InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Finders, Keepers ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 29: Finders, Keepers


"I was beginning to think you didn't remember me."

Kagome was still trying to digest all that the winged demon had been telling her. She vaguely registered the smugness in Shiori's tone.

"Yes, I _know_ they're not going to be held back for much longer, Eisuke," Shiori growled, the sound off slightly, as if she was turned away.

Someone else had approached. Kagome had heard footsteps, but had been too absorbed in Shiori's speech to realize that they had stopped. Was it one of Shiori's brothers or cousins that Maruku had told them about? "Who's--"

She flinched at the crack of flesh hitting the wall beside her head.

"There's no time for idle pleasantries, human!"

Sharp nails cut into her arm once more as she was grabbed away from the wall.

"Wait! How do you expect me to--"

"You will find a way. If not, Ataru's men will find you, and you will most certainly not like what happens then."

"But why me? Why not one of the others?"

"You were the easiest to capture." She felt Shiori lean closer and turned her face away from the breath that fanned her cheek. "A favor in return for mercy given," the windwalker quickly murmured, as if she didn't want whoever else was with them to hear.

With that, Kagome was dragged to the side and forward.

"You have little time, human, and are wasting it by talking."

"But why can't you get him out?"

"I have other plans. Eisuke get the chains."

The sound of metal striking metal rang in the air. Kagome winced at the shrill sound just as it came again. It had echoed closer to her ears than things had before, which had to mean she was in a smaller room. "Can't they hear the noise?" she nearly shrieked.

"It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does! How do you expect me to get him out, if they know something's up?"

"Your friends will distract them."

"But they won't be right here!"

"There is no time for this! When he wakes, you will help him leave."

"How long will that be?"

"However long it takes! Eisuke, we're leaving!"

"How will I find my way out?"

"Take two lefts, and two rights out of this chamber."

"But, I can't--" She was roughly thrown away from Shiori as the winged demon growled slightly. She vaguely registered the footsteps pounding away as she fell to the ground, landing rather hard on her behind. "-- see," she finished, though she knew the end of the sentence had fallen on an empty room.

Kagome remained on the dirt floor for a moment, drumming her fingers and letting out a huff of breath. "Well, first things first," she murmured aloud. "Find a wall."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>

A faint twang and a rush of air was all that heralded the arrow that skimmed past Inuyasha's shoulder, embedding itself in the ground behind him.

All had been quiet after Maruku's low warning; too quiet, really, as if the trees had ceased their rustling in anticipation of the battle to come. The sudden stillness had made it easy for the hanyou to pick out the whoosh of air, and to shift slightly to the side before the arrow could strike its intended mark. After all, he'd had lots of practice avoiding arrows. Except for when it really counted... but he couldn't dwell on that now. He had to concentrate on getting through whatever forces Ataru had sent for them and finding Kagome.

He sniffed the air, eyes narrowing as he picked up the trail of scent wafting towards him from his attackers. They were hidden in the trees, but that didn't mean he couldn't find them.

He vaguely recognized Sango and Miroku readying themselves for battle where they stood on the path behind him.

Maruku, beside him, readied his bow, drawing one of the few arrows that remained in the quiver at his hip.

"Show yourself!" the windwalker called, training his weapon on the trees to the left side of the path a ways ahead.

His only answer was a light breeze that filtered through the trees.

Inuyasha took a slight step forward, fists clenched as he scanned the trees. "Damn it, this is taking too long!" he growled when he found no sign of movement.

"Be patient, Lord Inuyasha," Maruku murmured, attempting to calm the anxious hanyou.

"Patient! You want me to be _patient_ at a time like this? We have to find Kagome!" Inuyasha cracked his knuckles menacingly, taking a deep breath of air to lock his nose onto the scent of their attackers. "If they won't come out on their own, we'll just have to force them out!" the half dog demon cried, shooting forwards before anyone could stop him.

Instantly, several arrows rained down on him from all sides.

"Inuyasha!" Sango and Miroku cried in surprise, the monk instinctively holding a hand out as if to restrain the hanyou.

None of the missiles found their mark.

"Do not kill them, Inuyasha! They will be dealt with and punished for their crimes!"

Inuyasha didn't bother to turn around and acknowledge Maruku's request. He frowned disapprovingly, but decided to switch tactics and find ways to merely knock the attackers unconscious, or maim them in some non-fatal way. It meant he couldn't use Tetsusaiga, but he didn't need it anyway. He could beat the stupid birds easily, one way or another.

