InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Love At First Sight ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sesshomaru, Lord of the Western Lands, walked through the forests of his dwelling, striking fear into the hearts of all who crossed his path or saw him. A little human girl named Rin was skipping along behind him, taking in the sight of all that was around her. She adored Sesshomaru, and stayed by his side at all times. Thieves slaughtered her family, and Sesshomaru took her in because he felt sorry for her. Which is unusual, because he usually only cared about himself, not caring what happened to others. But this girl found a way into his heart, and made him show compassion for her. When Sesshomaru was badly injured by Inuyasha's ultimate attack, the Wind Scar, Rin brought him food and water until he was recovered. Later, wolves killed Rin. Sesshomaru had smelled her blood and recognized whose it was. He went to investigate and found Rin lying dead in the middle of the path. Seeing the demons of the underworld about to take her soul. He used his sword, the Tenseiga, to destroy them. However, in doing so he also revived Rin's soul, bringing her back to life. So now, he'd stop at nothing to protect her, and Rin followed him wherever he went. Meanwhile, a little imp called Jaken was trailing along behind Sesshomaru and Rin, grumbling to himself. He hated humans. Thought they were worthless to demons. Ever since Sesshomaru started taking care of Rin, he'd been demoted to second best, and mistreated by both of them.
“Damn human… Why did she need to come along with us anyway? We should've left her there to die,” he grumbled to himself. Sesshomaru, being a full demon, heard very clearly what Jaken said and stopped in his tracks, waiting for the little imp to come closer. Rin stopped skipping, and looked up at Sesshomaru.
“Why are we stopping, Lord Sesshomaru?” she asked in her little voice. Jaken kept walking. As he walked close to Sesshomaru, he kicked Jaken with as much force as possible. Jaken was shocked by this sudden attack by his master.
“What did you do that for?” asked Jaken innocently. Sesshomaru glared at him with amber eyes.
“For insulting Rin. If I hear one more complaint from you about Rin, you'll get an even worse punishment then just being kicked! Do I make myself clear?” asked Sesshomaru icily. Slowly, Jaken nodded. Sesshomaru continued walking down the path, with Rin at his side.
“Where are we going now, my Lord?” she asked. Sesshomaru looked down at her and smiled.
“We're going home Rin. It's been a long day and you should get some rest. And by the looks of it, we're almost there,” he replied gently. Rin smiled and huddled closer to Sesshomaru's kimono. It was very cold out that night. Rin shivered a little. Sesshomaru noticed her shiver, and asked, “Are you cold?” Rin nodded. He picked the little girl up and held her close to his chest. He had a fluffy that went over his shoulder, and Rin always used it to keep warm in cold weather. She smiled and snuggled up with the fluffy. Slowly, she started to fall asleep. Why does she get the warmth? It's not fair, thought Jaken bitterly.
Sesshomaru's castle came into view; they were almost home. Sesshomaru ran at his full demon speed to the castle, and within a few minutes, he was at the door. Jaken was left far behind, and swore to himself as he walked to the castle, alone. Sesshomaru, with his free hand, pushed open the large doors, and walked inside, Rin still asleep in his arms. That imp doesn't deserve to sleep in my castle, but I'll leave the door open for him anyway, thought Sesshomaru. He walked down the long hallway and came to a grand staircase. He walked up the stairs slowly, careful not to wake the sleeping Rin. When he made it to the top, he continued down the hall until he got to the room he knew to be Rin's. He stepped inside and placed Rin on the bed, tucking the blankets under her so she wouldn't get cold during the night. Rin smiled in her sleep and turned over onto her side. Sesshomaru smiled then exited the room, making his way to his study, which was down the hall from Rin's room. He walked into his study, and closed the door. This was where he read, and thought to himself about the day's events.
“Poor Rin… she needs a mother, not some demon pretending to be her father. What am I talking about? I'm too busy to find her a mother, let alone get married. Oh well, I'll figure out this problem sooner or later,” he said to himself tiredly. Meanwhile, down-stairs, Jaken, grumbling to himself about how incompetant humans were, walked into the castle, closing the doors behind him.
The next morning, Rin woke up in her room, only to find that Sesshomaru wasn't there watching over her. She jumped out of her bed and ran to Sesshomaru's bedroom. He wasn't there. She checked his study. He wasn't there either. As Rin ran all over the castle looking for Sesshomaru, she was beginning to panic.
