InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Comforts and Companions ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 36 - Comforts and Companions
 
 
“I can't believe they saw that,” she groaned into his shoulder.
 
“Why are you embarrassed, Kagome? You just made them all very happy.” She pulled back to look at him.
 
“And how did I do that?” She looked suspiciously at him and then at the children who were running and laughing once more.
 
“You taste absolutely wonderful.” She blushed even more at his words.
 
That does not answer my question.” Suddenly her mind was flooded with images. She saw Shippo sitting in front of her and heard Sesshoumaru declaring his interest. She heard all the children talking, their voices filled with excitement at the idea of Sesshoumaru and herself together. When the vision had subsided she smiled at him. “I see. Well, I guess that means the youki worked.”
 
“Yes, it does.”
 
“I taste good, huh? Well, you do too.” She smiled widely. “So, now that we know it works I need to do some studying.” They sat for hours side by side, Kagome leaning slightly against him. While Kagome read one textbook, taking notes as she went along, Sesshoumaru was looking over another. He was looking through her science book, finding each page more and more amazing. The people of her time had learned a great deal. He read things in the book that he had never even imagined possible. They knew what the stars were made of, they understood why volcanoes erupted, they had classified more varieties of plants, animals, and insects than he had ever known existed. And yet there was no mention of youkai. As he read through, learning about photosynthesis and the water cycle, single celled organisms, dinosaurs, the solar system, and all kinds of amazing knowledge demons were not mentioned once.
 
After a while the children had grown tired of playing and had joined them, all but Akihiro settling down for a nap. Akihiro could not bring himself to sleep when such amazing looking books were just waiting for him to read. He was looking through her math book, starting at the beginning and teaching himself as he went along. The advancement of mathematic knowledge astounded him. And the fact that Kagome was studying it only made him love her more. She was not a stupid woman. She was intelligent and educated and would be able to talk to him, really talk to him. His brothers all thought he was silly, reading all the time, but he couldn't help himself. The scrolls and books in the library called to him, taunting him with their knowledge until he gave in and read them. Perhaps she would bring him some more of these `textbooks' as she called them from her time.
 
When her eyes were beginning to win their protest of boredom she closed her book, marking her page with her notes. She looked then at Sesshoumaru and Akihiro, both inu absolutely entranced by the books they were studying intently. “If only you guys could take my tests for me. Then I wouldn't have anything to worry about.” They looked up at her. “So, you think you can put the books down to have some lunch?”
 
They woke the rest of the children and returned to camp to find Sango stirring stew in a pot over the fire. “I managed to snag a couple of rabbits. Thought some real food was in order. The fish this morning were just too good and made me want more meat!”
 
“Really, Sango? Are you sure you're not a demon in there somewhere? Or pregnant?” Kagome laughed as Sango blushed. “That smells amazing and I was just kidding. Don't blush too hard or you might pass out. Thanks for cooking! I'm absolutely famished! Way too much studying.” She watched as the children lined up to be served and when it was her turn she got a bowl for Sesshoumaru as well. “Where's Jaken? And Inuyasha?”
 
“Jaken took Ah Un to check on things at the palace. I do not know where the hanyou went. He left early this morning before anyone woke.”
 
“Oh. Alright. He'll come back when he gets hungry.” She sat beside Sesshoumaru. Sango sat beside her and glared at Miroku as he tried to sit beside her. Catching the hint the monk instead sat on the opposite side of the fire. The children completed the circle and soon everyone was eating the rabbit stew Sango had prepared. “This is really good, Sango! I should leave you to cook more often!” Kazue hopped onto her shoulder and Kagome gave her a piece of rabbit with her chopsticks. “I'm sorry, Kazue. I bet you're hungry! I don't know what to give you.”
 
“Kazue can hunt for herself as long as I am present to protect you in her absence.”
 
“You hear that, Kazue? You can go find whatever you want. Sesshoumaru will stay here with me, right?” He nodded and everyone watched the tiny black and red dog saunter away into the forest wagging her tail. A tiny two tailed neko followed after her. “I hoped they would get along. It's so cute, the two of them together.”
 
Sango nodded her agreement. “I'm glad Kirara has a friend. I feel bad sometimes that I can't understand her. It must get lonely with no one to talk to.”
 
Sesshoumaru glanced at Kagome before speaking. “This Sesshoumaru can understand her. I believe the kit can as well.”
 
