InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Confessions and Kisses ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 35 - Confessions and Kisses
 
 
 
Miroku had followed the silent exchange between the miko and the demon lord and decided to get involved. If he didn't, it was possible for Kagome to remain angry with Sesshoumaru for days, maybe even weeks. The girl could hold a grudge when it came to someone hurting her friends. He rose from his seat, crossing the clearing and sitting beside Kagome. She turned and looked at him, a less than pleased expression on her pretty face. “What do you want, Miroku? I'm sure you can see I'm not in the mood.”
 
“I only wish to help, Kagome. I witnessed the exchange you asked about. Even if Inuyasha could speak I doubt that he would tell you honestly what occurred.” Inuyasha shot a threatening look at the monk but it was too late. Kagome was intrigued.
 
“Oh really? What really happened then? And why would he not tell me?”
 
Miroku looked down at the hanyou. “I am sorry, Inuyasha, but I do believe you deserved exactly what you got. Okay, maybe a tad bit more, but still, you should have known better.” Inuyasha made a point to look away. He knew he was in trouble. “Inuyasha and I were speaking and he said some things that were less than kind and Lord Sesshoumaru had returned without his noticing. He had heard what Inuyasha said and confronted him. Inuyasha continued to be rude and Lord Sesshoumaru hit him. Personally, I would not have expected less.”
 
“Oh, really now? What exactly was Inuyasha saying that upset Sesshoumaru so much?”
 
Miroku gave her a pleading look. “I am sorry Kagome, but I can't say.”
 
“That bad, huh?” Miroku nodded at her. She looked at the hanyou in her lap and then at the demon lord across the clearing, catching his eyes. `Is that right? What Miroku said?' He gave her a small nod. “Oh.” She stood, dropping Inuyasha's head a little less than gently. “I see. Well then I guess you can take your ass back up to your branch. I thought you were going to think before you spoke, Inuyasha, and try to be nicer. You're just going to have to take care of yourself at least until you can tell me what it was you said. I won't make anyone else tell me. I believe Miroku.” She then turned to the monk. “Thank you, Miroku, for telling me the truth.” She then walked across the clearing and sat to the right of a now smirking demon lord.
 
Inuyasha glanced at her for a moment before leaping back into his tree, remembering to take the cold pack with him. It was actually helping a bit. He could not believe that she had switched sides so quickly! One minute she was holding him and taking care of him and the next she dropped his damn head on the ground! Damn that monk! If he wasn't so sure she would stop him he would kick the fucker's ass! Once more they betrayed him in favor of his brother. Had the whole world suddenly lost its mind? Was he the only sane one left?
 
Sesshoumaru, unlike his brother, was quite happy. She had not only turned on his brother but then came over to sit beside him. Her scent surrounded him once more, soothing his nerves and his very soul. “Kagome, are you still angry with this Sesshoumaru?”
 
She looked at him for a minute. “No. No, I'm sorry. I should have let you explain. I know how he can be and sometimes I want to punch him too. You wouldn't be interested in telling me just what he said, would you?” He just looked at her. “Yeah, I figured as much. Really, who are you trying to protect? Me or him? Or you? Never mind, don't answer that. I said I wasn't going to make anyone tell me. So, you hungry?” She smiled at him before rising to help Sango dish out the now ready noodles. “Hey, you guys hungry or what?” She called to the children who had been watching from the sidelines. They all jumped up and rushed over. They were definitely hungry. She handed each a bowl and chopsticks and watched as they sat in a small semi circle around where she had sat and Sesshoumaru was still sitting. Sango took a bowl to Miroku and Kagome made one for Jaken who looked surprised when she handed it to him. “What's the matter? Are you not hungry?”
 
The toad demon looked up at her. “N..no, Lady Kagome. This Jaken thanks you very much.”
 
“No problem. Let me know if you want seconds.” He looked after her with a dazed expression on his face. No one had ever been so kind to him. She had not only remembered him but cared enough to bring the food to him. Maybe she wasn't so bad after all. Once he had finally snapped out of his daze he started to eat. Kagome looked up into Inuyasha's tree. “Inuyasha? Do you think you can eat? Or maybe drink some broth at least?”
 