“Sesshomaru-sama, where are you?” she shouted worriedly. This woke Jaken up, annoying him greatly. He opened his bedroom door and shouted back to Rin, who was down-stairs at the time, “SHUT UP, I'M TRYING TO GET SOME SLEEP!”
“JAKEN, HAVE YOU SEEN SESSHOMARU-SAMA AT ALL THIS MORNING?” Rin shouted back.
“NO! HE PROBABLY WENT OUT TO GO FOR A WALK IN THE FOREST OR SOMETHING! SO SHUT UP AND GO BACK TO BED UNTIL HE GETS BACK!” screamed Jaken, irritated.
“FINE I WILL!” Rin ran back upstairs and stomped back to her room. Jaken's room was next to hers, and she saw Jaken watching her go back to her room from his bedroom door. Rin slapped him, walked back into her room, and slammed the door. Jaken rubbed his cheek, which stung from the force of Rin's smack.
“Ignorant child…” he mumbled to himself. He slammed his bedroom door and went back to bed.
As Jaken said, Sesshomaru was walking around in the forest, trying to rid himself of all worries of finding Rin a mother. It wasn't working very well.
“There must be SOME human woman around here that would want to be Rin's mother. But I don't see any. Actually, I hope I don't find one, because I REALLY don't want to have to get married to a mortal. But if I need to, I will to make Rin happy,” He said to himself. He continued walking through the forest, half hoping, and half not hoping, that he'd find a human woman that would want to be Rin's adoptive mother. A few minutes later, Sesshomaru heard a scream echo through the forest. He grabbed the handle of the Tokijin, the only sword he had that could actually kill (the Tenseiga could only heal), ready to fight whatever uttered the scream. He sensed a demon nearby. Then he sensed something else; a human. And it was coming from the same area the demon was.
“I can't believe I'm going to save a human… but they shouldn't be in my forest anyway. After I save them, I'll kill them myself.” He took off in the direction the scream came from, well prepared for the demon.
When he got to where the demon and the human were, he looked around for the demon he sensed; there was none to be found. But he did see the human. Sesshomaru's eyes opened wide and his jaw dropped open slightly when he saw the human. It was a woman; a beautiful young woman with long, black hair and brown eyes. She was cowering on the ground, with her hands over her head. She was shivering. Not because she was cold, but because she was afraid. Sesshomaru looked at her with familiarity. He had seen her before; he knew he had. He walked over to her to see if she was okay. But he kept his sword out, because the scent of a demon nearby was strong. He kneeled down next to her and looked at her beautiful face. She looked up and gazed into Sesshomaru's amber eyes. She smiled a little bit, even though she knew Sesshomaru was a demon. She knew because she had met him before.
“Are you okay?” asked Sesshomaru. The girl nodded.
“Yeah… how did you find me?” asked the girl.
“I heard you scream. What made you scream anyway?”
“A demon… and I have a feeling it's still here.” No sooner had the girl said this, a large demon with bat wings flew out of the trees and grabbed the girl's shoulders with its claws. She shrieked in pain as the sharp claws pierced her flesh. Sesshomaru jumped into the air and cut the demon's wings off with the Tokijin.
“Leave her alone!” he screamed. The demon fell to the ground, unable to stay up in the air without its wings, and roared in anger. It still had the girl in its claws and she was trying to escape its grasp. But it only made the claws dig into her skin even further. With one more slash of his sword, Sesshomaru cut the demon's head off, killing it. The claws loosened their grip considerably, allowing the girl to escape. Sesshomaru, whose clothes were splattered with blood from the demon, put the Tokijin back at his belt. The girl's eyes welled up with tears, and she ran up to him and hugged him. Sesshomaru fought not to hug her back, but it didn't work as well as he'd hoped. Why does this woman look so familiar? I've seen her before, thought Sesshomaru.
“Thank you for saving me, Sesshomaru. I don't know how I could ever repay you,” the girl sobbed out gratefully. Sesshomaru smiled a little.
“You don't have to repay me. Wait… How did you know my name?” asked Sesshomaru. The girl looked into Sesshomaru's eyes and said, “Because I've met you many times before. The name, `Kagome' ring a bell?” Sesshomaru's eyes widened when he heard that name. I knew I recognized her… This is the girl that travels with Inuyasha, thought Sesshomaru.
“You know Inuyasha, don't you?” asked Sesshomaru. It just rolled out of his mouth. He didn't know why he asked it, but his mind wanted him to, so he had to obey. Kagome nodded.
