InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Naraku's Barrier; Sesshomaru's Rage ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rin yawned. Sesshomaru looked over his shoulder at the girl and fell behind a bit, slowing his pace slightly so he was directly beside Ah-Un but still running.
“Are you tired, Rin?” he asked. Rin nodded.
“Yes… I'm sorry; I'm slowing you down,” she apologized. Sesshomaru's expression softened a bit.
“You're not slowing me down,” he assured. Inuyasha ceased running forward, growing impatient. Kirara stopped as well, confused. Inuyasha turned around to face Sesshomaru, an angry and impatient look in his eyes.
“C'mon, Sesshomaru, we don't have all day!” he snapped. Sesshomaru glared at him but made no comment.
“Inuyasha, silence,” he ordered. Inuyasha growled.
“I don't need to take orders from the likes of you!” he yelled. Everyone sighed when they sensed another fight between Sesshomaru and Inuyasha coming on.
“Please stop fighting you two! We need to find Kagome, remember?” reminded Shippo. Sesshomaru glanced at the little fox demon and nodded.
“Very well. But I refuse to leave Rin behind,” he said finally.
“Did I SAY you had to leave Rin behind?” asked Inuyasha skeptically. Sesshomaru sighed hopelessly.
“I mean that I refuse to go faster than a walk for a little while,” he explained. Inuyasha groaned.
“You gotta be kidding me! If we slow down that much, we won't find Kagome for days!” he protested. Sesshomaru glared at him.
“Um, m'lord, I don't mean to interrupt, but, why don't you carry Rin? After all, Ah-Un doesn't move nearly as fast as you. It's just a suggestion, of course… You don't have to do it,” croaked Jaken. Sesshomaru glanced at him then at the tired Rin. He nodded and took Rin off of Ah-Un's back gently, cradling her in his arms.
“Very well,” he agreed. He began running, taking the lead.
“Hey, wait!” shouted Inuyasha, running after him. Kirara and the others followed. Jaken took hold of Ah-Un's reins, whipping them against its two necks.
“Hurry, Ah-Un! We must not get left behind!” he cried. Ah-Un took to the air, flying swiftly after its master.
Naraku walked into the room where Kagome was hanging on the wall, chains bound around her wrists. Kagura looked over her shoulder.
“Naraku, I have a feeling that Sesshomaru won't fall for this,” she said doubtfully. Naraku's eyes narrowed when he realized that Kagura was right. He realized that Sesshomaru would suspect something if the dead Kagome was being hung by her wrists by chains. After all, who would chain up a dead person?
“You're correct, Kagura. Inuyasha may fall into this trap, but Sesshomaru will suspect something,” he agreed. He held his hand up towards Kagome and the chains burnt away. Kagome fell to the floor and got up slowly, her eyes completely expressionless. Naraku smirked at her.
“Kagome, your friends will be coming soon. Now, I'm sure you wouldn't want yourself covered in blood when they arrive, now will you?” he asked emotionlessly. Kagome shook her head.
“No, Naraku…” she muttered. Naraku took hold of Kagome's hand and pulled her to her feet. Kagura smirked.
“How very kind and considerate of you,” she said softly. Naraku chuckled and pulled Kagome along behind him, heading for the room in his castle where a hot spring was.
Naraku slid the door to the hot spring room closed, standing in front of it. Kagome sat down next to the hot spring, looking into its steamy water. She's beautiful, but I mustn't allow myself to be tempted, thought Naraku. He hadn't thought Kagome was attractive when she was alive, but when she was dead, with no mind of her own, she was beautiful to him. He sat down cross-legged behind Kagome, placing his hands on both of her shoulders. Kagome felt Naraku touching her and looked over her shoulder at him, a blank expression on her face. Naraku smiled slightly and brushed Kagome's hair away from her neck. He leaned forward and closed his eyes, placing a gentle kiss on the girl's neck. Kagome's eyes widened a bit, but she did nothing. Naraku parted his lips from Kagome's neck, opening his eyes slightly and looking at her. Kagome cast a sidelong glance at Naraku, a bit confused about what he was doing (even though Kagome was dead, she still had emotions because her dormant soul was still inside of her). Naraku slid his palms down Kagome's arms, putting his lips to her neck again. Kagome sighed, letting him do what he wanted with her. Naraku moved his hands to Kagome's and took hold of them, roughly pinning them behind her back. Kagome gasped when she felt Naraku's cold hands and looked over at him, a bewildered look in her cold, lifeless eyes.
