InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Kagome Runs Away ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha sat down against a wall in Kaede's hut, looking at the ground, a glum expression on his face. I wonder how Kagome's doing, he thought. Sango, Miroku, and Shippo looked at him worriedly.
“He's been awfully quiet today. I wonder if there's anything wrong?” said Sango.
“He has been very quiet. When I asked him why he didn't come back with Kikyo earlier, he just pushed past me,” replied Miroku.
“You don't think-“
“Maybe. Kikyo wouldn't leave him, so that leaves only one possibility. She's dead. Well, dead again,” concluded Miroku.
“Poor Inuyasha…” said Sango, looking at the upset half demon. Shippo started to cry.
“I miss Kagome!” cried the little fox demon. Inuyasha looked up for a moment at the mention of Kagome's name, then turned his attention back to the floor.
“Don't worry, Shippo. I'm sure we'll see Kagome soon,” reassured Kaede. Shippo wiped his tears away and sat down next to Kirara, who was cleaning herself.
Kagome, Sesshomaru, and Rin were in Kaede's village now, and they were close to her hut. Kagome, exhausted, collapsed onto the ground. Sesshomaru ran up to her and picked her up, holding her as well as Rin. He looked around and located Kaede's hut, walking up to it. He knocked on the wood molding around the entrance with his foot, since his hands were full.
Kaede looked up.
“Who could that be?” she asked herself.
“I'll get it!” offered Shippo, running to the door. He pulled the curtain aside and looked up at the tall, well-dressed demon standing outside, waiting to be let in. He was about to run away from Sesshomaru, because he was afraid of him, when he saw Kagome in Sesshomaru's arms and nearly jumped for joy.
“Kagome's back, Kagome's back!” squeaked Shippo excitedly. Inuyasha smelled Sesshomaru, and this just dampened his spirits even more. If Kagome was alone, then he would've been happy, but she was with his full demon brother, which made him angrier.
“May I come in?” asked Sesshomaru patiently. Shippo nodded from fear of what the demon lord would do if he said no.
“Come on in,” he said, stepping away from the door and resuming his seat next to Kirara. Sesshomaru stepped through the doorway and placed Kagome down, still holding Rin.
“Kagome wanted to come see you, but she fell asleep before we could get here. So I carried her,” explained Sesshomaru, sitting against the wall and placing Rin on his lap.
“Thanks…” mumbled Inuyasha.
“Question. How did you know Kagome fell asleep? Were you stalking her?” asked Miroku. Sesshomaru glanced at Miroku, but before he could answer, Inuyasha answered for him.
“She's traveling with him…” Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kaede looked shocked at this.
“She's traveling with him?!” exclaimed all four of them. Inuyasha nodded.
“Yeah… I saw her this afternoon… Kikyo didn't come back with me cuz Kagome killed her…”
“Why did Kagome kill Kikyo? I know she wasn't fond of her but still, she'd never kill anyone unless there was a really good reason for it,” said Miroku, confused. Inuyasha sighed.
“Kikyo and I saw Kagome, Sesshomaru, and that little girl riding on his dragon, and I thought Kikyo was aiming her arrow at Sesshomaru. But she was really aiming at Kagome. Sesshomaru got in the way of the arrow so Kagome wouldn't get killed and then Kagome shot Kikyo with a sacred arrow and killed her…”
“Oh, I see,” said Sango, nodding. Kaede looked crushed.
“Kikyo is dead again?” she asked, hoping that Inuyasha was just pulling her leg. Inuyasha nodded. Kagome stirred.
“I'm sorry, Kaede… I was really upset, and you know how much I hated Kikyo…” she apologized softly, sitting up. Kaede nodded understandingly. Kagome rubbed the sleep from her eyes and looked around at everyone. She smiled when she saw her friends.
“Sango! Miroku, Shippo, Kirara! Kaede! It really is you! I'm not dreaming!” she exclaimed happily. She went over and hugged each of her friends, including Inuyasha. Miroku's hand went lower than Kagome's back and he got a nice thwack over the head by Sesshomaru.
“Good to see you again, Kagome,” said Sango, stroking Kirara.
“Indeed,” agreed Miroku, rubbing his head where there was now a huge bump. Rin began to wake up and opened her eyes slightly, yawning softly. Sesshomaru looked down at her and smiled when he found she was waking up. Rin rubbed her eyes and looked around at all of the strangers.
“Hi Rin. Sleep well?” asked Kagome. Rin nodded.
“Yes. Um, who are all these people?” she asked.
“This is Shippo, a fox demon, Sango, a demon slayer, Miroku, a lecher- uh, I mean monk, Kirara, a cat demon, and Kaede, a priestess. And you've already met Inuyasha, the half demon and Sesshomaru's brother,” said Kagome, introducing everyone. Rin looked at everyone and stood up, bowing politely to each of them. They all bowed back.
“Nice to meet all of you,” said Rin shyly.
“Likewise,” said Miroku. Rin sat down next to Sesshomaru and waited for someone to speak to her before speaking again.
“So, why are you traveling with Sesshomaru, Kagome?” asked Sango. Kagome was afraid someone would ask her that. What am I going to do? I can't tell them I'm in love with him. Inuyasha would kill me, thought Kagome.
“Um… well, I… ya see…” She was lost for words.
“I'm taking her to where I saw jewel shards a while back,” said Sesshomaru. Everyone looked at him.
“You're all looking for the jewel shards, are you not?” he asked.
“Yeah, we are. Well, that answers my question,” said Sango. Kagome smiled gratefully at Sesshomaru. He actually covered for me. Cool, she thought. Inuyasha stood up and walked out of the hut. Shippo watched him.
