InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Sesshomaru's Painful Ordeal ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sesshomaru walked into his study, and closed the door.
“That was interesting. There it is again, my heart is beating at a faster rate then normal. I now know what the feeling is. I'm falling for her, a mortal. And falling hard,” Sesshomaru said to himself. “I've never been kissed before. I like the feeling. I long for Kagome. All of a sudden, I feel like I'd do anything to make her mine. But what just occurred, I suppose she already IS mine.” Sesshomaru tried to read a scroll about the history of demons, but he was still stunned from the kiss he and Kagome shared, he could hardly read a word of it. So he decided he'd take a small nap too and walked to his room, closing the door behind him. He laid down on his bed and put his fluffy behind his head to use as a pillow. Soon, he was asleep.
Kagome tried to sleep, but couldn't. She couldn't stop thinking about that blissful moment between her and Sesshomaru a few minutes ago. She longed to feel those strong arms wrapped around her again. They gave her an overwhelming sense of comfort and safety. I believe I'm falling in love with a demon. I think I'll go see him and talk to him about what just happened between us, thought Kagome. She got out of bed and walked to Sesshomaru's study. She knocked on the doorframe: no answer. That just leaves his bedroom, concluded Kagome in her mind. She was about to knock on the doorframe again, when she noticed that the door was opened a crack. She slid the door open lightly, and what she saw brought a smile to her face. Sesshomaru was sleeping on his bed with his head on top of the fluffy, as if it was a pillow. How can anyone be so handsome? Do I dare go sleep next to him? Oh well, it's worth a shot, thought Kagome finally. She tiptoed up to Sesshomaru's bed and slowly got onto it. Before she could lie down, Sesshomaru opened his eyes a little bit and looked at her. He was surprised at what he saw. Kagome's breath got caught in her chest. He's going to tell me to get out I just know it, thought Kagome fearfully. Sesshomaru smiled.
“Something I can help you with?” asked Sesshomaru quietly.
“Well… uh… yeah. I can't sleep. This place is new to me and I'm not used to sleeping by myself in a strange new place. So I thought-“ Sesshomaru chuckled lightly, interrupting Kagome. She was actually relieved that she got interrupted.
“So you thought you'd come and sleep in here with me?” asked Sesshomaru, trying to hide the amusement is his voice. Kagome gulped, and nodded. Sesshomaru smiled at her, and moved over a little bit so there was room for Kagome to lie down next to him. Kagome smiled, and laid down next to Sesshomaru. Her heart was racing so fast that Sesshomaru could hear it clearly because of his heightened demon hearing. He turned over so he was facing Kagome. He wrapped one of his arms around her, and brushed the hair from her face with the other hand.
“How can anyone be so beautiful?” asked Sesshomaru. Kagome blushed and kissed him lightly and quickly on the lips. Sesshomaru enjoyed it even though it was short. But he wanted a kiss that was longer than that one and the first kiss they ever shared. Sesshomaru leaned in and pulled Kagome into a passionate kiss. Kagome closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around Sesshomaru's neck. Sesshomaru moved his hands to where the bottom of Kagome's shirt was. Kagome opened her eyes in surprise. (A/N: To those who are reading this part, Sesshomaru and Kagome are not going to do anything more than kiss). Sesshomaru opened his eyes and looked into hers, seeming to ask if it was okay. Kagome blinked in agreement, then closed her eyes again. Sesshomaru pulled Kagome's shirt up and rested both hands on her back, rubbing it gently. She's so warm. I never want this moment to end, he thought. Man, I hope this doesn't lead up to what I think it is, thought Kagome, slightly worried. After many long minutes of embracing each other and kissing, Kagome broke the kiss. They both opened their eyes slowly, smiling at each other. Kagome thought she saw Rin standing in the doorway out of the corner of her eye, but to her relief, when she checked, nothing was there. She snuggled closer to Sesshomaru and closed her eyes. Sesshomaru wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes as well. They promised themselves a nap, and they were going to keep it. Well now I know, she's as fond of me just as much as I'm fond of her, he alleged. A few moments after he thought this, he fell asleep with Kagome close next to him.