He continued charging forward, leaping into one of the trees beside the path. He snatched the arrow pointed at his chest away from the winged demon that crouched among the branches. The wooden shaft snapped in his fist and he tossed it away carelessly.

The demon's eyes narrowed as it waited for the hanyou's next move.

Inuyasha grinned, baring his fangs and cracking his knuckles, before taking a swipe at the youkai. He missed, but had expected as much as the demon jumped from the tree into the open air above the path, dirty white wings unfolding.

Another arrow whizzed past, skimming the feathers on the bottom edge of the demon's right wing. With a snarl of surprise, it turned towards the new threat, eyes widening as they locked on Maruku fitting another arrow to his bow.

Inuyasha seized the opportunity that presented itself. He leaped after the youkai, wrapping his arms around its neck.

The demon clawed at his forearms, but was unable to break his hold. It tried to toss him off, but he stubbornly held on. It flew towards the recently vacated tree, knocking Inuyasha against the trunk.

The hanyou hadn't hit the wood very hard, however, as he'd shifted his weight at the last minute and thrown the demon slightly off course.

Inuyasha tightened his hold around the winged demon's neck.

Two more winged youkai abruptly left their hiding places to join the fray.

Maruku loosed arrows at each of the newcomers, attempting to draw their attention away from the battle between their comrade and Inuyasha, and towards those standing on the ground.

Sango sent Hiraikotsu flying at the demon closest to her and Miroku, which she idly noted must be of a different clan-- its wings were a mix of several light shades of brown. The youkai easily ducked out of the way of the boomerang's path, grinning smugly down at the demon exterminator. It dove for Sango, claws extended, but had mistakenly forgotten about her weapon's return trip. The bone boomerang slammed into the youkai's back, knocking it to the ground unconscious.

The other unengaged attacker, slightly smaller than the others, was nimbly dodging the arrows Maruku shot its way. The windwalker was running out of missiles, however.

Inuyasha shifted his weight forward when the demon he was currently using as a ride charged another tree. The youkai's flight path began to angle downwards as it became slightly top-heavy.

Inuyasha shifted again, the air whipping his hair back as they went diving towards the ground.

Just before smacking into the dirt, he released his hold on the demon's neck and shoved himself away. The youkai had no time to react as it smashed headfirst into the base of the tree.

Inuyasha rolled to a stop and leaped to his feet, ready to fend off any new attacks.

Three new assailants were heading straight for him from the trees above.

"Now, this is more like it," the hanyou grinned, baring his fangs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>

Kagome was glad she couldn't tell if anyone was around to see her crawling across the floor in her search for something she could use as a guide around the room. She'd been smart enough to start off looking behind her, instead of before her, so that she didn't find the doorway and accidentally leave. She'd surely be lost if that ever happened. Not to mention Ataru's guards would catch her, and she'd never help Morihiko escape.

She found a wooden wall fairly quickly, and pushed to her feet, wondering which way she should go from there. Frowning, she turned around to face what she assumed was the way she'd come. From where she'd been before, the ringing sound of the chains being hit by Eisuke had come from her right. That was probably the best place to start.

Running one hand carefully along the wall, and keeping the other out in front, she took several tentative steps forward, hoping there was nothing in the room that she could possibly trip over.

What was she going to do when she found the unconscious windwalker? Unless he was in his bird form, which she doubted, he would certainly be too big for her to carry out alone. She could try to drag him out, she supposed, but that would take way too long, and she would have to somehow guide them around, as well. To do that, she needed at least one hand free.

Kagome sighed. It was going to be nearly impossible for her to get Morihiko out on her own. Hopefully, one of the others would show up soon, and she wouldn't have to worry.

Forcing herself to focus on finding the winged demon before worrying about what would come afterwards, she concentrated on where she was placing her feet. Her steps became bolder, though she still shuffled her feet along the dirt floor. Hopefully she'd reach another wall soon, and--

"Definitely a wall," she muttered, wincing at the loud thump her shoe made when it connected with the wooden corner in front of her.

She held her breath, listening hard for any sign that someone had been alerted by the noise.

When all remained quiet, she allowed herself to relax slightly. Youkai could move more quietly than humans, but surely any sort of disturbance from a prisoner's chamber would bring them running.

Squaring her shoulders, Kagome turned with the new wall and began to follow it the same way she had done before.

Where were the others? She hoped they were all right.

Shiori had told her the others would fight Ataru, while she helped Morihiko escape. That meant that the earlier attackers weren't really intent on fighting, didn't it?

A small smile tilted her lips. Inuyasha would've been ready to chase after whoever had taken her once he realized she was missing. Would the others be able to stop him? Surely they could talk, or at least knock, some idea of caution into him before he got too far. He wasn't as reckless as he used to be, and she was thankful for that small favor.