“What are you doing…?” she asked softly. Naraku chuckled softly. He brought his mouth close to Kagome's neck and whispered, “Now that you're dead, I can do what I please. Now, get into the hot spring…” Kagome nodded and stood up. Within a few minutes, she was ready to get into the warm water. But before she could get in, Naraku walked up to her and stood directly in front of her. Kagome looked up into his menacing eyes and smiled slightly. Naraku gazed at Kagome's beautiful face, a horrible smile on his face. He slid his hands down Kagome's arms and leaned in a bit closer. Kagome did nothing to stop Naraku from doing what he did next. Naraku pressed his lips to Kagome's and closed his eyes, kissing her roughly. Kagome kissed back, wrapping her arms around the evil demon. Naraku broke the kiss and smirked at Kagome, running a finger up her spine. Kagome shivered.
“Get into the hot spring, Kagome,” said Naraku. Kagome nodded and climbed into the hot spring. The water became tinted red with Kagome's blood and Naraku smiled. Naraku sat down beside the hot spring, looking like a phantom as the steam swirled around him.
“Wash up,” he instructed, not taking his eyes away from Kagome. Kagome nodded and began scrubbing herself with her hands, washing off as much blood as she could. She was fully aware that Naraku was staring at her, but she wasn't embarrassed. Naraku watched Kagome's every move. Despite the numerous wounds on her body, Kagome's skin looked smooth. Kagome looked over her shoulder at Naraku. Naraku kept staring at her.
“Yes?” he questioned, sensing a question from Kagome.
“I'm finished…” said Kagome. Naraku nodded and smiled; his plan was going perfectly. The water in the hot spring was scented, which would alter Kagome's scent. It would confuse Sesshomaru greatly.
Kagome got out of the hot spring, picking up her clothes. Naraku looked at Kagome, who was about to put her clothes back on.
“Kagome, wait,” he demanded. Kagome peered at Naraku, confused.
“What is it…?” she asked. Naraku grabbed Kagome's clothes and soaked them in the red-tinted water. Once all of Kagome's garments were soaked with the scented water, he squeezed them dry. He handed them back to Kagome and she took them.
“Why'd you-?” started Kagome.
“The water is scented. If you don't have your normal scent, Sesshomaru will become confused and find you much slower,” answered Naraku. Kagome's eyes widened. Something deep within her soul, the only part of her that wasn't under Kagura's control, made her recognize that name. Sesshomaru…? Why does that name sound so familiar to me…? She wondered.
“I see…” Kagome put all of her garments back on and picked up her bow and quiver of arrows, waiting for Naraku to give her orders. Naraku slid the door to the hall outside open and looked over his shoulder at Kagome.
“Come.” Kagome nodded and followed him out of the room, her soul still trying to remember who Sesshomaru was…
Naraku's scent was getting stronger as Sesshomaru and the others advanced towards his castle.
“His scent is strong,” he called over his shoulder to the others.
“Yeah. There's no mistaking Naraku's foul stench,” agreed Inuyasha, speeding up.
It was beginning to get dark out, and with every step, Sesshomaru was growing more and more confident. He wanted Kagome back, and he'd get her back, even if it meant getting himself killed. He knew that Naraku was a formidable foe, but he knew that no matter what form Naraku took, he'd be able to kill him. It all had to be a matter of strength, courage, strategy, speed, and evasiveness.
Shippo yawned. The sun had gone down, and he was getting sleepy, even though he hadn't been moving around much that day.