Two hours later, Kagome opened her eyes, and yawned quietly. She looked at the sleeping Sesshomaru next to her, and smiled, caressing his cheek gently with her hand. He may be a full demon, but he's much more of a gentleman then Inuyasha, thought Kagome. Sesshomaru felt Kagome's soft touch on his cheek, and opened his eyes halfway.
“Good morning, my Lord. Sleep well?” asked Kagome politely. Sesshomaru smiled.
“Yes, thank you. You don't have to call me `Lord' if you don't want to. You can just call me Sesshomaru. And you? How did you sleep?”
“I slept great, thank you,” replied Kagome. Sesshomaru opened his eyes all the way, and sat up. Kagome picked up his fluffy and rubbed her cheek against it. She was amazed at how soft it was.
“Here you go.” She put it over his shoulder. Sesshomaru wrapped it around his shoulder a couple of times so it would stay on, and got off the bed. Kagome got off the bed and stretched. Then she heard her stomach growl. She blushed with embarrassment and Sesshomaru just laughed.
“Are you hungry?” he asked. Kagome nodded. Sesshomaru smiled at her and took her by the hand.
“Come, let's go find something to eat.” As he led Kagome past Rin's door, Kagome asked him to stop for a moment. He stopped walking and waited patiently. Kagome knocked on Rin's door, and almost immediately, Rin opened it.
“Hi, Kagome!” she said happily. Kagome smiled.
“Hi, Rin. Would you like to go with Lord Sesshomaru and I on a little picnic?” Rin looked kind of confused, but she was smiling. “A picnic is where a group of people go outside, sit on a blanket, and eat food. People in my time go on picnics a lot if the weather is nice,” explained Kagome. Rin nodded.
“Okay, I'll go with you and Lord Sesshomaru on a picnic.”
“Very well,” said Sesshomaru. Rin took a blanket off of her bed and ran back to the others. Sesshomaru led Kagome and Rin outside and into the forest, where they looked around for some fruit and edible plants to eat. Finally, Rin spoke up, breaking the silence.
“I found some berries! I'll pick them,” she announced. Sesshomaru found some peaches, picked them, and gave them to Kagome so she could put them in her backpack.
“Okay, I think we have enough fruit. I have some more food in my backpack, so we have enough food now,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru and Rin nodded and followed Kagome to a nearby field. When Kagome found a nice patch of land, she laid out the blanket that Rin brought and sat down on it. Sesshomaru sat down across from her; Rin sat down next to Sesshomaru.
“What do we have to eat other then the food we just picked, Kagome?” asked Rin. Kagome took all the food out of her backpack and placed it on the blanket in front of them. And let me tell you, it was a lot of food. Rin licked her lips in hunger.
“It looks so good! Can we eat now?” asked Rin eagerly. Sesshomaru smiled slightly and looked at Kagome, his eyes asking the same question. Kagome giggled and nodded.
“Of course we can. Help yourself,” she said. Sesshomaru chose an apple out of the pile of food and bit into it, and Rin chose a few berries. Kagome helped herself to a few chips that she had in her backpack. Sesshomaru, being from the Feudal era, had no idea what chips were.
“What're those?” he asked. Kagome smiled and offered him some.
“They're called potato chips. They're really good, you should try some,” she said. Sesshomaru took the small group of chips that Kagome gave him and put one in his mouth. He swallowed it and ate one more.
“They're pretty good,” he said after he swallowed his second chip. Kagome put the chip bag aside, reached into her backpack and pulled out a bag of what looked like noodles then a small pan and a few bowls. Rin and Sesshomaru were curious about what it was.
“What's that, Kagome?” asked Rin.
