InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Kagome's World ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome saw the Bone-Eater's well just below them and brought Ah-Un down for a landing. Rin hopped off of the dragon and peeked into the well.
“It sure is deep, Kagome. Are you sure it's safe?” she asked. Kagome nodded.
“Don't worry, I travel back and forth between my time and this time a lot. It's perfectly safe,” she said reassuringly to Rin and Sesshomaru. As Rin climbed onto the edge of the well to get a closer look into the dark depths of the well, she lost her balance and fell into it. She screamed, and then she could be heard no more. Sesshomaru looked down into the well and checked to see if he could hear Rin's heartbeat. He couldn't.
“What happened to her?” asked Sesshomaru with a hint of worry in his voice.
“Don't worry Sesshomaru, she's okay. Follow me,” said Kagome. Kagome jumped into the well, and disappeared into the blackness. I guess I have no choice, thought Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru jumped into the well, and felt himself going through water. Wait a minute, I thought this was a dry well? Wondered Sesshomaru to himself. A few moments later, he felt solid ground beneath his feet. There was no water around him at all. Rin ran up to him and tugged at the leg of his kimono.
“Come on, Lord Sesshomaru. We're here,” she said excitedly. Sesshomaru looked up and saw the opening of the well. But there wasn't any sunlight like there had been before. Kagome climbed out of the well with Sesshomaru and Rin behind her. Sesshomaru looked around, and noticed that they were in some kind of small building.
“Where are we?” he asked. Kagome led him and Rin outside, and what Sesshomaru saw amazed him. They were no longer in a forest. They were in a courtyard with a house on the other side.
“Welcome to my house, Sesshomaru,” said Kagome. Sesshomaru walked around the courtyard, examining the area carefully. Kagome was showing Rin the different types of flowers in the garden. Rin's eyes sparkled with wonderment at the beautiful place she was now in. As Sesshomaru looked around at everything, one thing in the courtyard caught his eye: it was the Sacred Tree. The very same tree that Sesshomaru knew Inuyasha was bound to for fifty years by Kikyo's sacred arrow. He placed his hand to the bark and looked up through the leaves of the tree. Kagome walked up to him and put her hand on his shoulder. Sesshomaru looked over at her.
“Is this the tree that I think it is?” he asked. Kagome nodded.
“Yes. Ever since that day I saw Inuyasha pinned to this tree in your era, I never looked at it the same again,” she said. Sesshomaru took his hand away from the bark of the tree and started back towards the shrine well.
“Sesshomaru, are you alright? Don't you want to stay a while?” asked Kagome. Sesshomaru turned to face Kagome, and he could tell from her disappointed expression that she expected him to stay for a little while. Finally, Sesshomaru nodded. Kagome smiled and took him by the hand.
“Come on, I want you and Rin to meet my family,” she said.
“Very well. I'm just curious about whether they've heard of me,” replied Sesshomaru calmly. Kagome nodded slightly.
“Yeah, they've heard about you. When Inuyasha and I were still going out, I told my family about the feudal era and the people I met there. I brought you up a couple of times because I was surprised at how you were Inuyasha's brother when I first saw you,” replied Kagome. Sesshomaru didn't say anything, and Kagome took this to mean that he wanted her to continue.
“They seemed uneasy when I told them that you were a full demon, especially my grandfather. But now that you're here in person, and I'm with you, they should change their thoughts about you,” finished Kagome. Sesshomaru nodded and followed Kagome into the house.
“Mom, Grandpa, Sota, I'm home!” announced Kagome. Almost immediately, a young boy around 8 years old with black hair and brown eyes ran down the stairs and up to Kagome. She bent down and hugged her little brother.
“Kagome, you're back! You've been gone for three days!” exclaimed Sota. Sesshomaru smiled. Kagome's brother must really respect her, he thought. Sota looked at Rin, then at Sesshomaru, then back at Kagome again.
“Who are these two? More friends from the feudal era?” he asked. Kagome nodded and stood up.
“Sota, this man, or should I say demon, is Lord Sesshomaru, and this little girl is Rin,” she replied. Sota's eyes widened in fear and he backed away from Sesshomaru a little bit.
“Y-you mean this is Inuyasha's older brother, the full demon that hates humans?” he stuttered. Sesshomaru frowned.
