InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shi-Bun-No-Ichi Yasha ❯ Reconciliation ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Shi-Bun-No-Ichi Yasha

part 14

"Inu…Ya…sha?" Kagome barely breathed once her mind finally accepted the fact that Inu Yasha was standing right in front of her.

Shippo hopped up onto Chikara's shoulder to see what was going on, but was immediately picked up and dragged out of the apartment, courtesy of Sango. Miroku made eye contact with the dog demon for a moment before leading the girl from the future out behind Sango.

The apartment was perfectly silent. Even the mini-fridge, which normally hummed softly, was mute. The tension of the moment was so thick that it could've been cut with a knife.

Inu Yasha and Kagome could only stare at one another. The hanyou lowered his head, staring and the ground. Kagome saw his shoulders twitch and knew he was forcing himself not to cry. She approached soundlessly and reached out gently to him. Inu Yasha slowly pushed it away.

"Don't touch me." his voice was low and firm.

"Why?" she asked calmly.

"I deserve neither your forgiveness nor your pity!"

"Inu Yasha…"

"Enough! There is no excusing what I did no matter what state of mind I was in. If anything, you should be saying the 'O' word until my back breaks!"

He stood there with his eyes closed, waiting for the controlling word or some other form of abuse. Normally, he'd avoid Kagome like the plague when he knew he'd be smooshed into floor, but this was different. He'd nearly done something unthinkable, and that could not go without equal punishment.

His eyes popped open at the sound of sobbing. Kagome was staring up at him, her eyes spilling tears.

"Oh gods!" he clenched his teeth. "A slap, the 'O' word, anything would hurt less than watching her cry!"

Her hands went to his face, caressing it gently. It was too much to bear. Inu Yasha gripped her hands tightly and again removed them from his face.

"I said don't touch me! I don't want your pity!"

*SLAP!*

Inu Yasha's face stayed turned to the side, Kagome's slap stunning and relieving him at the same time. However, he had not been prepared for the words to come.

"Baka!" she cried, anger showing through her tear-stained face. "Are you so stubborn that you can't even forgive yourself?"

"Eh?" he turned back to her, puzzled.

"How many times do I have to tell you? It's not your fault! It never was, it never is, and never will be!"

"Will you look at me!?" he paused. "I'm nothing but a freak! I'm not a demon, and I'm not a human! I'm stuck in the middle! I'm not even normal! Sure, I can be one or the other for brief periods, but that's what worries me,… and makes me worry… for you…"

"Oh Inu Yasha,…" Kagome wiped some tears on her sleeve. "Didn't you think I knew that by now?"

"Huh?" he blinked.

"Inu Yasha, I knew who and what you were when we began traveling together. I knew those things when we fought battles and made friends. I knew those things, and I still fell in love with you."

"How could you?"

"Because those are the things that make you who you are, and what made me love you."

"Kagome, I can kill you as a demon and not be able to protect you when I'm human. How can you even stand being near me right now? Or ever?"

"Because you're Inu Yasha, and I know that you love me."

It was like being shot and pinned to the tree again. Kagome was pushing every single one of his faults aside like they were nothing, and there was nothing he could do to change her mind.

"I… don't understand…" he stuttered.

"That's ok." She caressed the slap mark gently. "I don't expect you to. You were cast out of society all your life, and suddenly the things that gave you that problem don't matter anymore."

"D-Did it ever really matter?" his lip trembled.

"No, " she shook her head. "It never mattered to me."

He pulled her suddenly into his tight embrace, sobbing quietly into her shoulder. Though a little shocked at first, Kagome smiled and hugged him back.

"Kagome, I'm so sorry!" he cried. "Can you ever forgive me?"

"Inu Yasha…" she pet his ebon mane soothingly. "Of course I do. How can I not?"

"Oh gods,…" he held her tighter. "I was so scared you'd never want to see me again!"

"Inu Yasha," Kagome whispered in his ear. "I could never, ever do that to you. It would just kill me."