The hanyou jumped down from the tree once again before nodding carefully. “So, noodles?” He nodded again and took the bowl she offered. He sat at the base of his tree and carefully opened his mouth enough to slip a few noodles in. It wasn't easy but he figured it out. He couldn't live without his ramen.
 
“I got some treats for you guys, Kirara and Kazue. I don't know if you'll like them or not. They're made for cats and dogs in my time.” She dug the bags out of the piles of supplies and opened them, pouring some out for each. Once everyone had been served Kagome finally grabbed a bowl for herself and one for Sesshoumaru before she returned to his side and sat once more.
 
Once everyone had finished eating Kagome produced the storybook she had purchased and read to the children before sending them off to bed. They all lay just as they had the night before except for the fact that Kagome had not yet joined them. She had instead chosen to stay awake for a while longer to talk with Sesshoumaru. When she sat beside him again she was startled for a minute when mokomoko slithered across her shoulders from his own. “So was that you or it?” she asked with a grin.
 
“That was solely mokomoko. Are you not tired?”
 
“Eh, sure I'm a little tired. But I'm not ready to sleep just yet.” She stopped speaking aloud then and began to use their connection for the sake of privacy. `I asked my mother if she knew a way for us to share memories again so you can show Inuyasha the truth. She said we should try it first, that we might still be able to and not know it. If not she said you should try to give me a bit more of your youki. Did you know you left some behind before Kaede mentioned it? Mama said it's become a permanent part of me.'
 
`Yes, I was aware. When I removed it from you the last bit refused to return. I searched the library for an explanation but found none. So then your mother recommended trying first?'
 
`Yeah. So I figured I would try to show you something and if it doesn't work then we could try the youki thing if you wanted to. But I want to wait until tomorrow. I don't think I could fully focus right now.'
 
`That is acceptable. This Sesshoumaru has something I would like to ask you.' He looked at her and she smiled. `When you used the gazing crystal of your mother's and saw my pups and I leaving did you attempt to contact me through it?'
 
`You did hear me then! I didn't know it could do that!'
 
`I not only heard your voice but felt your touch as well. It had this Sesshoumaru questioning my sanity.'
 
`I thought so. You looked awful confused right after. Mama never mentioned it being able to do that. I wonder why.'
 
`Perhaps it is because of the remaining connection and your mother was not aware?'
 
`Yeah, I guess you could be right.' She looked over at him again. He had an odd look on his face. “Sesshoumaru, are you alright?” As she looked him up and down searching for the source of his discomfort in the light of the fire she noticed his pristine white pant leg had once again become stained red with blood. “Sesshoumaru! Your leg is bleeding again!”
 
“It is alright. There is no need to worry. This Sesshoumaru believes I may have torn the `stitches' as you called them.”
 
“Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion you're right. What were you doing? How did you tear them?”
 
“I was testing something.” She looked into his eyes searching for what he had not said.
 
“You jumped in the well, didn't you? And you hit the bottom. Nice. Good job. Now I'm probably going to have to sew the whole thing again. Hopefully you didn't tear your leg up worse. Why didn't you tell me?”
 
“This Sesshoumaru did not want you to worry.”
 
“Yeah well now I have to do this by flashlight. You couldn't have told me before the sun went down?” She moved to stand and was surprised when, rather than unwinding from her, mokomoko instead wrapped around her more and left Sesshoumaru completely. Apparently it liked her. Moving over to her things, she dug out a flashlight and her first aid kit. “Come on. Let's go to the stream so I can clean off all the blood again.” He rose carefully and she watched as he walked over to her. He was definitely favoring the leg.
 
When they arrived at the stream she realized she hadn't brought anything for him to cover himself with this time. Blushing, she looked back at him. “Sesshoumaru? Do you think you could…?” She trailed off and he nodded, understanding her embarrassment again. After she turned around he removed his pants, sat, and used them to cover his more private area. He then called her over. She handed him the flashlight and showed him how to hold it so she could see. After she carefully unwrapped the now bloody bandages she gasped. His leg was much worse than it had been the first time. When the stitches had torn they had made the once straight and clean cuts jagged. Once she cleaned the blood away and got a good look at it she decided. “I'm not going to be able to sew this. It's a big mess now. I'm gonna take the stitches out the rest of the way and then I'm going to have to heal it. You really did a number here. Why would you choose to test the well while your leg was still healing? Really, by tomorrow it would have been back to normal and it would have been no problem. You're just not patient, are you?” She had started snipping the threads and pulling them out with tweezers.
 