“Of course I do… He's your brother!” she said with a bit of a giggle in her voice. Sesshomaru grunted in disgust.
“I would hardly call that half breed my brother… He is weak, I am not,” stated Sesshomaru smugly.
“You really hate him, don't you?” questioned Kagome. Sesshomaru nodded.
“Yes. It is I who should wield Tetsusaiga, not he. Answer me this, for I am curious: what brings you to the Western Lands?” he asked curiously. Kagome looked at the ground sadly.
"Inuyasha … I saw him with Kikyo… I thought he loved me, but I guess I was wrong. So I came here because I thought that even you, Sesshomaru, would treat me better than that jerk ever would,” said Kagome tearfully. She leaned into Sesshomaru's chest and sobbed into his kimono. Sesshomaru wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back gently. He looked down at her and felt a feeling of warmth go through him. What's wrong with me? What is this strange feeling that I'm getting that makes my heart beat faster? Sesshomaru asked himself. After many minutes of just embracing each other, they finally let go. Kagome still had tears streaming down her cheeks, so Sesshomaru wiped them away gently with his hand. Kagome smiled, and put her hand over Sesshomaru's before he could pull it away after wiping away her tears. Sesshomaru looked at Kagome, a little surprised, and smiled. Kagome smiled back at him, and put her other hand on Sesshomaru's cheek. Sesshomaru couldn't believe how incredibly gentle Kagome's touch was. Kagome took her hands away from Sesshomaru and blushed. Sesshomaru coughed a little into his fist, then blushed a little. The blush was so faint, though, that Kagome could hardly see it. This girl is perfect. She's absolutely flawless. How could Inuyasha choose that dead bag of bones and clay over this girl? I must take her home with me; after all, she has nowhere else to go. She will make the perfect mother for Rin. Okay, here it goes, thought Sesshomaru, hoping that Kagome would say yes to his question.
“Kagome, I need to ask you something.”
“Okay, what do you want to ask me Sesshomaru-sama?” Sesshomaru gulped, and recited his question to Kagome.
“Will you go home with me? I could take care of you. And there's a little girl named Rin that I take care of that needs a woman such as yourself to take care of her whenever I'm away. Do you accept?” asked Sesshomaru hopefully. Kagome could hardly believe her ears. The demon that Inuyasha always told her was evil and dangerous was asking her to come with him! Twenty-four hours of traveling on her own paid off after all! She smiled and hugged him.
“Yes Sesshomaru-sama, I accept! I will come and live with you,” said Kagome happily.
Sesshomaru smiled, turned around, then knelt down on one knee, looking up at Kagome. Kagome was confused as to why he was doing this.
“What're you doing?” she asked.
“It's a long way to walk from here. Especially for a human. Get on my back, and I will take you there,” replied Sesshomaru. Kagome experienced a major case of deja vu just then. When she first met Inuyasha, he let her ride on his back to get from place to place. He only did this because she looked like Kikyo though. At first, he thought she WAS Kikyo, but later on, the village elder said she was just the reincarnation of the dead priestess. Kagome nodded and climbed onto Sesshomaru's back. Sesshomaru hitched Kagome's legs under his arms, so she wouldn't fall off while he was running.
“Oh, wait, let me pick up my bow and quiver. I might need them,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru nodded, and knelt back down, so Kagome could grab her bow and quiver of arrows. Kagome slung the quiver and bow over her shoulder, and then wrapped her arms around Sesshomaru's neck so she'd be more likely to stay on his back instead of falling off. As soon as she was ready, Sesshomaru ran at his full demon speed through the forest, weaving in and out of trees like a needle and string weaves in and out of fabric. He then jumped up through the leaves, seeming to fly above the trees. Kagome looked all around her and smiled. This reminded her of when she first met Inuyasha. She could see a large castle in the distance.
“Lord Sesshomaru, is that your castle over there?” she asked.
“Yes it is,” replied Sesshomaru, jumping from tree branch to tree branch to stay airborne.
“It's beautiful, Sesshomaru-sama,” said Kagome politely. Sesshomaru looked over his shoulder at her and smiled. Within a few minutes, they were back at his castle. He jumped down from the tree he was in and landed on his feet in front of the castle doors. He bent down, so Kagome could get off of his back. Kagome hopped off of his back and followed the height of the castle with her eyes, mouth wide open in awe. Sesshomaru walked up next to her and put his hand on her shoulder. Kagome shook off the shock from the size of the castle and looked at Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru smiled at her, then walked up to the doors, sliding them open. He held them open for Kagome, and bowed. Kagome was flattered by this demon's politeness, and curtsied as she walked inside.