The others would be worried, as well, but Sango and Miroku at least had the common sense to assess the situation before rushing headlong into it. And from what she'd witnessed, Maruku was the same. He'd been the one to save Shippo and herself when they'd found the puppet Naraku had used to lay a trap for them.

Kagome unconsciously worried at her lower lip with her teeth. Could Ataru have laid some sort of trap?

Could she be part of the bait now?

Inhaling sharply, she stopped, every muscle stiffening. Was it Shiori's way of trying to aid Ataru once more? By giving him another bargaining tool to use?

The winged demon had been so insistent that Kagome get Morihiko out. Would she be so vehement about getting back at Ataru if it was all an act? But Maruku had said Shiori was very good at the art of deception...

And Shiori had said she had other plans, when asked why she couldn't get the unconscious windwalker out herself. Did that mean...?

A low, weak groan interrupted Kagome's fearful musings.

"Hello?" she called softly, wondering if she'd just imagined the sound.

The rapid beating of her own heart was her only answer.

Hesitantly, she slid one of her feet further out in front of her, searching for anything that might be lying on the floor. When she encountered nothing, she stepped forward, forcing herself to calm down and resume her search for Morihiko.

Had he been the one to make that noise? Was he waking up? Shiori had said they'd stopped whoever drugged him, but it could take hours for him to come around if it was close to the time she'd arrived. From what the winged demon had said, they didn't have hours in which to escape. Probably not even one hour. How was she going to pull this off?

She shuffled forward carefully, ears still straining to pick up any sound outside the ones she herself was making.

The silence was broken by a metallic clatter, similar to the clinking of the rings on Miroku's staff.

Kagome stopped moving and tapped her extended foot along the ground. Her toes bumped something, the clinking sounding once more as a result.

Keeping one hand on the wall for balance, she crouched down and reached out to find the object with her fingers. Just as she suspected, it was a chain, and a somewhat crudely made one at that, if the roughness of the links was any indication.

The other winged demon had cut the chains, so this could be an end attached to Morihiko, or one attached to nothing. She needed to find out before she yanked on it, and lost what looked like the most promising way to find the unconscious windwalker.

Leaving the chain on the floor, she turned and started forward. The position was rather uncomfortable, as the need for contact with the metal links made crouching necessary. She wobbled along, knowing she'd have to trace her way back if the chain led to nothing.

"This would be so much easier if I could see!" she grumbled, resisting the urge to pound her fists into the ground in frustration. It would certainly be much faster than her blind searching. But she had no other options.

Her fingers finally encountered something other than metal. She jerked her hand back in surprise at the softness, afraid she'd run across some sort of insect resting on the chain. Slowly, she felt down at her side once more for the rough links, pausing and swallowing before sliding her hand forward.

Whatever it was hadn't moved. It stayed put when she brushed it with the tips of her fingers, and again when she tugged slightly with her index and middle fingers.

What was it?

She scooted forward, resting on her knees to relieve the ache in her legs.

It was soft... but a little stiff as well... and little bits of dirt occasionally came away with her fingers.

Further investigation proved it was a lot bigger than she'd first thought. She ran her hand lightly over the top, brushing lightly through... feathers!

She shook her head in slight exasperation. How stupid was she, to not realize what she'd found right away?

Mentally chastising herself, she reached both hands out to follow the line of what she hoped was one of Morihiko's wings.

Besides being dirty, some of the feathers felt as if they were torn or broken. In a couple of patches, she felt merely stubs. So much for hoping the windwalker would not be treated too harshly in his captivity. She shuddered, glad she couldn't see if any of the dirt collecting on her fingers was dried blood, and not just bits of dust from the ground.

Luck seemed to be with her for the moment. As she'd moved ahead, she found the end of the wing, where it connected with the windwalker's back. In her relief, she'd even forgotten the intensified pain in her legs from resuming her crouching gait.

"Well, I've found him. Now what?"

As if in answer to her query, another low moan came from her right, startling her into losing her balance. She fell backwards, catching herself on her hands.

"Now you decide to make noise? After I already found you the hard way?" she muttered, half expecting a similar response. The unconscious demon stayed quiet, however.

Taking a deep breath and letting it out, Kagome remained where she was. She'd finally found Morihiko-- at least she assumed it was Morihiko, since there was nothing she could go by that proved it wasn't.

How on earth was she going to get him out of the room, let alone out of the building they were in?

"You don't have any ideas, do you?"

There was no response.

"Didn't think so."