He sobbed on her shoulder for a bit before she gently loosed herself from his arms to look at him. His eyes were red, swollen, and wet with tears. A few strands of his dark hair stuck to his face.

"Inu Yasha," she said softly as she tucked some of his hair behind his ears. "I want you to forgive yourself too. Can you do that for me?"

Inu Yasha stared down at the floor, silent. It was one thing to forgive someone else, but yourself? It would be easier to find all the Shikon fragments in one week! He thought about every nasty word, gesture, and thought he had ever had for Kagome and wondered if he could do what she had.

It was hard, but his pride gave him the strength to do it. If Kagome could do it, then he should be able to do it just the same! Besides, doing so would feel so much better; it would put his mind at some ease.

"Yes," he responded after a while. "I can. I can and I do."

If Kagome had been at least a hanyou like him, he could've sworn he'd been pounced by her. She hugged him so tight that he nearly suffocated. Inu Yasha could feel a little color rising to his face, as well as to other places, from her being so close and him being… well, underdressed. He had been so caught up in their conversation that he had forgotten that most of his clothes were missing.

"Uh, Kagome?" he smiled, a little embarrassed.

"Yes?" she replied. "Can I…uh… get some clothes on?"

She laughed that sweet laugh of hers.

"Of course you can, but…" she paused, a red shade flowing into her face.

"But what?"

"But… well,…" she blushed even more. "I -I think you're kinda… handsome… without them."

*BOOM!*

Inu Yasha facefaulted hard. He couldn't believe what had just come out of Kagome's mouth.

"Are you saying that 'cause I'm human right now?" His eyelid twitched oddly.

"No," she giggled. "I mean that all the time. It's not like this is the first time I've seen you without your top covered."

"And this," he grinned, pointing to her semi- open nightshirt. "is not the first time I've seen you with your top exposed either!"

Kagome looked down and noticed that ¾ of her cleavage were open to his view. She immediately covered herself, then glared at him, mortified.

"Why you-"

Inu Yasha gulped.

"OSUWARI!!!"

*CRASH!!!!*

Despite being flattened into the floor, Inu Yasha lifted his head up and laughed. Kagome couldn't help but join in.

"I guess I pretty much asked for that!" he shook his head, grinning.

"Yeah! You definitely did!" Kagome giggled as she helped him to his knees.

"But you have to admit," he said. "It's true. We've both gotten eyefuls of each other."

"True, so I guess we're even on that matter."

"Kagome?" his laughter melted into a warm smile.

"Yes?"

"I love you."

"I love you t-"

Inu Yasha tilted her face gently, cutting her off with a warm, sweet kiss. Instead of struggling, she gave into and wrapped her arms around his neck. Their first kiss, and definitely not their last.

*********************************************

Outside the apartment door, Sango and Chikara were glaring daggers at Miroku and Shippo, who had their ears pressed up against the door.

"Do you hear anything, Shippo?" the monk whispered.

"Not now," Shippo replied quietly. "It sounded like they were crying first, but then they were laughing. Now I can't hear a thing."

"Knock it off, you two." Sango griped. "Let them have some damn privacy for a change. They need it."

"Yeah," Chikara chipped in. She reached out and grabbed Shippo by the tail and dragged him over to where she was sitting. "Leave my parents alone."

Reluctantly, Miroku peeled his ear away from the door and sat with the others. He didn't know how long they'd be out here, but he hoped it would be for all night. It was cold out here with no fire!

**************************************************************** ***********************

The next morning, everyone woke up nice and refreshed. After an hour or so of kissing, Inu Yasha and Kagome had called the others back in for the night and settled down. He had rather hesitantly slept on the bed next to Miroku, but was all the better for it; he hadn't slept that well for quite some time!

With the Shikon shard in their possession, they decided to do some sightseeing before heading back to Japan. They would, however, have to take several precautions to disguise themselves so as not to be spotted by the police, who were still looking for the red-eyed killer from the day before. Inu Yasha pulled his floppy cap down over eyes and discreetly asked Kagome if she could braid his hair. She smiled and did so willingly. Everyone dressed in completely different clothes and got ready for the day.