They all look at Shippo who nodded. “She talks to me sometimes when we play or at night. She didn't want me to tell you so you wouldn't feel bad that you can't.”
 
“I never knew that. I guess it is kind of sad that I can't talk to her but at least she has had someone to talk to all this time.” Sango looked at her bowl in her lap.
 
`Sesshoumaru? Could Sango make a connection with Kirara like I have with Kazue? If she wanted to, of course.'
 
`If the fire cat agrees then I see no reason not to. You should ask the slayer…Sango…alone, though. If she does form a connection with Kirara then it would come in handy in battle and it may be better for it to remain a secret like your connection with Kazue.'
 
`But if I bring it up she will want to know how I know.'
 
`Then tell her I told you. I did, so you would not be lying.'
 
Kagome looked at her friend. She looked so sad. Kirara had been with Sango since she was a child and yet they never formed a bond. Perhaps it was because of her being a slayer. Maybe her people didn't approve of bonding with demons, even the friendly ones. She would have to find out. And she would have to ask Kazue or Sesshoumaru to ask Kirara how she felt about it as well.
 
~
 
Kagura had taken her time in her return to Naraku's hidden castle. She was not looking forward to telling him about his failure to kill the pups of the western lord. Hopefully he didn't decide to kill her in his anger. Or maybe he would. If she was dead then at least she would be free of him. But then she remembered. Kagura wanted to live. She wanted to see Naraku killed before she breathed her last. Steeling her nerves she entered the room when the evil hanyou sat. She looked him over for a minute.
 
He sat in a corner looking almost as if he was in a trance. He was holding his portion of the sacred jewel staring at it as if he were trying to see into the very heart of the jewel itself. Without moving or looking up he spoke. “Where have you been, Kagura?”
 
She jumped a bit at his words, startled by his speaking. She hadn't thought he was aware of her presence. “I was merely keeping an eye on things, master.”
 
“What is there to keep watch of? I did not send you on any tasks and nothing is being done at the moment.”
 
“I was checking on Lord Sesshoumaru, master. If he had decided to attack we could have been caught off guard.”
 
“Oh, is that so? And what was the dog up to then?”
 
“Master, I am sorry to tell you that your plan failed. The pups are alive.”
 
“Yes, Kagura. I am aware. Did you come across anything of actual value?” His voice was sarcastic and yet full of warning at the same time.
 
“No, master, I did not. I only saw that the boys were alive before I came back to tell you. How did you already know?”
 
“The saimyosho are much more reliable than you, Kagura. They told me days ago. Leave me. I am busy devising my newest plan and you are nothing but an annoying distraction. Find something to do of some worth or I will have to reunite you with your sister.” His words were full of hate and Kagura cringed at the thought of how Kanna had died. She did not want that to happen to her.
 
“Yes, Master Naraku.” She turned and fled the room, returning to the room she used as her own on the opposite side of the dilapidated castle. She had to think of something, someway to make Lord Sesshoumaru and the others trust her. She needed their help.
 
~
 
He felt bad for Kagura. She had watched her sister die, killed by that monster. He wished he could go speak with her, try to comfort her, but he could not. Instead he stayed where he sat in the room next to the one that held the disgusting, evil creature that held him captive as well. He sat and stared into the distance thinking of her. She was all he could think about anymore. Her long brown hair, her tear-filled brown eyes, the sound of her voice as she called his name. He could remember her now. He could remember them all, how he had killed them all in cold-blood. It had been like he was watching from inside someone else. He had no control, could not stop it as his body followed the orders of another and slaughtered his family, his friends, his people. For a long time after that his memory was blank. He had very little knowledge of what had transpired during that time. But then he had seen her. Something about her called to him, called back his memories. Painful memories, true, but at least they were memories. It was better to remember something painful than to remember nothing at all.
 
And yet here he still sat. He did not go to her. He did not let her know he remembered. He couldn't. Not yet, at least. No, he would stay here in the very den of evil, watching and waiting until the time came when he could help her. He would help her avenge the deaths of all who had been killed by the monster that held him, all who the monster had killed through him, with his own body. But until then he waited, pretending and listening, learning the monster's secrets. And when he knew enough he would escape and go to the girl with the long brown hair and the sad brown eyes. He would find her and tell her the secrets that would help bring about the end of the evil. He would find Sango.
 
~
 
Hiromi was all smiles when she came back into the house. Souta looked at her like she had lost her mind. “Mama? What are you so happy about?”
 
“Huh? Oh, Souta dear! What did you say?”
 