“Wow, this place is huge! I'm going to get lost in here!” exclaimed Kagome. Sesshomaru merely laughed.
“Don't worry, once you get to know the place a little better, it will seem like the smallest place on Earth,” he said reassuringly. Kagome smiled and nodded.
“I hope you're right. Anyway, where's that little girl you were telling me about? I'd love to meet her,” said Kagome happily. Sesshomaru led Kagome to the foot of the stairs, and beckoned for Kagome to follow him up.
“She's probably still asleep. Come on, I'll take you up to meet her. I believe you've seen her a few times before, but haven't been introduced properly,” said Sesshomaru. Kagome followed Sesshomaru up the staircase, and the first thing she saw was a long hallway with doors on each side. At the end of the hall was a large door with strange patterns all over it: Sesshomaru's study. Sesshomaru pointed to that large door.
“That's my study. If I'm not in my sleeping quarters, that's where I'm most likely to be,” explained Sesshomaru.
“Got it! Hey which room is gonna be my room?” asked Kagome. Sesshomaru looked around at each of the doors, and pointed to the door on the left side of the study.
“That's your room right there. It's right across the hall from my room, and next to my study, so if you ever need anything, you can just let me know,” said Sesshomaru. Kagome smiled. My room is closest to both of Sesshomaru's? Well, at least I know I'll be able to find him easily if I need help with something, thought Kagome. Sesshomaru led her to a door that was decorated with pictures of cherry blossoms and clouds.
“This is Rin's room. And the room on the right side of hers is Jaken's room. You needn't worry about him, he's just a worthless imp that can't get anything right,” pointed out Sesshomaru. Kagome couldn't help but giggle at this. Sesshomaru took hold of the handle on Rin's door and slid the door open. There she was, asleep on top of her blankets. She must've been up earlier looking for me, thought Sesshomaru, feeling a little guilty that he had left Rin alone with Jaken. Kagome looked at the sleeping girl, and smiled.
“Aw, she's so cute!” whispered Kagome. Sesshomaru nodded, and walked up to Rin's bed, sitting on the edge of it. He put a hand on Rin's head and stroked her hair gently. Rin's eyelids fluttered open, and she looked up at Sesshomaru.
“Good morning, my Lord,” she said softly. Rin sat up, and rubbed her eyes tiredly. Sesshomaru smiled, and beckoned Kagome to come closer. Kagome walked over to the little girl's bed and knelt down next to it, smiling at Rin. Rin looked at Kagome, then back at Sesshomaru.
“Sesshomaru-sama, who is this pretty lady?” she asked.
“Rin, this is Kagome. She's going to be staying with us. She also offered to be your adoptive mother,” explained Sesshomaru. Rin brightened at this, and hugged Kagome.
“Thank you Kagome!” she squeaked happily. Kagome giggled and hugged back.
“It's a pleasure to meet you, Rin. I'm sure I'm going to like it here,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru smiled.
“Kagome, if you wish, I can give you a tour of the castle.”
“Thanks for the offer, Lord Sesshomaru. But I think I'll take a little nap. I haven't slept at all for a whole day,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru nodded. Kagome smiled, got up, and walked to her room. Sesshomaru followed her. Kagome noticed this and turned around to face him.
“Can I help you, my Lord?” she asked politely. Sesshomaru chuckled.
“No, I just wanted to say goodnight,” he replied. Kagome smiled, opened the door to her room, walked inside, then closed the door lightly. Sesshomaru stood outside the door, and smiled. I can't believe she actually agreed to stay with me, he thought to himself. He was about to walk back down the hall, when Kagome's door opened again. Sesshomaru turned to see why Kagome exited her room, but before he knew it, she fell into him, lips pressed softly against his. Sesshomaru's eyes were wide with surprise, but he soon closed them and wrapped his arms around Kagome, pulling her as close to him as possible. Rin was watching them from down the hall. Aw, that's so cute! Rin thought to herself, happily. Sesshomaru and Kagome kissed for about 5 minutes.
Kagome parted her lips from Sesshomaru's and opened her eyes slowly. Sesshomaru still had his eyes closed, but opened them a little bit, so he could see her face; she was smiling, and was bright red from blushing.
“Uhh…” started Sesshomaru.
“Goodnight my Lord. I'll see you later on,” said Kagome shyly. She walked slowly back to her room and closed the door softly.