“Are we close to Naraku's castle yet?” he asked tiredly. Sango sighed.
“I don't know, but those two sure aren't willing to give us a break,” she mumbled, talking about Inuyasha and Sesshomaru, of course. Shippo closed his eyes.
“I hope we find Kagome soon… I really miss her,” he complained, tears welling up in his big eyes. Miroku frowned.
“I miss her too.”
“We all do,” agreed Sango. I just hope we get there before Naraku uses her for one of his dirty tricks, she thought, worried about her friend.
Kagome looked around at the room she was now in. It was a dark and gloomy place with small windows set in the walls, the shutters on them closed almost completely, allowing almost no moonlight in. Naraku slid the door closed behind them as they entered.
“These are my sleeping quarters. It's not much, but I'm sure you will like it here, priestess,” he assured, smirking. Kagome glanced around.
“You're letting me sleep in here…?” she questioned. Naraku chuckled and circled Kagome like a vulture to a corpse.
“Indeed I am. Unless, of course, you think the dungeon cell in the cellar is more to your liking,” he replied eerily. Kagome nodded.
“I was not making any objections, Naraku…” she muttered. Naraku sat against the wall, closing his eyes.
“Good,” he said curtly. Kagome sat beside him. Neither of them said a word.
Kagura tiptoed to Naraku's room, standing against one of the doors. She listened intently, hoping to hear Naraku reciting another one of his malicious schemes to Kagome. To her surprise, she heard nothing. She carefully slid the door open a bit, careful not to make any noise. She peeked through the little crack and was surprised to see Naraku and Kagome sitting quietly next to each other, not moving or saying a word. What is Naraku up to? She wondered. Kagura realized how close Naraku and Kagome were to each other and smirked. So, he is making no attempt to send her out of the castle to greet Sesshomaru, is he? Wait… that look in his eyes… It's mischievous. Not malevolent or violent in any way. What is he thinking? She wondered, wanting to know what was going on. It wasn't until Naraku glanced at Kagome, examining her, did Kagura understand. She almost laughed because it was so ridiculous. He thinks she resembles Kikyo. Because of Onigumo's heart beating strong inside him, he still has love for Kikyo, real or not. Well, if it's Kagome he wants, it's Kagome he gets, she decided. She looked at Kagome intently and whipped her fan open, not taking her gaze away from the girl.
Kagome felt Kagura's call and her eyes widened a bit in concentration at the command: Touch him… touch him… Touch him? What did Kagura mean? Touch him lightly in some way… Under Kagura's spell, Kagome had no choice but to obey her. She entwined one of her arms around one of Naraku's and leaned her head on his shoulder. Naraku's eyes widened a bit with surprise and he peered at Kagome. What's she doing? He wondered, curious. Kagome turned slightly towards Naraku, placing her other hand on his chest. Naraku understood now and smirked.
“What is it, Kagome?” he asked.
Kagura rolled her eyes in disgust and sent another command to Kagome.
Kagome got the message clearly: You desire him… You desire Naraku…
“You, Naraku…” she replied softly and emotionlessly. Naraku grinned and turned slightly to face Kagome.
“That's what I thought,” he said smugly. The deceased priestess leaned up, closing her eyes, and brushed her lips lightly against Naraku's. Naraku responded almost immediately and pulled Kagome close to him, kissing her back. He ran his hands up and down her back for a bit before lying her down on the wood floor, holding himself above her (A/N: They're going to do nothing more than kiss in this scene and the next). Kagome broke the kiss, staring into Naraku's burgundy colored eyes, resting her hands on the back of his neck. Naraku smirked triumphantly. She has no idea who she really is. If she did, we wouldn't be in this position right now, he thought. Kagome was thinking the entire opposite. Something is wrong here… I keep getting the feeling that this isn't how things are supposed to be… I feel like there's something I have to be doing right now… But what is it? She wondered. Naraku breathed lightly over Kagome's neck before placing a kiss on the skin. Kagome shivered. Naraku sought Kagome's lips again, closing his eyes. He was finally getting what he wished of Kikyo so long ago, even though it wasn't Kikyo who was with him. Like he cared.