“It's called ramen. This kind is chicken-flavored. There's enough for all of us, so do you want to try some? It was Inuyasha's favorite.” Kagome stopped herself there, because mentioning Inuyasha made her feel like crying. Sesshomaru and Rin nodded and Kagome got up to find some sticks to make a fire on. Once she found some, she arranged it in a campfire-like fashion and lit a match, lighting the sticks on fire. Sesshomaru watched her the whole time. Kagome poured some water from her water bottle and the ramen into the pan, and held it over the fire, moving the pan around in a small circle slowly. A few minutes later, the ramen was all cooked. She poured some in each bowl and handed one to Sesshomaru and one to Rin, keeping one for herself. Kagome handed each of them chopsticks so they wouldn't have to eat with their hands.
“Dig in. It's good,” insisted Kagome. Sesshomaru swirled some of the ramen around his chopsticks and put it in his mouth. It tasted salty, but it was supposed to. Then Rin tried some of hers. She swallowed, and smiled.
“Wow, this is great! It's the most delicious thing I've ever tasted!” said Rin happily. Sesshomaru swallowed his bite of ramen and nodded in agreement.
“It's great, Kagome. Where did you get the chips and ramen from, anyway? I've never seen it around here,” said Sesshomaru, surprised at how good the ramen tasted.
“I'm glad you like it. I got it from my era. In Tokyo,” replied Kagome, taking another bite of her ramen. Sesshomaru looked surprised at her answer. Her era? What does she mean? Wondered Sesshomaru.
“What do you mean `from your era'?” asked Sesshomaru. Oh yeah, that's right, he doesn't know I'm not from the Feudal era, thought Kagome.
“I forgot to tell you that I can travel back and forth between this time and mine. I got the chips and ramen from my time,” answered Kagome. Sesshomaru still looked puzzled.
“How can you travel from this time and yours? I didn't even know such a thing was possible,” he said.
“I'll show you if you want. My world, I mean,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru considered this, but when he looked at Rin, seeing that she had a pleading expression on her face, he nodded. Kagome smiled and got to her feet, putting the remaining food and the blanket into her backpack. Sesshomaru and Rin got to their feet as well.
“So how do we get to your time?” asked Rin.
“The Bone-Eater's well. It's near Kaede's village,” replied Kagome.
“I think I know where that is. But I don't know if I can carry the two of you at the same time,” said Sesshomaru.
“Wait, don't you have a dragon? We can ride your dragon,” suggested Kagome. Sesshomaru nodded.
“Good idea. Ah-Un, come!” he said. His dragon came in a matter of seconds. It landed next to him and looked at him, each of its four eyes seeming to ask “What is it, my Lord?”
“We need you to take us to the Bone-Eater's well. Can you do this?” asked Sesshomaru. The two-headed dragon nodded, and turned so Sesshomaru, Kagome, and Rin could get on its back. Sesshomaru got on Ah-Un, and held out his hand to help Kagome up. Kagome took hold of Sesshomaru's hand, and got onto the dragon's back. She held out her hand for Rin, Rin grabbed it, then climbed onto Ah-Un, sitting behind Kagome and Sesshomaru.
“Hold on tight, Kagome and Rin. The last thing I need is for one of you to fall off,” ordered Sesshomaru. Kagome wrapped her arms around Sesshomaru's stomach and rested her head on his back, cheek rubbing against his long hair. Sesshomaru looked over his shoulder at Kagome and smiled a little. Rin held onto Kagome's waist so she wouldn't fall off either.
“Are you ready?” asked Sesshomaru.
“Yeah,” said Kagome and Rin. Sesshomaru took hold of the reins attached to each dragon's muzzle, and whipped them against the dragon's neck to signal it that they were ready. The dragon roared in its throats, and took to the air. Kagome looked to the side of her and saw the forest below them. They were high above the trees now, but she could still see the ground clearly and she could see miles into the distance.
“Are you alright, Kagome?” asked Rin. Kagome nodded.
“Yeah, I'm just admiring the view from up here,” she replied to Rin. Rin nodded and looked ahead. She saw mountains in the distance. Kagome removed her arms from around Sesshomaru's stomach and put her hands over his shoulders instead. Sesshomaru looked over his shoulder at her.