“I asked why you're so happy. Are you okay?” His voice was hesitant. It was rare for him to see his mother distracted. She always seemed focused on him and his sister, when she was home at least.
 
“Oh, nothing special dear. I'm just happy is all. I think I'm going to make some cookies. How does that sound?”
 
“Chocolate chip?”
 
“Of course dear.”
 
“Yummy! That sounds great Mom!”
 
Hiromi smiled again as she turned towards the kitchen to start the cookies. She had a good reason to smile, a very good one. She had seen her daughter's Sakimitama kiss her. She had also seen her husband, who appeared to be busy readying his hiding place for visitors. It would be a while still until they arrived but he had never had guests and there was certain to be a lot of them. He had aged slightly but he was still the man she had fallen in love with. She had not seen him smile in some time now, but today a bright smile not only showed on his face but shone through his eyes as well. Kagome had opened the box and held the arrow just like she was supposed to and now he knew she was safe and coming to him. Soon enough he would see the beautiful woman his daughter had grown into. Their sacrifice had been worth it, she was sure. As she gathered ingredients she began to hum to herself, her smile never fading.
 
~
 
When lunch was finished and cleaned up Kagome had started digging through her supplies once more. When she finally found what she was looking for she popped up and turned to the demon lord who had been watching her wiggling bottom intently. “Hey, since Kazue isn't back yet do you wanna walk with me to the village? I need to give these to Kaede.” She shook a bottle at him, its contents rattling. Seeing his curiosity she spoke again. “It's medicine from my time for her. She's got arthritis pretty bad in her hands and this seems to help.”
 
“Ar…ther...i..tis?” He said the foreign word slowly.
 
“It's something humans often get as they get older. It's basically stiffness and pain in the joints. It makes holding things harder for her. Some people get it just in their hands and others get it in their knees. Some people can get it everywhere. Doctors in my time can't heal it but they can make it more bearable with medicines like this.” He nodded and stood. Kagome turned to the kids. “Can you guys stay here with Sango and Miroku? Too many demons make the villagers nervous.” They nodded and moved to get out their coloring things. She turned back to Sesshoumaru who was holding his arm out to her. She slipped her own through it and they began their walk to the old miko's hut.
 
The walk was quiet but comfortable. Kagome took the time to think over everything that had happened since last night. She now knew that Sesshoumaru really did like her, that Sango had been right. She had fallen asleep in his arm as he carried her back to camp. He had kissed her, not just to transfer youki but really kissed her. And it had been really nice. She had never expected a kiss from the demon lord to be so…so…perfect. She could think of no other way to describe it. The more she thought about it the more she became convinced that she had feelings for him as well. When she was near him the empty feeling she had tried to forget about was gone. Her soul felt at peace. Was it possible that she was in love with him? She wasn't sure when she had stopped loving Inuyasha in that way. It had been a gradual thing, barely noticeable until it was done. And the feelings she now held for Sesshoumaru had snuck in just as slowly. She hadn't noticed really until she was already in too deep to stop herself.
 
Sesshoumaru was deep in thought himself. She had allowed him to kiss her. She had even kissed him back. She had said last night that she might like him too. While not definitive, it was at least not a rejection. The taste of her, the feel of her returning the kiss, it was altogether amazing. He was definitely looking forward to doing it again. He had never kissed the demonesses he had been with in the past. He hadn't seen the point, had never felt the need. It was an intimate, special thing to be shared with someone special and they had never been special. Just there. But now he felt this undeniable urge to kiss the woman beside him, to taste her soft, sweet lips again. Once had not been enough, twice had not been enough. He didn't think he would ever have enough, could ever have enough.
 
When they reached their destination they had nearly walked right on past. Neither was paying much attention. They had been stopped, however, by the voice of the person they were looking for.
 
“Kagome, child. How nice to see you!” She had a smile on her face again, something secret dancing in her one good eye.
 
“Oh, hello, Kaede. I brought you some more arthritis medicine. I almost forgot about it. Here.” She handed the bottle to the miko who held it with care.
 
“This old woman thanks you, Kagome dear. It is amazing, the medicines from your time.”
 
“No problem. So what are you up to? Is there anything you need help with?”
 
Kaede nodded. “Yes, dear child, if you wouldn't mind. I am running low on several herbs that do not grow here in my garden. They only grow out in the woods and my old bones are not quite feeling up to the journey today.”
 
