, dear. But how come you came home so early? I didn't expect to hear you come in until a lot later.”
 
“Well, InuYasha won the prizes right after we got there, so we were having to carry them around. We did go on the Ferris wheel, though, before we came back.”
 
Kagome blushed again at the thought of their kisses on the Ferris wheel and continued, “Plus I could tell that he was nervous being out in public as a human. InuYasha always feels weak in his mortal form, and worries that he can't protect me if something happens. We did have fun, but I didn't want him to feel too uncomfortable, so we came home.”
 
“Is that all?” The question was not asked accusingly, but instead Mama had that all-knowing, all-seeing glint in her eye again.
 
Kagome looked up at her mom, “Do you remember what you told me about getting InuYasha out of the department store in one piece?”
 
“Of course,” her mother laughed.
 
“Well, you should have seen the crowd he was drawing at the ring toss - and they were almost all girls. When we got away from there, we ran into Ayume, Eri, and Hojo. Eri popped off asking if he was my bad-ass boyfriend I kept standing up Hojo for, and Ayume said she thought it was true love. Eri may have been spouting off like she didn't like him, but I could see her looking him over. Poor InuYasha was really confused. I decided he'd had enough torture for one night and that I didn't want to fight off throngs of strange girls for him, so after we used the last of our tickets on the Ferris wheel, we came home.”
 
“Kagome? I noticed that the stuffed dog was wearing InuYasha's shirt this morning.”
 
Kagome flushed as she stammered “I…I…di...di...didn't, we didn't…”
 
With that, InuYasha walked into the kitchen, dressed in his firerat robes for the journey back. As he sat down at the table, Kagome kissed him on the cheek and ran upstairs to bathe and get dressed. InuYasha wondered what they were talking about that made Kagome such an interesting shade of red.
 
Mama Higurashi looked at InuYasha with a smile, “Would you like something to drink while we wait for Kagome to come back down? I'll get breakfast for both of you in a few minutes.”
 
“Keh, tea.”
 
“Did you have a good time last night?”
 
InuYasha blushed, “Well, we didn't really DO anything.”
 
Mama raised an eyebrow - she didn't think he was talking about the fair, “Kagome said you won that big stuffed dog in her room for her.”
 
“Oh, yea, that. I did pretty good at that ring-toss game. I didn't know what Kagome wanted until I'd thrown all of the rings. It wasn't that hard.”
 
“Well, Kagome said she had a good time and is glad you went with her.”
 
“Keh…whatever.” InuYasha's face was almost matching his haori again.
 
Mama Higurashi had been around InuYasha enough to know that meant he had a good time, too, and set InuYasha's tea in front of him.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome and her mother made it back from her appointment without incident. While InuYasha was anxious to get going, he was also nervous about facing the others. Shippou was bound to pick up on how much he and Kagome smelled like each other after what they had done last night, and the monk would probably make a lot of smart-ass comments. Sango would be trying to drag Kagome off for `girl-talk' and he wasn't sure what Kagome would tell her. The only one he was prepared to try and talk to was Kaede, but that would probably be almost impossible. The others were notorious for spying on him, especially when it came to Kagome. He could tell that Kagome was nervous as well. For some reason, he seemed to be tuned into her feelings even more than usual. As Kagome said goodbye to her mom, he slung her oversized backpack over his shoulder and grabbed her hand as they jumped into the well together.
 
When they landed in the bottom of the well in the past, InuYasha set the backpack down, turned to Kagome, wrapped his arms around her and kissed her. As she responded, she once again felt a warmth wash over them.
 
When they pulled apart for air, she asked, “What was that for?”
 
“In case I'm a baka and stick my foot in my mouth in front of the others.”
 
With that, he threw the backpack over his shoulder, picked up Kagome, and jumped out of the well.
 
“What took you so long?” The voice that met them was not that of Miroku, Sango, or Shippou as expected, but that of Kaede, who was sitting near the well and obviously waiting for their return.
 
Kagome's first response was a panicked, “Where are the others? Are they OK?”
 
“Aye - I sent them on an errand to the next village to keep them occupied for a while.”
 
Kagome breathed a sigh of relief. InuYasha sat down in front of Kaede. Kagome followed suit. Much to her surprise, InuYasha spoke up first. He knew he may not have this opportunity again and he'd better spit it out.
 
“What was all of that yesterday when I came back?”
 
“That's what I'm here to speak to you about. Exactly what have you and Kagome done?”
 
Kagome was blushing furiously again, and InuYasha looked like he was part of a matching set as he replied, “I haven't taken Kagome as my mate!” He muttered under his breath, “yet.”
 
