InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shi-Bun-No-Ichi Yasha ❯ Chikara ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Shi-Bun-No-Ichi-Yasha
Part 5



"YOU!" Inu Yasha spat despite having his face smooshed into the floor. "You got away last time, but that was just a lucky break!"

"Lucky?" the girl hopped down flawlessly. "Don't you even find it odd that I hold the same power over you as Kagome?"

"Who are you?" Kagome interrogated.

"You should know," the girl grinned. "You've been talking about me this whole time!"

"So you ARE Kagome's daughter?" Shippo stared in amazement.

"I'm not allowed to flat-out say it." the strange girl uttered. "But since you guys figured it out on your own, I don't see why I should keep the secrecy up."

"Let me look at you!" Kaede moved over to the girl and took her chin in her hand, turning it to the side and examining carefully.

"Don't worry about it." said Kagome. "Kaede-bachan* did the same thing when she first saw me."

"True." the old priestess replied. "I want to see if you really resemble Kagome."

"I've heard that story before." the girl said as Kaede turned her face the other way. "Kaede-sama, you're not going to through sand on me too, are you?"

"No." Kaede stepped back. "I've heard and seen enough. There is no doubt that you are the daughter of Kagome!"

"No way!" cried Shippo.

By this time, a certain disgruntled hanyou had picked himself up off of the floor and was coming towards the newcomer.

"Alright, you little punk." Inu Yasha growled in the girl's face. "I've had enough of your crap! There is NO way in the seven hells that you are Kagome's brat, nevermind mine! I've never mated in my life, and even if I did, it certainly wouldn't have been with that wench!"

"My," the girl spoke as if she weren't the least bit afraid of the dog demon in front of her. "Okaa-san* wasn't kidding when she told me you were such a jerk during the quest."

"WHAT!?" Inu Yasha cracked his knuckles, exposing his sharp claws.

"You heard me." she smiled. "You were always so mean to everyone because you didn't want them to get close. But no matter what you did, no matter how nasty you were, they all stayed by your side until long after the end of the quest."

"Feh!" spat Inu Yasha. "If that's the case, why didn't they just leave? I don't need any of them to find the jewel!"

"Oh really?" the girl shot an eyebrow up. "Then do go ahead and tell me how you found all the shards that you have! Oh wait! That's right! You found them TOGETHER!!!"

Inu Yasha had had enough of being sassed by a 9-year. He drew back his arm to strike with his merciless claws.

"OSUWARI!" said Kagome and the girl in unison.

*WHAM!!*

"You know," said Miroku as he stared down at Inu Yasha. "A dog demon can only take so much abuse in one day."

Shippo took the pause in the conversation to get acquainted with the raven-haired girl. He hopped into her arms as comfortably and easily as he often did with Kagome.

"So you're Kagome's daughter?!" he smiled brightly. "That's so cool!"

The girl laughed.

"When my parents told me you were small during their adventures, they weren't kidding!"

"Aw!" whined the fox demon. "Why does everyone pick on me for my size!"

"Don't worry about it." she smiled. "You don't stay small forever!"

"Really?" Shippo's eyes lit up. "How tall do I get to be where you come from?"

"Just under my father's height." she replied.

Stepping over the cursing dog demon on the floor, Sango, with Kirara in tow, made her way over to the girl claiming to be Kagome's descendant. Shippo crawled up onto the girl's shoulder as Sango drew near.

"It's a surprise, but nonetheless a pleasure, to meet you!" Sango smiled and extended her hand to the girl.

"The pleasure is mine, Sango-oba*." the girl politely returned the gesture.

"Oba!" Sango sweatdropped. "How do you come around to calling me that?"

"Well," the girl began. "Growing up, I thought of everyone around me as family, so I just started calling them by who I thought they were."

"Interesting…" Sango beamed warmly. "but I'm afraid you haven't given us your name yet."

"My name is Chikara." the girl answered. "And believe it or not, my father is the one who came up with the name."

"I take it that that is him on the floor." said Miroku, pointing to Inu Yasha.

"Hai." Chikara sighed. "When Okaa-san told me he was bad in the old days, I never imagined that he was as bad as this!"

"Speak for yourself!" Inu Yasha growled, still pinned to the floor.

"If you will excuse me, everyone…" Chikara excused herself from the group and walked over to where Inu Yasha was now just getting up. She got right in his face and whispered in a tone as sharp as Tetsusaiga itself.

"Listen, Otou-yarou*." she hissed, baring her fangs. "Okaa-san told me to be nice to you while here in the past, and I'll do as she says to the best of my abilities. But if you ever say anything that heartless to Kagome again, I'll do to you what she never had the heart to!"

"And what would that be, brat?" Inu Yasha gestured equally.

"I'll say the 'O' word until you beg me to stop!" was the answer.

Inu Yasha could only growl in response. The thought of having two people capable of flooring him didn't sit very well with him. In fact, it didn't sit well with him period. He'd have to flush out his foul mouth, at least for now.