Kagome disentangled her arm from Sesshoumaru's. “Sure Kaede. Which ones?” The taiyoukai watched as Kaede and Kagome stepped into the hut. He leaned against the outside of the hut, waiting while he listened to their discussion. A few minutes later Kagome came out of the hut with a basket and a list. She was surprised to see Kazue and Kirara sitting at Sesshoumaru's feet.
 
“This Sesshoumaru wishes to speak to the elder miko. Kazue and Kirara will escort you. It will give you a chance to speak with them about the…Sango.” He was still having a hard time referring to her friends by their names.
 
“Oh, okay.” She was fairly curious about what he had to talk to Kaede about but decided to worry about it later. She had other things to focus on. She started into the forest, having slung her bow and arrows over her shoulder after picking them up from the corner of the hut. The fire neko and inu followed after her side by side.
 
~
 
“What can this old woman do for you, Lord Sesshoumaru?” Kaede asked politely with a small bow.
 
He returned her bow out of respect before speaking. “Could we sit, please?” She nodded and they did. He watched as she poured two cups of tea before handing him one. “Thank you.” She nodded at him again. “This Sesshoumaru wishes to ask you about the well. I have learned that my brother can pass through. Kagome had mentioned that you believed it was because of the subjugation beads and the connection they created. I had deduced that the connection she and I share would be greater than the simple subjugation spell but it appears I was mistaken.”
 
“The well would not permit you passage then?”
 
“No.” She looked at him questioningly. “I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Why can the hanyou pass but this Sesshoumaru cannot?”
 
She looked contemplative for a moment before she responded. “Perhaps it is because the connection they share is represented by a physical item.”
 
“If this Sesshoumaru were to have subjugation beads as well, then would I be able to pass?”
 
“I do not know, Lord Sesshoumaru. It is a possibility, but would you really wish to give Kagome such power over you?”
 
He looked at her as he thought. Eventually he decided. “You are aware of the feelings of this Sesshoumaru, are you not?” She nodded while smiling. “Kagome already holds a great deal of power over me without even knowing it. She does not need a spell to persuade me to her will. I do not believe a strand of beads would make much of a difference. Could you make another?”
 
“I did not make the necklace Inuyasha wears. My elder sister Kikyo made it before her death. But I believe I could make one for you. It would take some time, though.”
 
“How long?” He wanted it done as soon as possible. He wasn't sure if he would need to convince Kagome to place it on him and he wanted to test the theory before she returned next week.
 
“A few days at least. Do you intend to tell her about it?”
 
“Not until it is complete.”
 
~
 
When Kagome had located the first herb on the list she began to speak. “Kirara, I was wondering. Do you know about the connection I have with Kazue, so that I can understand her?” The miko watched as the fire cat nodded at her. “Is there a reason why you don't have a similar one with Sango?” The tiny cat began to mew and Kagome turned to look at Kazue for translation.
 
`She says the demon slayers did not approve of the necessary blood connection. Sango probably has no idea that it is possible.'
 
Turning back to the cat she continued. “Would you like to form this bond with her if she agrees? I can ask her for you.” Once again Kirara spoke in meows.
 
`She says that she would love to share such a connection with the slayer. She would like to bond with you as well. I've told her about how you want to keep it secret for use in battle and she agrees that it would be incredibly useful. She says she has always wished to be able to communicate with the slayer.'
 
“Alright. Well then I'll tell her about it and how it works and then if she agrees, which I know she will, then we can both bond with you, Kirara. I wouldn't want to do it before her. Sango should be first.”
 
`She says thank you. She can't wait.'
 
Kagome smiled. “It's settled then. Let's hurry up and get the rest of the herbs for Kaede so we can go back to Sango.” She stood up then and continued the search.
 
~
 
Sango and Miroku were talking quietly again. Sango had told him what she had seen the night before between Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru and Miroku had shared the conversation that had gotten Inuyasha punched. They had been discussing since their observations and opinions. Neither noticed that the children had fallen silent and were listening closely. Eventually they decided to clue the two in and joined them. The slayer and monk listened in awe as the pups filled them in not only on the demon lord's feelings and intentions but also on the kiss they had witnessed earlier. It seemed their observations and suspicions had definitely been right. Both were happy for their friend and sister. She deserved to have someone love her and only her. It was about time!
 
