InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ A Bitter Encounter ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There they were, standing in front of a dark castle that Naraku was calling home. When it was concealed behind the barrier, Sesshomaru and the others couldn't see it. But now they could see it clearly; it reeked of Naraku's stench, and his powerful demonic aura hung low over the castle, casting a gloomy air over the place. Inuyasha and Sesshomaru growled in unison, both showing their contempt and disgust towards the castle and its residents. Sesshomaru peered over his shoulder at Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kirara, a warning look in his eyes.
“Stay here,” he demanded, dashing at full speed up to the castle. Inuyasha narrowed his eyes and leapt after Sesshomaru. As if I'd obey him, thought Inuyasha, annoyed.
Miroku sighed.
“Why are they always so reckless when it comes to fighting?” he questioned hopelessly. Sango shrugged.
“I don't know. I hope they enter the castle with caution instead of barging in mindlessly. Judging by this demonic aura, Naraku has gotten more powerful,” she said. Shippo clasped his hands behind his head and looked up at Sango.
“They're both bone-heads…” he mumbled. Sango sighed. Then Miroku realized something that frightened him. He tapped Sango on the shoulder, an urgent look on his face.
“What is it, Miroku?” asked Sango.
“Kagome had the jewel shards with her when Naraku took her,” answered the monk. Shippo gasped.
“You mean they're in Naraku's possession now?!” Miroku nodded.
“Yes.” Sango tightened her grip on the Hiraikotsu, becoming fully alert.
“Well, that explains why this aura is so strong,” she noted. Miroku nodded and stared at the castle, imagining what was going on inside.
“We have to go help them,” he decided.
“But Sesshomaru told us to wait here, Miroku. Besides, I don't wanna go in there!” protested Shippo fearfully.
“We don't have a choice! If Inuyasha and Sesshomaru face Naraku alone, they'll be defeated! And with the jewel shards in his possession, Naraku will be stronger than them,” explained Miroku, worry evident in his voice. Sango nodded, a determined expression on her face.
“All right. Kirara, hurry! We don't have any time to waste!” Kirara made a small roar in protest and Sango stroked her fur.
“I know you're tired, but we have to go in there. Kagome, Inuyasha, and Sesshomaru's lives depend on us. Please, Kirara,” pleaded Sango softly, trying to console the big feline. After a few moments, Kirara hissed softly in agreement and bounded off towards the castle.
Naraku snickered as Sesshomaru and Inuyasha entered his castle. He was viewing them through Kanna's mirror.
“So, they have arrived.” He looked over his shoulder at Kagome.
“Kagome, go meet them. Use your powers to their fullest extent. But don't make yourself seen right away,” he instructed. Kagome nodded and walked out of the room, heading for the main hall.
“Kagura, go with her, and keep yourself hidden. If anything goes wrong, you take over,” added Naraku. Kagura sighed and nodded, following Kagome. Naraku's eyes narrowed and he turned his relentless stare back to Kanna's mirror. He smirked. If things get complicated for the two of them, I'll step in, he decided.
Sesshomaru skid to a stop when he was in the main hall of the castle; low growls rumbled from his throat. He put his hand to the hilt of the Tokijin and shifted his gaze all around the room.
“I know you're here, Naraku… Show yourself!” he demanded. Inuyasha sniffed the air and his eyes narrowed angrily.
“The scent of human blood is everywhere in here… It's so strong, that I can't smell any trace of Kagome,” he noted. Sesshomaru glanced at him, but couldn't deny that the foolish half demon was right. That Naraku… He kills for pleasure and to fulfill his wishes of getting the Sacred Jewel shards. The scent of blood is too overpowering. It'll be next to impossible to find Kagome here, he thought. He nodded and stepped forward.
“Indeed,” he agreed. A few moments later, he got a whiff of a strange new smell. Inuyasha smelled it too.
“Hey, Sesshomaru, what is that?” he asked. Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed.
“It smells like cherry blossoms and medicinal herbs,” he noticed. What he heard next both shocked and confused the two dog demon brothers.
“So you've come, Sesshomaru and Inuyasha… I have been waiting…” Sesshomaru looked around, but couldn't see anything. The strange new scent was stronger now, and so was the smell of blood. It was so overwhelming, that he could hardly stand it. Something about the voice was familiar though…
“Who's there?” he called out calmly. No answer. Inuyasha peered around, trying to find the cause of the voice. Then, out of the darkness of a hallway branching off from the main hall, an arrow shot towards the two brothers, a faint sacred aura surrounding it. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha leapt to opposite sides of the room in the nick of time. The arrow penetrated the wall adjacent to the spot where the two of them were standing seconds before. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha both whipped their attention to the hallway, gripping the hilts of their swords tightly.