“Sota, he IS a full demon, but he's really very sweet once you get to know him. I've been traveling around with him all day, and he hasn't hurt me at all. So he can be trusted,” said Kagome, slightly annoyed at her brother's rudeness. Rin was hiding behind Sesshomaru, peeking around him shyly. Sota saw her and waved.
“Hello. You're Rin, right?” he asked. Rin nodded slowly. Sota smiled.
“Nice to meet you both. I'm Sota.” Rin smiled, and stepped out from behind Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru smiled down at her. Just then, Kagome's mother and grandfather stepped into the room.
“Welcome home, Kagome. Oh, who's this young man and little girl?” asked Kagome's mother. Kagome almost laughed at this question. Kagome knew for a fact that Sesshomaru wasn't young at all. In truth, he would be 200 years old if he were human. Kagome was about to introduce Sesshomaru and Rin, but Sesshomaru held up his hand to stop her.
“I am Lord Sesshomaru,” he said. Rin finally spoke up.
“And my name is Rin,” she said shyly. Kagome's mom smiled.
“Hello, nice to meet you. I've heard all about you, my Lord. And I understand that you're Inuyasha's older brother, as well as a full demon?” asked Kagome's mother. Sesshomaru nodded. Kagome's grandfather stepped in front of Kagome's mother and Sota, and glared at Sesshomaru.
“Off with you, demon! You're not welcome here!” he shouted. Sesshomaru closed his eyes and smiled slightly. He was used to not being trusted by mortals.
“Gramps, he means us no harm. I've been traveling with him all day, and he hasn't hurt me at all, so he's trustworthy,” said Kagome, even more annoyed then before. Her grandfather hesitated a moment, then stepped out from in front of the others.
“Nice to meet you,” he said unconvincingly. Sesshomaru looked around at his new surroundings, taking in every detail. Mrs. Higurashi broke the silence.
“You must be very hungry after your long journey. Would you like something to eat?” she asked Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru looked at her and nodded politely.
“Yes, thank you,” he said. Mrs. Higurashi nodded, bowed to him, then walked into the kitchen to cook something for him and Kagome. Sesshomaru wandered around the living room and sat down on the floor against a wall. Kagome knelt down in front of him.
“So, what d'ya think of my era?” she asked him.
“It's… nice.”
“We can go back after we eat, if you want to.”
“Alright.” Kagome beamed. She and Sesshomaru waited for dinner to be done. After many minutes, Mrs. Higurashi called them into the kitchen to eat. Sesshomaru and Kagome stood up and walked in, sitting down at the kitchen table. Mrs. Higurashi placed a bowl of rice porridge in front of the two of them. They both ate silently.
“So, Lord Sesshomaru, which province do you live in?” asked Mrs. Higurashi. Sesshomaru looked at her.
“The west.”
“Ah, I see. What's it like there?” Kagome felt like laughing. Her mother was so clueless on what to say, she was making it up as she went.
“Large. Mountainous. Demon-infested,” replied Sesshomaru emotionlessly. Mrs. Higurashi nodded.
“It must be hard being the lord of a whole province!” exclaimed Sota. Sesshomaru turned his attention to him.
“Not at all; the lesser demons fear me,” he answered.
“How long have you been a lord?” asked a very curious Sota.
“Centuries.” Sota's eyes went wide.
“Centuries?! Whoa, that's a long time!” he exclaimed.
“Indeed, to you mortals, centuries do seem like a long time. But for us demons, it seems like no more than a few years.” Sota nodded understandingly. Several minutes passed, and Kagome and Sesshomaru had finished their meals. Mrs. Higurashi took the bowls from the table and put them in the sink. Sesshomaru stood.
“Thank you for the meal,” he said, bowing politely to Kagome's flattered mother. Mrs. Higurashi bowed back.
“You're most welcome, my lord.” Kagome stood and stretched.
“So, Sesshomaru, do you want to head back?”
“Yes, that would be fine.”
“Okay. Bye everyone, I'll be back in few days,” said Kagome, walking outside with Sesshomaru and Rin. Sota, her mother, and her grandfather waved goodbye.
“Bye sis, good luck over there!” called Sota. Kagome smiled and nodded.
“Thanks, Sota. Bye!” She led Sesshomaru and Rin back to the shrine well and jumped in, heading back to the feudal era.