Kagura shuddered with disgust when he saw Naraku and Kagome kissing each other fiercely right there in Naraku's room. How repulsive can he get? Oh well, it doesn't concern me, she thought, starting off back down the hall.
Naraku broke the kiss after several minutes to come up for air, his breath coming out in shallow, hoarse gasps. He finally had the chance to experience something pleasurable (other than killing innocent people), and he was full of greedy anticipation. Kagome tried to sit up but Naraku clamped his hands over her wrists, pinning them to the floor and preventing her from getting up. Kagome did nothing. Naraku smirked and leaned his face closer to Kagome's. Kagome just stared at him, unblinking.
“Oh how Lord Sesshomaru must miss you,” said Naraku arrogantly, that horribly possessive tone in his smooth voice. Kagome said nothing; didn't struggle. That name again… Why is it that whenever I hear that name, I feel like there's something missing…? She wondered, desperate for some answers to her forgotten past. She was snapped out of her thoughts when she felt Naraku laying kisses down her neck. No matter how good she felt she just knew that something was wrong. Terribly wrong…
A mile away from Naraku's castle, Sesshomaru and the others were closing in on their target, more anxious than ever. Since Sesshomaru was holding the sleeping Rin in his arms, he had to make sure he didn't go too fast. But he went as fast as he could, and after many long hours of running into the night, Kagome was almost within his reach.
Inuyasha, who was right behind him, was getting tired of running, but he was driven on by the sheer desire to get revenge for the deaths of both of the women he loved: Kikyo and Kagome.
Kirara was getting exhausted. She had only rested once that day, and now she felt like falling asleep right there on the spot. But deep in her soul, she knew that she had to wait, for one of her friends was in the group's worst enemy's clutches. She was going purely on instinct, knowing that she had to carry and protect the others until the very end.
“How much farther, Sesshomaru?” shouted Miroku. Without looking back, Sesshomaru answered, “If my understanding is correct, I believe we're a mile from Naraku's castle.” Inuyasha grunted, and made his on comment.
“Yeah, you're right. But the strange thing is that the closer we get, the fainter Naraku's scent becomes,” he pointed out. Sesshomaru nodded.
“Yes. But we mustn't stop now. We've come too far for that,” he said. He kept his gaze straight ahead, praying to the gods, known and unknown, that they wouldn't be too late.
About 25 minutes later, Sesshomaru came to a standstill in the middle of a large field. The others, puzzled, ceased moving on, standing behind him. Inuyasha sniffed the air and growled angrily.
“Damn… the scent disappeared…”
“But that's not possible. There's nothing nearby to mask his scent,” noted Miroku, skeptical. Sesshomaru gently placed Rin on Ah-Un's back and glanced around the area, noting the surroundings. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, but he sensed something strange directly in front of him that the others couldn't.
“What is it, Sesshomaru?” questioned Inuyasha, stepping forward. He halted when Sesshomaru held his hand up, gesturing him not to move.
“Stand back, Inuyasha. All of you,” he ordered, pulling out the Tokijin. Everyone obeyed, watching his every move. Sesshomaru held the blade of his sword in front of him, closing his eyes and concentrating hard at the area in front of him.
“What the hell are you doing, Sesshomaru?” demanded Inuyasha.
“Silence, Inuyasha,” snapped Sesshomaru. He resumed what he was doing. His eyes snapped open when he found what he was looking for. He leapt into the air and slashed his sword violently through the air. His sword met something solid and Sesshomaru got sent flying back after a flash emanated from the space in front of the group. He backflipped and touched down onto the ground gently, a determined expression on his face. Everyone finally understood why Naraku's scent seemed completely nonexistent there.
“He's put up a barrier!” squeaked Jaken.
“So that's why no trace of his scent is around here,” understood Miroku. Inuyasha grinned and yanked the Tetsusaiga out of its sheath, getting into battle stance and facing the now lightly shimmering barrier.
