InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Rin's Rescue ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sesshomaru climbed out of the well and helped Kagome and Rin out. They were back in the feudal era again. Kagome sat on the edge of the well.
“So, Sesshomaru, how'd you like my era?” she asked. Sesshomaru looked at her.
“It was all right, nothing I'm used to though…” he said. Kagome nodded.
“Yeah, Inuyasha reacted the same way when he first saw my world.”
After a few minutes of silence, Rin spoke.
“So where are we going now, my lord?” she asked. The demon lord looked down at the little girl then out to the horizon.
“I don't know.”
“We'll just travel wherever, I guess,” supposed Kagome, stretching.
“Won't we need to get Jaken?” asked Rin. Sesshomaru sighed. He would much rather have preferred if the worthless imp didn't go with them, but then he'd lose his most loyal vassal.
“Yes. Come, let's go get him.” Kagome and Rin nodded and climbed onto Ah-Un's back. The dragon had been waiting for them outside the well until they got back. Rin took hold of the reins and waited for Sesshomaru to climb on.
“Aren't you getting on, Lord Sesshomaru?” she asked. Sesshomaru shook his head.
“No. You and Kagome ride Ah-Un, I'll get there my own way.” He seemed to be insisting, so Rin nodded.
“Okay. Lets go, Ah-Un!” She whipped the reins against the dragon's necks and slowly the ground below them became further and further away. Kagome looked down to where Sesshomaru was standing.
“Rin, will he be able to catch up? I know he's a demon, but still…” she said, worried. Rin looked over her shoulder at the older girl and smiled.
“Don't worry, Kagome-san, Lord Sesshomaru will catch up fast.” Kagome heard the assurance in the young child's voice and calmed a bit.
Down on the ground, Sesshomaru looked up at the slowly disappearing dragon. His hair and clothes billowed in an unseen and unfelt wind, and his fluffy seemed to lengthen with each small gust. He rose off of the ground and followed Kagome and Rin. He used his fluffy sometimes as a means of transportation.
Kagome looked behind her again to see if Sesshomaru was following and to her surprise, he was no longer on the ground… but in the air! He was flying!
“I didn't know he could fly!” she exclaimed. Rin laughed.
“He can. That fur he has over his shoulder holds him up and moves him through the air when he's flying. It kinda looks like a cloud, doesn't it?”
“Yeah, it does.”
Within a few minutes, Sesshomaru was flying alongside Ah-Un, looking straight ahead. Kagome looked over at him, eyes sparkling with amazement. He's so cool, she thought. His long silvery hair shined in the sunlight and it billowed behind him like silk in water.
About 20 minutes later, though it seemed like an hour to Kagome, they were back in the western lands. Ah-Un headed to Sesshomaru's castle without much need for instruction. Kagome cast another glance at Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru looked at her out of the corner of his eye. Kagome turned her attention right back to the horizon when she saw Sesshomaru peeking at her. Sesshomaru merely smiled.
Ah-Un landed in front of Sesshomaru's castle and stood still so its two passengers could get off. Rin and Kagome got off of the dragon's back and bowed to it respectfully. Ah-Un bowed its heads back. Sesshomaru landed gracefully next to Ah-Un, his fluffy returning to its normal length. He walked into the castle to get Jaken.
“Jaken, come. We're leaving,” he said calmly. Jaken stopped ordering around Sesshomaru's other servants and bowed.
“Yes m'lord, I'm coming,” he said in that voice that irritated Sesshomaru so. Sesshomaru turned on his heel and walked back outside where Kagome and Rin were waiting patiently for him.
“We're going,” he announced. As soon as he finished talking he was already walking off to the east.
“Wait for me, Lord Sesshomaru!” called Rin, running after him. Kagome followed, Jaken leading Ah-Un along behind him. Why does Lord Sesshomaru let this mortal wench travel with him? Wondered Jaken, referring to Kagome.
Kagome walked along next to Sesshomaru, casting sidelong glances at him every now and then. Every time she looked at him, his face seemed emotionless, like he was concentrating on something. She felt like speaking up and asking him if he was okay, but she stopped herself and remained silent.
“So where are we off to, Lord Sesshomaru?” asked Jaken.
“Wherever Kagome wants to go,” replied the demon lord. Kagome was surprised.
“Y-you're letting me decide where to go?” Sesshomaru nodded. “Okay! Hmm, lets see… where to go, where to go… Oh, I know! Lets go to Kaede's village. I want to let everyone know that I'm okay,” decided Kagome.
“I believe I know where that village is,” said Sesshomaru, still walking. Kagome nodded and walked along beside him. I hope the others are okay, thought Kagome. She hadn't seen her friends, Sango the demon slayer, Miroku the flirtatious monk, Shippo the young fox demon, Kaede the priestess, and Kirara the demon cat in a long time. She had forgotten to ask Inuyasha how they were.
They walked along silently for hours, until Rin broke the silence.
“Lord Sesshomaru, I'm really thirsty. May I go find something to drink?” Sesshomaru looked over his shoulder at her.
“Very well. Just don't go too far.”
“Alright!” Rin ran off to find herself some water to drink. Kagome looked at Sesshomaru, a worried expression on her face.
“Will she be okay, Sesshomaru? She's just a little girl.” Sesshomaru peered at the young woman.
“She will be fine. If anything happens to her, I shall know,” he said. Kagome nodded, facing forward again. That's right, he's a demon. He has a better sense of smell and hearing than humans do, she thought.
