InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Naraku Spies ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome was getting tired from running, but she figured that she was far enough away from Inuyasha by now so she stopped running and walked. She wiped fresh tears from her eyes, but it was no use. More came, rolling down her cheeks and dripping onto the grass. She looked around at her surroundings. She was still a few miles away from the northern province. She knew a wolf demon by the name of Koga that lived in the north. She hadn't seen him in a long time and worried about whether he was okay. So she was going to pay him a little visit. I haven't been here in so long, she thought. As she walked along, she kept hearing the occasional rustle of leaves and the snap of twigs. Each time she heard a twig snap, she became nervous, afraid that something might be watching her.
“Inuyasha that jerk… That's the last time I go back to see him…” she said glumly. She heard thunder in the distance and looked up at the part of the sky that was visible through the thick tree branches.
“Oh no, that's the last thing I need… to get struck by lightning in a forest filled with trees ready to collapse and crush me…” muttered Kagome. “I should go find some shelter.” She started running again, looking for a cave or something to hide in.
In the Forest of Inuyasha, Inuyasha and his friends were hot on Kagome's trail. Kirara flew through the forest behind him with Sango, Miroku and Shippo on her back. Sango held onto Kirara's neck fur, a determined expression on her face. We'll find you, Kagome. I promise, thought Sango. Miroku yawned, eyes closed halfway.
“Sheesh, how far and fast can Kagome run anyway?” wondered Miroku out loud.
“We must be close by now,” assumed Shippo.
“It's no surprise that she's become faster. Especially because of demons chasing her all the time,” Inuyasha told them.
“Yeah, I guess,” said Miroku. He thought he felt something wet hit his face.
“Huh?”
“Something wrong, Miroku?” asked Sango, looking over her shoulder at the monk. Miroku looked her in the eyes.
“I thought I felt water hit my face just now,” he said. A few more raindrops fell and the others felt it this time.
“I felt it too,” said Inuyasha, sniffing around on the ground for Kagome's scent. “We better find Kagome soon or the rain will wash her scent away. If that happens, we'll never find her.” Sango nodded. Shippo screamed when he heard the rumble of thunder in the distance. It sounded close. Sango looked up at the sky.
“Inuyasha, we shouldn't stay outside in this weather.” Inuyasha just glanced at her, eyes narrowed.
“No, I'm not going to stop looking for Kagome. We're going to continue searching for her, no excuses,” he said semi-angrily. Sango sighed and nodded. She shivered.
“It's getting cold out here.” Miroku slipped his staff in front of Sango's waist and held onto one end, holding her close to him, and rubbed her behind with the other hand.
“I'll gladly keep you warm,” he said, smiling. Sango glared over her shoulder at him and clenched one hand into a fist in front of her. A loud smack and Miroku's “ow” could be heard throughout the forest. Miroku rubbed his cheek, which now had a red hand mark on it. Sango looked straight ahead, hand stinging from how hard she slapped Miroku.
“Not necessary, pervert,” she grumbled, annoyed. Miroku sighed. Inuyasha was sniffing around hastily, trying to pick up Kagome's scent before the rain came and washed it all away. He found it and got to his feet, running into that direction. Kirara took off after him, the weary demon slayer, monk, and fox demon on her back.
Sesshomaru looked up at the sky, which was getting a thick cloud cover over it. He and Rin felt raindrops a few minutes before, and more came every minute or so.
“We must find Kagome before the rain comes. Once the rain touches the ground, Kagome's scent will get washed away and it will become harder for me to follow her trail,” said Sesshomaru softly. Rin looked at Sesshomaru worriedly.
“Will we be able to find Kagome before the rain comes, my lord?” she asked.
“Perhaps… If we hurry.” Sesshomaru sniffed the air once more and picked up Kagome's scent again. He followed it, Rin walking along beside him, picking up flowers she came across. More raindrops fell, then another, then another. Sesshomaru was beginning to have doubts about if he'd find Kagome before the storm started. But he shoved them aside and followed Kagome's scent with haste, wanting to find her before other demons did.
Kagome found a small cave deep in the forest and ran inside before the rain got too heavy. It started steadily at first, then gradually got harder and harder. Cold and wet, Kagome sat down against the wall of the cave, rubbing her arms and trying to get warm. Thoughts of Inuyasha looking for her came into her mind. These just brought tears to her eyes. Then a more pleasant thought came to her. She saw Sesshomaru, walking through the forest, searching for her. He had a determined, yet worried expression on his face, and his long hair billowed behind him in the breeze. A small smile appeared on Kagome's face. Is he really looking for me? She asked herself.
“If he is looking for me, I wonder how far away he is…” With this thought fresh in her mind, and a sense of hopefulness in her heart, she soon fell asleep.
Miles to the northeast, in a dark castle, a sinister being sat against a wall, looking into a mirror held by a young girl. The mirror he was looking into had the ability to steal a person's soul, and it could also show events that were going on wherever some of his Saimyosho, or poisonous insects, were stationed. And the girl wasn't a human. She was a demon by the name of Kanna. The man she was sitting with wasn't human either. He was a demon by the name of Naraku, a being whom Inuyasha and the others were out to destroy. Kanna was one of his incarnations. Naraku possessed a great majority of the sacred jewel. He had the smell of fresh blood on him, for he had recently wounded a demon with a jewel shard in each of his legs. Now he needed only a few more shards to make the jewel complete.
He had been spying on Kagome for some time now by looking into Kanna's mystical mirror, and he knew that she and Inuyasha had gotten into an argument. He knew that she was traveling with Sesshomaru and had fallen in love with the demon lord. He smirked when he saw Kagome all alone in the cave.
“So, the girl is asleep. She is completely unaware of the danger that surrounds her,” he said in his usual eerie voice. Kanna looked at him with her black eyes.
“What are you going to do?” she asked slowly and softly in her misty voice.
“I'm going to send Kagura after the jewel shards. And if she refuses to hand them over, there will be a price to pay. In blood.” Naraku laughed sinisterly. “Kagura, come here.” Another of Naraku's incarnations walked into the room. She resembled him more than Kanna did. She had dark brown hair tied back in a small bun, ruby red eyes, and wore a red and white kimono over two other kimonos that she had under it. She held a fan in her hand, which she used to control the wind and the dead. Though she was created from Naraku's flesh and had to obey his wishes, she longed to be freed from his grasp.
“Yes, Naraku?”
“I want you to go to the forest a few miles south of the northern border. There's a young woman there who could use some company,” ordered Naraku.
“What is this woman's name, if you know it?” asked Kagura.
“Her name is Kagome. She is the reincarnation of Kikyo the priestess.” Kagura smiled.
“Very well. I understand that she possesses jewel shards?” Naraku nodded. “I will go `keep her company' then.”
“I'll give you control of the demon spirits. If she refuses to hand the jewel shards over to you, send them after her,” said Naraku coldly. Kagura nodded and walked out of the room. Naraku watched her leave and then turned his attention back to the mirror. Kagome was still asleep.
“Sleep peacefully while you can, little girl. You're in for a rude awakening.”