“Hehe, I figured this would be more comfortable for you,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru smiled then turned his head, looking forward once again.
“That's okay. I wasn't feeling uncomfortable the other way, but I like this better,” he said. Kagome blushed a little, and smiled.
Meanwhile, on the ground, Inuyasha and Kikyo were walking together. Kikyo had her head resting on Inuyasha's shoulder, and Inuyasha was smiling down at her. Then he stopped walking, and looked around.
“What's wrong, Inuyasha?” asked Kikyo in her cold, eerie voice. Inuyasha sensed something. A demonic aura. And it was close.
“I sense a demonic aura nearby,” replied Inuyasha. Inuyasha whipped out his sword, the Tetsusaiga, and sniffed the air, trying to pick up the scent of the demon he sensed. He looked up, and what did he see? None other than Sesshomaru's dragon with Sesshomaru on its back.
“Sesshomaru… what's he doing here?” Inuyasha asked himself. Then he saw a human girl sitting behind Sesshomaru. When he realized who it was, his eyes opened wide in shock.
“That girl sitting behind him… It's Kagome!” exclaimed Inuyasha. Kikyo took a sacred arrow out of her quiver, and placed it at the ready in her bow. She aimed it, supposedly, at Ah-Un. Inuyasha may hate Sesshomaru, but I'm not aiming at Sesshomaru or the dragon. I'm aiming at Kagome, thought Kikyo.
“Don't miss, Kikyo. For god sakes, don't miss,” said Inuyasha. He didn't want Kikyo to shoot Kagome instead of Sesshomaru. Kikyo pulled back on the string of her bow and let the arrow shoot towards Kagome.
Sesshomaru could smell Inuyasha and Kikyo below. He also sensed the power of the sacred arrow that Kikyo shot. He turned Ah-Un in a different direction so the arrow would shoot right past them.
“Sesshomaru, what's going on?!” exclaimed Kagome. Sesshomaru saw the arrow shoot past them, narrowly missing.
“What the?!” Kagome looked down and saw Inuyasha with Kikyo, who had her bow still out in front of her like she just shot the arrow. Kagome narrowed her eyes in anger. Sesshomaru looked behind him and down at Inuyasha and Kikyo.
“Inuyasha… I should've known…” said Sesshomaru icily. Kagome shook her head.
“No, it wasn't Inuyasha… it was Kikyo… Inuyasha can't even use a bow,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru looked at Kagome worriedly. Why is it that arrow didn't redirect its path towards me? I thought sacred arrows redirected back to their targets if they missed? Unless… that's only true for demons. Which means… Kikyo didn't intend to hit me. She intended for that arrow to hit Kagome! Realized Sesshomaru. Down below, Kikyo strung a new arrow into her bow.
“This one won't miss!” shouted Kikyo angrily. She shot the arrow towards Kagome again, only this time, Sesshomaru got in the way. Right when the arrow was about to hit Kagome, he turned Ah-Un around so Kagome was safe behind him. The arrow hit him in the chest, narrowly missing his heart. He screamed in pain. Kagome gasped.
“Sesshomaru!” screamed Kagome and Rin. Damn, I missed again, thought Kikyo. Inuyasha grinned.
“Yes! You got him, Kikyo!” he said happily. Kikyo smiled at him, trying to hide her disappointment about the arrow not hitting Kagome. Ah-Un landed about 12 feet away from Inuyasha and Kikyo. Kagome jumped off of the dragon and helped the injured Sesshomaru off of its back. Sesshomaru was too weak to even move. The spiritual powers of the arrow were beginning to take effect. Kagome laid Sesshomaru down on the ground next to his dragon, and glared at Inuyasha and Kikyo.
“What the heck are you doing here?!” she screamed at Inuyasha.
“What am I doing here? Just going for a walk,” said Inuyasha.