Kirara with the others on her back burst into the room and stopped short when they saw Sesshomaru and Inuyasha.
“What're you doing, you two?” questioned Sango. Then, out of the shadows, the unmistakable form of Kagome stepped towards them, her eyes cold and void of all emotion. Her clothes were bloodstained and torn. Everyone gasped in surprise, their eyes widening. Inuyasha felt his blood became hot with rage. He removed his hand from the Tetsusaiga and clenched it into a fist along with his other one.
“NARAKU, YOU BASTARD! HOW DARE YOU TAKE CONTROL OF KAGOME'S CORPSE!” screamed Inuyasha angrily, daring Naraku to come out.
Naraku chuckled as he watched the event through Kanna's mirror.
“What's the matter, Inuyasha? Have you recalled some unpleasant memories?” he questioned, remembering the time when he had turned Kikyo and Inuyasha against each other fifty years before. That event resulted in Inuyasha being sealed to the Sacred Tree, and the death of Kikyo. He couldn't help but wonder if it would turn out the same way this time.
Kagome looked at the group in turn, taking in their appearances. When her gaze fell upon Sesshomaru her eyes widened with recognition. That's Sesshomaru…? He looks familiar… They all do… But why? She wondered. If it wasn't for Kagura's control over her body, her mind would've made her bolt up to Sesshomaru and fall into his strong, comforting arms. She clenched her bow tightly and pulled an arrow out of her quiver, nocking it and aiming at Sesshomaru's heart.
“Prepare to die, Lord Sesshomaru…” she muttered coldly. Sesshomaru's expression softened a bit. He couldn't fight Kagome, under Naraku's control or not.
“Kagome, stop this,” he commanded gently. Kagome pulled back on the bowstring a bit more, getting ready to let the arrow loose. Part of her didn't want to harm him, but the other part was eager to destroy him. Sesshomaru stepped forward towards Kagome, trying to get her to break the spell on herself. Kagome's mind was screaming, “Don't kill him! Please, spare him!”, but she was mostly ignoring it. She could feel her hand loosening around the arrow.
“Kagome, don't! Snap out of it!” pleaded Sango. Kagome didn't listen. She let go of the arrow and it sped towards Sesshomaru, aimed right at his heart.
Naraku smirked, laughing softly.
“It'll all be over soon, Sesshomaru,” he assured smugly.
Sesshomaru was aware of the arrow, but wasn't making any move to avoid it.
“SESSHOMARU, MOVE! GET OUT OF THE WAY!” warned Inuyasha. He whipped out the Tetsusaiga and leapt into the path of the arrow, snapping it in half with the blade before it could hit Sesshomaru dead on. Sesshomaru glared at Inuyasha.
“Stay out of this, Inuyasha,” he snarled. Inuyasha growled.
“Are you out of your mind?! This isn't just your fight, Sesshomaru! Besides, if you die, there will be no one to revive Kagome!” he stated angrily. Sesshomaru had figured that out himself.
“I realize that. But I'm not going to run from or hurt Kagome,” he finalized. Inuyasha understood and nodded.
“Alright, fine. I guess I'll have to back you up then so you don't get yourself killed,” he grumbled. Sesshomaru agreed and took a few more steps closer to Kagome. Kagome felt a twang in her heart, which signaled that Kagura was telling her something. She got out another arrow and nocked it, aiming again at Sesshomaru.
“Do you honestly think I won't kill you…? Well, I'd rethink that if I were you,” she threatened. Sesshomaru didn't flinch at Kagome's words, but merely stepped closer and closer.
“I do not wish to fight you, Kagome. But I know as well as you do that this isn't the way you are. You're not like this at all,” he said, trying to reason with the dead priestess. Kagome's soul told her to loosen her grip on the arrow and she did so, lowering it. After Kagome did this, Sesshomaru knew that her soul was still untouched by Kagura and Naraku, and he was trying to take advantage of that. He moved closer. Kagome's eyes shimmered for a moment with what Sesshomaru thought was life, but it disappeared as suddenly as it came. Kagura's control on her is stronger than I thought. I must work harder to break it, he thought. Inuyasha was getting impatient.