~
 
The missing hanyou had decided he needed a little time to himself and was hiding out in his secret place. It was a cave that's entrance was nearly invisible and almost unreachable. He had used it several times when he was younger to hide during his human night or to rest without being detected and chased. It held the few things he still had to remind him of his mother. He sat in the near darkness, his half-demon eyes being strong enough that he could see perfectly, looking over the last bits of the memory of his mother. He had given Kikyo his mother's lip paint and had no idea what happened to it when she died. All that remained was a hairbrush, a beautiful set of combs that she had worn often, and an old tattered kimono that had once held her scent. It had faded away completely long ago. There was one more item too, but he had no idea what it held. It was a small wooden box that had been sealed somehow. He had tried to open it several times but was afraid to force it in case he would break it or any contents. So instead he left it alone. It didn't matter what was in it anyway, only that it had been important to her.
 
He had been sitting for some time just staring at the things laid out before him. He missed his mother. She had been the only person to ever accept him besides Kagome. She had left him because his brother had hated humans and hanyou so much that he kicked them out of the palace when their father had died. Her family had hated him so much that they treated her horribly. She ended up sick due to the poor conditions they were forced to live in. When she finally died he hadn't know what to do so he had taken the few things she still had with him and ran. He had been running ever since. Then, when he found Kikyo, she had made him believe his running was over but it had been a lie. He understood now that she never accepted him fully. Not like Kagome did. He was so confused. His brother had hated humans and hanyou so much he sentenced him and his mother to their deaths. But now he wanted a human as his mate? To have hanyou children of his own? It didn't make sense at all.
 
All he knew for sure was that he couldn't lose Kagome. She had given his life meaning, given him friends, real ones who accepted him for who and what he was. And yet he had never truly accepted her who for who she was. No, he merely compared her to his old love. She didn't deserve to be compared to Kikyo. She didn't compare to Kikyo. She was so much more wonderful than Kikyo had ever been. He sat and thought, all alone, trying to find a way to make sure Kagome wouldn't get hurt. He would kill Sesshoumaru if he hurt her. But how was he going to be able to sit and watch the hypocrisy of his brother having feelings for a human miko, let alone his human miko, his best friend. His entire life had been torn apart by something that didn't matter to Sesshoumaru anymore? No answers were forthcoming and he was stuck confused and hurt, betrayed and alone. Eventually he fell into a restless sleep holding the kimono in his hands, wishing it still held his mother's scent.
 
 
 
Author's Notes:
 
First I want to warn everyone, I may not get a chapter up every single day the next week and a half. My daughter and I have a ton of Halloween crafts to finish up and some decorating to do too.
 
And I can pretty much guarantee no update on Halloween. It's my favorite day of the year and I will be a few cities down with my grandparents and my husband's family for the parade and trick-or-treating. We're gonna be hanging out with my five nieces and nephews so I'm sorry to say that you all will be neglected.
 
Plus I'm not as far ahead as I would like. I'm right up to where the first real lime goes, and it might take me a while to get it perfect. Only written one lemon before and that story never got posted. Definitely going to be blushing while I write but I want to make sure it's good. I figure it's better to wait a few days than get a sucky chapter right away, right?
 
Now, reviewer responses.
 
Syoze - I would love to list two chapters a day but they keep getting longer and longer and regretfully I do have a tiny bit of a life. Sometimes it's awful nice to stay in story land all day though.
 
Sandra - I bet the harder you try not to picture Jaken naked the more the image keeps popping up. Sorry to traumatize you but I just couldn't resist.
 
Lester - Yeah, Rin will probably be afraid of the wolves when Kouga shows up. Just one more strike against the wolf prince, right? If only Kagome knew he pictured Jaken naked I think she might be a bit too grossed out by the idea to keep bringing it up. But it would definitely be a fine torture.
 
Ginrei - Happy to make you grin. Fluff is fun.
 
Arryelle - Glad you liked your present. I couldn't resist. Thought you would enjoy it. Glad you liked them too. Flirting is on the rise now, too!
 
Little189 - this is going to be a huge story. I'll probably end up breaking it into several `books'. Way over a hundred. Heck, probably more than 200 cuz I'm still just scratching the surface of my planned plot.
 
Monk-miko - I don't write them the day I post them so it's not such a huge feat. I try to stay about ten chapters ahead because I reread and tweak like crazy. Finally Kagome knows what Sango and Miroku have suspected for like ever. They'll find Kagome's dad eventually, but first studying and then a week in Kagome's time for exams!
 
 
Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to review and for saying such nice things!
 
Oh, and next chapter is called A Miko Belt or `Damnit! Put Me Down!