“This Sesshoumaru wanted to see if the well would work for myself. I did not want to wait.”
 
“Yeah, didn't want to wait or didn't think about what would happen if you hit the bottom?”
 
“Perhaps a bit of both.” He looked at her, still wrapped in his mokomoko. She looked rather nice surrounded in his fur. Not quite as nice as she had at the spring, but it was still nice. It was almost like she was wrapped in his arms. Mokomoko was certainly lucky. When he noticed that he was now getting jealous of an actual part of himself he nearly laughed aloud. The miko certainly made him act strangely at times. He decided then to ask her about earlier. “Kagome, when you returned from your walk with the slayer,”
 
“Sango,” she interrupted.
 
“Yes, Sango. When you returned you were nervous and confused. Did something happen while you were with her?” He watched as she looked at him with surprise in her eyes before a blush spread on her cheeks.
 
“Nothing important. We just talked is all.” Her voice didn't sound quite right. She was hiding something. He reached out and moved her chin so she was forced to look into his eyes.
 
“Tell me the truth, Kagome.”
 
“It was nothing, really! We just hadn't gotten to talk in a while.”
 
“Kagome, did you forget I can feel your emotions as well as smell when you are lying to me?”
 
She looked at him with pleading eyes. “Sesshoumaru, just let me fix your leg. I'm tired and I want to go to bed soon. It was nothing important, really. Nothing to worry about. Just some silly idea Sango has. I'm not sure if I buy it or not.”
 
“What is it that Sango thinks?” If the slayer suspected something perhaps he needed to have a talk with her as well. She was the only one now, besides the elder miko that did not know of his intentions. And he suspected that the old woman knew more than she let on.
 
Kagome let out a sigh. “You're not gonna let this go, are you?” She had finished the inner leg and moved to the outer which was just as torn. He gave her a look. “Alright, alright. Sango has this silly idea that…” She paused, sucking in a deep breath before continuing. “…you might be interested in me. I told her it was silly. I mean, you don't like humans, let alone like…”
 
“Kagome,” he stopped her rambling. He couldn't let her go on thinking that. “Your friends are very perceptive.” He watched as her eyes widened, her hands having frozen in their task. “Kagome, they are right. The monk and the slayer both. I am most definitely `interested' in you.”
 
“What?” Her voice was barely even a whisper. “But why? How?”
 
“You, Kagome, are a beautiful woman, kind, loyal, powerful. Any man who cannot see that is blind and stupid. Like the hanyou. He has had you by his side all this time and never appreciated you.” He took her left hand in his right. “For a long time I had attempted to deny my attraction to you, but I can do so no longer. This Sesshoumaru is drawn to you. My beast is drawn to you. It does not matter to me that you are human or a miko. All that matters is that you are Kagome.”
 
As she listened her eyes filled with tears. He actually liked her for her? For nearly two years she had been constantly reminded that she was a mere shadow to Kikyo and here was someone who could see her for who she really is.
 
“Kagome? Please do not cry. If you do not feel the same, I will under…”
 
“No. No that's not it. I just…you…really?” She sniffled before wiping her eyes quickly.
 
“Yes, really.”
 
“I…I don't know what to say.”
 
“You do not have to say anything. I understand that you will need time. I did not intend to tell you yet but I could not allow you to believe that it was not possible.”
 
“I… I think I might like you too.” She smiled at him then. “But we need to get to know each other better. You only know a part of who I am and I don't know a whole lot about you either.”
 
“I am willing to wait as long as you need.”
 
“So Sango was right? It explains a lot, though, doesn't it. All the flirting. You are really cute when your being a flirt.” She watched as he smiled at her. “And definitely cute when you smile. Alright, now let me finish this and them I'm going to sleep. You could probably use some sleep too.” He watched as her hands began to glow pink and she ran them along his wounds, healing them instantly. The tingle that ran through him made him shiver. “All better?”
 
“Yes, thank you Kagome.” He watched as she tried to stand and wavered slightly. “Kagome? Are you alright?”
 