“C'mon, what's takin' ya?! Use the damn Tenseiga already!” he demanded intolerantly. Sesshomaru glared over his shoulder at his younger brother.
“Don't you think I would've done that already if I could, Inuyasha?” he questioned calmly.
“Huh? You mean you can't revive her when she's under Kagura's control?” asked Miroku. Sesshomaru nodded.
“Her body may be dead, but she is linked to Kagura, who is alive. Kagome needs to be completely inanimate in order for the Tenseiga's power to work,” he explained.
“Oh. Well then, we'll just have to break Kagura's spell,” concluded Inuyasha. “That, or we kill Kagura. Either way is fine with me.”
Kagura was watching the whole thing from the dark hallway Kagome came out of, keeping herself hidden. She narrowed her eyes in anger and frustration. Damn that wench, her mind is resisting me! I'll fix that. She sent a threatening command to Kagome.
Kagome got the message and after she heard it, she knew she couldn't betray Kagura: Kill them all… If you resist, I shall know. Defy me, and I'll make you wish you'd never been born. Kagome pointed her bow and arrow at Sesshomaru again, small beads of sweat forming on her face. Even though she knew she had to kill Sesshomaru and the others, her soul kept telling her not to and that it was wrong. The hand that was holding the bow steady, shook. The hand that was holding the arrow steady strained and let go, sending the arrow flying.
“Sesshomaru, LOOK OUT!” warned Shippo. Sesshomaru whipped his attention to Kagome abruptly and heard something whiz past his ear. The arrow lodged itself in the wall, quivering. Sesshomaru glanced at it, then back at Kagome. He knew why Kagome had missed, and it wasn't an accident. He smiled. The others gasped. Even Kagura gasped silently.
“It missed!” squeaked Shippo, surprised.
“At the very last second, something got through to her and stopped her from aiming at him,” realized Miroku. Then an angry voice echoed through the room.
“DAMN YOU, YOU'RE USELESS!” Everyone looked around for the source of the disturbance, but couldn't see anyone.
“I know that voice…” started Inuyasha. “It's…” Kagura stepped out from the dark hallway, standing beside Kagome, who was looking at the ground with her bow slack in her hand. Sesshomaru growled furiously.
“Wind Sorceress Kagura… How dare you use Kagome like this…” he snarled, clenching his hands into fists. Kagura smirked.
“I thought she'd be able to kill you, but it seems I was mistaken. My powers don't seem to be strong enough to take control of more than her body,” she explained. “Which means that I'll just have to kill you all myself.” Inuyasha grunted and pulled out the Tetsusaiga, pointing the blade threateningly at Kagura.
“Very funny. Just try it! Kagura, I'll hack you to pieces!” he snapped. Kagura laughed, opening her fan and holding it in front of her chest.
“It's your funeral. Dance of blades!” She swished her fan through the air and numerous wind blades flew towards Inuyasha. Inuyasha leapt out of the way, doing an aerial flip then landing beside Kirara, who was growling viciously, crouched down, fur bristling.
“Kagome, finish him off!” demanded Kagura, pointing her fan at Kagome. Kagome's eyes widened a bit and she nocked another arrow, aiming at Inuyasha. Inuyasha's eyes widened in both shock and anger. He sped towards Kagura, sword raised over his shoulder.
“KAGURA! YOU'LL PAY FOR USING KAGOME FOR YOUR SICK TRICKS! WIND SCAR!” With one sweep of the Tetsusaiga's blade, a large energy wave sliced through the floorboards, heading straight for Kagura. Kagome shot her arrow at Inuyasha and Inuyasha howled in pain as it pierced his side. Kagura gasped and sent wind blades at the advancing Wind Scar, hoping to weaken it or cancel it out. But to no avail. The Wind Scar sliced through the wind blades and hit Kagura head on. Kagura screamed in pain and disintegrated, finally defeated. Since she was linked to Kagome to control her, when she died, the portion of her spirit within Kagome vanished. Kagome's eyes closed and she fell to the ground, her bow dropping to the floor. Sesshomaru ran up to her and caught her before she could hit the floor.
Naraku's eyes narrowed in anger. Kagura was dead, leaving only himself to fight Sesshomaru and the others.
“Enjoy your time with Kagome while it lasts, Sesshomaru. Because your reunion is going to be cut short,” he threatened silently, standing up and stalking out of the room. He was heading for the main hall to confront the group.