"Where should we go?" asked Shippo anxiously.

Chikara pulled out her tour map and scanned it carefully.

"We could try the marina." she said.

"How about an ice cream shop?" Kagome grinned.

"What's ice cream?" Inu Yasha blinked confusedly.

"You'll see!" Kagome giggled.

They headed for a little shop where there were big, windowed fridges with colorful containers inside.

"Ok, guys." Kagome smiled. "What're your favorite flavors?"

"Flavors?" Sango blinked.

"Mine's strawberry!" Chikara grinned.

"There are different kinds of ice cream," Kagome explained. "and they all taste great! See? Each color is a different flavor."

"What's that brown one over here?" Miroku pointed.

"That one's chocolate," said Kagome. "It's my favorite flavor."

"Isn't chocolate for royalty only?" the monk blinked.

"Not in this time period!"

"Hey, Kagome!" Shippo pressed his nose against the glass as he pointed. "What's that green one over there with the brown spots?"

"Mint chocolate chip" Chikara answered between licks of her cone.

"Is there one in cherry flavor?" Sango peeked into the glass.

"Right over here." Kagome pointed.

They paid for their treats and sat down at the tables just outside the shop. Inu Yasha sniffed at his black raspberry treat before tasting it.

"Wow!" he mused. "This stuff is really good! Better than ramen!"

"Buddha would find enlightenment with this treat!" Miroku laughed.

"Delicious!" cried Shippo before he dived into his green and brown confection. "This is so good! I wish we never had to go back to our time!"

Everyone stopped in mid-munch and sighed. As full of wonders as this time period was, they still missed their distant homeland. At least they had had a chance to visit this world at least once.

After their treat, they visited a couple of stores to buy souvenirs. It took a lot of encouragement, but eventually, Inu Yasha allowed Kagome and the others to take photographs of him. The only person that didn't get any pictures of her taken was Chikara. Inu Yasha picked up on this almost immediately.

"I don't belong here." she answered when the subject was brought up. "And Kagome's parents should not know that I exist until the right time. That's why I can't have my picture taken here. I'm sorry."

The group returned home after a long day of gallivanting. They dropped themselves on the beds and floor while chatting away about their adventures in this strange, bright world. Tomorrow would be their last day in America, and no one wanted to forget any of it.

That night, after everyone was asleep, Kagome snuck out of bed and crawled over to where Inu Yasha was sleeping. His nose twitched, and he opened his eyes.

"Hi." Kagome whispered.

"I knew you were awake." He whispered back. "I could hear your movements."

"Really?" she smiled warmly.

"Yes."

"You didn't take your braid out."

"I know. I was hoping you would do it."

"Me?"

"Yeah. Your fingers feel nice on my head."

Kagome blushed deeply. It was rare for Inu Yasha to ask for favors, so she almost jumped at opportunities like this.

"Come sit down on the floor." she said. "I don't want Miroku to wake up."

Inu Yasha complied and sat on the floor with his back to her. Slowly, she tugged the elastic free and began unraveling his hair. Inu Yasha was so relaxed that Kagome's soft giggle caught him by surprise.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"You're purring." she replied.

"Dog demons do not purr!" he gave her a fake evil glance.

"You do."

"Do not."

"Do too!"

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

"Oo! I do not!"

"Either way, it's obvious you like it." she gave up.

"I won't deny that." He snickered.

"You're all set, Inu Yasha."

"Thank you," he said as he carefully crawled back into bed. "Good night."

"Good night"

They stared at one another for one long moment. Inu Yasha twitched his ears, listening for any sign of someone else waking up. He leaned forward and kissed Kagome sweetly.

"Good night." he repeated.

"Good night." she whispered as she crawled back into bed.

~~~~~

I know some of you (laz-chan in particular!) have been dying for them to kiss. Your prayers have been answered! I hope everyone liked this chapter! As usual, let me know what you think!