“What's his problem?” he asked. Kagome knew all too well what Inuyasha's problem was: he knew Sesshomaru was lying, and he didn't want to be in the same area as him.
“I'll go see what's wrong,” said Kagome. She stood up and walked outside.
She walked around the village, looking for Inuyasha. As she did so, she felt that she wasn't getting closer to Inuyasha, but farther away than ever. We've always been so close… yet now, I feel that he hates me and wants nothing to do with me, thought Kagome. She had looked all over the village and couldn't find Inuyasha. He must be outside the village, she guessed. Kagome walked to the outskirts of the village and stood there, hoping Inuyasha would come talk to her.
“Inuyasha? Please come out from wherever you're hiding,” she called out. Inuyasha was watching from a nearby tree.
“What do you want?” he called back. Kagome whipped around and saw him in the cherry blossom tree by the village. She put her hands on her hips.
“There a reason you just stormed out of there without saying where you were going?” she half asked half demanded.
“Why should I tell you, traitor?” Kagome felt her heart rip in half.
“Traitor?”
“Yeah, traitor! How could you flee to the west and start traveling with Sesshomaru, Kagome? You too good to travel with me, a half breed, anymore? Huh? Is that it?” asked Inuyasha angrily.
“Inuyasha… no, of course not… I mean… you're the one who betrayed me by going out with Kikyo! That's why I left, Inuyasha! Because you shattered my heart into a million pieces!” shouted Kagome just as angrily, though there was a hint of hurt in her voice. This time it was Inuyasha's turn to feel like his heart had been ripped in half. Kagome's words pierced through him like white-hot daggers.
“Kagome-“
“No, don't say anything! I get it! You love that dead woman more than me! Is that it?!”
“Kagome, it's nothing like that! I still love you!”
“No! If you still loved me, you wouldn't have been kissing Kikyo! I don't see anything wrong with me loving your brother… You broke my heart, and he's helping to mend it… Which is something that you never even tried to do, Inuyasha!” cried Kagome, tears pouring down her cheeks.
“You LOVE HIM?!” exclaimed Inuyasha angrily. Kagome said nothing.
“I don't believe this! Sesshomaru tried to kill you a long time ago, remember?!” Kagome remembered it all too well. It was around when she began traveling with Inuyasha to find the Sacred Jewel shards.
“Sesshomaru has changed! I've seen it! He saved me this morning, Inuyasha!”
“From what?!”
“From a horrible demon, that's what! Now tell me, what were you doing around 10:30 this morning, Inuyasha?”
“I was with Kikyo, but-“
“Exactly! You were with Kikyo! You were with Kikyo while I almost got eaten by an ugly demon!” yelled Kagome.
“Please Kagome, quiet down! You'll wake up the whole village!” said Inuyasha.
“I'll quiet down when I want to! The point I'm trying to get at is that you never cared about me. You only let me travel with you because I look like Kikyo… Well newsflash, Inuyasha! I'm NOT Kikyo! Besides, Kikyo was dead, you two couldn't be together anyway! But Sesshomaru is alive, Inuyasha, and I love him! He has a kind heart now, unlike you! And if you have a problem with me loving your full demon brother then too bad! You love a dead woman, that's your decision! Goodbye, Inuyasha!” Kagome ran as fast as she could away from Inuyasha. She didn't care where she went, as long as it was away from him.
“Kagome, no! Stop!” Inuyasha jumped out of the tree and began to run after Kagome.
“SIT BOY!” screamed Kagome as she ran. Inuyasha slammed into the ground, making a small crater and screamed in pain. He got up to start chasing after Kagome again, but he was too late. Kagome was already out of sight. Now he felt guiltier than ever.
“Kagome…” He heard someone come up behind him, but didn't turn around.
“Where is she, Inuyasha?” It was a man's voice, and Inuyasha knew who it was right away.
“I don't know, Sesshomaru. Why don't you go and look for her, you're the one she loves,” replied Inuyasha. He turned to face his older brother. Sesshomaru was glaring daggers at him, and Rin was just watching, confused.
“What did you do to her? I can smell her tears even from here. I know you said something to her, Inuyasha,” he said coldly.
“So what if I did? And I didn't do anything to her…” said Inuyasha, walking past Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru grabbed Inuyasha by the back of the neck and held him up off of the ground.
“Tell me what you two talked about, Inuyasha. Or you will regret ever being born from your mortal mother's womb,” he threatened.
“I know you're in love with her, Sesshomaru. And she's in love with you… She told me herself… She said you have a kinder heart than I do,” said Inuyasha softly, somewhat painfully. Not because of the grip that Sesshomaru had on him, but because of the fact that Kagome hated him and loved Sesshomaru instead. Sesshomaru was flattered that Kagome thought he had a kind heart.
“Just tell me which direction she went,” demanded Sesshomaru.
“I would if I was on the ground…” mumbled Inuyasha. Sesshomaru growled and dropped Inuyasha. Inuyasha stumbled for a moment then regained his composure. He turned and got on all fours, sniffing the ground for Kagome's scent. As soon as he picked out her scent from the variety of other smells around, he pointed into the direction she went.
“She went in that direction. I think you can handle it from here… Later…” Inuyasha walked back to Kaede's hut. Sesshomaru watched him leave and looked into the direction Kagome ran off into, hair blowing in the wind.
“What's wrong with Kagome, Lord Sesshomaru?” asked Rin.
“She's suffering from a broken heart, Rin,” he replied. He began walking north, where Kagome had ran off to. Rin followed. Apparently, Sesshomaru hadn't noticed that they had left Jaken and Ah-Un behind on the opposite side of the village.