She gave up trying to stand with a sigh. “Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit more tired than I thought.”
 
“Sit for a moment.” He reached out and touched her cheek. “You may wish to close your eyes. Or not.” He smirked at her as she blushed before closing her eyes. He stood, impressed at the fact that there was no hint of lingering pain or injury. She was getting very good at healing. Once he had put his pants back on he bent down and with the help of mokomoko he gathered her into his arm, her head resting on his shoulder. Her eyes barely fluttered as he lifted her from the ground.
 
“Sesshoumaru?” she whispered.
 
“Rest, Kagome. I will carry you back to camp.” She went limp in his hold and he walked slowly back towards the others, taking his time to enjoy the warmth of her body pressed against him. He had told her. She knew and she had not denied him. In fact, she had said she might like him as well. It was a start and he smiled as he looked down at her face. Her eyelids fluttered slightly as she slept, her breathing slow and steady. She looked like an angel in his arm, her face pressed into white fur. She was more beautiful every time he looked at her.
 
When they reentered the camp Inuyasha dropped from his tree to glare at his brother. He didn't speak, couldn't really, but his glare spoke enough. He stepped close to look at the girl being held by his brother. She looked so peaceful. He took a sniff and determined she was safe and really just asleep. He stepped aside then and watched as Sesshoumaru walked towards her bedding which was still overrun with children. Inuyasha was surprised when he saw the small inus rise and move out of the way so he could lay her down. Once she was situated, her arms looped around Rin and Shippo once more, he covered her and the pups surrounded her again.
 
Sesshoumaru looked over at his little brother who was still staring. He moved a bit away from where the miko rested and sat beneath a tree, motioning for Inuyasha to join him. He did, rather hesitantly, and sat in front of the demon lord. “She knows now, Inuyasha. I told her of my interest.” He watched as Inuyasha made a face. “She did not deny me brother. We will be spending time getting to know each other better and you will not interfere. Do you understand?”
 
While he really wanted to yell and curse since he could do neither at the moment, Inuyasha merely nodded. If she wanted his brother too then there really wasn't anything he could do about it. And he didn't think he wanted her as his mate anyway. He was still confused as to his feelings for Kagome. He was pretty sure that while he loved her with every bit of his heart it wasn't the love for a mate as much as for his best friend or maybe even his sister. The monk and slayer both considered her family, a sister, and Inuyasha had finally decided that that was most likely how he felt as well. He would still keep an eye on his brother, though. The hanyou knew he had caused enough pain to Kagome. He wouldn't let his brother cause any more.
 
His brother's nod surprised the taiyoukai. He had not expected Inuyasha to handle the information so well. Maybe he was finally thinking? Whatever it was, he was glad to not have to fight his brother again. It was getting old. “I am glad you understand, Inuyasha. When I ask her to be my mate I hope we will both have your support.” He watched his brother glare. “I suppose it will take you some time to get used to.” Inuyasha glared just a little harder before returning to his perch in the tree over Kagome's resting place. Sesshoumaru took of his own place from the previous night sitting at the base of the same tree.
 
Sango smiled from her resting place on the other side of the fire. She had heard everything. Sesshoumaru did like Kagome and Kagome knew now. She was sure, too, that Kagome liked the demon lord as well. She just didn't know it yet.
 
~
 
Morning greeted a very cheery miko who woke to see the children were playing a little ways away, Miroku and Sango were talking quietly, and Sesshoumaru was sitting a few feet away from her at the base of the tree she had been sleeping under. She smiled at him before standing and stretching, giving him a nice view of her stomach as her shirt lifted. He watched as she dug through her big yellow bag before standing and walking away towards the stream, Kazue hot on her heels. After she had brushed her teeth, washed her face, and changed into fresh clothes she returned to camp finding nothing had changed. Inuyasha was nowhere to be found and she figured he was off pouting somewhere. She approached Sango and Miroku who stopped talking as soon as they saw her.
 
“What are you two talking about so secretly?” She raised a suspicious eyebrow at the two, a habit she had picked up from somewhere.
 
“Nothing secret, Kagome. We were just talking.”
 
“Sure, Sango. Just talking. Did you guys have breakfast yet?”
 