“LIKE I'M GOING TO BELIEVE THAT! KIKYO, WHY DID YOU SHOOT SESSHOMARU?!” screamed Kagome, louder then before. Sesshomaru's eyes were starting to close. Rin was sobbing over him. Kagome took her bow from over her shoulder and slung one of her own sacred arrows into it.
“Kikyo, you died once, and you're going to die again!” Kagome shot the arrow at Kikyo and it hit her right in the heart. Kikyo screamed and she fell to the ground, dead as a doornail. Since Urasue brought her back using demonic powers, she was, technically, part demon. Inuyasha glared at Kagome.
“What'd you do that for?!” he shouted. Kagome just glared at him, slung another arrow into her bow and pointed it at him. Inuyasha backed away from her slightly, eyes shifting back and forth between her and the slowly dying Sesshomaru. What am I going to do? I like Kagome a lot, but I couldn't possibly hurt her, thought Inuyasha. He sheathed the Tetsusaiga, looked at the ground, and closed his eyes.
“Go on, Kagome. I won't stop you. Take the shot,” he said softly. Kagome's eyes welled up with tears, and she got ready to shoot the arrow at Inuyasha. Sesshomaru opened one eye, and watched Kagome. Is she going to kill Inuyasha? If so, why? Inuyasha may not love Kagome like he loves Kikyo, but he'd still never try to hurt her, thought Sesshomaru. Inuyasha braced himself for the arrow to pierce through his heart. To his surprise, nothing came. He opened his eyes, and looked at Kagome. She was on her knees, crying into her hands. Her bow and the arrow she was going to shoot Inuyasha with were on the ground next to her. Inuyasha looked down at Kagome with his heart heavy with guilt. Why did I have to hurt Kagome by going out with Kikyo? That must be why she's with Sesshomaru, to try to make me feel guilty about all that I put her through. And now, Sesshomaru is dying, and it's all my fault. If I hadn't told Kikyo about how much I hated Sesshomaru, he wouldn't be dying, Kagome wouldn't be so upset, and I wouldn't feel so guilty, thought Inuyasha to himself. Inuyasha walked up to Kagome and knelt next to her. Kagome looked up at him, tears streaming down her cheeks. She hugged Inuyasha, and sobbed into his shoulder. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her and hugged her back.
“I'm sorry Kagome… I didn't mean to hurt you like this,” apologized Inuyasha guiltily.
“Inuyasha, I know you love Kikyo more than me, so I don't think we should be any more than friends,” said Kagome. Inuyasha looked into her eyes, and nodded.
“Okay, that's fine,” he agreed. It was a groan from Sesshomaru that made Kagome turn around abruptly. The arrow narrowly missed his heart, but he was still badly injured. He was dying. Rin had her head in her arms, lying on Sesshomaru's stomach, sobbing uncontrollably. Kagome crawled over to Sesshomaru and Rin and propped Sesshomaru's head up on her lap.
“Sesshomaru…” she started. Sesshomaru opened his eyes halfway, and looked into hers. With the little strength he had left, he spoke.
“Don't apologize. It was I who was trying to protect you,” he said weakly. Inuyasha and Kagome looked confused.
“Protect her? From what?” asked Inuyasha. Sesshomaru shifted his gaze to Inuyasha.
“From the sacred arrow that is slowly killing me right now, fool… it was aimed at her.”
“Aimed at me? How did you know that?” asked Kagome tearfully.
“When I dodged that first arrow, it didn't redirect its path like I expected it would. Sacred arrows usually redirect themselves back towards their target if they miss, and this time it didn't. Then I realized that's only true for demons, but Kagome is human. That's why it didn't redirect back to me… it was aimed at Kagome all along…” replied Sesshomaru. Inuyasha's eyes were narrowed in anger and pain. He trusted Kikyo, and she betrayed him again by trying to kill Kagome with a sacred arrow.
“I see… and the second arrow she shot was aimed, again, at Kagome, and you turned the dragon so it wouldn't hit her, and it hit you instead,” he said angrily. Sesshomaru nodded weakly. Kagome saw a trickle of blood come down the corner of his mouth.