“Ha, no problem. I'll bust that barrier wide open with my sword.”
“Out of my way, Inuyasha!” demanded Sesshomaru. He growled and lunged at the barrier with his sword, slashing at it violently. Each time, the barrier wasn't harmed and sent Sesshomaru skidding back across the ground. He got to his feet and his eyes began glowing red with fury. The Tenseiga at his belt pulsed, stopping him from transforming.
“CURSE YOU NARAKU!” he roared, lunging at the barrier at top speed. He got sent flying back again and crashed into the ground with a thud. He got up, ready to try again.
“No, Sesshomaru! If you keep trying to break the barrier, Naraku will know we're here!” yelled Miroku. Sesshomaru glared over his shoulder at Miroku.
“I DON'T CARE! NARAKU HAS KAGOME IN THERE, AND I'M NOT GOING TO ABANDON HER WITHOUT A FIGHT!” he snapped, baring his fangs.
“SESSHOMARU, CHILL, WILL YA! Listen, if I use my Wind Scar, the barrier will be busted wide open!” shouted Inuyasha, trying to reason with his furious older brother. Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed a bit and his jaw became less tense.
“He's right, Sesshomaru. Inuyasha's sword has always been able to break through Naraku's barrier. If we use that method on the barrier, we'll have a better chance of breaking it than if you keep running into it,” stated Miroku. Sesshomaru turned to face Inuyasha and the others; his eyes were still red with anger.
“Listen, monk. I will break this barrier. And I'm not going to rely on a half-breed's help. It's useless to interfere,” protested Sesshomaru, his voice deep with hatred. Miroku sighed and nodded, not wanting to get in Sesshomaru's way when he was already ferociously powerful. Sesshomaru turned back around to face the barrier and sped towards it, determined to break it on his own. Kagome was so close, yet out of his reach. And he didn't want it to stay that way.
Naraku broke away from kissing Kagome and looked up, realization on his face. Kagome opened her eyes and looked up at him.
“What is it, Naraku…?” she asked. Naraku got off of Kagome and put his kimono top back on, tying it to him with his sash (his shirt was the only thing he took off). He held out his hand and pulled Kagome to her feet.
“It seems that Sesshomaru and the others have made their appearance,” he answered emotionlessly. Kagome's eyes widened. Others…? What does he mean…? She wondered. Naraku stalked towards the door and slid it open, peering over his shoulder at Kagome.
“Come. Lets greet our guests,” he said. Kagome nodded, picked up her bow and quiver of arrows, and followed Naraku out of the room, part of her eager to meet Sesshomaru and the others, the other part seeking to obey Naraku's wishes and destroy them.
Sesshomaru collided with the ground again after what seemed like the thousandth time trying to break through Naraku's demonic barrier. Frustrated and livid, he jumped to his feet and ran at the barrier again, not willing to give up. Inuyasha nor the others made any move to stop him, since they knew he wouldn't listen to them anyway.
"All right, that's it, I'm using the Wind Scar whether you like it or not, Sesshomaru," decided Inuyasha. The Tetsusaiga's blade glowed red and Inuyasha shouted "Wind Scar!" He swept the blade of his sword through the air and sent the Wind Scar at its highest amount of power at the barrier. Sure enough, the force of the powerful attack ripped the barrier wide open and it vanished. Naraku's castle was in plain sight. Sesshomaru stopped running and his eyes turned back to their normal amber color. He glared at Naraku's castle with hatred. He would finally get his revenge.
"Jaken, you wait here with Ah-Un and watch over Rin. It's too dangerous for her to come in with us," ordered Sesshomaru. Jaken bowed and said, "Yes m'lord." Without a second thought, Sesshomaru rushed towards the castle.
“Hey, wait up!” hollered Inuyasha, darting after him. The others followed.
"Good luck, Lord Sesshomaru!" hollered Jaken. He sighed and sat down on the grass, watching over Rin as she slept.