“Yes, we did, Lady Kagome. The children went fishing this morning. There is one waiting for you by the fire.” Miroku smirked at her and she was sure Sango had told him something.
 
“Sango, you promised me!”
 
“No, Kagome. I didn't say anything about what we talked about. I swear!”
 
“Then why does he have that look on his face?” They both looked at the monk who was now trying to hide his smile but failing. “Give it up, Miroku. I saw already.”
 
“We were talking about something else entirely.” She looked past Kagome at the demon lord who merely sat, silently observing.
 
Kagome sighed. “Yeah, okay, whatever.” Deciding she was too hungry to care right now she retrieved her fish and ate quickly. When she had finished she went to Sesshoumaru's side. “I need to look at the chest and side wounds. I can probably take the bandages off now, after I make sure they're all healed up.” He merely nodded while opening his haori for her. She carefully peeled back the bandages to find perfect skin once again. “All gone. Hey, is there a reason you never put your armor back on?”
 
“This Sesshoumaru did not find it necessary at the present time. When we begin traveling I will have to wear it again but at the moment I am more comfortable without it.”
 
“I can see that. It looks heavy. And I bet it gets hot too.”
 
“It also makes it fairly difficult to sit comfortably. It would also make it impossible for me to feel you.” As he said this he pulled her into his lap sideways, his right arm supporting her back. “And I can't have that, now can I?”
 
She giggled at him while the others looked on in silence. “I suppose that's a good enough reason for me.” She moved from his lap and stood, him giving her no resistance. She gathered a few textbooks and her notes and began walking towards where the children were playing. As she passed Sesshoumaru he smirked at her and she blushed. She knew he was following her but didn't say anything as she settled in a shady spot. He settled in beside her. “So, you ready to try?” He nodded. “What should I try to share?”
 
“Show this Sesshoumaru something of your time.”
 
Kagome thought for a minute before settling on a memory. She would show him breakfast with her family from a few days ago. That way he could see all three of them in one shot. Since it was just a test she didn't figure it had to be incredibly interesting and it was still fresh in her mind. She concentrated on the memory and focused on Sesshoumaru like she did when she silently communicated with him. After a few minutes she looked at him. `It didn't work, did it?'
 
`No, it did not. Allow this Sesshoumaru to try.' He thought of a memory to share and focused on Kagome. Nothing happened, again.
 
“It's not gonna work. The connection isn't strong enough.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru does not mind. I will have to give you more youki to strengthen it.”
 
“Okay, so how do you do that?”
 
He had a very good impression of a Miroku look on his face. “This Sesshoumaru will have to kiss you.”
 
She raised an eyebrow at him. “Kiss me, eh? Are you sure you have to, or do you just want to?”
 
“It is the only way, but it is not the only reason. This Sesshoumaru has wanted to kiss you since you woke.”
 
She blushed brightly. “Well, then what are you waiting for?” He leaned in then, his hand touching her cheek gently. She leaned closer while closing her eyes. Their lips were so close they could feel each other's breath. When they touched it was like everything around them disappeared. There was no sound of the children playing, no sound of the breeze moving the leaves in the trees, no chirping of insects and singing of birds, no sound of water from the stream a little ways away, nothing. There was nothing but the feel of his soft, warm lips covering her own starting a tingling sensation that ran wild throughout her body. She felt it then, his power flowing into her. When he reluctantly pulled away her eyes stayed closed and he looked at her.
 
She looked absolutely perfect, then, her midnight lashes brushing her slightly pink cheeks, her lips still slightly pursed. He decided not to fight the urge and leaned in to kiss her once more. His hand slid from her cheek into her hair and he moved his lips ever so gently, slowly, hoping not to frighten or overwhelm her. He could have floated away to heaven just then when her lips moved with his. Their lips danced against each other until he felt her need for air. Before he released her, though, he pulled her bottom lip between his own, sucking slightly and nibbling, drawing a small moan from her. When they pulled apart they were both breathing heavily. They stared into each other's eyes for a minute, their foreheads pressed against each other until they heard it. Giggling. It had started quietly but was growing in intensity. They each turned and looked at the small crowd that had gathered. Kagome blushed and buried her face in his fur and Sesshoumaru smirked rather triumphantly at the children. They all grinned back before turning and returning to their game.