Rin was in a forest near where Sesshomaru and the others were, and she was looking for a nearby stream or some other body of water to drink from. She came across a river and ran up to it, dipping her hands into the cold water. She took a sip.
“Much better,” she said, taking a few more sips. Rin looked around the area. She was in a western forest, and they were always dark. The trees were either dead or their branches so thickly grown and covered with leaves that they looked like arms about to snatch up unsuspecting mortals. She stood up, a little frightened, now that she was alone. She had never been in one of the western forests without Sesshomaru around, and she was getting antsy. A rustle in the dark bushes caught her attention. She backed up a bit.
“L-Lord Sesshomaru?” she called out uncertainly. A long, low growl resounded through the area. Rin was shaking with fear and she was looking around frantically for Sesshomaru. A demon that resembled a large wolf stepped out from the bushes, looking at Rin, drool dripping from its lower jaw, eyes glowing purple. Rin had a great fear of wolves, and took a few more steps back. The demon wolf kept advancing towards her, snarling. Rin did the first thing that popped into her mind; she ran. She ran as fast as her legs would carry her. The demon wolf snarled and chased after the girl, paws pounding on the ground, claws making small gouges in the soil. Rin screamed.
“LORD SESSHOMARU!”
Sesshomaru heard Rin's scream and stopped walking, looking around in all directions. Kagome, Jaken, and Ah-Un stopped walking as well.
“Sesshomaru, what's wrong?” asked Kagome. Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed in anger when he smelled the presence of the demon wolf that was chasing Rin.
“Rin's in danger. Jaken, stay here.” He ran off at full speed into the direction of the forest Rin was in, hoping he wasn't too late.
“Sesshomaru, wait!” Kagome ran after him, leaving Jaken behind.
“Go get them, m'lord!” squeaked Jaken.
Rin was still running for her life, the demon wolf right behind her.
“Someone, please, HELP ME!” she screamed. The demon wolf howled and two more joined it. Rin's lungs were stinging from running so far without stopping. Rin became cornered against the wall of a cliff, and frantically looked for an escape route.
“Oh no!” She turned around, facing the demon wolves, pressing her back against the stone cliff. The three demon wolves had her cornered, closing in on her, growling and staring hungrily. Rin slumped down to her knees and put her hands over her head, eyes closed, waiting for the final blow. One of the demon wolves leaped at Rin, teeth and claws bared, ready to devour the young girl, until…
YELP!
Rin looked up and a look of relief came onto her face. It was Sesshomaru! He had followed Rin's scent to that very spot and smashed the wolf aside with full force as it was about to attack Rin. He stood protectively in front of her, glaring at the demon wolves. He looked over his shoulder at the frightened Rin.
“Are you alright?” he asked. Rin nodded slowly. Sesshomaru looked around at the two wolves in front of him and the one crumpled in a heap at the base of a nearby tree. It was trying to stand up and fight. The demon wolves advanced towards him, snarling viciously. He held his right hand out to his side, two fingers stuck out. His hand glowed a light yellow color. Kagome showed up, panting from running so far. Man, he's fast, she thought. The injured demon wolf managed to stand up and joined its comrades. The trio leaped at Sesshomaru, growling fiercely. Sesshomaru swung his hand out in a side-sweep motion, a long tendril of light coming out of his fingers. As soon as it hit the wolves' flesh, they got sliced to pieces, falling to the ground, bloody and mangled.
The tendril of light disappeared and Sesshomaru turned around, picking up a shaking Rin. The little girl buried her face into Sesshomaru's chest and started crying. Sesshomaru could feel Rin's tears through his outer and inner kimono, but he didn't mind. He looked down at her and walked back over to Kagome, pushing the dead wolves' remains to the side with his foot as he walked by. Kagome ran up to him and looked at Rin.
“Is she okay, Sesshomaru?” she asked, worried. Sesshomaru nodded, gazing at the little girl crying in his arms.
“She's not wounded, just in shock. Lets go,” he said softly, walking back to where Jaken was waiting for them.
Jaken immediately began blabbering and congratulating Sesshomaru for his victory over the wolves as soon as the demon lord got back.
“Well done, m'lord! How brazen of those wolves to even think they could conquer you!” he rambled. Sesshomaru said nothing and continued walking into the direction of Kaede's village, still holding a shaken Rin. Kagome followed, Jaken and Ah-Un behind her. She ran up next to Sesshomaru and looked at Rin, who was cuddled close to his chest, cheeks stained with tears. Poor Rin… That must've been so scary for her, she thought.
“I'm sorry, my lord…” whispered Rin. Sesshomaru looked down at her.
“Sorry for…?”
“I cause you so much trouble… I'm sorry,” apologized Rin again. Sesshomaru's expression softened.
“Rin, you cause me no trouble. Demon attacks aren't something you can control.” Rin looked up at him and nestled her cheek against his fluffy, a few more tears leaking from her eyes. Sesshomaru held Rin in one arm and wiped her tears away with his other hand. Rin smiled and closed her eyes, exhausted from running from the demon wolves. Kagome was tired too, and she was starting to doze off. She yawned.
“Tired?” asked Sesshomaru, looking over at her. Kagome nodded.
“Yeah…. It's been a long day… And it's getting dark…” Just then, she saw it. Lights! Kaede's village!
“Sesshomaru, there's Kaede's village! Lets go.” Kagome ran to the village, despite her tiredness. Sesshomaru ran after her.
“Jaken, stay here and guard the village. I want no demons entering,” called Sesshomaru. Jaken bowed.
“Yes, m'lord.” He sat down and leaned against Ah-Un, who was now lying down.