Kagome decided it was time to speak up, “We've just worked out our differences, that's all.”
 
Kaede didn't look convinced, “InuYasha's aura has almost doubled in power, and if you don't know, yours has as well. It's also more difficult to tell you apart. InuYasha's has become calmer and yours more energetic. Something must have happened to cause this,”
 
Kaede looked patiently at the two, waiting to see who would speak up.
 
InuYasha spoke so softly that they both had to strain to hear him, “I told Kagome how I feel, and asked her mother for permission to make her my mate.”
 
Kaede looked at Kagome, “And you accepted?” knowing already what the answer was.
 
“Yes - but we haven't done anything about it yet. We aren't ready.”
 
Kaede looked thoughtfully at the two, “My guess is that even though you have not followed through, each of your spirits recognizes the other as your intended. You've marked each other in a way. InuYasha, your youkai has reached out to Kagome to try and protect her. Kagome, your spiritual powers have acted in virtually the same way. This is most unusual indeed. Have you noticed anything else that's different?”
 
Kagome replied, “I seemed to be having feelings that I didn't think were mine at times - it was weird.”
 
InuYasha just nodded in response. It was all new and different, but he kind of liked it.
 
Kaede spoke up again, “I've heard that when demons mate and mark each other, they can have an almost telepathic connection between them. It lets them know when one partner is in danger and in need of help - that sort of thing. It sounds like yours has already started. It will most likely grow stronger when you actually mate.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha were matching the color of his robes again. Kagome responded, “I thought you said that it happened between two demons; I'm human and InuYasha is a hanyou. How can this be?”
 
“That may be true, but you two aren't exactly ordinary. Kagome, you're a miko - your powers are strong even though you have not been trained. InuYasha may only be half-demon, but he defends you with a passion that cannot be rivaled. You give him strength he doesn't have otherwise. Each of you makes the other stronger. You are soul mates that belong together. Kagome, I don't think it was any accident that you were dragged five hundred years into the past to release InuYasha from that spell.”
 
Kagome looked down at the ground as she thought about it. Even back when InuYasha had sworn to protect Kikyou, she thought that she had been brought here for a reason - that she wanted InuYasha to live.
 
Kagome broke the silence between them when she said, “Kaede, will you not mention this to the others yet? We don't really know what it means, and we have some things to tend to before we do become mates.” She left unspoken her concerns that the monk would tease InuYasha to no end if he knew the truth. Kagome wasn't even comfortable telling Sango yet because sooner or later, she would spill it to the monk. She also needed to find a way to close Shippou's mouth before he got started - it was a good thing she brought a good supply of pocky, and some suckers, too.
 
Kaede replied, “Aye, but they know something is up. InuYasha's aura is now so strong that all of them can feel it. They'll be able to tell a difference in yours, too. Then, there is the problem with Shippou's nose and mouth.”
 
Kagome noticed that InuYasha was remaining amazingly quiet and calm through all of this in spite of his furious blushes.
 
Kagome responded, “I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.”
 
InuYasha replied, “Keh,” as he stood up, and reached down to help first Kagome and then Kaede to her feet. He picked up Kagome's backpack and they headed back to the village.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
The others returned from the semi-wild goose chase that Kaede had sent them on in time for dinner. InuYasha had gone hunting and brought back a small wild boar. It would be enough to feed them, and then have plenty left for Kaede after they hit the road again. After dressing it, he had run a spit through it and put it over the fire. It was starting to smell pretty good when the others arrived.
 
“Kagooomeee!!! You're back!” Shippou yelled as he ran and jumped in her arms. Kagome squeezed him so tight all he could get out was, “humf humf humf,” and she produced a sucker for him before he could say any more. Fortunately, Shippou didn't think twice about being given a sucker before dinnertime, and popped it in his mouth.
 
`Mission accomplished - for now,' Kagome thought.
 
Even without InuYasha's keen sense of smell she knew the monk and demon slayer were right behind Shippou. She heard a resounding SLAP as they approached the hut. Apparently Sango didn't need Miroku's aid to get down from Kirara. Of course it wouldn't occur to the monk to offer to take her hand, rather than grab her rear.
 
Kagome steeled herself for what was probably about to come. She glanced over at InuYasha, who was in his usual position sitting against the wall, legs and arms crossed in front of him with Tetsusaiga across his chest.
 
Sango and Miroku walked in followed by Kirara who was now in her small form. Kirara walked over by Shippou and curled up, the demon slayer and monk sat down in front of the fire.
 