Returning to the others, Chikara was soon showered with more questions.

"How did you travel back to this time period?" Kagome inquired. "Was it something to do with the old well?"

"I'm sorry," Chikara shook her head. "But I can't tell much about the future or it might accidentally change for the worse. I'm already taking a huge risk by just being here!"

"Taking such a risk must have had a desperate reason behind it." Miroku stated. "Can you, at the very least, explain why you came back to this time?"

Chikara stared at the floor, her face a mixture of sadness and determination. She took a few deep breaths before responding.

"I can't explain everything, as I said before." she sighed. "But here goes…"

Everyone sat down to listen intently. Inu Yasha, reluctant to join the circle, eventually slumped himself down as well.

"A few years before I was born, the Shikon Jewel was nearly completed." Chikara began. "Only one shard still remained at large, but it couldn't be found anywhere."

"Do you know who might have had it?" Sango asked.

"No." Chikara shook her head. "Unfortunately not."

"Do continue." said Miroku softly.

"The search continued for well over a year," Chikara continued. "but eventually, everyone gave up and decided to settle down."

"What about you?" Shippo tightened the bow in his hair.

"I was born sometime later." Chikara replied. "Things were peaceful, and eventually, Sango-oba, Miroku-oji*, Shippo-ani*, and Myouga-jiji* were able to pass through the Bone Eater's Well freely."

Hearing Chikara's references to her friends stirred something within Kagome. She was talking about them as if they were her real family, not just family friends. Kagome pictured in her mind a warm scene: Everyone together, laughing, and having memorable times together. It took a bit of control to hold back a tear that was starting to form in her eye.

"But then, something strange started to happen." Chikara bowed her head, staring at the floor once again. "Demons began appearing and attacking us and our neighbors. We don't know why, but some demon or other, in human form no doubt, would show up at our door and pick a fight."

"How awful!" said Kagome sadly.

"It got so bad that I stopped going to school because I didn't want the few friends I had to get hurt." said Chikara. "I miss them a lot."

"How did YOU get into a human school with those ears?" Inu Yasha glared at her sarcastically.

"I always wear my floppy cap when I go out so that people think it's just the hat." she explained. "Only my really close friends know the truth… and… one enemy…"

"Who?" Shippo clenched his fists angrily.

"A demon named Zankokumaru*." Chikara growled. "He's my half-cousin!"

"H-Half-cousin!?!" cried Kagome.

"But that would mean he's-" Inu Yasha started.

"Yes," Chikara interrupted. "He's the son of Sesshoumaru by whoever he got involved with."

"Oh that's one demon we definitely don't need breeding!" Inu Yasha muttered disgustedly.

"Do tell!" Miroku added.

"If we didn't know about Chikara," Sango grinned mischievously. "We'd say the same thing about you, Inu Yasha!"

No one could help but laugh at that comment. Inu Yasha, on the other hand, did not find it amusing in the least.

"So what happened next?" asked Shippo anxiously.

"One day, Otou-san fought a demon under the new moon and was badly poisoned." Chikara's dark bangs covered her eyes, but it was obvious by the tone in her voice that she was struggling not to cry. "He survived, but… he just kept getting weaker… and weaker…"

She couldn't continue. Tears were splashing onto the wooden floor and all she could do was sob. Sango and Kagome pat her back softly, trying to calm her, but to no avail. Inu Yasha glared silently.

"It's alright." Kaede said softly, handing the girl a cloth to wipe her face. "You can tell us only if you're up to it. Don't force yourself."

Chikara lifted her teary-eyed face to glare at Inu Yasha. For one, long, still moment, all they could do was stare at one another.

"What are you looking at me like that for?" Inu Yasha's voice was low and serious.

"Baka…!" she sobbed. "Can't you see? We need that last shard! I need… my otou-sama…!"

She broke down again into tears, and soon all but Inu Yasha's eyes were flowing with sadness. The dog demon could only stare at the floor in silent anger. Suddenly, he stood up.

"Is there anything else we should know about?" he forced out.

"Yes," Chikara took a deep breath and tried to compose herself a bit. "After about a month, we did find the final shard…"

"Where!?" cried Kagome frantically. "Where is it!? Please! You can't hold this back!"

"It's in America." Chikara wiped her eyes on her shirt, as the cloth Kaede had handed her was well soaked by this time. "There's an old whaling museum, and the shard is stuck in a painting on the wall."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






*Several Japanese terms used in the text may/not be familiar to you:

Okaa means 'mother'
Otou means 'father'
--bachan is a term of respect for an older, but familiar woman
--oba means 'aunt'
--yarou is a nasty term to call someone. It basically means jerk, brat (for younger person), and/or bastard.
--oji means 'uncle'
--ani means 'older brother'
--jiji is a slightly impolite term for an older, but familiar man
Zankokumaru is a name I came up with based on Sesshoumaru's name. Sesshoumaru's name means something like 'cruelty', and zankoku is another word for 'cruel', which is how I got the name.