“We have to do something, he's dying!” she said emotionally. Inuyasha reached for the arrow sticking out of Sesshomaru's chest, but it just repelled him.
“Damn…” he said. Kagome remembered when she pulled Kikyo's sacred arrow out of Inuyasha, who was bound to a tree by a spell for fifty years. Since she was a priestess, she might just be able to pull the arrow from Sesshomaru as well. She grabbed hold of the arrow in Sesshomaru, but didn't pull. Even so, Sesshomaru winced in pain.
“What're you doing?” he asked.
“Saving your life,” replied Kagome. Sesshomaru's eyes closed. She squeezed the arrow firmly, and it vanished! That was the same thing she did when I had Kikyo's arrow in me! Remembered Inuyasha. Rin looked up, and gasped when she saw that the arrow was gone. Sesshomaru still had his eyes closed, and he wasn't breathing. Kagome buried her face into his fluffy and cried. I was too late. He was dead before I got rid of the arrow, thought Kagome. Rin cried over Sesshomaru as well, her tears falling on his clothes. Inuyasha hated Sesshomaru and couldn't care less what happened to him. He put his hand on Kagome's back and rubbed it gently, trying to get her to calm down. Sesshomaru's eyelids quivered a little bit, and he took an intake of air. Kagome felt Sesshomaru's heart beating again, and looked up. He opened his eyes, and looked at her. He took her hand in his.
“Kagome…” he said softly. Kagome smiled at him.
“Sesshomaru…” she said just as softly. Sesshomaru sat up, and Kagome wrapped her arms around him, hugging him. Sesshomaru hugged back. Rin hugged Sesshomaru as well.
“My Lord, you're alive!” she exclaimed.
“Yes Rin, I'm alive,” said Sesshomaru. Inuyasha forced a smile.
“Welcome back, Sesshomaru,” he said, trying to hide the disappointment in his voice. Sesshomaru said nothing. Kagome pulled away from Sesshomaru, and looked deep into his eyes. Inuyasha was watching intently. Kagome leaned in and kissed Sesshomaru, to Inuyasha's surprise and anger, on the lips. She and Sesshomaru closed their eyes and kissed each other for several minutes. Rin and Inuyasha watched. Kagome parted her lips from Sesshomaru's and blushed. Sesshomaru smiled. Inuyasha blinked in shock. Kagome looked at him, and blushed even more. Darn, why did I have to do that in front of him? He must hate me now, thought Kagome. Inuyasha looked at Kagome, then at Sesshomaru, then at Kagome again.
“Are… you two going out with each other?” he asked, afraid to hear the answer. Kagome blushed and nodded.
“So what if we are?” asked Sesshomaru.
“I didn't say anything was wrong with that. I just found it a bit surprising, that's all,” replied Inuyasha. But deep down, he was furious. Sesshomaru nodded.
“So, where were you three going, anyway?” asked Inuyasha.
“To my time. Sesshomaru wanted to see what it's like there,” replied Kagome. Inuyasha nodded.
“I'll let you go then. I'll see ya later, Kagome. Nice to see you again,” he said. Kagome nodded.
“You too. Bye Inuyasha. Sesshomaru, can I steer Ah-Un? I've never ridden a dragon before,” said Kagome.
“Of course. Because I don't think Ah-Un has any idea where the Bone-Eater's well is,” replied Sesshomaru. Ah-Un growled. Kagome smiled and got onto the dragon's back, grasping the reigns firmly. Sesshomaru got on behind her, and Rin got on behind Sesshomaru.
“Rin, hold onto my kimono. I don't want you to get hurt,” said Sesshomaru. Rin nodded.
“Okay, my Lord,” she said. Rin held onto the back of Sesshomaru's kimono and rested her cheek against the fluffy. Sesshomaru smiled, and wrapped his arms around Kagome from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder. Kagome felt herself blushing wildly. She felt a little uncomfortable, but shrugged the feeling off. Kagome whipped the reigns against the dragon's two necks and they took to the air.