“So what have you two been up to?” Miroku asked with a smirk on his face.
 
Kagome decided to cut him off before he said anything more, “I had to take a math test, and my mother asked InuYasha to help around the shrine with some chores.”
 
That wasn't a flat out lie - He had helped Mama with that big bag of rice and carried the groceries home for her.
 
Kagome continued, “Since last night was the new moon, we decided he would be safer there than here, and he wouldn't have to stay sealed in the hut all night with us guarding him.”
 
Sango and Miroku both looked a bit puzzled - Kagome had jumped in and answered, while InuYasha remained calmly where he was. No yelling, cursing, running out of the hut - nothing.
 
It was Miroku's turn to stammer, “We..wel..well, what about that enormous surge of power we felt from InuYasha when he came back yesterday? It seems to radiating from b…bo…both of you now. The only explanation is that you've become his mate!”
 
Kagome becoming a bit agitated replied, “No, but we have worked out our differences. Anything more is none of your business.” With that, she gave a glare that would have rivaled the “if looks could kill” one that InuYasha had flashed Kikyou the other day.
 
InuYasha just chuckled.
 
Kaede decided she'd better change the subject since the monk had obviously ignored what she told him the day before about teasing them. Kagome's quick thinking had sidelined the kitsune.
 
“Did you find out any more about the jewel shard rumor heard in the next village?”
 
Sango replied, “Some travelers passing through said they had heard some rumors to the west. They were headed east away from any possible trouble.”
 
InuYasha raised an eyebrow and noticed the slight nod Kagome gave him. InuYasha spoke up for the first time since the others had arrived, “We'll head west in the morning.”
 
With that he reached over to slice off a chunk of the boar, “Let's eat.”
 
InuYasha was fairly certain that Kagome was thinking the same thing he was. If there was a jewel shard to the west, and Sesshomaru's lands were to the west, then maybe they could kill two birds with one stone.
 
After he'd eaten, InuYasha walked out and headed for the Sacred Tree. He wasn't too surprised that Kagome followed him a few minutes later. When he was out of sight of the hut, he waited for her to catch up with him. They walked side by side in silence until they reached the tree. He was surprised that he couldn't smell any of the others following them - yet.
 
InuYasha scooped Kagome up in his arms and jumped up into one the higher branches. If they did try to sneak up on them, he hoped to be somewhat out of sight. He sat with his back against the trunk and pulled Kagome back into him so they were both facing out. She was a little nervous being this high up in the tree with him, but she knew he wouldn't let her fall.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Keh?”
 
“Were you thinking about trying to find Sesshomaru when we head west?”
 
“We probably won't have to look too hard. If we are on his lands, and there are jewel shard rumors, he'll probably find us. He'll either seek us out because we are crossing his territory, or we'll run into him because he knows that jewel shards can lead to Naraku. Either way, we are bound to come across him.”
 
“Do you think he will tell you what you - what we - need to know?”
 
“I don't know, but I have ask. If he won't talk, then we'll have to wait for Myoga to show up.”
 
With that, InuYasha carefully turned Kagome around so that she was facing him. Once she was secure, he pulled her toward him and kissed her. When they both gasped for air, he pulled her in even closer and held her.
 
Kagome spoke again, “InuYasha, how did you remain so calm when Miroku started in? Usually you would have lost your temper and stormed out after cursing at him.”
 
“I don't know, except since the other night I just feel calmer. I don't know if it is because I was finally able to come to a decision between you and Kikyou, if it's because I told you, if it's because you accepted me, if it's because your mother gave me her blessing, or all of the above. Maybe it has something to do with the change in our auras we were talking about earlier. All I know is that it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from me and I feel, well, content. For some reason the monk's baka questions didn't bother me. Besides, you seemed to have him under control.”
 
“Wait a minute - did you say Mama gave you her blessing?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“When did that happen?”
 
“She came out to talk to me while you were studying. I explained things as best as I could to her - I was honest in my answers. All I know is afterwards, she told me that I had her blessing when I was ready.”
 
Kagome wondered what he told her, but she wouldn't pry. He would tell her when and if he was ready. One thing was sure, whatever InuYasha said had impressed her mother - maybe that was why she wasn't bent out of shape over the clothes scattered around her room. Mama might have some insider information to what Kagome only suspected.
 
Kagome leaned forward and kissed him, “We'd better go back before the others get worried, or Miroku has any more wild ideas.”
 
InuYasha gathered her up and jumped lightly down from the tree. They headed back towards the hut to get some sleep before they headed west in the morning.